Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing! - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!

Rode it today and had a great ride. The weeds are waste high in places. Watch out for snakes on the trails. Poison oak is starting to encroach on the trail. There is one tree across lower section of tree frog. Ran across one large cow.
    Trails are in good shape. Also they are adding concrete pavers and gravel to bottom of tree frog which will make it much more rideable during the rainy season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skiclimbride; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Rode today---agree with above-----Soaring eagle a bit over grown but no bigge---Sugar city is OK but the weeds were waist high in places------tree frog was terrific--probably as good as it gets this year as it will get dry quick with the hot days.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Thank you for updates! Such a crapshoot to drive out there if not local, sounds good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I think they started mowing Sugar City today. I diddnt actually ride down it since I took the fire road over to Tree Frog. At the top of Tree Frog I could see them across the way with weedwackers.

Trail Gnome
    Iíll be in Crockett tomorrow...debating about bringing my bike; itís kinda warm lately.

mtbr member
    Rode there today. A nice day overall. Sunny but not hot. Still some wildflowers around but the grass is starting to turn.

It looks like they mowed the left half of Sugar City (from a downhill rider's point of view). There's about a foot of clear space on that side of the line. Weeds are right up to the line on the right. If you ride in the center of the cleared space, you are a bit off the packed dirt. The weeds were not bad though. A lot of the trail has a coating of dead grass, which some folks here find amusing.

Tree frog was pretty good.

A bit of the top of Soaring Eagle was overgrown still too. Again, not really anything that would flay you as you rode through.

Only found one tick at the end of the ride. It was crawling around on one of my shoes like where is the blood in this thing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode my normal 15 mile 2200 feet of climbing loop Friday. Agree with the above assessment. Trails are bone dry, a bit bumpy from water and traffic but otherwise good. The problem is overgrowth. Really overgrown in spots of soaring eagle, sugar city, and a few spots on tree frog. No ticks which is more luck than anything else. Whoever whacked the one side of sugar city helped a bit, but there is still no way to avoid the weeds on that, or any other trail. I love those trails, wish the park was better maintained. Weed whacking is all that is needed for this to be in super shape again..but the park was working on the cows and fences with a helo when I was there.

mtbr member
    from the latest btceb newletter:

"
    Emergency access is the driver for the Sugar City regrading. The regrading will be a 48 inch wide cut. Go ahead, scream, take a deep breath, and remember that before you know it the vegetation will regrow and the tread will be narrow again
    "

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you saying they are going to widen the entire sugar city trail to 48 inches? I don't see that would be possible in some spots. Access should be via the fire road, or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    The original trail seemed to be that wide, or close enough to it that it didn't matter, didn't it?

I hope "regrade" doesn't mean flatten all the little water bar things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Regrade certainly implies moving soil.

mtbr member
    Lame.

Poison Oak rash showed up on my right knee yesterday morning. Must have been mixed in amongst the other weed crowding the trail. Dangit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Lame.

Poison Oak rash showed up on my right knee yesterday morning. Must have been mixed in amongst the other weed crowding the trail. Dangit.
    Same. I think the main offender at the moment is the bottom of Tree Frog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    The original trail seemed to be that wide, or close enough to it that it didn't matter, didn't it?

I hope "regrade" doesn't mean flatten all the little water bar things.
    RIP Crockett Hills

mtb'er
    Do none of you (since you obviously aren't "they") own a weed wacker???? /faceinpalm

mtbr member
    Apparently ticks can survive going through the washing machine. Eek. Getting ready for an afternoon ride, and just found one of the bastids from Crockett on the pile of clean jerseys. Only one way it could have gotten there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Glad I was able to ride sugar city this spring before ebrpd trashed it with a contractors dozer.Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_0192.jpg wish I took picks of the trail. Unfortunately many of the bumps and table tops got flattened. Lots of loose dirt and some large potholes. Worst damage is some of the banked turns got blown out. Curious how we go about repairing the damage. If anyone has trail building experience would like to meet with EBRPD and put together a plan that provides their 4í width while maintaining this great ride.
    Good news is tree frog was awesome, hope they donít touch it. Pulled one tick off me and scrubbed with Tec nu.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sigh--is sugar city basically not a trail of any sort now ? This is a nice place to go and never crowded ---be very sad if it goes--one of the few actual legal east bay decent single track areas

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiclimbride View Post
    Glad I was able to ride sugar city this spring before ebrpd trashed it with a contractors dozer.
    I do believe that contractor is the same one who built the trail in the first place. He knows how to build trails, but mini dozers don't work so good on banked turns.

Have you reached out to BTCEB or EBRPD to find out what the plans are? BTCEB has done many trail days there in the past year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I emailed btceb, Scott replied ďThe damage that was done was not their intent. We will be discussing ways to get the width they need for emergency access and to be able to mow weeds without damage to tread, berms, drains, and other features in the process. ď

Also volunteered to join the crocket hills trail crew.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Sigh--is sugar city basically not a trail of any sort now ? This is a nice place to go and never crowded ---be very sad if it goes--one of the few actual legal east bay decent single track areas
    It is still a trail that is rideable , just a new one that will take some work and time to get it back to the smooth flow trail it was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks---I may go thursday morning

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiclimbride View Post
    It is still a trail that is rideable , just a new one that will take some work and time to get it back to the smooth flow trail it was.

I rode there Monday afternoon.

Soaring Eagle is overgrown enough that you can't see the trail.

SC trail, where the grading is underway is totally ridable. It's different and definitely not flow status but challenging if you want to push the limits of traction at speed. The original line mostly exists but there are many loose spots. The grading is not deep

Tree Frog is riding well with some PO to watch out for.

Side note regarding the pic of the tractor in the post above: There's a new trail being cut at that location. Far from being ready to ride but encouraging to see more trail being cut in.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345