Corral & Tyrolean for beginners?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Corral & Tyrolean for beginners?

My college-aged nephew is spending the next couple of months in Reno, and he wants me to take him mountain biking. He doesn't ride, but he's great balance is a go for it kind of kid.

I want to get him on the stoke of riding, so looking for shuttles that he'd be able to handle that will put a smile on his face.

Corral seems like it would fit the bill, but it the three-mile climb is a lot for non-rider (tho we could shuttle with another driver).

Thinking Tyrolean might be fun for him but I don't want to get him in over his head.

Another thought is the Rim trail from Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Road. It's got some climbs, and some tech bits that I'd need to walk him through, but it would give him a sense of the epicness of riding.

What do people think about those trails for beginners?
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Why not start closer to home and try a shuttle on Whites Creek?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I wouldn't take him down Upper Corral until he has some experience, but it seems like Sidewinder would be okay after he's done a few rides. Also, he might have more fun at first on Cedar than Lower Corral. And maybe not Tyrolean for a beginner, but Incline Flume seems like it would work.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Never ridden that trail, but I've heard good things.

I'm driving up from the Bay Area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That's a good idea. Could even do Incline Flume to lower Tyrolean, so something like that depending on how he does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post

I just rode Tyrolean yesterday....there are better trails suited for beginners... Go to Tamba website and also use the local LBS as a resource.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post

Not sure if you were talking to me there, but Whites Creek is right outside of Reno and a super easy shuttle for a 1st timer.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/lo...s-creek-trail/

Some other fun trails in the Galena Creek park. All riding really well right now but it does get hot in the summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    If you're interested in riding South Lake Tahoe then I'd give OTE a call and see what they have to say. They run shuttles throughout the area, and they may have some good insight.
    https://otesports.com/locations/south-lake-tahoe/

I second what Callendar says about Corral. If you head there I'd do definitely ride Sidewinder instead of Upper Corral.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ Good call on OTE (maybe Van Sickle after he has a little experience). And since your nephew is just learning, you could do way worse than take the s/t from their shop down to Cold Creek, climb up until it gets spicy, then head over to Bijou Bike Park to work on some skills.

And I haven't ridden there yet, but I know Tahoe Mountain has some easier trails.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Tyrolean is fun. But not a beginner trail. There area features - jumps, pavers, soft sand pits, banked turns, rocks / rock gardens. That make it not "first ride friendly". I think it's accurately rated as an intermediate trail.

If he does well on the easier trails for sure it's worth a try. I would not start him on that.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    You could also look at the stinger trail. It is easy and hard as you want it to be. Tahoe Mountain is fun but there will be some climbing there. Sidewinder would be perfect as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crallen68 View Post
    You could also look at the stinger trail. It is easy and hard as you want it to be. Tahoe Mountain is fun but there will be some climbing there. Sidewinder would be perfect as well.
    Agree on Kingsbury Stinger. That trail is so good, and not hard to ride every inch of it. I descended it at the end of a three-day bikepacking trip on a hardtail loaded to 60 pounds and I was grinning like an idiot the entire time.

member you member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    ^ Good call on OTE (maybe Van Sickle after he has a little experience). And since your nephew is just learning, you could do way worse than take the s/t from their shop down to Cold Creek, climb up until it gets spicy, then head over to Bijou Bike Park to work on some skills.
    Some nice person put some little red arrow stickers on the local street signs pointing strait to Bijou Bike Park from OTE. Maybe hit up Bijou for some skills, and head across the street to the Hartoonian network of trails, which are very beginner friendly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is it Flume bikes that also does shuttles? I wouldn't take a beginner on Tyrolean ,too many chances for getting in over their head. I took my GF On the the rim from Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel creek ,she's still a beginner after riding for around 4 years . She did it ,didn't like it .Too much hike a bike and rocks for her.

member you member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Is it Flume bikes that also does shuttles? I wouldn't take a beginner on Tyrolean ,too many chances for getting in over their head. I took my GF On the the rim from Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel creek ,she's still a beginner after riding for around 4 years . She did it ,didn't like it .Too much hike a bike and rocks for her.

Flume Trail Bikes generally only runs from their place in Incline to Spooner Lake and vice versa.

OTE only runs from their place to either Luther Pass, 207 at Tramway (Dagget Loop) or the top of Tramway Dr at Stagecoach Lodge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Flume Trail Bikes normally does shuttles to Tahoe Meadows, but don't know about this year. I assume shuttle capacity will be restricted.

I took my wife, who doesn't mountain bike, on the Rim Trail from Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Road and she did just fine as long as I warned her about the tough spots. It's a good one as it's largely downhill to Tunnel Road. We ended up going out/back on the Marlette Flume as well.

I think of Tyrolean as pretty rollable -- as there's not much technical on that trail. But that's why I posted for a sanity check.

But then again, I've taken athletic beginners down Pauley Creek / 3rd Divide

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    Agree on Kingsbury Stinger. That trail is so good, and not hard to ride every inch of it. I descended it at the end of a three-day bikepacking trip on a hardtail loaded to 60 pounds and I was grinning like an idiot the entire time.
    Love it. I haven't been down Stinger since they re-worked it several/many years ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Agreed -- Sidewider would be more fun for him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Shoreline (in Stateline, NV) can shuttle you to a good spot for Kingsbury Stinger--which is yes a good trail for someone with good balance and general bike skills but few mtb skills. They are also very close to the bottom of the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Not sure if you were talking to me there, but Whites Creek is right outside of Reno and a super easy shuttle for a 1st timer.
    That's a pretty good call. I've been meaning to check out that area, as I've been told there's been some building going on on the old roads and such in there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yeah, good call. Bijou is exactly the type of place I'd take a new rider to get them up to speed on a mountain bike.