Coolest 24 Hour Race- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Coolest 24 Hour Race

So the pain is starting to wear off and I just wanted to let all of you NorCal riders what a great event the 24 hour race in Cool was this last weekend. It takes a ton of organizational skills to pull something like this off, and from what I saw, it went great. Granted I am a solo rider so I do not get to see everything, but everyone seemed to be smiling at the end.

The race was put on for the Auburn Community Cancer Endowment Fund and 100% of the proceeds go to Cancer research, remember that when you give your money to Granny Gear or 24HOA.

The course was a lot tougher than I would have thought, not a smooth section anywhere and way more difficult than the direction we run it at the Cool Mountain Bike Race.
    I do quite a few endurance races and I really think you should add this to your list of possible races for next year if you are into this kind of thing, good cause, good course and good people, what else could you need.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    That's awesome! I'm not quite ready for the 24 hour solo effort but maybe in a couple years.

We're doing the 24Hours this coming weekend as a 5 man team. I'll probably run Cool next year instead of 24HOA though, it's closer to home and I like where the money goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Great Event

The Coolest 24 hours race was my first exposure to a 24 hours race and since I live in Auburn and it was for such a worthy cause I couldn't pass it up. I was on a 4 person team and we all had a blast. I'm looking foward to next year. Check out the photos posted on the Prairie City website.

http://www.racemtbikes.com/

And look out for sasquatch or Chewbaca if you ride those trails at night!!

Mark

Auburn, CA
    American River Canyon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Agree 100%! Jim and all the folks involved did an awesome job. And yes the course is much much much harder and more challenging then you would expect.

It's on my must do for next year as well.

I'll provide a personal race report sometime this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not to mention the payout...oh my!

http://www.racemtbikes.com/050706Coo...s/D20_3886.htm

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Same Experience Here

I thought everything went very smoothly. The support was great, the volunteers were awesome, and all for a great cause too. I have been riding the Olmstead Loop for years, but riding it backwards made it new and tougher, IMO.

I second the nice payout comment. I raced on a four-man team in the Sport class, and despite three of us being newbies, making a few mistakes and entering the race "just for fun," we won with 27 laps. Jim handed us $500 and said the Sport class deserves just as much money. WOW. We donated $100 back to the race and walked away happy, each of us with a C-note in our pocket.

Roger, nice race. Was it 20 or 21 laps? I was fairly spent after splitting laps with three other guys. At this point I can't imagine going it solo, but I'd like to try someday.

I'll definitlely be back next year if the race lives on.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Roger....

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___

Too bad you didn't make it home with any of it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well if I would have taken any of it home, Amanda would have spent it on little girl baby clothes! By the way there are two UPS boxes on the porch with such items in them!

I'm humbled to follow in your footsteps with giving back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jim mentioned he was going to do that type of payout, I thought it was very cool (pun intended). Alas, my mind and knees said 21, but the sheet said 20. I think I screwed up when I came in to take my lights off on an odd # lap. I had been stopping in the pits every two laps even, I think I just added a lap. ;0) Either that or it was when Sean lapped me at about 8 in the morning....freaking me out just before knickerbocker making me lose count. yeah, that was it, yeah it's his fault. ;0)

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

total studs

Roger, Sean, you guys both blow my mind. Someday I have to try the solo thing, but next year, Team Short Bus will be back to defend its title!!! That was the most fun 24 hour race I have ever attended, and the cause is dear to my heart being a cancer survivor myself. Let's bring all our friends next year and double the size of this baby.

Members who have read this thread: 0