Coyotes at UC- Mtbr.com

Thread: Coyotes at UC

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Coyotes at UC

Just ran into two very brave coyotes on Chinquapin rd just above the top of U-con.

One was stalking me and followed me as I rode up and got within ten feet on the fire road, then he was joined by another. Both kept close until the next junction.

Pretty clear that they were not scared, Iím a pretty big guy, so Iím sure they wouldnít have a go, but itís concerning for kids or puppies.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Good of you to share. Not sure they wouldn't have a go, especially if they had any other friends around. In any event, you are right on about kids and puppies (or even bigger dogs).

Caca pasa
    I love seeing coyotes in the fields behind my house. My dog's even romped with one a couple of times- she came back with a love cut, so I try not to let that happen too often.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Sounds like maybe the ones have seen on the Wilder Ranch side along the fire road. They werent scared either..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I love seeing coyotes in the fields behind my house. My dog's even romped with one a couple of times- she came back with a love cut, so I try not to let that happen too often.
    You may already know this, but just in case: Sometimes one or two coyote might try to lure a dog out in an area where the rest of the coyote pack is hiding, waiting to ambush.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Random story: I haven't seen a coyote since last spring, but this summer I was riding around sunset on the Coyote Creek (foreshadowing) bike path in South San Jose near the horse farm, when a cacophony of sound erupted. My brain was trying to put it in context and I thought somebody had music blaring. Of course, it turned out to be a pack of coyotes yipping before they headed out on a hunt, maybe 100 feet away from me in the brush. Pretty damn cool.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    I used to live about a mile down Empire Grade from twin gates (incidentally right across the street from a certain mailbox that a certain trail that doesn't exist may or may not have been named after). Crazy howling from the yard would wake me up early in the morning on a regular basis. Sounded like someone left 50 screaming babies on my porch.

Couple months ago I was up at twin gates right at the start of a trail and a dog came up the trail towards me about 10 feet away, I figured its owner must be right behind and I started talking to the dog, like hey how's it going little guy, then I was like waaaait a minute that's not a normal dog... Sure enough it was a coyote. Started at me for a few seconds and then headed off into the brush, wasn't scared of me at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    In Socal, many coyotes have become 'urbanized'; i.e. many of their natural behaviors have been exchanged for 'urbanized', stealthy behavior. Out in the sticks, where I generally like to be, their vocalizations punctuate the peaceful softness of wind and other natural sounds.

In urban settings, they only 'yip' for the briefest time necessary, and increasingly, not at all.
    Collectively, they've learned that human attention can bring unpleasant consequences, and all the pet animals go inside.
    They are much smarter than most domestic animals.
    People, too!

mtbr member
    While riding my road bike about 10 years ago, I had a bizarre experience with a coyote on Stevens Canyon Road about a quarter mile from the gate. I was JRA when a coyote that was near the side of the road jumped straight up at my face as I went by it. I took my right hand off the bar to put up and block it from hitting me and it made contact with the right side of my handlebar. That of course torqued the bars sideways and I went OTB landing in the road. I hopped up thinking I'd have to fend it off, but while it was only 10 feet away from me, it just looked at me and started trotting away down the road.

I just had some road rash and bumps/bruises. Luckily the coyote hit my bars and not the hand/arm I put up. No idea why it did that. Maybe defending young nearby?

Moderator Moderator
    I'm glad I ride in an area without wolves. 'Urbanized' wolves would be pretty scary.

mtbr member
    More like dinner escaped cut

Have seen them near the water tanks, close to humans and not bothered by it.

I also rode next to one that was 3 feet from the trail, entire group ride went by. I think that one was sick. That was somewhere around skyline.

mtbr member
    I raced a coyote for about half a mile down Hwy 9 when it was closed a few years back. I could barely keep up with him. He finally peeled off and ran down the hill toward the train tracks.

I also saw a way-too-chill coyote Monday morning on Chinquapin. He ran away when I stopped to take his picture.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    More like dinner escaped cut
    Not always. It's known that coyote packs can sometimes bait individual dogs into a vulnerable place and attack them, but there are also lots of instances where dogs have joined coyote packs. Same way that sometimes dogs at the dog park all get along fine, other times they decide to hate each other.

Back around 2000, I was living in Nevada City and riding Pioneer trail and Burlington Ridge a ton with my cattledog mutt, Lena Toast. One evening we were paced by a pair of coyote as we went uphill somewhere White Cloud. An hour later, coming back down, Lena was running ahead of me and had gone out of sight. I emerged into a logging clearing to see her on the other side cutting hot laps and play wrestling with the same two coyote. Three animals all about the same size, just ripping around the clearing, faking and juking with each other. I watched them play for about 5 minutes before whistling for her to come. She trotted over, we headed down the trail, the coyotes stood there and watched us go, nothing menacing about it.
    hold my beer...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I'm glad I ride in an area without wolves. 'Urbanized' wolves would be pretty scary.
    A buddy of mine and I spotted one of the first "coy-wolves", here in San Diego County. It was on a trail behind a peak in the Cuyamacas. They have a much wider head than a regular 'yote, and they look to weigh 70 lb.s +.

Officially, they don't exist here yet, but the county Trapper I know confirmed our sighting.
    They're gonna make a dent in the domestic animal world..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    A buddy of mine and I spotted one of the first "coy-wolves", here in San Diego County. It was on a trail behind a peak in the Cuyamacas. They have a much wider head than a regular 'yote, and they look to weigh 70 lb.s +.

Officially, they don't exist here yet, but the county Trapper I know confirmed our sighting.
    They're gonna make a dent in the domestic animal world..
    Holy shit, if they're in San Diego then it won't be too long before they're all over the rest of California.

Back when I was living in Orange County I went for a walk in an open space behind my office in Irvine. Came over a crest and a whole pack of healthy looking coyotes raised their heads up out of the grass to check me out. I wasn't too spooked because they're just coyotes, but having a whole pack watch me was a little nervous making.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Coincidentally today I happened upon this wolf / husky hybrid. Super cool dog but definitely had a wild side to him. Made me a bit nervous petting him and I never get nervous with dogs. I guess it was how he almost yanked his owners arms out of the sockets when a small dog on leash walked by. The owner said he tends to be attracted to the small dogs and not in a good way. Obviously the wolf in him.

Coyotes at UC-46837e3b-e062-4a40-9beb-945a2df1d2c9.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    You may already know this, but just in case: Sometimes one or two coyote might try to lure a dog out in an area where the rest of the coyote pack is hiding, waiting to ambush.

That myth has been busted.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Iíve told this story in here before but the the heck. My dog Bandit who passed away in 2015 at 15.5 years old. He was half Doberman and half Border Collie. A sweetheart of a dog but he did tend to hate cats and Coyotes. On my normal routine one morning on my way to work, [Bandit was kept in the garage at night in the winter months] I went out to the garage and opened up the large door to back my truck out. Iíd then walk him to the fenced in back yard for the day. He usually would just hang out until I backed the truck out. This day as Iím backing out I catch him in my rear view mirror suddenly take off. I jumped out of the truck just in time to see a Coyote across the street under a street light. Itís a park like setting with a dumpster under the light. Just as I see the Coyote Bandit is full speed [dog could haul ass] barreling into the Coyote. The Coyote never saw him coming. A nasty ball of snarling fight right in front of me. No sooner did it start when all of a sudden two more Coyotes came out of the bushes and joined in. I was stuck not knowing what to do. Seconds to minutes went by and all of a sudden all three Coyotes turned tail and ran. Bandit hot on their heels. Iíve never seen such a spectacle. The Coyotes had their tails tucked at full speed turning their necks back and biting at Bandit still running at full speed. I only had a few seconds to glimpse this as they ran out of the beam of the street lights. Off they went into the dark. Iím freaking out yelling at Bandit and he just kept chasing. All of a sudden I hear them going at it again a 100 or so yards away off in the dark, then silence. Holy crap! My mind went to, they killed Bandit. Iím yelling his name for what seemed like 10 minutes when all of a sudden he comes cruising back wagging his tail and as happy as could be. I checked him over and only found one gash on his snout. I never took him to get checked out and he healed pretty quick. He always had the 1-2Ē battle wound though. I couldnít believe he took on 3 Coyotes and won. At least to a point he did, they chickened out and hightailed it out of there. He was about 10 years or so when this happened. Hereís a photo of him at 10 years old. Coyotes at UC-2bb11315-7297-479f-9a0d-452ffee6472d.jpg
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-14-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    In Socal, many coyotes have become 'urbanized'; i.e. many of their natural behaviors have been exchanged for 'urbanized', stealthy behavior. Out in the sticks, where I generally like to be, their vocalizations punctuate the peaceful softness of wind and other natural sounds.
    Having lived in LA for 12 years, coyotes are ubiquitous. Zero fear of humans. My first night in the city, there was a coyote casually walking around on the city streets. If I was a cat or small dog, I might worry, but otherwise, you're totally fine.

Griffith Park and surrounding areas have a large number of fools feeding them (i've witnessed it, was so shocked I couldn't even say anything [lady on a horse sure did]). Unfortunately, they get culled often for becoming so friendly.

Even here in SF, my old office a couple blocks from the Embarcadero had a coyote family living across the street on the hillside. They were super cute.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I can't imagine how many small dogs in SC they could snatch up. My old lab was slaughtered by coyotes, we had no idea they were in the area, it was unheard of where we were. Other family had goats ripped apart (different area of the country), thankfully he has a big toy room to play back with

be1
    mtbr member
    it is said that yotes killl cats for food and dogs for fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Coyotes in SF are fed sometimes too. The one on Bernal got hit by cars all the time because it associated cars with food.

I've heard of someone in SC having the 'lured by coyote' experience. They were riding some trail and followed one for a while... until they found themselves surrounded. Turned and left!

(Were they lured or was it a conicidence? Who knows.)