Dawn ride at China Camp video- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dawn ride at China Camp video

I just got myself a HD170 video camera and took it out for a quick jaunt around China Camp yesterday morning to test it out. Hope y'all enjoy the clip. Hopefully I'll get some kayak footage next week with it.

from Dave Splat Le on Vimeo.

FYI, I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but due to a several-year hiatus from riding (misplaced priorities: job, career, a social life, etc), I haven't posted much. I'm trying to get out on my bike more these days, so expect to see me around here more.

cheers!
    -dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I like some of the camera angles. It gave me a chance to show my wife where I usually ride during lunch. Thanks.

ballbuster

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide
    I just got myself a HD170 video camera and took it out for a quick jaunt around China Camp yesterday morning to test it out. Hope y'all enjoy the clip. Hopefully I'll get some kayak footage next week with it.

from Dave Splat Le on Vimeo.

FYI, I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but due to a several-year hiatus from riding (misplaced priorities: job, career, a social life, etc), I haven't posted much. I'm trying to get out on my bike more these days, so expect to see me around here more.

cheers!
    -dave
    Good choice in music, too.

Hey, I live in Oakland as well, and hit boringassChinaCamp on a regular basis on Sunday mornings (when I can). If you ever wanna go for a ride, lemmie know.

mtbr member
    Pimpbot, is there any good singletrack over here? I grew up down in the south bay, so I used to hit Saratoga Gap, Long Ridge, Grizzly Peak, etc all the time. I got familiar with the Marin area trails and Skeggs when living in SF, but since moving to the east bay I haven't really learned the trails over here.

I find that China Camp and Tamarancho are good for getting in my M-F singletrack fix in, as it only takes about one large coffee (about 25 min) to get there in the early morning. I generally try to get in 10-20ish miles 5 days a week.

ballbuster

Sure...

Pimpbot, is there any good singletrack over here? I grew up down in the south bay, so I used to hit Saratoga Gap, Long Ridge, Grizzly Peak, etc all the time. I got familiar with the Marin area trails and Skeggs when living in SF, but since moving to the east bay I haven't really learned the trails over here.

I find that China Camp and Tamarancho are good for getting in my M-F singletrack fix in, as it only takes about one large coffee (about 25 min) to get there in the early morning. I generally try to get in 10-20ish miles 5 days a week.
    Joaquin Miller, Redwood, Tilden, and Lake Chabot pretty much all butt up against each other... you can string together a pretty long ride between them. Downside is, most of it is fireroad. JM has some fun techy singletrack, but not many miles of it. The Skyline singletrack is a fun swoopy ride, but its basically down the median of Skyline Blvd. Folks look at you funny... but who cares.. its legal!

Get yourself on the Beers, Bikes and Tacos Google Group. Many of us Oakland and Berkeley folks frequent that for rides.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've been up to Redwood a couple times, but I couldn't really get into it. I tried look up the Beers, Bikes and Tacos group, but the search couldn't find it for some reason, do you have a direct link?

Frankly, I enjoy riding by myself most of the time... but I'm always up for a group ride just to meet some new people every now and then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

it's only boring if

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    and hit boringassChinaCamp on a regular basis on Sunday mornings

you're riding the wrong side
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

ballbuster

Oh...

Quote Originally Posted by Brah
    you're riding the wrong side
    I'm well aware of the fun stuff. No need to discuss here, but I hear ya.

The fun stuff is also less singlespeed friendly, and I usually ride my SS out there.

commie
    Hitler rocks!

Pimpbloat, stop blaming your equipment for your lack of skills/fitness.

mtbr member
    Nice Video. Thanks for sharing. Havent been to China Camp yet but will soon.

ballbuster

WTF you talking about, Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik
    Hitler rocks!

*pic*

Pimpbloat, stop blaming your equipment for your lack of skills/fitness.
    I never blamed the bike.

Yeah, I'm an unskilled fatass. You are soooooo right. Must be great knowing you are superior to the rest of the world, you narcissist. So I'm a fatass. I'm happy with myself and my cycling, although I wish I could ride more... and I can lose weight. Your problems will only be solved by years of therapy. Perhaps you should spend more time focusing on yourself instead of judging others.

I just know my limitations. I know if I go somewhere with hills straight up and down, I'm going to have to walk up them on the SS. I'd rather ride. I can go down the steeps just fine. I love H. I take my geared bike over to that side of the hill from time to time and have a blast.

Right now, I'm focusing on the SS to get some more heavy lifting (my own tucas, and no gears to fall back on) in my routine. I do make the paved grind to the summit part of my route. I clean it on the SS about half the time. I used to make it all the time.

Fine, I don't have skills or fitness. Happy? I still have fun and I don't give a crap. I don't ride my bike to prove anything to anybody but myself. Heck, I even race occasionally... in Sport class (recently renamed, I know) and I usually come in the bottom third. My 'unit' is plenty big without having to whip it out and show everybody, thankyouverymuch. I'm nursing injuries, have two small kids, one with cancer, and a full time job, loads of projects around the house, and trying to make ends meet....so you'll forgive me if all I can manage to squeeze in is a 2-3 hour half day ride once every other week. I make the most of my meditation time on the bike.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-15-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Uncle

PM sent.

I tried look up the Beers, Bikes and Tacos group, but the search couldn't find it for some reason, do you have a direct link?
    Dig the video. Quite honestly most of the videos that get posted up here are terrible. I'm by no means saying it's an easy thing to make. Video footage of people riding cross country trails are rarely interesting, and the images fall flat. Combine that with the common adolescent testosterock "metal" (think Limp Biskit) that they often weave in, and it just comes out really kind of pathetic.

Yours by contrast, is the funnest non-pro ride video I've seen on here in a long time. The angles are interesting (it's fun seeing the brake fingers twitching for example) and the music fits (not trying to convince us that you're getting ready for an MMA cage match). Worth watching again (will do so now) and definitely makes me want to get up really early and head down N. San Pedro.

Oh yeah -- BB&T connection in your PM box.
    Last edited by Entrenador; 09-15-2010 at 12:17 AM.

ballbuster

Does this work for you?

Yeah, I've been up to Redwood a couple times, but I couldn't really get into it. I tried look up the Beers, Bikes and Tacos group, but the search couldn't find it for some reason, do you have a direct link?

Frankly, I enjoy riding by myself most of the time... but I'm always up for a group ride just to meet some new people every now and then.
    *edit* (Oh, maybe that wasn't supposed to be public!)

Maybe I'll see you out there. I'm the unskilled fatass on the blue Singular Swift 29er singlespeed with H-bars, and with a bigass grin on his face. Sometimes, I'm out there with Entranador, Biker Scout Sparky, or JRM.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Nice vid Splat. I finally updated my ancient helmet cam setup to a ContourHD and am stoked on making some new vids as well.

I took my GF and her 8 yr old son to China Camp last Sunday for their first ever single track day and my first time out as well. We had a great time.

Looking forward to discovering the extra fun side sometime.....

commie
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbloat
    spectacular implosion
    I guess I struck a nerve.

All because you were blaming your equipment.

Wow.

ballbuster

Anybody else...

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik
    I guess I struck a nerve.

All because you were blaming your equipment.

Wow.
    ... really think I was blaming the equipment? ... or is it just Pete?

Wow... you're kinda psycho. Get help... srsly.

Splat... sorry to stink up your thread.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-15-2010 at 04:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador
    Dig the video. Quite honestly most of the videos that get posted up here are terrible. I'm by no means saying it's an easy thing to make. Video footage of people riding cross country trails are rarely interesting, and the images fall flat. Combine that with the common adolescent testosterock "metal" (think Limp Biskit) that they often weave in, and it just comes out really kind of pathetic.

Yours by contrast, is the funnest non-pro ride video I've seen on here in a long time. The angles are interesting (it's fun seeing the brake fingers twitching for example) and the music fits (not trying to convince us that you're getting ready for an MMA cage match). Worth watching again (will do so now) and definitely makes me want to get up really early and head down N. San Pedro.
    Thanks! I'm totally with you on the bad rock/metal/punk soundtracks. And frankly, even watching cross country racing up close and live is pretty boring. I wanted to get across the 'fun' part of my riding. I figured if it could hold my wife's interest for three minutes, then it was good enough (she said the 'cliffs' look terrifying... but then again, she doesn't like my driving either).

I picked a track that often gets wedged into my head while riding, I think partially because of the nonsensical lyrics and of course for the catchy melody. It's just the kind of loop that can keep me company (or drive me nuts) on the longest climbs.

I'm gonna have to play around with some other mounts and angles. I'm primary a still image guy, but it's been fun to muck around with moving pictures since the technology is getting so good and cheap these days.

-dave

Caca pasa
    Love the view when you can see your fork working. Awesome!

How wide are your bars, tho- 14"???
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    How wide are your bars, tho- 14"???
    err... lessee... 22" at the outside of the curve, just about 18" at the grips. Yeah, they're old school Scott AT2-LF bars that I picked up (uninstalled, NOS) on eBay back when I built up this frame in '05. They're my third set and probably the last I'll ever find. I figure when I find the stress cracks at the stem (and I KNOW they'll appear at some point), I'll try out one of them newfangled wide bars.

Gotta say, the H bars certainly look intriguing. I've got an On-One Mary bar on my SS Bontrager, which I love. Since taking biking back up, I haven't taken it out on the trails yet, but I'm feeling like my fitness is just about getting to the level where I'm ready to try it out.

-dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Love Dr. Dog!! *thumbsup.

mtbr member

Maybe I'll see you out there. I'm the unskilled fatass on the blue Singular Swift 29er singlespeed with H-bars, and with a bigass grin on his face. Sometimes, I'm out there with Entranador, Biker Scout Sparky, or JRM.

That should be easy enough to spot. And now y'all know what you'll see me on, an orange Salsa Ala Carte. Wave me down and say hi if you see me.

mtbr member
    Nice video and as others have said, nice music choice. I've always been amazed by how few mountain bike videos have music I like. While most snowboarding videos and at least half of skateboarding videos I see, I tend to like the music. Maybe it has something to do with most snowboarding and skateboarding videos I see are done professionally? While most mountain biking videos i see are made by amateurs.

Also, nice to see a trail I'm familiar with. Good job.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice video and good music choice. Makes me want to go for a ride. If only I weren't stuck here at work ....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeU
    Nice video and good music choice. Makes me want to go for a ride. If only I weren't stuck here at work ....
    x2 that. Well done!

Casey

PIMPBOT,
    I'm in Alameda, let me know when you can ride.

ballbuster

Sure

Quote Originally Posted by casey2020
    PIMPBOT,
    I'm in Alameda, let me know when you can ride.
    And check out the Beers Bikes and Tacos group on Google.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    FWIW it's China Camp and riding SS that claimed my finger a couple years back..sweet vid! Chris King Hubs??

O/T..True or not?

sputnik
    banned

I ever tell you you're cool also? I hope I am half the father you've had to be and I can be able to deal with the stuff you and a couple others here do if anything falls into my lap. Great reply!

Pete have a nice time out, find another forum..it's gotten old. Your game sucks.

Fine, I don't have skills or fitness. Happy? I still have fun and I don't give a crap. I don't ride my bike to prove anything to anybody but myself. Heck, I even race occasionally... in Sport class (recently renamed, I know) and I usually come in the bottom third. My 'unit' is plenty big without having to whip it out and show everybody, thankyouverymuch. I'm nursing injuries, have two small kids, one with cancer, and a full time job, loads of projects around the house, and trying to make ends meet....so you'll forgive me if all I can manage to squeeze in is a 2-3 hour half day ride once every other week. I make the most of my meditation time on the bike.

Uncle

OT -- good riding today

And check out the Beers Bikes and Tacos group on Google.
    Was just starting to enjoy your rig when you took it back That's what I get for bringing a knife to a gun fight and trying to trade up. Long live China Camp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    FWIW it's China Camp and riding SS that claimed my finger a couple years back..sweet vid! Chris King Hubs?? .
    Yowch! And I thought that China Camp was relatively tame. Of course, I augered in pretty good at Tamarancho last wednesday on a not-so-scary section... I'm still nursing a sore elbow, shoulder, and skinned knees. Hopefully I'll feel well enough to get back on the bike later today or tomorrow.

And yep, Chris King hubs. Easily spotted by that loud buzz!

-dave

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Yowch! And I thought that China Camp was relatively tame. Of course, I augered in pretty good at Tamarancho last wednesday on a not-so-scary section... I'm still nursing a sore elbow, shoulder, and skinned knees. Hopefully I'll feel well enough to get back on the bike later today or tomorrow.

And yep, Chris King hubs. Easily spotted by that loud buzz!

-dave
    I know that section and how you really can float it and keep them buzzing along.
    Finger's healed, just bigger knuckle now. I seem to always have something odd happen there..one year a vagrant kept trying to chase us down for waking him up as we sped along and he was sleeping in the bushes. 3 of us with our Kings buzzing, he freaked out and came out swatting himself while we all stopped figured it out, and kept laughing loudly.

Members who have read this thread: 0