Moderator Moderator

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report

Still nice temps and weather for much of NorCal. Trails should be pretty nice now after the rains. And, no rain in sight for the weekend or next week.

Trail conditions and photos are appreciated.

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2018-12-27-8.30.59-pm.jpg

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2018-12-27-8.33.12-pm.jpg

Max Temps
    Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2018-12-27-8.29.27-pm.jpg

Min Temps
    Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2018-12-27-8.29.45-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Rode Henry Coe today--Hunting Hollow entrance----Jim Donneley over to Grizzle Gulch and around------ton of work but the trails are in super condition. Had ice in the parking lot at 9 AM---chilly---this place always kicks my ass

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Rode Wilder to the gates and beyond this afternoon. Loam in the forest was perfect. The view coming back down to Wilder at sunset was terrific. Cold, but no wind.
    Realized I drank too much egg-nog last week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Downieville

Rode Downieville today. Climbed up first / third Divide to the bridge at the bottom of “the climb” where coincidentally the snow line was. Trails were damp but frozen so not messy at all. Came down 2nd / 1st Divide. Saw one jogger on 1st Divide, had the rest of the trails to myself. Fun to ride Downieville in such different conditions than the hot / dusty summer months. Think when I started the ride real feel was sub 20 degrees!

mtbr member
    Drove from soCal to home, put away the suitcase and immediately jumped on the bike and rode local trail. Cows have shredded about 25% of trail but the rest was rideable albeit not great conditions. Oh well, better than sitting at home pigging our on junk food!
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickin’ sweet!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Rode Downieville today. Climbed up first / third Divide to the bridge at the bottom of “the climb” where coincidentally the snow line was. Trails were damp but frozen so not messy at all. Came down 2nd / 1st Divide. Saw one jogger on 1st Divide, had the rest of the trails to myself. Fun to ride Downieville in such different conditions than the hot / dusty summer months. Think when I started the ride real feel was sub 20 degrees!
    Was wondering about your temp. Cold here in the South Bay.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm planning a family bike ride with the kids tomorrow. Anyone know about or have a guess about the conditions at Purisima or Arastradero?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I'm planning a family bike ride with the kids tomorrow. Anyone know about or have a guess about the conditions at Purisima or Arastradero?
    Arastradero should be nice, but a bit cold tomorrow. I cut through there about 2 days ago to hit the little jump bowl and everything was open, no mud to speak of.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yesterday was trail work, cutting a new trail at Laguna Honda. Prepping the tread basically amounts to clearing trash from hobo camps, looks like they were up to something in this one...

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-hyjap48.jpg
    Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-glfbx5c.jpg
    Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-te1c6iq.jpg

Yearly "I forgot I hate fire roads and need a reminder" adventure planned for today.

fc
    I'm riding somewhere! Where is it warmest?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I rode Annadel yesterday and the weather was stunning - mid 60s. I was surprised that is was wetter than I thought it would be. Most trails were in great shape but most had some puddles.
    Ran into a guy that showed me some of the "good stuff "! Super fun.

NedwannaB
    That "guy" don't know Jack! If its that guy you're talking about.. :0 Super awesome I'm heading up again.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Introduced another local to the trail. He seemed pretty psyched. Trail is in shit conditions so I told him he had to suspend judgement. Even in its current crap state I had a blast. 9.1 miles.

On the backside I was storming down what I call the Race Track. Near the end I could see some bloody gore, I was going at a decent clip and was on it instantly ... dead cow ... sitting right in the middle of the trail. I actually had just enough time to execute a big bunny hop and cleared it, haha. First time I have jumped a dead cow!

Weather was as pristine as pristine can be!

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-d74f88a4-bdf6-40b5-bcaf-43bbfdf1848c.jpeg
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickin’ sweet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    That "guy" don't know Jack! If its that guy you're talking about.. :0 Super awesome I'm heading up again.
    Haha, thanks brotha for letting me follow you on those super fun trails. Such a beautiful day yesterday at Annadel! I had a blast!
    UC tomorrow ...

NedwannaB
    What's your start and time frame for ride? I'm not sure my Auburn trip is still on for tomorrow.

fc
    I did what is perhaps the most brutal ride from my home. Schit road to the trailhead and the most miserable climb in the these parts.

Good news is I saw my old buddy Sinyard and the climb was easy. Getting home suckkkkked.Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_1589.jpg

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_1590.jpg

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_1592.jpg

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_1593.jpg

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2018-12-29-1.38.02-pm.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    What's your start and time frame for ride? I'm not sure my Auburn trip is still on for tomorrow.
    sent PM

Moderator Moderator

Just a short ride at Arastradero for me today. Stayed out way too late playing hockey last night.

Very sketchy little jump I found, had to do a roll up on it first. Still got wet!

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_0869.jpg

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_0868.jpg

Sweet Land Cruiser, mint condition.

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_0866.jpg
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    That puddle gap does not look safe...

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    That puddle gap does not look safe...
    Some kids probably put it there. I don't recommend hitting it!

mtbr member
    SC was amazing and no Ranger danger. Introduced a family who usually ride Demo to SC.. they loved it..I was on a orange demo from

Hitting Georgtown shuttle tomorrow and Auburn on NYD..
    THC..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Rode Annadel yesterday (12/29) and its still wet and some muddy sections. The descent on Rough-Go is where I got my outfit muddied up, but overall it was nice there today. Warm weather too! Just vest and arm sleeves. No need for leg warmer or jacket.

SOG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    SC was amazing and no Ranger danger. Introduced a family who usually ride Demo to SC.. they loved it..I was on a orange demo from

Hitting Georgtown shuttle tomorrow and Auburn on NYD..
    THC..

I like your style rode there too and stopped by Los Pericos for tacos afterward. Conditions were mint and love all the positive vibes from other riders - truly a special place.

mtbr member
    trails in SC were riding great today. Tons of people out having a great time.

fc
    Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_0493-1-.jpgI took my son out riding!! It was a game-time decision and we passed Demo and kept on going to Wilder UC. Did a couple trails and then the trail where the dogs make a lot of noise. Maaan, that trail is tricky.

Anyway, waited two minutes after 2nd descent and went back. He was on his bike just dejected. He said he hit a tree with his right hand. Ugggh, my kid is inconsolable when these things happen. His college baseball career starts in two weeks and he is very, very concerned.

Anyway, it's not broken so it may be sprained. We skipped the doctor as he is sleeping now. We'll see how it is later and we'll go to the doctor.

It frickin sucks but whatchu gonna do.
    IPA will save America

Not helpful.
    Packed parking lot at Hogan today. Lots of people out enjoying the warm sun and trails. Dennis, Char and I got a hell of a lot done trimming back several trails. Buddy Mike and his boy came up when we were on the way out and went and trimmed other sections of trail with the battery chainsaw Mike got for Xmas. I may go up again tomorrow and do more work. It's just perfectly gorgeous out there, and even hiking it is a blast.

Not helpful.
    Good luck, mang. He's young, so hopefully it should be ok in a couple of days.

You just can't sit on the sofa hoping nothing will happen- you gotta get out and enjoy life!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Good luck, mang. He's young, so hopefully it should be ok in a couple of days.

You just can't sit on the sofa hoping nothing will happen- you gotta get out and enjoy life!
    Right on, thank you. One saving grace is he asked me to take him out on this ride.

I just have to remember, he's a jumper, but he doesn't like the rocky/rooty/tight stuff.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator

He’ll be fine. I broke and dislocated fingers so many times wrestling. They heal up in a week or two at that age. I think I broke my nose more than 10 times, now that is painful and takes a while to heal, as do ribs.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    He’ll be fine. I broke and dislocated fingers so many times wrestling. They heal up in a week or two at that age. I think I broke my nose more than 10 times, now that is painful and takes a while to heal, as do ribs.
    Now here's a mod that you don't want to mess with!

(Yeah, the other mods are pussies. You heard me.)

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Now here's a mod that you don't want to mess with!

(Yeah, the other mods are pussies. You heard me.)
    Nah, I was the guy who always got beat up! And I have an ugly nose and ears to show for it!

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Rode Skeggs today 12/30 and it’s nice and dry out there today! Chilly at 40-43 degrees this morning. Lots of dry leaves but still have tons of traction (or maybe that’s just the 2.6 size Butcher/Purgatory tires?). Trail is clear, NO fallen trees.

Blue Blossom
    Manzanita
    Resolution

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0493 (1).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	335.8 KB 
ID:	1231229 Ugggh, my kid is inconsolable when these things happen.

You being out riding with him is consoling enuff. He'll look back on you pampering him in a different way. Albeit years from now....:0

NedwannaB

Sweet Land Cruiser, mint condition.

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	436.2 KB 
ID:	1231098
    Nice opening pixels fitee, is that your FJ or just oogling someone else's in the parking lot? My bro has a couple in his vehicle quiver. 👍

Moderator Moderator
    Nice opening pixels fitee, is that your FJ or just oogling someone else's in the parking lot? My bro has a couple in his vehicle quiver. 
    Just oogling.....my wife won't let me have any more toys! But this FJ literally looked like it rolled off the showroom floor.

NedwannaB
    Those are good for a down payment on a beach front condo on Maui. :0

mtbr member
    I am my own punching bag

I rode in Upper Bidwell this afternoon, rigid SS. I've done this many times in the past, and in a park that is nearly one continuous rock garden it can be painful. But since getting back on the bike this month I haven't had any setting on descents except Wide Open Throttle, so it felt abusive today. No amount of hopping, manualing, weight-shifting or line choice can fully make up for pedaling and pumping to accelerate towards the worst rocky section

I really need to get my suspension fork repaired or replaced. Sounds better than slowing down

mtbr member

My best week of riding in a long time. 96 miles and 20k’ elevation gain. Perfect combination of no school, no work, and perfect weather.

Saw a little dust out there today in the South Bay. Bring back the rain!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hit up Carlmont on Friday, its running quite fantastic at the moment. I've seen way too many people get broke off in the last week and was nice to have an injury free day. All the redone jumps are running smooth, its a great time to check it out if ya like jumps. Got a gopro 7 black over the holidays and gave it another spin. I love it, absolutely kills the need for a gimbal for me provided the lighting is good because the stabilization is crap in poor lighting like late afternoon riding at uc.

https://youtu.be/4InyyFWmZIQ

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Making it look way too easy. A few changes up there.

More pie please

Nice to see the green begining to appear in the hills...

Windy Hill OSP

TheDero™

Los Altos Hills

Happy New Year everyone!
    ///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    There is also a Los pericos in Dublin. Ca.

mtbr member
    Rode Georgetown for the first time yesterday 12/30..
    Omg the trails and dirt!
    California Expeditions was a great guide/ shuttle service!!!

Josh Bender was our guide...!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Rode Georgetown for the first time yesterday 12/30..
    Omg the trails and dirt!
    California Expeditions was a great guide/ shuttle service!!!

Josh Bender was our guide...!
    Josh is the godfather of Huck to Flat!!!!!!
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome

Name:	IMG_0493 (1).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	335.8 KB 
ID:	1231229I took my son out riding!! It was a game-time decision and we passed Demo and kept on going to Wilder UC. Did a couple trails and then the trail where the dogs make a lot of noise. Maaan, that trail is tricky.

Anyway, waited two minutes after 2nd descent and went back. He was on his bike just dejected. He said he hit a tree with his right hand. Ugggh, my kid is inconsolable when these things happen. His college baseball career starts in two weeks and he is very, very concerned.

Anyway, it's not broken so it may be sprained. We skipped the doctor as he is sleeping now. We'll see how it is later and we'll go to the doctor.

Sorry to hear that yer boy got injured. May I recommend running narrower bars

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Sorry to hear that yer boy got injured. May I recommend running narrower bars
    That was definitely part of the problem!!!
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Those are good for a down payment on a beach front condo on Maui. :0
    Ikon in a parking lot in Palo Alto. This one will leave a mark on your pocket book.

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_4065.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    That was definitely part of the problem!!!
    How's the hand today?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Del Valle Sunday. Hero dirt in shade & drying dirt in the sun & wind. Sweet trails. Reservoir is so low the sand-bar islands have appeared.

Dec 28-30, 2018 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-i-nsmnjpp-xl.jpg

Catfish ...

fc
    How's the hand today?
    Hand is good with a slight sprain. Doctor X-rayed it and all clear. The real test is he played Fortnite last night with his squad. Leaves today for school in LA. Three week visit, much love and 2 ER visits. Ha ha!

IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post
    Del Valle Sunday. Hero dirt in shade & drying dirt in the sun & wind. Sweet trails. Reservoir is so low the sand-bar islands have appeared.

Name:	i-nsmNjpP-XL.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	1231429

Catfish ...
    Looking good moto
    IPA will save America