Life's a Garden, dig it!

The Coroner's Wagon

Just saw the Coroner's van pull away from my neighbor's house. He was in a bag in the back.

I've watched his life spiral out of control for the last 10+ years and wondered when this day would come. He was once a talented engineer and fellow car guy who I used to be able to call, my friend. He turned to methamphetamine and began attracting all the dregs and denizens of that lifestyle to our neighborhood.

I can only say, good riddance! It's sad to watch it happen, but I'm anxious to get our 'hood back.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

3rd Coolest
    Brutal, makes me appreciate the things that have kept me off of drugs(biking) even more.

Trail Gnome
    R.I.P. methhead
    Last edited by griz; 1 Week Ago at 08:56 AM. Reason: Sarcasm

mtbr member
    Engineer... started with math. Ended with meth.

I'll see myself out.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    The thing is, when he started down this path, he knew he could outsmart the drug.

I picked him up from rehab one time and I asked him, "Rob, now that you're sober, what are you going to do to stay that way?" His answer: "I figure I can do this every six months for the rest of my life."

He did multiple rehab stints and then just gave up on sobriety.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had to go to my ex- brother in law's service on Monday. He was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He and my sister divorced 14 years ago, he remarried, and divorced again. Then got into meth. He jumped off the golden gate the day before new years.
    I agree with the OP, sad to see what that shit does to people.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like he had a disease, meth addiction, which likely is what killed him. Like alcoholism, meth addiction is progressive and ends in either death or remission. But the progression is quicker with meth.

mtbr member
    There are a lot of people on the street who couldn't maintain their lives that way. Lost their homes before the drugs have killed them. They are on their way.

It's like coffee didn't do it for them anymore, so they stepped it up to stronger stuff. I'm sure it's more common than anyone wants to believe.

I had a guy come into my shop one day. He was driving an Audi Q5, so I assume he had a pretty good job. He said he felt bad for all of the homeless on my street and felt like he should get them some food. He was talking really fast. I told him my take on their condition and how some of them could have been his neighbors a year ago. After he left, I realized that he was wired, probably on some sort of methamphetamine himself.

Mountain biking may be an expensive drug, but it's a lot healthier and ultimately cheaper in the long term.

mtbr member
    That is what absolutely scares me about drug use/abuse. How not in control one is when they are on it. No matter what they say, they are the puppet. Sorry for your loss.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Sad.

Apparently Iím at a loss for words.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Flat Pluto Society
    Ugh. Did he have a family?

Hope the 'hood cleans up now.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    He has a sister (a physician) who lives over in the central valley, IIRC. I used to have his dad's number, but I'm betting he has passed.

I'm going to keep my ear to the ground and see if she shows up to wrap things up. The house was in foreclosure, so if his sis shows up, it would just be to get rid of his cars and stuff.

Moderator Moderator
    My dad had one of the worst jobs in the Vietnam War. I asked him what he learned from it. He said, 'there's no consequence I'm not willing to face.'

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    He has a sister (a physician) who lives over in the central valley, IIRC. I used to have his dad's number, but I'm betting he has passed.

I'm going to keep my ear to the ground and see if she shows up to wrap things up. The house was in foreclosure, so if his sis shows up, it would just be to get rid of his cars and stuff.
    The house was in foreclosure so maybe it was a suicide.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    My brother was really into that shit years ago. Looks like he os off the stuff now but he has never been the same since.
    Have another friend who has been homeless
    For years. He loves that stuff more than he loves himself.
    I finally told him last year that i could not be his friend any longer if he didnt clean himself up.
    Pretty sad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    My dad had one of the worst jobs in the Vietnam War. I asked him what he learned from it. He said, 'there's no consequence I'm not willing to face.'
    I thank your dad for his service

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    I thank your dad for his service
    Thanks man. Funny thing is he's the last person who would ever ask for any recognition. He never goes to reunions at Ft Bragg or wears any Army stuff etc. He's the least macho guy you'd ever meet. I was always so happy he wasn't messed up from the war, like so many of the guys he served with are.

mtbr member
    I always trip out when someone that has a good career and life starts taking that shit. How do you ever think that it's a good idea to try meth?
    RIP to your neighbor, You never know what is going on in peoples heads.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

A lot of conclusion jumping in this thread. Sure, he was a meth head, life out of control. How do we know how he died? An intensional OD. An accidental OD. Some other form of suicide? Or something not even mentioned that wasnít intensional.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    A lot of conclusion jumping in this thread. Sure, he was a meth head, life out of control. How do we know how he died? An intentional OD. An accidental OD. Some other form of suicide? Or something not even mentioned that wasnít intentional.
    Yeah, I can't really speculate at this point. I can tell you he was arrogant as hell, so an intentional suicide is pretty unlikely, but you never know.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Always sad to see someone self destruct.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    An unfortunate event. I have had friends who struggled with meth addiction. Was never difficult to tell when they were "off the wagon".

Flat Pluto Society
    I have an acquaintance who always seems to have the stuff around when I go over there, but he doesn't show any signs of addiction. He's got all his teeth and he leads a normal life. Maybe he's 'got it under control', if that's possible.

Oh, and he's retired from working at UPS. Imagine that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I have an acquaintance who always seems to have the stuff around when I go over there, but he doesn't show any signs of addiction. He's got all his teeth and he leads a normal life. Maybe he's 'got it under control', if that's possible.

Oh, and he's retired from working at UPS. Imagine that.
    UPS jobs involve a lotta "hustle". Maybe that's one scenario where the stuff would be advantageous.

After all,the Nazis gave it to many of their pilots....

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    UPS jobs involve a lotta "hustle". Maybe that's one scenario where the stuff would be advantageous.

Man, I dunno how people can function on that shit. I mean the first day, you're having a grand ol' time, but the next few days after that are a living hell.

Or so I'm told.

mtbr member

So did the US! It has been officially available to pilots since WW2 to help with fatigue. It is estimated that half of the pilots in the Gulf War volunteered to use amphetamines

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    We moved in next door to him in 1994. My wife and I always thought that the guy was a bit of a hypochondriac, but lots of people are. All in all, he was a good guy though and we had a lot in common.

When he was in his early 40s, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He fought that and came away with a clean bill of health, but his attitude about things seemed to change. He quit riding with me because his ass hurt. He never got back on the bike after about 2004. In about 2006 he started getting prescriptions for Adderall, but I'm not sure why. That was probably the start of his amphetamine addiction. His dad and I stayed in touch and he asked me to keep track of Rob as much as I could. Dad was always concerned.

In the last few years there were indications that he was manufacturing the stuff and dealing, but when I confronted him, he always denied it. Whenever we (the neighbors) would get fed up with the people coming and going, we would get on him and it would die down for a bit, but always came back.

I hope I can chat with his sis and find out what the heck happened.

jrm
    mtbr member

Ive gotta a couple of neighbors i wouldn't mind hauled off in a meat wagon

damn mouth breathers..

https://youtu.be/nHKs-gNoMJA

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    So did the US! It has been officially available to pilots since WW2 to help with fatigue. It is estimated that half of the pilots in the Gulf War volunteered to use amphetamines
    All's I ever got were "bennies" and truly awful black coffee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Truth. But there's a huge difference between the two substances. Meth and amphetamines.

If you know any LEO's, they have some real stories to tell

I've lost both friends relatives to it

Flat Pluto Society
    I'm grinding my teeth just reading this thread.

I feel like I got a hat on.

mtbr member
    Truth. But there's a huge difference between the two substances. Meth and amphetamines.

If you know any LEO's, they have some real stories to tell

I've lost both friends relatives to it
    Good point, though it still seems like playing with fire

I believe the Germans were using true meth in WW2, vs benzedrine in the US.

Flat Pluto Society
    He quit riding with me because his ass hurt.
    Yeah.

Ok.

Flat Pluto Society
    All's I ever got were "bennies" and truly awful black coffee.
    Are you a fan of the Reacher novels?

Child, Lee. The Enemy. [Joe] was probably the only other human on the planet who liked coffee as much as I did. He started drinking it when he was six. I copied him immediately. I was four. Neither of us has stopped since. The Reacher brothers' need for caffeine makes heroin addiction look like an amusing little take-it-or-leave-it sideline.

middle ring single track
    Addiction is a bitch.

A lucky few can beat it if they have inner strength, a supportive family and strong (good?) friends.

Meth makes for good TV shows but tabacco and alcohol probably do more damage. (For forming addictive behavior patterns)

My own close encounter came via the way of Oxycontin/oxicodone and my late cousin; we're the same age and we both grew up in the foothills of the future Silicon Valley. Different sides of the tracks though; his peer group in Alum Rock was far different from mine in Los Gatos. The last time we saw each other in our youth was just after HS; he had M. Haggard's "snowball headed for hell" written all over him.

We connected again 40 years later; condolences on my mother's passing. He'd been through some rough times but he SEEMED pretty well centered. A few weeks after "getting back together" came the call "could you help me out, I'm about to lose my apartment?" He was very open about his situation; disabled from a fall from a pole (broken back) as a CTV installer, got hooked on Oxy, couldn't keep a desk job (sitting) because of persistent back pain, was getting SS for permanent disability and was able to rent in upscale Walnut Creek because he was selling half of his Oxy to make the rent. He was so proud he was a recovered alcoholic. Was working on stopping smoking. Oxy was just a fact of life.

New policies RE prescription painkillers meant that his dosage had been cut in half and with it his income for rent. The scheme was that if I'd help him get into a cheaper apt. he'd be OK. So I lent him some money. Then I gave gave him some money. Then I bought all his tools and his sporting gear. After this 3rd time we both understood he'd just struck out in regards to getting any more financial aid from me.
    Oxy!

He got evicted; I helped him move his remaining belongs into a storage unit. He started living in his car; getting a motel room one weekend a month. A year goes by. (Actually a pretty good year according to him; living in parks 2 weeks at a time) Oxy!

Then the car breaks down beyond repair. One more trip to the storage unit. Now he's living under a bridge (in Walnut Creek of course). Gets around via bicycle. Health begins to fail. Another year goes by. I admire his optimism. Oxy!

Complications from living homeless means amputations of his toes. He gets put up in convalescent homes 90 days at a time.. Then it's back to the streets. Then back to ER then back to convalescent home. To the street. He knows what's coming. Oxy!

Finally the social workers find a closer relative to take him in. He lived a couple more months and died in the home of his sister. He had just turned 60.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Sounds like he had a disease, meth addiction, which likely is what killed him. Like alcoholism, meth addiction is progressive and ends in either death or remission. But the progression is quicker with meth.
    Yep. Poor souls. And none of us are immune under the right circumstances.
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member
    Poignant telling of a too familiar tale. I'm sorry for your loss.
    My Favorite Peeps:

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Poignant telling of a too familiar tale. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Thanks.

Telling the story helps me process it.

Curiously; my cousin was a fantastic writer. In his storage unit were short stories from college writing classes.

To no avail; I encouraged him to try his hand at writing professionally.

Well read too; after donating about 3/4's of his books, I kept about 6 feet worth of bookshelf.

And he dabbled in photography. Nothing could get the monkey off his back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah.

Ok.
    Actually, Finch, I AM a fan of Lee Childs Reacher, but mostly because of his character, because I've employed some of the tactics in real life that Reacher does in the books.
    But as far as institutional coffee, if ever have to drink another cup of that corrosive fluid, it will be a desperate day indeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Addiction is a bitch.

A lucky few can beat it if they have inner strength, a supportive family and strong (good?) friends.

Meth makes for good TV shows but tabacco and alcohol probably do more damage. (For forming addictive behavior patterns)

My own close encounter came via the way of Oxycontin/oxicodone and my late cousin; we're the same age and we both grew up in the foothills of the future Silicon Valley. Different sides of the tracks though; his peer group in Alum Rock was far different from mine in Los Gatos. The last time we saw each other in our youth was just after HS; he had M. Haggard's "snowball headed for hell" written all over him.

We connected again 40 years later; condolences on my mother's passing. He'd been through some rough times but he SEEMED pretty well centered. A few weeks after "getting back together" came the call "could you help me out, I'm about to lose my apartment?" He was very open about his situation; disabled from a fall from a pole (broken back) as a CTV installer, got hooked on Oxy, couldn't keep a desk job (sitting) because of persistent back pain, was getting SS for permanent disability and was able to rent in upscale Walnut Creek because he was selling half of his Oxy to make the rent. He was so proud he was a recovered alcoholic. Was working on stopping smoking. Oxy was just a fact of life.

New policies RE prescription painkillers meant that his dosage had been cut in half and with it his income for rent. The scheme was that if I'd help him get into a cheaper apt. he'd be OK. So I lent him some money. Then I gave gave him some money. Then I bought all his tools and his sporting gear. After this 3rd time we both understood he'd just struck out in regards to getting any more financial aid from me.
    Oxy!

He got evicted; I helped him move his remaining belongs into a storage unit. He started living in his car; getting a motel room one weekend a month. A year goes by. (Actually a pretty good year according to him; living in parks 2 weeks at a time) Oxy!

Then the car breaks down beyond repair. One more trip to the storage unit. Now he's living under a bridge (in Walnut Creek of course). Gets around via bicycle. Health begins to fail. Another year goes by. I admire his optimism. Oxy!

Complications from living homeless means amputations of his toes. He gets put up in convalescent homes 90 days at a time.. Then it's back to the streets. Then back to ER then back to convalescent home. To the street. He knows what's coming. Oxy!

Finally the social workers find a closer relative to take him in. He lived a couple more months and died in the home of his sister. He had just turned 60.
    That's a sad story, Moped. And Oxy was supposed to be LESS addictive than heroin!

Every brand new opioid put on the market is initially marketed as such, and ends up being the new standard for addiction!

mtbr member
    I don't get the drug. I think people who enjoy it are pretty far off from go. At least opiates enduce euphoria. I would never do anything habitually self destructive and can't relate to those that do including people very close to me. Society is a great enabler. We no longer have real experiences, real community, live real authentic lives. We're born into a demanding machine and many will never develop the tools to cope. I feel very fortunate for my perspective as I internalize no pressure to conform.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member

Criminalize drug addiction

Just saw the Coroner's van pull away from my neighbor's house. He was in a bag in the back.

I've watched his life spiral out of control for the last 10+ years and wondered when this day would come. He was once a talented engineer and fellow car guy who I used to be able to call, my friend. He turned to methamphetamine and began attracting all the dregs and denizens of that lifestyle to our neighborhood.

I can only say, good riddance! It's sad to watch it happen, but I'm anxious to get our 'hood back.
    Criminalize drug addiction - this so called war on drugs has done great things to america.

criminalization has worked wonders for the black community.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    He should of tried an ebike.
    Could of changed his life.
    Just sayin.
    Carry on.

mtbr member
    Lot's of drugs/alcohol abuse in the restaurant industry (my job for the past 30 years).
    Had my fun back in the early '90's...
    I'm probably the only restaurant employee in the valley (Napa Valley) that doesn't go
    to the bar after work and stay up all night partying.
    I gotta ride in the morning before work!

Damn kids these days - get off my lawn!

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    Lot's of drugs/alcohol abuse in the restaurant industry (my job for the past 30 years).
    Had my fun back in the early '90's...
    I'm probably the only restaurant employee in the valley (Napa Valley) that doesn't go
    to the bar after work and stay up all night partying.
    I gotta ride in the morning before work!

Damn kids these days - get off my lawn!
    Anthony Bourdain---R.I.P.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Looks like it was a heart attack. After years of abuse, it's no surprise.

Looks like it was a heart attack. After years of abuse, it's no surprise.
    Meth would do that. How old was he?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I don't get the drug. I think people who enjoy it are pretty far off from go. At least opiates enduce euphoria.
    Back in the bad old 70's when I was in college, meth was fairly common and used as a study aid. I knew probably 10-20 people who used it recreationally or to cram for exams. In the years after college none of those I kept track of were into it and 40+ years later they all have nice "normal" lives and careers. Nobody would ever imagine they were once "self-destructive meth heads".

I'm not saying it isn't a dangerous and potentially addictive and destructive drug, but addiction also involves not having anything else worthwhile going on in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    Back in the bad old 70's when I was in college, meth was fairly common and used as a study aid. I knew probably 10-20 people who used it recreationally or to cram for exams. In the years after college none of those I kept track of were into it and 40+ years later they all have nice "normal" lives and careers. Nobody would ever imagine they were once "self-destructive meth heads".

I'm not saying it isn't a dangerous and potentially addictive and destructive drug, but addiction also involves not having anything else worthwhile going on in your life.
    Hitler forced his soldiers to use it, he also was an addict.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-craze-113396/

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Meth would do that. How old was he?
    Would have been 60 on the 27th of this month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Um, no. Addiction is a disease that can affect anyone. I know many people who are very successful in their careers, well-liked, have wonderful families, are active, etc. and who have or have had problems with addiction concurrent with all or many of those things going on. Of course you are way less likely to turn to drugs in these circumstances, but it happens quite a bit nonetheless.

I don't really like arguing with other folks on forums (especially an MTB forum where I know I would like pretty much anyone if we met in person and rode or talked about bikes). Just wanted to clear this up because I think it's a dangerous misconception. A lot of those who slip into addiction do so from a place of success thinking they can't get addicted because they're successful.

mtbr member

I wouldn't put it in such simple terms exactly but more or less coincides with my post.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Upcyclist
    You could have everything worthwhile going for you and still get hooked.

By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I just talked to my neighbor's sister. It was most likely his heart after all the years of abuse. She's obviously still distraught, but agreed that we all saw this day coming. She's changed all the locks on the house and has notified all the neighbors to call the cops if we see anybody at all hanging around.

Fortunately, my neighbor had pulled his shit together long enough to save the house from foreclosure last month. It'll now be in probate for a year or so before things get sorted out.

mtbr member
    Probate is the best neighbor you'll never have. Enjoy it while it lasts

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Agreed. She did say the house is a wreck though. Not sure what the timeline will be to renovate it. I'm also concerned about his denizen friends going through all his shit. I know he had several firearms and lots of electronics. The locks have been changed and the police know the situation, so i guess we all just need to stay vigilant and keep them notified if we see stuff going on.

Probate is the best neighbor you'll never have. Enjoy it while it lasts

Yep.