Moderator Moderator

Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report

Trail conditions should be $$$ for much of NorCal, until Tuesday afternoon. Then, rain. So get it in while you can.

Cold temps are here to stay.

Photos and reports are appreciated.

Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-screen-shot-2018-12-02-8.24.42-pm.jpg

Rain Totals past four days
    Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-screen-shot-2018-12-02-8.59.01-pm.jpg

Max Temps
    Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-screen-shot-2018-12-02-8.25.49-pm.jpg

Min Temps
    Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-screen-shot-2018-12-02-8.26.04-pm.jpg

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Good ride window today, albeit cold.

Rain doesnít look too bad tomorrow so there will be some great riding opportunities this week.

Hike/bike with a little shovel and set those puddles free
    IPA will save America

wretch
    Anyone got any beta on Nevada City or Auburn? Rains seems to be holding off for the week so hoping to get down there for some pedal time if trails are not too saturated...Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Demo and SC mountains got a lot of water - how are the conditions right now? I may consider taking a half day tomorrow morning if it's not too muddy. Might be one of the last good ride opportunities of the season. Looks like it will be raining at least somewhat during the morning though. hmm.

Hella Olde
    Fort Ord was drained and dry Sunday with the exception of a few tiny puddles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Anyone got any beta on Nevada City or Auburn? Rains seems to be holding off for the week so hoping to get down there for some pedal time if trails are not too saturated...Thanks in advance!
    Iím riding Auburn this afternoon and will report back. The window is going to shut on Tuesday though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Uhhhh, guess i should have posted this in the CURRENT Conditions Thread. MONDAY!

-9 hardy souls hiked into Toro Park Yesterday on a GLORIOUS morning to log about 36 hours of much needed trail maintenance on Pipeline Trail after the C.E.S. race and a long dry Summer's beating.....

If anyone's in the neighborhood (Today) please let it rest and solidify.
    Tomorrows anticipated rain will help with this too.....

- By Thurs./Fri. it's going to be ridiculously gooooood!!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    I just rode EMT and U-Conn. Somebody put a lot of work into digging drainage on EMT and it is in great shape. Many thanks to that person/crew. There was not a soft spot to be found on the trail today. U-Conn is perfect.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    I just rode EMT and U-Conn. Somebody put a lot of work into digging drainage on EMT and it is in great shape. Many thanks to that person/crew. There was not a soft spot to be found on the trail today. U-Conn is perfect.
    Those were big projects that took a couple years. Near the dorms, they dumped huge piles of rock which were then wheelbarrowed into the trouble areas. The soupy spots wer completely recut and rebuilt with rock underneath so water could cross. That area has been studied and restudied by Matt, Emma and MBOSC, listening to what the water said every big storm.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post
    Iím riding Auburn this afternoon and will report back. The window is going to shut on Tuesday though.
    Meh. Pretty weak system. Looks only like .2 on the Euro by this time on Thursday, and .35 on the GFS. That's nothing.

I bet Auburn stays good all week, and especially the upcoming weekend.

GB was good yesterday. Just a handful of muddy/standing water spots that you can't avoid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Those were big projects that took a couple years. Near the dorms, they dumped huge piles of rock which were then wheelbarrowed into the trouble areas. The soupy spots wer completely recut and rebuilt with rock underneath so water could cross. That area has been studied and restudied by Matt, Emma and MBOSC, listening to what the water said every big storm.
    Somebody cleaned up some of the drains on EMT over the weekend. Lots of fresh digging in the dirt. It worked!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    JNT was excellent today. Stick, with just slightly squishy mud in a few patches, plus the 3-4 fallen trees as folks mentioned last week.

Also, big thank you to whoever shoveled and tamped dirt at the base of numerous babyheads throughout the trail. I know it was a mtn biker because of the tire marks that stopped right before each one. THANK YOU!

mtbr member
    Best Iíve seen SC in a looooong time. So fun busting out a quick 4 laps. When riding in big groups it usually takes us an hour per lap. Today my total ride time was right at 2 hours. No need for breaks when the loam is calling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Best Iíve seen SC in a looooong time. So fun busting out a quick 4 laps. When riding in big groups it usually takes us an hour per lap. Today my total ride time was right at 2 hours. No need for breaks when the loam is calling.
    It was truly epic.
    Mrwhlr's stepmom rides a 5 spot

fc
    Went for a creek trail ride near home. The fish have returned and I saw them indeed. Monster salmon maybe two feet in length?Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-2018-12-004.jpg
    IPA will save America

singletrack bound
    Nisene was good.....
    I just got in. only a couple sick spots.

mtbr member
    Auburn was sweet and tacky. 10 miles and 10 puddles including usually soggy Culvert. Only saw 2 riders the whole ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-01e03e7d-2087-43f8-a67e-a841684bae2a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Rode JMP/Redwood as part of my commute ride this afternoon, on my Soma Wolverine. Was excellent! The bottom areas had a few soggy spots, but nothing that threatened traction too much on 42mm WTB Resolutes. East Ridge Trail is riding better than I have seen it in a long time, the rain softened the dirt a lot and let it repair from so long of being too dried up. Hopefully tomorrow's rain doesn't turn everything into too much of a swamp, will be looking ride my trail bike there later this week.

mtbr member
    China Camp is still really good on the west side. Minimal mud and no puddles. Rode up from Dominecan. Grabby and fast. Pulled some broom.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post
    Auburn was sweet and tacky. 10 miles and 10 puddles including usually soggy Culvert. Only saw 2 riders the whole ride.
    Nice. Thanks for the heads up!

NedwannaB

Marin T&R report

Hero dirt and not a single other rider out in Tamarancho today, but the precipitation is on its way. If itís just a light day of it the weekend should still be good to go!👍😎
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-1a643f6b-1837-4429-b455-ecf4582fc13e.jpg  

Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-98aa95b1-c022-41e5-adb2-3b8016736747.jpg  

Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Any East Bay folks ride Briones or Crockett over the last day or two? I have a ride window midday tomorrow, but hope that tonight's rain doesn't make it too slimy.

fc

Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report

So I sat at home working and i was cold. Put on a couple layers, still cold. Turned up the heater and still cold. There was just no warmth coming from within.

Went out for a lunch ride from home at the hallowed Fremont Older. Not a biker in sight, just a few hikers with sticks. Trail conditions were.... divine.

Toyons were closed so I decided to go do the DH run to the reservoir. You know, it's that downhill that's steep, off-camber and loose, really loose. Well today, there was no slip. Just a few ruts here and there but you could pick any line across the trail. I was going pretty good and a hiker way ahead of me waved me by. It's as if he said, "do your thing, no need to brake."

Anyway, on the way up, I said hi to him and we chatted about hiking. I was impressed cause he looked hella old and his knees were so rickety going up the steeps. He said he biked too and it was on. We talked for a while until we hit the peak and introduced ourselves as it was time to move on. We both said, "WAIT..." Turns out we know each other. We rode together about a dozen times during the heydey of Team Armadillo Willy's.

We exchanged a lot of stories and high fives. It was a glorious and warm time on an otherwise cold and gray day.Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-img_0853-1-.jpg

Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-img_0856.jpg

Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-.jpg
    Last edited by fc; 1 Week Ago at 06:45 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    You know, it's that downhill that's steep, off-camber and loose, really loose. Well today, there was no slip.
    I know that downhill too well.
    It screams ďchicken sh-tĒ every time I ride it and tingles the scars on my left elbow from a crash there at the left hairpin near the bottom 20+ yrs ago.

Maybe Iíll ride it Wed/Thurs and silence the hill, even if only for a day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Anyway, on the way up, I said hi to him and we chatted about hiking. I was impressed cause he looked hella old and his knees were so rickety going up the steeps. He said he biked too and it was on. We talked for a while until we hit the peak and introduced ourselves as it was time to move on. We both said, "WAIT..." Turns out we know each other. We rode together about a dozen times during the heydey of Team Armadillo Willy's.

We exchanged a lot of stories and high fives. It was a glorious and warm time on an otherwise cold and gray day.
    ^^ Cool story! Always good to meet/reconnect with folks on the trail, and it always pays to be an ambassador for our sport, especially in a place like the Bay Area where you really never know who you will encounter. If he hadn't been an old riding acquaintance, you still would have made a good impression towards someone concerning MTBrs, which is always a good thing.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyStein View Post
    ^^ Cool story! Always good to meet/reconnect with folks on the trail, and it always pays to be an ambassador for our sport, especially in a place like the Bay Area where you really never know who you will encounter. If he hadn't been an old riding acquaintance, you still would have made a good impression towards someone concerning MTBrs, which is always a good thing.
    really cool part is we only realized we knew each other when we introduced ourselves in the end.
    IPA will save America

fc
    We've had a rough month Bay Area. First, calamity for many in Paradise, CA and then 2 weeks of heavy smoke here. Then it's rained almost every single day since. But the last storm was very minor and we're looking at about 9 days of us ahead of us. . Get out from your borough holes squirrels.Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-screen-shot-2018-12-05-10.15.54-am.png

48 hour rainfall
    Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-screen-shot-2018-12-05-10.16.59-am.jpg

here's the actual rainfall in the Demo Forest by Sulphur Spring trail.
    Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-screen-shot-2018-12-05-10.26.34-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    rode Manzanita this morning at skeggs, couple puddles here and there on the way to it from second parking lot, but since manzanita is a lot of rock it was fine.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    rode Manzanita this morning at skeggs, couple puddles here and there on the way to it from second parking lot, but since manzanita is a lot of rock it was fine.
    That's all you rode?

Isn't that about a mile?
    IPA will save America

Jed Peters
    GB trail conditions are incredibly optimal. Based on my local knowledge auburn would be incredible w/ no issues as well into next week.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    breh...you like in your 20's?!! you ever met some of da guys in their 60's who have ridden there like, forever! nice job on gettin it while some of us are at work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    breh...you like in your 20's?!! you ever met some of da guys in their 60's who have ridden there like, forever! nice job on gettin it while some of us are at work.
    23 and only been riding SC for less than 3 years. I still remember one of my first rides there where we climbed Emma/UConn and then rode a few single tracks that paralleled the main fire road up to twin gates. We turned around and headed down the singletracks that paralleled the other side of the road, and then back down UConn and Emma. And ever since then, Iíve been hooked. Lol

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man View Post
    GB trail conditions are incredibly optimal. Based on my local knowledge auburn would be incredible w/ no issues as well into next week.
    'incredibly optimal', Is that better than hero dirt or not quite?
    IPA will save America

Jed Peters
    'incredibly optimal', Is that better than hero dirt or not quite?
    Better, literally like velcro out there...and it drains incredibly well so no trail damage as a result of the heavy rains.

fc
    John Nicholas Trail has six areas that require dismount since blocked by trees.Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-47488949_10155830699791003_6821295560910176256_o.jpg

Dec 3-6, 2018 Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report-47393052_10155830728396003_4184352565070135296_o.jpg

If you're willing and able and safe, help out.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Just a soggy little Dero ride for me today. Nothing really to report other than riding on fire roads and gravel paths.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's all you rode?

Isn't that about a mile?
    did a quick 5.5 mile loop based around that trail. in and out and at my desk by 8:45am.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Uhhhh, guess i should have posted this in the CURRENT Conditions Thread. MONDAY!

-9 hardy souls hiked into Toro Park Yesterday on a GLORIOUS morning to log about 36 hours of much needed trail maintenance on Pipeline Trail after the C.E.S. race and a long dry Summer's beating.....

If anyone's in the neighborhood (Today) please let it rest and solidify.
    Tomorrows anticipated rain will help with this too.....

- By Thurs./Fri. it's going to be ridiculously gooooood!!!
    Pretty much perfect today, thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode Dirt Alpine today. The steep singletrack climb was too muddy and slippery and I had to walk it, even with my 3Ē wide tires. The top 1/2 of Alpine was good. Windy Hill Spring Ridge Trail was in good condition.

mtbr member
    anyone go to lake cunningham?

were the dirt jumps open?