Cyclist missing in Nisene- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cyclist missing in Nisene

There's a massive search going on...That's all I've heard.

Anyone have any more info?
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by rideslikeagirl
    There's a massive search going on...That's all I've heard.

Anyone have any more info?
    I caught that on Channel 2 news this morning, but I can't find any information online. All they said is that the biker was experienced.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Mountain Biker Found Safe In Santa Cruz

POSTED: 6:41 am PDT May 8, 2006
    UPDATED: 7:48 am PDT May 8, 2006
    Email This Story | Print This Story
    SANTA CRUZ COUNTY -- NBC11 News has learned a mountain biker reported missing Sunday has been found safe. The man spent the night in Nisene Marks State Park near Aptos.

The man went for a ride in the park around 11:00 a.m. Sunday and never returned home.

His wife reported him missing late Sunday night and a search began around 10 p.m.

Sheriff's deputies found the man's car about five miles east of Santa Cruz.
    Click here to find out more!

More than two dozen rescuers spent the entire night searching for the man. Additional crews were set to arrive around 10 a.m. to expand the search, but that has since been called off.

Nisene Marks has 30 miles worth of trails. Some of the trails are fairly rugged.

NBC11 will update this story once we know what happened to cause the biker to not return from his Sunday ride in the park.

enter and win

that's good.

...I was just about to check my freezer...

mtbr member
    Awesome - thanks!

"NBC11 will update this story once we know what happened to cause the biker to not return from his Sunday ride in the park." (they said he was married right??)
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbecky
    ...I was just about to check my freezer...
    If you find your lights in your freezer, will you come ride with us Wednesday night?

Jan 2004

OK........the guy is found safe and sound......thirsty

Quote Originally Posted by rideslikeagirl
    Awesome - thanks!

"NBC11 will update this story once we know what happened to cause the biker to not return from his Sunday ride in the park." (they said he was married right??)

OK, report is in. The guy was found safe and sound.....with just a tiny bit of dehydration.

His father-in-law said its about time for him to grow up and remember he has children...
    His age......35. I agree, anyone riding a bike past the age of 35 is just being plain irresponsible and childish.
    Last edited by Chester; 05-08-2006 at 12:42 PM.

fc
    Missing Mountain Biker Found Safe

Soquel Man Was Riding Alone When He Got Lost

POSTED: 10:08 am PDT May 8, 2006
    UPDATED: 11:51 am PDT May 8, 2006
    APTOS, Calif. -- A mountain biker missing since last night in a rugged area of the Santa Cruz Mountains has been found uninjured in The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park.Soquel resident Robert Welsh, 35, was riding alone late Sunday in the park when he became disoriented and could not find his way back to where he parked his Toyota Tundra.His wife became concerned when she didn't hear from him and called police just after 10 p.m. Sunday.The Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department requested mutual aid and had about 25 searchers out by midnight. Surrounding counties also provided search dogs and motorcycle officers to assist in the search.At about 8 a.m. Monday, one of the search teams located Welsh, who was riding his bike around a landslide area. He was uninjured, but cold, tired, thirsty and hungry.He told authorities he went riding off the trail and then couldn't figure out where he was after dark. He decided to stay put until dawn.

-----------------

Anybody know him... Robert Welsh?

Btw, his father-in-law is an a-hole!

smw
    pedal pusher
    Btw, his father-in-law is an a-hole![/QUOTE]

Yep, maybe he should grow up.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Groveland Trail Heads

I don't get it....

Quote Originally Posted by smw

Yep, maybe he should grow up.

Sean
    is this an inside joke?
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    is this an inside joke?

Read the article above, and pay attention to his statement.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

I am lost, I'm no guide

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Missing Mountain Biker Found Safe

Soquel Man Was Riding Alone When He Got Lost

POSTED: 10:08 am PDT May 8, 2006
    UPDATED: 11:51 am PDT May 8, 2006
    APTOS, Calif. -- A mountain biker missing since last night in a rugged area of the Santa Cruz Mountains has been found uninjured in The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park.Soquel resident Robert Welsh, 35, was riding alone late Sunday in the park when he became disoriented and could not find his way back to where he parked his Toyota Tundra.His wife became concerned when she didn't hear from him and called police just after 10 p.m. Sunday.The Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department requested mutual aid and had about 25 searchers out by midnight. Surrounding counties also provided search dogs and motorcycle officers to assist in the search.At about 8 a.m. Monday, one of the search teams located Welsh, who was riding his bike around a landslide area. He was uninjured, but cold, tired, thirsty and hungry.He told authorities he went riding off the trail and then couldn't figure out where he was after dark. He decided to stay put until dawn.

-----------------

Anybody know him... Robert Welsh?

I'm not a betting man, but sounds like there may have been some poaching going on if he was in Nisene, and was in a "rugged area of the Santa Cruz Mountains,"

Maybe he was in SDF? But as far as I can tell, once you pass the bridge, there's one fireroad up, and one of two fireroads down. Anything else,
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Totally, and to the max.
    Out all night, cold, tired, hungry and thirsty...Sounds like he was just training for the 24 hr. race next weekend.

Seriously, glad he's okay. I'm sure he'll take a few more precautions from now on.

Jan 2004

Hmmm, do you think we should all carry lighters?

From ABC7 report.....
    more from the father in law...

John Maloney, missing biker's father-in-law: "We all know Rob is kind of a daredevil kind of guy. Off edge of a cliff, broken leg, who knows what else?"

By midnight and through the early morning hours, a team of 25 search and rescuers started scouring the trails for the missing mountain biker. Using topographical maps, they spread out on foot, some using scent dogs. Others rode on horses and dirt bikes. Rangers passed out flyers to park visitors and joggers.

Then came the moment all were hoping for: Kathy Sterbank and Mojo the scent dog found Welsh on the Mill Site Trail, miles into the park.

Kathy Sterbank, OES: "I was actually getting her ready to check another trail that we had, that she had shown interest in earlier, and he& I just turned around and he was riding down the trail."

Rescuers say Welsh was cold and tired, but in good medical condition. It turns out he had ridden off trail and become lost. Then as it got late, he started a fire to stay warm and get through the night.

Welsh was anxious to get home and rest.

ABC7 spoke with Robert Welsh on the phone. He says he'll still go on rides alone, but even as an experienced rider he learned some things he wanted to share. He says to ride prepared, with a lot of water, a jacket, some food, and definitely a lighter. He happened to have one on him, and that's what he used to light a fire Sunday night.

And perhaps a compass so you don't get lost in the first place might be useful
    Ah, very easy to second-guess when not in the woods and cold, thinking to yourself "it could never happen to me"

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    From ABC7 report.....
    more from the father in law...

John Maloney, missing biker's father-in-law: "We all know Rob is kind of a daredevil kind of guy. Off edge of a cliff, broken leg, who knows what else?"

Gotta love the father-in-law... prejudiced hick that he is. Way to look out for you family, moron!

I'm going to call my in-laws tonight and thank them. Thank them for not being this guy!

fc

Groveland Trail Heads

I did not see

Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Read the article above, and pay attention to his statement.

Sean
    that when I wrote what I wrote. The last post was from Francois... there was no post from Chester.... hmmmm. Glitches in the system

mtbr member
    Daddy-o needs a bike.
    - slocaus

fc
    My google searches are turning out some interesting results.

Matthew Chew endos and gets disoriented and gets lost. (Monrovia)
    http://www.nbc4.tv/news/8794827/detail.html
    Check out the video

Also Glen Fritzler falls off a cliff an is rescued with Night Vision (Ventura County)
    http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs...624073,00.html

Both are in their forties, riding alone. Both happened in the last few weeks.

I think it's a reminder for us to be careful out there and have a back-up plan. Also make sure folks know where to look for you if you don't return on time.

francois

Nov 2004
    I liked this statement from his wife...

"He actually had to ditch his bike up there," said wife Candace Chew. "I'm kind of glad about that. We won't be going back to get it."

That's a bitter pill to swallow.

UB.

Totally, and to the max.
    I know! I read the same thing, thinking geeeez. Glad my wife rides.

I could see the rest of the thought.

"...We won't be going back to get it. Because he won't be riding with those crazies anymore. He's going to join my Pilates class. Now we'll have time to go shopping at Ikea and Pier One."

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max

"...We won't be going back to get it. Because he won't be riding with those crazies anymore. He's going to join my Pilates class. Now we'll have time to go shopping at Ikea and Pier One."
    Let's see how long that marriage will last now that he can't go out riding.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Just thank God

My google searches are turning out some interesting results.

Matthew Chew endos and gets disoriented and gets lost. (Monrovia)
    http://www.nbc4.tv/news/8794827/detail.html
    Check out the video

Also Glen Fritzler falls off a cliff an is rescued with Night Vision (Ventura County)
    Just Thank God they all made it home.

mtbr member
    This is going to sound really insensitive, BUT if you get lost at Nisene Marks you A)were clearly "riding off the trail' ie. riding where you should not have been, B) have zero sense of direction and C) therefore deserve to lose your bike. There is a giant fireroad that dissects the length of the park. How can you get lost there? This is not an anti-poaching rant. Some of you have ridden that park for years longer than me, I'll let you chime in. But if you're gonna poach, please don't have the friggin search and rescue team out looking for your dumb a$$. Is this not just more ammuntion for the people who want to shut down access for bikes? By the way, where did he say he left his bike?

smw
    pedal pusher

Another reason to ride with a group.

Sean

smw
    pedal pusher

gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

I like this part in the report the best:

"Fritzler had crawled about 20 feet uphill from his bike when rescue crews using night-vision optics and a large spotlight were able to pinpoint him about midnight. His bike was recovered. "

Thats what I would be concerned with.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Feeling a little taller
    OK, report is in. The guy was found safe and sound.....with just a tiny bit of dehydration.

His father-in-law said its about time for him to grow up and remember he has children...
    His age......35. I agree, anyone riding a bike past the age of 35 is just being plain irresponsible and childish.
    Heyyyy...I resemble that remark.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Old man on a bike
    Carl, you're getting the stories mixed up. In the main story it's too bad father in law doesn't seem to approve of our sport, oh well. As for the guy who had to abandon his bike for a life of more supervision, decision making, shopping and Pilates with and from his wife...maybe marriage ain't in his future...if he can retain his sanity.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    This is going to sound really insensitive, BUT if you get lost at Nisene Marks you A)were clearly "riding off the trail' ie. riding where you should not have been, B) have zero sense of direction and C) therefore deserve to lose your bike. There is a giant fireroad that dissects the length of the park. How can you get lost there? This is not an anti-poaching rant. Some of you have ridden that park for years longer than me, I'll let you chime in. But if you're gonna poach, please don't have the friggin search and rescue team out looking for your dumb a$$. Is this not just more ammuntion for the people who want to shut down access for bikes? By the way, where did he say he left his bike?
    If it gets dark and you are off the trail, and not sure which way is toward the trail, the best thing is to stay put and look for the trail in the morning. The story was that he was spotted on the trail, so I doubt he was still lost when they found him, just hurtin'. It did get pretty cold last night, I am sure he regretted not bring more clothes, and water....

mtbr member

What I like....

..is that it was 10PM before the loving wife called the cops!!! Yeah sure, ol' father in law is a real pR!Ck, but what about the dudes old lady! Does this guy frequently go for 9 hour mtn bike rides after dark? If so, he rules. I know if I don't get back within 1 hour of my expected time my cell phone is ringing. OK, i am p-whipped, but at least she calls!
    "Sometimes it's fun to make a bad decision."
    -Jerzy (my son, at 6 years old)

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by F.P.
    ..is that it was 10PM before the loving wife called the cops!!! Yeah sure, ol' father in law is a real pR!Ck, but what about the dudes old lady! Does this guy frequently go for 9 hour mtn bike rides after dark? If so, he rules. I know if I don't get back within 1 hour of my expected time my cell phone is ringing. OK, i am p-whipped, but at least she calls!
    She done good. I wouldn't get on her case. I'm sure she was pissed in the afternoon and got worried in late afternoon and started calling friends and family but gave him until dark before calling in the cavalry.

At 10pm she got the police and got the 'massive search' going.

fc

mtbr member

Done good?

I disagree. Your best buddy goes for a solo ride and isn't heard from for 9 hours. Common sense tells me that something has probably gone very wrong and I am on the hunt at sunset at the VERY LATEST. Props to the police for getting the search going and finding the guy. I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that he was "just getting some me time in the woods"....And he probably is in need of some more real soon after that stunt...Thank the universe for bikes.
    "Sometimes it's fun to make a bad decision."
    -Jerzy (my son, at 6 years old)

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bri

"He actually had to ditch his bike up there," said wife Candace Chew. "I'm kind of glad about that. We won't be going back to get it."

Does that mean finders keepers?

I don't know about you guys....but I do actually get some cell phone reception up there...riding alone, I always have my phone.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

If I go out on a solo ride and am not heard from by 10pm
    First call Kitty's, then Lane Splitters, then Zeitgeist, hell call every beer joint in the bay area... then call in the Mounties.

Lost in Tahoe over night would be one thing, but Nisene Marks??? Like Kyle said... training for 24HOA.

Slowest Rider

My take

OK, like everyone else, I'm glad Rob Welsh got back safe. I also understand wanting to just go out and ride and have fun.

But I also think the guy made some big blunders and needlessly cost a lot of people time and effort in the search, and the outcome could have been worse for him or his family. (See Irresponsible) In this talk with reporters (see here) "he learned some things he wanted to share....ride prepared, with a lot of water, a jacket, some food, and definitely a lighter". As far as I'm concerned, Rob still seems to lacking some common sense.

This guy (and the other riders that Francois linked) didn't follow some important simple precautions that I've learned to take in my 20 years of mostly solo riding.

If you're riding solo:
    * #1 MOST IMPORTANT!! Tell someone, like your wife, precisely the trails you're taking with time estimate when you'll be back. As needed, leave a map of your route and don't deviate. It's the simple price of riding solo.
    * Take a cell phone if you're in an area with reception, even if it's turned off in the pack.
    * Take a good map and compass, and even better a GPS (if you're a geek like me) when you're going on a long deep ride solo, even in a familiar park
    * A few waterproof matches in your first aid kit (have one?) are less room than a lighter.
    * Yea, have extra water, food, jacket, etc... and other tools and supplies as appropriate to the ride. I go light with a simple water bottle and cell phone on rides in Santa Teresa or up Kennedy. But I take a lot more gear for long deep solo rides in places like Henry Coe - enough to survive a couple days, with extras like a small flashlight and a GMRS radio.

I try to take these simple precautions as a father of 3 myself, and also simple respect for others who have to bail me out. Step #1 is so very simple, yet would have greatly helped every one of these guys lost or hurt and saved time for rescuers. The remaining steps would surely have helped too.

Oh, and my wife has never asked me to grow up, even though I'm now 50. But she does say I act like a 16-year-old.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Let's ride
    This one's for you K-Max, just in case you get lost poaching and your wife changes her mind about mtbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am lost, I'm no guide

Massive Search To Be Conducted At Nm

FOR A MISSING SANTA CRUZ FULL SUSPENSION:

ON another note, I would have won my bet. The bobo was poaching. Somehow, I imagine this article will come back to bite us in the rear someday... Maybe we can use this in the future. When dusk is approaching, and you don't have any survivival gear, and you spot a new sweet piece of singletrack, do you ride it? Nahh, Don't pull a Welsh, ride it next time...

APTOS — A Soquel mountain biker reported missing in the Forest of Nisene Marks State Park late Sunday night rode out on his own Monday morning, the county Sheriff's Office reported.
    Robert Welsh, 35, left around 11 a.m. Sunday to ride his "relatively new" Santa Cruz full-supension bike on the Nisene Marks trails,cording to Sgt. Fred Plageman.
    "He got disoriented and had to spend the night out in the woods after it got dark," deputy Jerry Ueblocker of the county Search and Rescue team said.
    Rescuers began searching about midnight after Welsh's wife reported him missing. Teams searched on foot, with dogs and on motorcycles.
    They found Welsh about 7 a.m., healthy and "happy to be found," the deputy said.
    Welsh met searchers on Mill Trail near the south end of a landslide that blocks the park's main road, Plageman said. Deputies gave him a ride about two miles from George's Picnic Area to the park entrance, where he left immediately without talking to waiting reporters.

"He was cold, wet, tired, hungry, thirsty, embarrassed," Plageman said.

Welsh had left his cell phone in his truck, but had carried a Camelbak Hydration System with him when he went riding on a single-track trail on the Buzzard's Lagoon side of the park Sunday, according to deputies. Bike riders are not allowed on the trail, Plageman said.

After he became lost, he got soaked and cold trying to follow Aptos Creek in a narrow, steep ravine. At dusk, he stopped and started a fire with a lighter he carried. At daylight, he started moving again.
    "Eventually, he got orientated and was able to make his way out," Plageman said.
    Ueblocker said it's not unusual for bikers and hikers to get lost in local parks. Three weeks ago, a group of hikers had to spend a night in the woods in Felton.
    "It happens off and on," he said.
    Plageman added that the trail Welsh was on would not have been searched at night because it had been damaged by landslides and the 1989 earthquake, and it is not authorized for mountain biking. Plageman said it's unlikely Welsh will be cited.
    Last edited by gobike; 05-09-2006 at 06:36 AM.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Let's ride
    Hmmm, it takes a large number of people to find him through hours of searching and he exposes a off limits mtb trail to the authorities? What a day the guy had.
    Hopefully this doesn't cause some questions and or an outrage by non mtb'ers about the trail and the 'unlikely to be cited' aspect of the printed story.

Nov 2004
    Me too, I actually think that the cell reception is too good. No place to hide...

Brian

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    ...was riding alone late Sunday in the park when he became disoriented...
    Maybe around 4:20
    "I read a Russian novel once," Anderson cut in bleakly. "People with unpronounceable names did nothing for seven hundred and eighty-three pages, after which somebody's aunt died."

Let's ride
    There is just something strange about this story. I was thinking about this on the way in to work.

You, a mtb'er, start your ride in Nisene/Demo, alone. It's 11am, it gets dark at 8pm, you're alone. You ride, don't get hurt, brought some food, brought a lighter for some reason, you maybe get lost, you didn't get hurt, it is getting late, you know that because the sun/light/a long freakin time has past...
    How does one get lost riding a bike for so freakin long without getting hurt? The bike essentially needs a trail. Usually when you go off trail, you know it. If you do that, don't you typically have a goal in mind, as to where you are going? 'I know if a short cut to get to this other trail'. After many minutes of being lost, again, off trail, wouldn't you back track and get the heck back to where you went off trail? Because if you were on trail, how do you get lost for so long? We're not talking Coe here...
    Please don't read this as me badgering the guy, actually, take him out of this context. I'm more trying to understand people in general.
    BTW, i'm stuck on the lighter. If i'm starting aroung 11am in the summer, i ain't carrying no lighter to start a fire in case i get lost and need heat. A night ride, or even a late afternoon ride maybe.

Groveland Trail Heads

I hear you, rensho

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    There is just something strange about this story. I was thinking about this on the way in to work.

You, a mtb'er, start your ride in Nisene/Demo, alone. It's 11am, it gets dark at 8pm, you're alone. You ride, don't get hurt, brought some food, brought a lighter for some reason, you maybe get lost, you didn't get hurt, it is getting late, you know that because the sun/light/a long freakin time has past...
    How does one get lost riding a bike for so freakin long without getting hurt? The bike essentially needs a trail. Usually when you go off trail, you know it. If you do that, don't you typically have a goal in mind, as to where you are going? 'I know if a short cut to get to this other trail'. After many minutes of being lost, again, off trail, wouldn't you back track and get the heck back to where you went off trail? Because if you were on trail, how do you get lost for so long? We're not talking Coe here...
    Please don't read this as me badgering the guy, actually, take him out of this context. I'm more trying to understand people in general.
    BTW, i'm stuck on the lighter. If i'm starting aroung 11am in the summer, i ain't carrying no lighter to start a fire in case i get lost and need heat. A night ride, or even a late afternoon ride maybe.
    Though I bring a lighter on all of my rides but it is not for starting a fire to keep warm

Nov 2004
    You bring it because you're a gentleman and you never know when you'll see a lady who needs a light?

And they say chivalry is dead.

Jan 2004

Getting lost is half the fun in life

Quote Originally Posted by rensho

How does one get lost riding a bike for so freakin long without getting hurt? The bike essentially needs a trail.
    Hmmm.......well you know, up in those mountains sometimes you may come across a patch of unusual plant life. As an avid botanist, I like to examine every new species, so I carry a small magnifying glass and a lighter. First I look closely at the plant structure and then I light it on fire to see how it transmogrifies to a gaseous state during rapid oxidation.
    Depending on the plants in question, sometimes the oxidative outgassing will leave me mystified for hours on end. Time flys during my examination and sometimes I lose track of time and direction. More than once, I been caught by old man Sol dipping below the horizon as I gaze mystically into the setting orb.

As such, its not uncommon to find myself stumbling in the darkness trying to retrace my path back to the car..... Thus is the life and adventure for those of us for whom setting out on a ride is always the adventure of a lifetime unfolding....
    Hmm.....now where did I put that bag of plantlife I found on my last ride......Time for some oxidative investigation.

Groveland Trail Heads

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bri
    You bring it because you're a gentleman and you never know when you'll see a lady who needs a light?

And they say chivalry is dead.
    And I still open doors for the ladies

fc
    First I look closely at the plant structure and then I light it on fire to see how it transmogrifies to a gaseous state during rapid oxidation.
    That explains the lighter. Now I want to know what trail he was on. They said he crossed a river and got wet.

I think if you go down Saw Pit and turn left on Hihn's Mill road, you have to cross a river to get out. That's way out in Demo though.

How you get lost is if you're explorin... Then you you go on the wrong direction without realizing it for an hour or so. Then you start getting screwed.

Hey, I watch "I shouldn't be alive" on Discovery Channel.

francois

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    Though I bring a lighter on all of my rides but it is not for starting a fire to keep warm
    Let me guess. You carry the lighter just in case you come across a rock concert and you want the group to do an encore

Totally, and to the max.

Now that's funny...

Thanks, Tom. If that ever happens, I'll need that coupon to buy some balls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Totally, and to the max.
    There definitely is something SKUNKY about the story, isn't there? Maybe this is nature's way to WEED out the weak. He could just be a DOPE. But getting lost is always a DRAG. We should be KIND. At least he wasn't riding a Schwinn HOMEGROWN.

mtbr member
    Hmmm.......well you know, up in those mountains sometimes you may come across a patch of unusual plant life. As an avid botanist, I like to examine every ..........
    Hmm.....now where did I put that bag of plantlife I found on my last ride......Time for some oxidative investigation.
    Very good one ! CSI Santa Cruz.

Paper or plastic?
    There definitely is something SKUNKY about the story, isn't there? Maybe this is nature's way to WEED out the weak. He could just be a DOPE. But getting lost is always a DRAG. We should be KIND. At least he wasn't riding a Schwinn HOMEGROWN.
    Sounds like they found him pretty HIGH up in the park though.

Groveland Trail Heads

Lmao!!!

That's all I'm saying.....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I bet Francois is right -- went down Sawpit and hit the river.

Many years ago, I did the same thing, figuring "Hey, this is the river, and if I follow it, I'll be back in Nisene." Wrong! By the time I figured it out, and climbed back onto Highland, rode through Corralitos, and back into Aptos, I was so bonked, I was weeping. Luckily a good-natured dude gave me a ride back to Aptos Village.

My guess is the guy is too embarrassed to fess up that he actually went into Demo

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! I have an observation..

..to chime in with.

"If a man's lost in the woods, alone, and decides to actually ask for directions, does anyone hear him?"-Mrs.Obi.One

OK, gotta give her props for that one, it is actually realistic enough to be funny!

Obi..

Ready to roll!
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    When dusk is approaching, ...
    ... don't go a poaching!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gakster
    Very good one ! CSI Santa Cruz.

Dude, if they ever made that into a TV series, they would have some funky episodes! Who knows what kinda crazy stuff they could come up with
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member

LMfreakin'AO

Hmmm.......well you know, up in those mountains sometimes you may come across a patch of unusual plant life. As an avid botanist, I like to examine every new species, so I carry a small magnifying glass and a lighter. First I look closely at the plant structure and then I light it on fire to see how it transmogrifies to a gaseous state during rapid oxidation.
    Depending on the plants in question, sometimes the oxidative outgassing will leave me mystified for hours on end. Time flys during my examination and sometimes I lose track of time and direction. More than once, I been caught by old man Sol dipping below the horizon as I gaze mystically into the setting orb.

As such, its not uncommon to find myself stumbling in the darkness trying to retrace my path back to the car..... Thus is the life and adventure for those of us for whom setting out on a ride is always the adventure of a lifetime unfolding....
    I think I love you.
    - slocaus

mtbr dismember

Can I tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    If you're riding solo: #1 MOST IMPORTANT!! Tell someone, like your wife, precisely the trails you're taking with time estimate when you'll be back.
    I have nobody to tell when I ride solo, even on night rides. So can I tell you? I suspect if I didn't show up for several days my students probably would not say anything since they'd rather not have class.

Slowest Rider

Of Course - PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I have nobody to tell when I ride solo, even on night rides. So can I tell you? I suspect if I didn't show up for several days my students probably would not say anything since they'd rather not have class.
    You've said on occasions that you've got "no loved ones" that worry about you. Now you're saying even your student's don't love you. Well, don't despair Steve, you've got us!

You have my email address. Please send me a note before a solo ride with your route and time. If I don't get another email back in reasonable time after the ride I'll call authorities, after trying to find you on your mobile number. (I usually write the proper authority number on the route maps I leave with my wife. She might call the insurance instead. )

Lots of things can go wrong - not just getting lost. (Bike break, health issue, bad accident hurting you or bike, animal encounter, ...) This simple precaution helps greatly with most all problems for solo riders.

There's a few other single guys I've encouraged to send me their route when riding solo, but they don't.

My offer goes for others too, even those who don't want their wife or S.O. to know JUST where they're going. Just PM me for my email address.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 05-11-2006 at 07:17 AM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Apr 2006
    I read this whole post and can't believe more people didn't say anything about him ditching his bike... Even if it was a $200 bike there is no way I'd be leaving it unless it was broken to the point I couldn't even use it to coast down hills. I'm sorry but the bike would be the last damn thing I would get rid of if I was lost. Besides I had to give up my right nut to purchase the bike I have, so if I ditched it, well you get the idea. I'd have my bike on my shoulder or my wife would be making the comment, "He had to ditch his bike up there, and if he doesn't get it back I'm gonna divorce his ass and the bike won't be the only thing he's missing!"

Also as far as the lighter goes, I carry one all the time too. I don't understand why some people are saying they would only carry one on specific rides. Come on the thing wieghs a couple of ounces put it in your camelback and forget about it. I don't know about you but I remember how long it took Tom Hanks to make fire in Castaway and I'm not planning on rubbin sticks together.

Members who have read this thread: 0