Damn dog on Star Hill Rd - Skeggs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2000

Upset Damn dog on Star Hill Rd - Skeggs

Anyone else have any run-ins with a big, brown dog on Star Hill Road? I just came the closest I have ever been, to being bitten by a dog, yesterday.

About 2/3's of the way up Star Hill going towards Skyline, I spot a big brown dog up ahead on the right and he starts to come towards me. I'm about 20 yards ahead of Photo-John and Beav on this slight uphill section. I stay calm until he starts barking and snarling and getting closer. He gets even closer as I try to calmly pass, but then he begins nipping at my left leg. Not sure what to do at first (pedal fast to get by, give him a kick, etc...) my left foot is already unclipped and I lift it up, towards my handlebar in an effort to keep it as far away from him as possible. He gets close enough to my ankle, that I can feel his dog slobber on me. He doesn't bite me, but it couldn't have been much closer.

Eventually, the owner whistles him back, and mutters a "sorry" to Photo-John as they pass him (the owner is now standing near his truck in his driveway).

Francis just told me that this is the same big, brown older looking dog that nipped Kyezle a few weeks ago, and actually tore his sock and broke the skin.

Just wanted to post this here to alert other riders who may ride this route and also to ask if there is something that can be done about this dog?

Can I file a report with like, the SPCA or something? Especially since he seems to be a serial offender?

I'm a dog lover at heart, and I realize that the dog is just doing what come naturally to him (protecting his territory), but I think the owners should be more responsible. Star Hill is a public road, and a common area for cyclists.

Any suggestions?

-g

(I remember a good suggestion posted on RoadBikeReview about spraying dogs with your water bottle to keep them away, but I don't have a water bottle on my small Heckler. (wont' fit))

mtbr member

sounds familiar...

Marvin and I got chased by a brown dog on Star Hill about 2 years back....Marvin got bit on his calf..........did not break the skin though....good thing I'm faster than him!!

His wife called the SPCA....I don't know what happened after that
    :p

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow -- I ride on Star Hill all the time and have never seen this foul canine -- I'll be on the lookout. Back in Kentucky and North Carolina we used to carry squirt guns with ammonia in them, and I've been chased by 3-legged dobermans, multiple rottweilers and a variety of vicious mutts. The best thing to do to avoid contact is pedal way fast, and then make them turn by actually riding into and across their projected vector -- dogs hate to turn on pavement, bikes do it much better.

mtbr member
    you can report it to the police. i don't think the SPCA would do much unless it was abuse of the animal. If the animal was a danger to people, then they would probably report it to the police or tell you to do so. Reporting it isn't the nicest thing to do, but if the dog is chasing you and other people down, then something needs to be done. it's one thing for a dog to bark at you or to nip you while you're playing with it, but quite another for an unknown dog to chase after you hoping to take out a chunk. i think it's important to report it so there are records, and forces the owner to address the problem. otherwise they get off with a sorry. and if something more serious were to happen, or it happens a number of times, the owner can't make excuses.

ballbuster

Totally rat him out

It seems that the owner has to know the dog is a problem, yet refuses to leash or muzzle him. Ratting his a$$ out will send a clear message that he better take it seriously before the dog seriously injures a child or kills another dog. That dog should be on a leash or behind a fence.

As far as amonia goes, use a bit of lemon juice in a water bottle and aim for the eyes instead. You don't wanna seriously injure the dog.

Medium?

Kyezle was bit

over a year ago, AFAIR. Get a little pepper spray bottle next time, and take the offensive.

J_B

Mar 2004
    Contact animal control. They can and should document the incident.

mtbr member

No Kidding

Don't call the cops!......to busy eating doughnuts!!

:p

J_B

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Don't call the cops!......to busy eating doughnuts!!

You know it Big B!