Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"- Mtbr.com
    YESBRO!!!

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"

This is really cool. I have no affiliation with the people or the project but I went in on it at the $80 level.

A better bicycle bell, made in the USA. by Spurcycle ? Kickstarter

It's really smart and well done. The video shows that these are all machined, not cheap stamped out metal bits. It is a bit like a better mousetrap. A bell is something I have on my bikes and use but have always wanted "something better" like this.

mtbr member
    Nice design. Super loud!

However, I must point out metal stamping at :24, 1:01 and 1:12.

Sorry. I am a machinist.

It would be prohibitively expensive if they didn't do any stamping, though.

Fart smeller
    I was hoping the tone would be a little deeper. Maybe it's just my laptop speakers?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Ted
    Ted in real life
    I was all in until I heard the sound. It is just too wimpy.

mtbr member
    It's a piercing, high-pitched sound. Maybe wimpy, but very audible.

You could always go air horn.

Mtn View, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Nice design. Super loud!

However, I must point out metal stamping at :24, 1:01 and 1:12.

Sorry. I am a machinist.

It would be prohibitively expensive if they didn't do any stamping, though.
    I wouldn't call that stamping. That's sheet metal forming on a press brake. Stamping would be expensive due to the tooling investment unless they sold thousands of bells.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Those things are pretty, especially the brushed nickel looking one. I'm surprised Rapha's not already selling these for $200.

YESBRO!!!
    Rapha's version would indeed be $200.

Also, it would be made in China, not the US.

mtbr member
    Very awesome! In!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    I wouldn't call that stamping. That's sheet metal forming on a press brake. Stamping would be expensive due to the tooling investment unless they sold thousands of bells.
    :24 is a type of stamping known as deep drawing, although not all that deep. It looks like the tooling is already made, all that would be needed to ramp up would be a faster press and a quicker ejection mechanism. Here's a pretty cool example of a an automated deep draw stamping machine that even does the trimming work: Deep Draw Metal Stamping Process - Trans-Matic - YouTube The CNC pressbrake (1:01-1:15) and laser work that was shown was done where I work: Precision Manufacturing | Medical Component Manfacturing | Peridot Not sure where the bell stamping, finishing and manual lathework was done.

If you look closely shown @ :34 the material is shown as Silver Alloy in the title block. A different material could probably used to achieve a less bright tone. I wonder what these will be retailing at.
    Last edited by monkei; 08-08-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: timez
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

mtbr member
    Mine just arrived and they are very well done. The tone is perfect-- not harsh, very loud, just perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    Mine just arrived and they are very well done. The tone is perfect-- not harsh, very loud, just perfect.

Is that a super six your riding?The looks and sounds good.How much $ for the bell?

mtbr member
    I like it. Sounds good imo, made in US, looks awesome.

And as someone whos been working in manufacturing for a decade, I like the metal-nerd talk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    At first glance, I thought that light was one of the lasers from Wicked Lasers | Blue, Red, Green Laser Pointers

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pre-order details here --

Spurcycle Shop

$35.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post

I like the compact design, and the construction.
    Sound is good--as long as they is no moisture on the dome. Is so, the sound is dull and muted.
    Generally could be louder. As is, about the same as my Incredibell.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I like the compact design, and the construction.
    Sound is good--as long as they is no moisture on the dome. Is so, the sound is dull and muted.
    Generally could be louder. As is, about the same as my Incredibell.
    Really? I find my insanely loud. It hurts my ears when I let it go full throttle. I haven't tried it in the rain yet, but Im not surprised it's muted.

Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    At first glance, I thought that light was one of the lasers from Wicked Lasers | Blue, Red, Green Laser Pointers
    Hahaha, well, I mean I wouldn't mind a light sabre on the front of my bike. My inner child kind of wants one of those now...

Quote Originally Posted by bruce219 View Post
    Is that a super six your riding?The looks and sounds good.How much $ for the bell?
    Good eye, it is a supersix. LOVE it.

mtbr member
    It seems like the two innovations are rotating the lever for the clapper 90 degrees and making the parts out of steel instead of plastic.

Similar size bell that sells for $1 or 2 on eBay.
    2014COOL Good Metal Ring Handlebar Bell Sound for Bike Bicycle Efus J33 L | eBay

With some wire, pliers, a drill, and glue; I can modify an eBay bell to work mounted in the same position.

Air Pirate
    I saw this thing when it first hit Kickstarter. Slightly impressed by the aesthetic design, but am completely unimpressed by the functional design. It really does not introduce anything new. I also do not see a single thing that justifies the price of $35 for a bell that functionally supplies no more end result than an Incredibell at less than half the cost or even an Ebay-shipped from Hong Kong-knock-off of an Incredibell for less than that.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Jure Slabic is the man!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is it me or just this seem like a bad bar placement idea.

So, you on this MUT with others around you. You ding your bell, but that takes a hand away from a brake. In my panic stops, I need both brakes. Plus, I needed both hands on the hoods to keep control.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork.

Giving me negative rep only encourages me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    If they modified the design with a butt plug actuator, it would ding every time your sphincter tightened.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post

So, you on this MUT with others around you. You ding your bell, but that takes a hand away from a brake. In my panic stops, I need both brakes. Plus, I needed both hands on the hoods to keep control.
    What's an MUT-- multi use trail?

If there might be a need to panic stop I'm not on the tops. There is no problem with how it's set up. You really can't balance with one hand on the top and another on the hood? If I am going to ding my bell at someone it's not when I am imminently passing in less than a second. This bell is loud enough to ding from several seconds behind them, say "on your left" and have my hands back on the hoods/drops for when passing. Besides, I would hate having my bell mount squeezing my grip wraps so this was the only other option
    Last edited by Couloirman; 03-25-2014 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got two of these; one for my road bike and one for my HT which I ride in the Headlands. I really only use it as I cross the GG Bridge or in crosswalks and on the bridge the wind seems to cut the range quite a bit. I don't think it serves much purpose for use riding singletrack.

Is there a bear-bell style option which anybody rides with for descending at places like China Camp or Skeggs to warn hikers?

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    If they modified the design with a butt plug actuator, it would ding every time your sphincter tightened.
    I know some guys that could play Tubular Bells if they had the BPA (Butt Plug Actuator).

Heather Heyer

Air Pirate
    I know this is a slightly old thread, but I stumbled upon this Chinese made ripoff of the overpriced Spurcycle bell and a new competitor from Knog and I was compelled to post.

As far as the Spurcycle ripoff, I believe it has been out on the market since mid 2015 sold by Chinese distributor RockBros. By the noise on the 'net it looks like a lot of people who were turned off by the ridiculous pricing of the Spurcycle bell have been purchasing this one. The bell is available mostly via Ebay and the Chinese online sales sites such as Aliexpress and Banggood, but it appears now it is available from Amazon (where I stumbled upon it looking for something else...page stated it is fulfilled by Amazon, not an affiliate and available after March 7th.)

So, $10 bucks from Hong Kong or $16 before tax/shipping from Amazon is still a lot easier to handle than $50 bucks from Spurcycle for a simple bell. I know there are differences in materials and workmanship between the bells, as well as USA vs Chinese made....but I could care less about those if it does the job it is intended to do well for a good price...and as I said previously in this thread, $50 for a freaking bell is just stupid. For instance, a hand painted Crane Suzu bell can even be had for $20!

Photos collected from the 'net:

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-rock1.jpg

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-rock2.jpg

I love how the copy even goes as far as the box the thing comes in:

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-compare2.jpg

Side by Side:

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-compare1.jpg

The other bell that just surfaced is the Knog Oi. Another design that is "forward thinking" as the Spurcycle bell. Knog has a Kickstarter going for this which has received a very good response...with 25 days to go (as of this posting) they have $193,736 pledged on a $14,252 goal.

This bell is a lower profile compared to just about every other bell out there, including the Spurcycle. Fits on bars from 22.2 to 31.8 (with 2 sizes) and includes a slot/space to organize cables so it does not interfere with them. If you have a space that is 15mm wide on your bars this should fit.

Final price is not set I believe, as this is still in development...but the rumor on the 'net is the thing will sell for $19 U.S. ....STILL a better deal than the Spurcycle.

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-oi.jpg

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-oi1.jpg

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-oi2.jpg

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-oi4.jpg
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Chinese knockoffs are theft, which may not bother you if it isn't stealing your idea.

As the owner of a shop that deals with local manufacturers, I know how much goes into bringing a product to reality. Lots of R&D time and money. I am working on my own version of a bicycle bell. If it is any good, it may be knocked off too. If it stinks, I will have wasted my own time.

Everybody enjoy the high cost of housing that is driven partly by Chinese investors.

Fart smeller
    From the recent bike show in Sac.

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-img_7067.jpg

$50 result.

Cool re-design of your basic bike bell. Design with a capital "D"-img_7068.jpg

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I agree that $50 bones is a lot for a relatively simple bell, but find the RockBros knock-off reprehensible.

The knog one seems pretty cool, think I'll buy one.

rho
    Life is strange
    I really like that knog bell...

mtbr member
    I understand folks justifying purchasing a cheaper and less expensive product. But it's really hard to swallow when the cheaper product is a complete ripoff of another company's hard efforts. Especially a small custom manufacturer that makes a great product.

I'll stick with supporting Spurcycle as I did at NAHBS when I purchased two of their bells.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    I think ripping off the Spurcycle bell was not the brightest idea since the selling points were high quality and being made domestically by craftsmen. Since the knockoffs don't have either of those features, their target audience is mostly lost.

mtbr member
    I bought the spurcycle bell from their kickstarter and to be honest thought 50 bones was too much to buy another.
    The chinese ripoff though pisses me off to the point that it has motivated me to buy another Spurcycle....