mtbr member

Cool New Tech Section - Lake Natoma

Last edited by dchester; 01-23-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    I'd clear that no prob!

Dropshot Champ!
    emptybeer is gunna say we should clear that before the rangers do, or they'll close all the trails!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I can see the wall ride line.
    IPA will save America

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    emptybeer is gunna say we should clear that before the rangers do, or they'll close all the trails!
    ???

mtbr member
    at least they're walking their bikes and not leaving any ruts

mtbr member
    Okay, let me put this out there: STAY AWAY FROM THOSE CLIFFS! You have to be nuts to think that more will not come down. Every time I ride past that section I pick it up a notch just because.

JFR
    mtbr member
    I stopped riding that side of the lake a few weeks ago for that exact reason. Those bluffs were guaranteed to have some crumbling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_G View Post
    Okay, let me put this out there: STAY AWAY FROM THOSE CLIFFS! You have to be nuts to think that more will not come down. Every time I ride past that section I pick it up a notch just because.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by JFR View Post
    I stopped riding that side of the lake a few weeks ago for that exact reason. Those bluffs were guaranteed to have some crumbling.
    Best to ride on top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Yep.

Best to ride on top.
    Yup :-)

JFR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Best to ride on top.
    Not on my "save the trails" roadie rain bike

Air Pirate
    I wonder how long until the anti-mtb crowd blames mountain bikers for the landslide....
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    I wonder how long until the anti-mtb crowd blames mountain bikers for the landslide....
    right - and we also cause flooding, mudslides, hurricanes, tornadoes- we are here to destroy! lol

I dig trails!
    Like stated above, that slide is a freshy and may not be finished.

Best solution is to build a lip on the edge of the slide and hit it with as much speed as you can!

P

President of the Internet
    FYI, the Sunrise foot bridge has been closed for a few weeks. The gate is easily hopped and I've done it several times. I was about to do it again when I saw a ranger sitting in the Rancho Cordova side parking lot. I waited as a roadie crossed the bridge from the Fair Oaks side and promptly got a ticket from the ranger. Stupid. So cross at your own risk.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    The Folsom Lake SRA website says back in January they had an engineer out who told them not to do anything until it was all well and truly dried out. I was looking for info today when this might be cleared. Nothing.

President of the Internet
    Ranger told me it could be a year before it's clear. They have a hard time getting heavy equipment in there.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    Ranger told me it could be a year before it's clear. They have a hard time getting heavy equipment in there.
    The Bald Eagle nest is right above the slide too. Complicating the work as they have to wait until after nesting season. I believe the two that hatched are almost flying so it should be soon that they are off on their own.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Some roadies I was talking to by the trail blockade seemed pretty confident that the clearing work won't even begin until September. I don't know where they got their info, but they seemed pretty sure. Honestly, some of those boulders look big enough in person to require blasting.

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    Biked past the nest yesterday on a Natoma loop and was wondering where it lined up compared the the slide. The little ones are real big at this point. The birds will be long gone before the get work going on that section. I kayaked up and HAB through and can see how it will be tough to get at that mess. That coupled with it not being a necessary thing to get done for commuting of something and on the back burner it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    The Bald Eagle nest is right above the slide too. Complicating the work as they have to wait until after nesting season. I believe the two that hatched are almost flying so it should be soon that they are off on their own.

mtbr member
    Went through there last night, glanced up at the cliff wall as I was stumbling across the biggest rocks, damn, it looks dangerous....

Cool New Tech Section - Lake Natoma-img_1522.jpg

Cool New Tech Section - Lake Natoma-img_1514.jpg

Cool New Tech Section - Lake Natoma-img_1511.jpg

Cool New Tech Section - Lake Natoma-img_1509.jpg

mtbr member
    News today: they're not getting a round tuit until 2018

The ARBT will remain blocked right there at least until next spring, per the latest news. Take the south side of the lake if passing through. There's an obvious trail but it's just as obvious it's not legit

American River Parkway bike trail still closed for landslide danger | The Sacramento Bee

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any current info? The last official update was in April 2018, SP let a contract to examine the slope and propose fixes, and then they were supposed to do an environmental impact statement. All that was supposed to be wrapping up with clearing and repair work to start right around now.

mtbr member
    nothing to my knowledge, i'm typically up top on the bluff and haven't even thought about it til now.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Does anyone have any current info? The last official update was in April 2018, SP let a contract to examine the slope and propose fixes, and then they were supposed to do an environmental impact statement. All that was supposed to be wrapping up with clearing and repair work to start right around now.
    I rode/hiked through on my road bike last week and there has been no change on the ground and there's no indication that any work is imminent.

mtbr member
    From the state park website. Seems like if the eagles are there October to July, they can only work on it in August and September. That's a short migration!

I predict ARBT permanently re-routed to the south side and through old Folsom.

American River Bike Trail Partial Closure Update Ė October 2018

California State Parks understands the publicís concern regarding the timeline of the repairs at Lake Natoma and assure you we are doing everything we can to expedite this process. Unfortunately, there have been a couple of delays.

In 2017, State Parks sought to contract with another state agency to utilize their expertise with rock fall mitigation work. Unfortunately, they were be unable to dedicate the resources necessary to provide these services. In spring 2018, we contracted with a geotechnical firm to provide the necessary assessment and rock fall mitigation report needed to move forward with the CEQA process. However, in October 2017 two bald eagles returned and began their nesting process near the impacted area (first nest occurred in 2016). As bald eagles are a federally protected species, the geotechnical firm was unable to complete its assessment until the eagles vacated the area, which occurred in late July 2018.

In August 2018, the geotechnical firm submitted its draft report to State Parks for review and comment. We expect to receive the firmís final report this fall.

Upon receipt of the final report, State Parks will promptly begin the CEQA process. The area also holds significance to a local Native American tribe, which requires additional tribal consultations. State Parks anticipates CEQA will take three to four months to complete. Once CEQA is completed, we will be able to provide additional details regarding the extent of needed repairs, and also provide a more accurate timeline for project completion and trail accessibility. The Bureau of Reclamation will be responsible for completing NEPA (National Environmental Policy Act).

Please note: as the eagles have returned to nest this year, there could be additional project delays as repair work that could impact the eagles cannot be conducted while they are present. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to restore this trail for everyoneís enjoyment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Holy cow,. That memo is everything wrong with the world summed up.

A simple dozer push through and it would be back to usable and probably as safe as it ever was to begin with.

mtb'er
    From the state park website. Seems like if the eagles are there October to July, they can only work on it in August and September. That's a short migration!

I predict ARBT permanently re-routed to the south side and through old Folsom.
    Multiply all timelines by at least 7. I predict it will be open in 2021.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    I donít mind the idea of protecting the eagles but I lived on those bluffs until this year and I know they must be the most pestered eagles in the USA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Someone should make a strava segment for the go around

Call it "Poached Bald Eagle"

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post

A simple dozer push through and it would be back to usable and probably as safe as it ever was to begin with.
    No...not everything wrong with the world but everything wrong with the State of California government. I have heard rumors that the requirements and rules that exist in this state just to push a bunch of dirt and rocks around do not exist in other states.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Geez a bunch of negative nancys in here. That memo sounds like they've made a lot of progress too me. Geotech work is done. CEQA process started, which means they have a design in progress and a project description. Rumors about your libertarian paradise where you can push dirt and rocks into a public lake don't mean squat.

mtbr member
    ...annddd here we go with turning this political, well done BS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    ...annddd here we go with turning this political, well done BS.
    Or not.

You're not supposed to push dirt into navigable waterways in other states either. If you do so publicly, you'll receive a nasty letter from the Army Corps of Engineers. Same with making sure Federally-listed species are protected, but that letter would come from the United States Fish & Wildlife Service. (Note: Bald eagles were removed from the Federal list in 2007, but could just as easily be another listed bird and the point still stands.)

Bulldozing it off to the side without stabilizing the bank probably not too smart either. Tort liability exists in every state in the Union, last I checked.

mtb'er
    Problem solved. Floating boardwalk.

Cool New Tech Section - Lake Natoma-hbt-header.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Or not.

You're not supposed to push dirt into navigable waterways in other states either. If you do so publicly, you'll receive a nasty letter from the Army Corps of Engineers. Same with making sure Federally-listed species are protected, but that letter would come from the United States Fish & Wildlife Service. (Note: Bald eagles were removed from the Federal list in 2007, but could just as easily be another listed bird and the point still stands.)

Bulldozing it off to the side without stabilizing the bank probably not too smart either. Tort liability exists in every state in the Union, last I checked.
    you act like people here with comments are actually serious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Problem solved. Floating boardwalk.
    I don't think it would work. Did you see the pile of driftwood they pulled out of Nimbus dam the winter before last? I didn't go up by Folsom dam that year but can only imagine what it was like there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    you act like people here with comments are actually serious.
    I guess my sarc meter is skewed after reading a lot of seriously inane stuff around here over the years. Back to lurking.

mtbr member
    I don't think it would work. Did you see the pile of driftwood they pulled out of Nimbus dam the winter before last? I didn't go up by Folsom dam that year but can only imagine what it was like there.
    Hovering ebikes.

mtb'er
    Yeah... not a problem at all, as Lake Natoma is a controlled lake. (And no, CA State Parks would never think of doing such a work-around solution).
    Last edited by Empty_Beer; 1 Week Ago at 03:11 PM.

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Actually I like the idea of a boardwalk. Probably not floating, but the lake is pretty shallow so it would relatively easy to anchor. Moves it out from the base of the slope too where the real problems start once you remove those rocks.

Also I found the two responsible for this whole mess this morning on my ride to work!

Cool New Tech Section - Lake Natoma-20181101_081525.jpg

Cool New Tech Section - Lake Natoma-20181101_081533.jpg
    Last edited by BStrummin; 1 Week Ago at 02:36 PM.

mtb'er
    ^ nice capture!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Yeah... not a problem at all, as Lake Natoma is a controlled lake. (An no, CA State Parks would never think of doing such a work-around solution).
    Well, what I meant was that the floating bridge would wind up on the next driftwood pile.

A coworker of mine who commuted from the center of Folsom would wreck about once a year on the wooden bridges. He's now braving the total lack of cycling infrastructure in Huntsville so he's probably worse off