Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing! - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!

Rode it today and had a great ride. The weeds are waste high in places. Watch out for snakes on the trails. Poison oak is starting to encroach on the trail. There is one tree across lower section of tree frog. Ran across one large cow.
    Trails are in good shape. Also they are adding concrete pavers and gravel to bottom of tree frog which will make it much more rideable during the rainy season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skiclimbride; 04-20-2019 at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Rode today---agree with above-----Soaring eagle a bit over grown but no bigge---Sugar city is OK but the weeds were waist high in places------tree frog was terrific--probably as good as it gets this year as it will get dry quick with the hot days.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Thank you for updates! Such a crapshoot to drive out there if not local, sounds good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I think they started mowing Sugar City today. I diddnt actually ride down it since I took the fire road over to Tree Frog. At the top of Tree Frog I could see them across the way with weedwackers.

Trail Gnome
    Jan 2011
    I’ll be in Crockett tomorrow...debating about bringing my bike; it’s kinda warm lately.

mtbr member
    Rode there today. A nice day overall. Sunny but not hot. Still some wildflowers around but the grass is starting to turn.

It looks like they mowed the left half of Sugar City (from a downhill rider's point of view). There's about a foot of clear space on that side of the line. Weeds are right up to the line on the right. If you ride in the center of the cleared space, you are a bit off the packed dirt. The weeds were not bad though. A lot of the trail has a coating of dead grass, which some folks here find amusing.

Tree frog was pretty good.

A bit of the top of Soaring Eagle was overgrown still too. Again, not really anything that would flay you as you rode through.

Only found one tick at the end of the ride. It was crawling around on one of my shoes like where is the blood in this thing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode my normal 15 mile 2200 feet of climbing loop Friday. Agree with the above assessment. Trails are bone dry, a bit bumpy from water and traffic but otherwise good. The problem is overgrowth. Really overgrown in spots of soaring eagle, sugar city, and a few spots on tree frog. No ticks which is more luck than anything else. Whoever whacked the one side of sugar city helped a bit, but there is still no way to avoid the weeds on that, or any other trail. I love those trails, wish the park was better maintained. Weed whacking is all that is needed for this to be in super shape again..but the park was working on the cows and fences with a helo when I was there.

mtbr member
    from the latest btceb newletter:

"
    Emergency access is the driver for the Sugar City regrading. The regrading will be a 48 inch wide cut. Go ahead, scream, take a deep breath, and remember that before you know it the vegetation will regrow and the tread will be narrow again
    "

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you saying they are going to widen the entire sugar city trail to 48 inches? I don't see that would be possible in some spots. Access should be via the fire road, or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    The original trail seemed to be that wide, or close enough to it that it didn't matter, didn't it?

I hope "regrade" doesn't mean flatten all the little water bar things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Regrade certainly implies moving soil.

mtbr member
    Lame.

Poison Oak rash showed up on my right knee yesterday morning. Must have been mixed in amongst the other weed crowding the trail. Dangit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Lame.

Poison Oak rash showed up on my right knee yesterday morning. Must have been mixed in amongst the other weed crowding the trail. Dangit.
    Same. I think the main offender at the moment is the bottom of Tree Frog.

mtbr member
    The original trail seemed to be that wide, or close enough to it that it didn't matter, didn't it?

I hope "regrade" doesn't mean flatten all the little water bar things.
    RIP Crockett Hills

mtb'er
    Do none of you (since you obviously aren't "they") own a weed wacker???? /faceinpalm

mtbr member
    Apparently ticks can survive going through the washing machine. Eek. Getting ready for an afternoon ride, and just found one of the bastids from Crockett on the pile of clean jerseys. Only one way it could have gotten there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Glad I was able to ride sugar city this spring before ebrpd trashed it with a contractors dozer.Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_0192.jpg wish I took picks of the trail. Unfortunately many of the bumps and table tops got flattened. Lots of loose dirt and some large potholes. Worst damage is some of the banked turns got blown out. Curious how we go about repairing the damage. If anyone has trail building experience would like to meet with EBRPD and put together a plan that provides their 4’ width while maintaining this great ride.
    Good news is tree frog was awesome, hope they don’t touch it. Pulled one tick off me and scrubbed with Tec nu.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sigh--is sugar city basically not a trail of any sort now ? This is a nice place to go and never crowded ---be very sad if it goes--one of the few actual legal east bay decent single track areas

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiclimbride View Post
    Glad I was able to ride sugar city this spring before ebrpd trashed it with a contractors dozer.
    I do believe that contractor is the same one who built the trail in the first place. He knows how to build trails, but mini dozers don't work so good on banked turns.

Have you reached out to BTCEB or EBRPD to find out what the plans are? BTCEB has done many trail days there in the past year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I emailed btceb, Scott replied “The damage that was done was not their intent. We will be discussing ways to get the width they need for emergency access and to be able to mow weeds without damage to tread, berms, drains, and other features in the process. “

Also volunteered to join the crocket hills trail crew.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Sigh--is sugar city basically not a trail of any sort now ? This is a nice place to go and never crowded ---be very sad if it goes--one of the few actual legal east bay decent single track areas
    It is still a trail that is rideable , just a new one that will take some work and time to get it back to the smooth flow trail it was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks---I may go thursday morning

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiclimbride View Post
    It is still a trail that is rideable , just a new one that will take some work and time to get it back to the smooth flow trail it was.

I rode there Monday afternoon.

Soaring Eagle is overgrown enough that you can't see the trail.

SC trail, where the grading is underway is totally ridable. It's different and definitely not flow status but challenging if you want to push the limits of traction at speed. The original line mostly exists but there are many loose spots. The grading is not deep

Tree Frog is riding well with some PO to watch out for.

Side note regarding the pic of the tractor in the post above: There's a new trail being cut at that location. Far from being ready to ride but encouraging to see more trail being cut in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone ridden CH since things dried out and since the 'trail work' on sugar city? Curious if things are still badly overgrown or have the trails been whacked. Thanks

mtbr member
    Is it even worth it to ride there if Sugar City has been graded?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Have you tried fernandez ranch-----only 10 minutes from crockett--3 single track loops there---all intermediate at best but an option that is hidden---just off highway 4--Sugar City was ride able but no fun a couple of weeks ago---tree frog was perfect------soaring eagle was a bit over grown but did not bother me--lots of PO

mtbr member
    I rode CH yesterday.
    Soaring Eagle is a bit overgrown in some areas and some recent bovine trashing.
    SC has been regraded but is generally in good condition.
    Tree Frog is excellent.
    A fair bit of PO throughout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Have you tried fernandez ranch-----only 10 minutes from crockett--3 single track loops there---all intermediate at best but an option that is hidden---just off highway 4--Sugar City was ride able but no fun a couple of weeks ago---tree frog was perfect------soaring eagle was a bit over grown but did not bother me--lots of PO
    It's pretty nice there but the singletrack segments are so short. I thought they were neat and fun though. Not worth the drive when I have a few similar spots I can ride straight from my front door in Walnut Creek. Was pretty worth it when I lived in Martinez and needed a break from the local trails since all the singletrack in Martinez is typically just short, steep, straight, loose, and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by testa di cazzo View Post
    I rode CH yesterday.
    Soaring Eagle is a bit overgrown in some areas and some recent bovine trashing.
    SC has been regraded but is generally in good condition.
    Tree Frog is excellent.
    A fair bit of PO throughout.
    Does SC still have pumpable (did I just make a new word?) features or is it flat like a sidewalk now?

mtbr member
    Rode Crockett today. SC still pretty good. Probably just needs to be ridden more to get "broken in". Very nice bridge and looks like some work being done on Tree Frog. It doesn't have the most exciting trails but I still have a lot of fun there and it's one of the only parks in the East Bay where I can bump in to 6 or 7 riders but still get a feeling of much needed solitude. Thanks to all who do the trail work out there.

mtbr member
    Is there still a big tick problem here now that we're into July?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I had no ticks 6 weeks ago there--yes this is late for that issue

mtbr member
    Has anyone checked the trails during this dry spell? I know from the EBRPD FB page that some trail work has been done. Just curious if it's worth a visit or is too muddy or cattle damaged to consider riding

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I would advise against Crockett at this time. The back side holds water for a long time. We need at least a full week more of dry sunny weather.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I would advise against Crockett at this time. The back side holds water for a long time. We need at least a full week more of dry sunny weather.
    Thanks,

Actually looking for first hand info of anyone who's been there recently

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was out there Monday doing some work on Sugar City with the BTCEB folks. It's not bad. Was just a bit too muddy for me to go and ride too much since I dont have a spot to wash my bike properly right now. Saw a couple guys that rode everything and they said it was fine and their bikes weren't all gunked up with mud at the end. I think it's just really greasy right now. But it's been a couple dry days since then. I say go for it.

I'm interested to know what trail work the EBRPD has done recently there? Besides doing a terrible re-grade of Sugar City, destroying the burms and flattening the rollers, etc..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timboland View Post
    I was out there Monday doing some work on Sugar City with the BTCEB folks. It's not bad. Was just a bit too muddy for me to go and ride too much since I dont have a spot to wash my bike properly right now. Saw a couple guys that rode everything and they said it was fine and their bikes weren't all gunked up with mud at the end. I think it's just really greasy right now. But it's been a couple dry days since then. I say go for it.

I'm interested to know what trail work the EBRPD has done recently there? Besides doing a terrible re-grade of Sugar City, destroying the burms and flattening the rollers, etc..
    Awesome, thanks.

I'll chime in after I recon it tomorrow

mtbr member
    Rode the entire place yesterday. Green blanketed hills, hero dirt, no negligible mud and zero cattle. Go get some!

mtbr member
    Crockett was so good today. Sunny, calm, low 60s. Green hills all around. Sugar City was better than I've seen it in a few years. Tree Frog had a few moist sections but was mostly hero.

No cow poop. No hoof holes. No head-high weeds smacking you in the face. No ticks. All good.

We were having such a good time pedaling around we did some exploring on the Back Ranch and Kestrel fire roads just to get in a little extra.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Crockett was so good today. Sunny, calm, low 60s. Green hills all around. Sugar City was better than I've seen it in a few years. Tree Frog had a few moist sections but was mostly hero.

No cow poop. No hoof holes. No head-high weeds smacking you in the face. No ticks. All good.

We were having such a good time pedaling around we did some exploring on the Back Ranch and Kestrel fire roads just to get in a little extra.
    Crockett was pretty good today! I figure we have about two weeks before the grass gets too tall and the ticks come out in force.

The folks at BTCEB have been doing a great job keeping the trails there rideable - there are lots of spots they've improved drainage to keep the trail in good shape over the winter. I also really like the new bridge and re-route at the bottom of Sugar City - it's nice not having to cross the swamp at the bottom.

mtbr member
    PSA - Cows are down in the valley. Not many, I would say less than 20. Mama's and calves
    The green vegetation they're enjoying makes for liquid land mines but I still rate the overall experience of riding Crockett right now as excellent. Just have to watch for those mines

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Dan Ger and I rode it Sunday during the wind. Good conditions but Tree Frog was a bit of a mess. He and I cleared a few smaller trees n' branches and poison oak has slapped its mark on us both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-img_1727-2.jpg  

Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    seems like Crockett is famous for ticks...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSedgwick View Post
    seems like Crockett is famous for ticks...?
    Yeah, during the spring they get pretty bad, but partly because the grass gets kinda tall too - so they have plenty of opportunity to grab on as you brush by it.

Trail Gnome
    Jan 2011
    I can’t believe this thread has so many replies...have you ridden there? That place sucks.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I do not think "It Sucks" really takes into acccount the entire story of Crockett Hills. It was an incredible success when first built a few years ago. A miracle really, for the bay area. Nobody could foresee how bad the cows would damage the trails. Additionally, the soil is horrendous when turned to mud, peanut butter mud, after big rains. You are slightly disrespectful to the people that worked really hard trying to set up a very cool trail center. Some experienced trail builders built a multi use system that unfortunately will not draw enough maintenance workers until cattle grazing is forebidden. I understand your opinion that you think it sucks, so you should definitely not go there. I am guilty of saying on this forum "I am never going to Crockett again, until cattle is omitted". But the fact is, during a few months a year, I can go out there and rip 2500 ft of descending some pretty rad singletrack 20 minutes from my house. That definitely does not suck. But its only something I do 2-3 times per year vs Skyline Napa at 2-3 times per month. To each their own. Personally, I think Crockett is pretty close to a "failed attempt", but it does not suck.

mtbr member
    I rode it and had a good time. It's great that people put in the effort to make a cool thing for everyone.

Paper or plastic?
    Rode it once when it opened a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. No idea how it is now

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    It sucks so bad. Please stay away!

Crockett Hills - EXTREME bovine trail trashing!-screenshot_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Meat View Post
    I can’t believe this thread has so many replies...have you ridden there? That place sucks.
    All about perspective. Crockett has about 10 miles of legal singletrack, which is more than any other east bay park. Granted, there isn't really any technical or challenging stuff there, but there are a couple fun trails there, even more fun on my gravel bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I’m thinking about heading out there tomorrow with my two kids (5 and 9),but they aren’t up for climbing all the way up from the parking lot. Can you park at the south end of the park and come at “unfinished business” from the south?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhaji View Post
    I’m thinking about heading out there tomorrow with my two kids (5 and 9),but they aren’t up for climbing all the way up from the parking lot. Can you park at the south end of the park and come at “unfinished business” from the south?
    Thanks
    Not really, the only way in is the main parking lot at the very bottom of the hill. All of the spots that look like they connect with a road have locked gates, accessible only to the ranchers that run their cows through there. I wish the gates were open, I would love to link longer mixed terrain rides together going through the park on my gravel bike, but such is life.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Thanks to everyone that updated conditions out there. I went out and rode there on Tuesday (2/19), some of the best conditions there I have ever seen. Tree Frog dirt was still moist in the trees, as it is north facing, providing great traction. I had to do it twice (the goal is 3 x Tree Frog, but that was NOT happening). The climbing you have to do to reach each run is pretty brutal in the spring before I get fit, I am usually in better condition in the fall. Soaring Eagle back to truck had a tailwind! Only 2nd time that has happened to me. Crockett is a funny place, its kinda cool, kinda too XC, but I like it a few times a year. No poison oak branches now, fast hard trails with very few hoof bumps, no mud. If you have the legs,its really good (for Crockett). Hit it up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhaji View Post
    Thanks
    There's a couple of roadside turnouts you might park at. One on Crockett Blvd next to where a rolling trail segment comes out (Wood Rat on maps I checked), and one on Cummings Skyway, just near where the tunnel goes under the road and puts you on Soaring Eagle. I've heard comments that cars are not safe parked up there though. Might work as a shuttle drop spot.

Trail Gnome
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyStein View Post
    All about perspective. Crockett has about 10 miles of legal singletrack, which is more than any other east bay park. Granted, there isn't really any technical or challenging stuff there, but there are a couple fun trails there, even more fun on my gravel bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    There's a couple of roadside turnouts you might park at. One on Crockett Blvd next to where a rolling trail segment comes out (Wood Rat on maps I checked), and one on Cummings Skyway, just near where the tunnel goes under the road and puts you on Soaring Eagle. I've heard comments that cars are not safe parked up there though. Might work as a shuttle drop spot.
    I've never seen any of those gates unlocked 🤷🏼*♂️

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad to hear CH is in such good shape...I just got back from a 3 week trip so I'm not yet ready to ride there (my normal loop is about 14 miles, 2k feet of climbing), but hopefully in a few days. No change in the weather forecast, which is both good and bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Last time I went to park up on Cummings Skyway there was a fence blocking the entrance near the tunnel, and almost all of the turnout too. I had to drive down to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Rode today----climb to tunnel trails is nice and grippy as it is shaded-------Soaring eagle is hard pack like summer and it seems smoother this year probably as the cows are not there-----tree frog is grippy in the shade and hard pack in the sun-----so about as good as I have ever seen it.

Note there are no over grown areas----all the foliage is nice and short and I saw Zero cows---nice----I think the trails are as good as it gets right now-----may dry out quick with the forecast temps.

jrm
    mtbr member
    updates as of 4/21? access, conditions..thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Crockett is pretty good right now. They still haven't let the cows in there yet (that I can tell). Sugar City got mowed recently. Tree frog just slightly over grown at the top and bottom and some random PO here and there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How crowded are the trails these days? Not much room to social distance on a lot of those trails. Am getting antsy to ride somewhere other than Briones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Go early. I stopped parking in the lot as well. I would consider it crowded by 10AM. Lots of hikers within a mile or two of the lot. Treefrog will reliably be free of hikers. Sugar City occasionally will have hikers. I would avoid Soaring Eagle and just take the fire road to the hellipad. I been riding the fire roads out to Treefrog and repeating it until im tired. However, it seems like way more riders are climbing up treefrog these days. Just a little annoying. Been a cpl times I have to pass the same person(s) twice because I'll ride the fire road back up to the top and come back down before their done.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for update timboland.
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

mtbr member
    Was there today, it was great.

I tick was on my leg, it had not bitten me, just walking around...gross.

Registered Jong
    Got to crockett today around 1130. Saw 3 or 4 other people in the parking lot. Rode the big loop unit 1ish and still half full.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got there around 3 ,10 so cars. Saw 12 or so riders and about the hikers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Cows are back. I think the star thistle is really gonna pop in the next week or so.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Okay, I have Thursday off, slacker style. I have been working outside, in Walnut Creek, too damn hot! 100 last few days. Whats the scoop on Crockett this week? Cows? Seems like conditions are too dry for cows to ruin trails. Ticks? Poison Oak streamers? I am always looking for the Quad-fecta at Crockett: 1)Smooth from cow post holes, 2)no poison oak bushwhacks on Treefrog/Sugar City, 3) no or few ticks, 4) an Easterly wind for the hour 3 Soaring Eagle 🦅 "Barely" DH. Anyone up for intel? Thank you (again).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Okay, I have Thursday off, slacker style. I have been working outside, in Walnut Creek, too damn hot! 100 last few days. Whats the scoop on Crockett this week? Cows? Seems like conditions are too dry for cows to ruin trails. Ticks? Poison Oak streamers? I am always looking for the Quad-fecta at Crockett: 1)Smooth from cow post holes, 2)no poison oak bushwhacks on Treefrog/Sugar City, 3) no or few ticks, 4) an Easterly wind for the hour 3 Soaring Eagle 🦅 "Barely" DH. Anyone up for intel? Thank you (again).
    how do you feel about skunks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Cow damage is minimal. The majority of the cows are in the Soaring Eagle pasture although they have tied open the gate at the top of Sugar City so the ones left behind to the south can get to water. Cattle were kept to the far south or SE pastures until a couple of weeks ago. Ticks have been low this spring and are very low right now. Sugar City, Soaring Eagle, Two Peaks, Warep, and Tree Frog have been mowed by the park district with some follow up volunteer brushing. There are sections where second growth and tall growth outside the mower path are leaning into the trail. Poison oak brushing by volunteers was significant in April / May so PO bushwhacks are low but non zero. Good luck with the wind.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Thanks! It still sounds good, was there April 25th last. Skunks huh? Funny.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yup, it's running good. The recent mowing on Tree Frog was really nice. I take back my comment on star thistle. Shows what I know about plants..

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Thanks guys, I hit it today, its in great shape. But the wind killed me by 1pm. Nice empty lot, no crowds. Maybe 4 other bikes in 3 hrs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123