fc
    head minion Administrator

Connect Calero, Santa Teresa, De Oro, Almaden Trail networks

There are four+ trail networks adjacent to each other and they are starting to get connected.

There's some crazy big ride possibilities there. What do you know about it? What have you ridden and what's coming?

Connect Calero, Santa Teresa, De Oro, Almaden Trail networks-screen-shot-2018-12-16-7.45.23-pm.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What's coming? More fire roads, hiking trails and seasonal closures

mtbr member
    Maybe if I had an XC bike. Or cross bike. Or an eBike. But all those places are kinda meh on a long travel ďenduroĒ bike.

If Iím going to do a long ride on dirt Iíll just load my bike in my truck and head somewhere more enjoyable, even though that is my backyard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've connected Calero and Canada de Oro. Definitely an XC ride and Calero can easily be done with a gravel bike. Santa Teresa I think most people would prefer a bit more travel for Rocky Ridge and Stiles. That said I think it would be fun to connect Santa Teresa and Calero.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can link alot of good stuff together now. It is for sure smooth xc riding but awesome if you're into it. Lots of hills over there.
    I did a big one last summer. Cut through Santa Teresa, took Mckean south to Casa Loma and RCDO where the dirt started, through Rancho to Calero, short road spin (.5miles?) to Quicksilver, to Sierra Azul, to Woods, to Powerpoles, to Lexington where I hit pavement again. Then A looong, hot road spin home. Mile 14 to around 42 was almost all dirt. Think I saw 100+ degrees on Woods that day. I may try it again in the spring. There are some other South Bay local guys think link some big stuff together, including the haul up to the Cube. Lots of fun options and miles for the XC minded folk.
    FC- hope you had fun out ST yesterday with your moped. It looks like you found those rocks I was talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Connect Calero, Santa Teresa, De Oro, Almaden Trail networks-strava.jpg  

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by MoHillBri View Post
    FC- hope you had fun out ST yesterday with your moped. It looks like you found those rocks I was talking about.

Thanks for the intel buddy!! That place is XC Bike and Gravel bike heaven. Except for Santa Teresa as Rocky Ridge and Stiles are just legit!!

Ebike is a great option there since there's big suspension and some of the grades are steeper than steep. Legal too!!!

RC Crawler is coming out here!!Connect Calero, Santa Teresa, De Oro, Almaden Trail networks-img_1212.jpg

Connect Calero, Santa Teresa, De Oro, Almaden Trail networks-img_1213.jpg

Connect Calero, Santa Teresa, De Oro, Almaden Trail networks-img_1216.jpg

Connect Calero, Santa Teresa, De Oro, Almaden Trail networks-img_1218.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I live on the Blossom Valley side of Santa Teresa. I've ridden over ST and road/Fortini over to the new Calero section. Over Calero to Almaden Road to QuickSilver. Through QS up to Woods and to Barlow and up Mt Umhunum. That was a good long ride.

And I've gone over ST to Calero and up Cottle Trail to Bald Peaks and back. Another good ride.

Next is to extend the second one a bit by going past Bald Peaks and into Ranch Canada Del Oro and back.

loopy counter
    Only time I've been to Calero the ratio was about half e-bikes. Couples and older folks. Good for them. I climbed up Cottle Trail to Chisnantuk and was wishing for an e-bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I live near Santa Teresa park, Blossom side. I am glad that last spring the Calero trails became open to bikes.
    Since then I have probably done the following ride at least 3-4 times: up to Santa Teresa park, down to Almaden side, connect to Calero, climb up to Rancho Canada, big loop inside Rancho Canada and back. Total of about 40 miles and over 4,000 feet of climbing. Other times I go to Quicksilver and Umunhum instead. Calero is the connecting point. Awesome.
    But I am an XC racer and enjoy long rides. If you like enduro or DH these trails are probably not for you

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Speaking of connectivity, there was a recent land purchase by Peninsula Open Space Trust that creates a publicly owned corridor between Canada del Oro and Sierra Azul.

https://openspacetrust.org/post-news/punch-bowl/

I'm sure this is far down the line, but the news release talks about future trails to connect the open spaces. Could be very cool for those of us who like long journeys.

fc
    What about Rancho San Vicente? That's adjacent too?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Rancho San Vicente = Calero County Park

I've ridden there a bunch, and am not entirely sure what the difference between the two is. Perhaps Rancho San Vicente is the name of the trailhead at McKean Rd. or something like that. Either way, my first ride at RSV/Calero was on my road bike with 28mm tires and I didnt have much difficulty riding it at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    There is another park called Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve. Itís small and located just south of the crossing between Bailey and Santa Teresa. I hope one day it can get connected to Calero

fc
    So there is a trail connector from Calero to Quicksilver in the works? Anybody know when that will be opened?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    So there is a trail connector from Calero to Quicksilver in the works? Anybody know when that will be opened?
    There really isn't a direct one possible. Too much private property. To go from Calero (new Rancho San Vincente part) to QS, you have to leave the new Calero trail head and jump on to Almaden Rd and ride in either direction to pick up one of the QS trailheads that are on the other side of Almaden Road.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregd72 View Post
    There really isn't a direct one possible. Too much private property. To go from Calero (new Rancho San Vincente part) to QS, you have to leave the new Calero trail head and jump on to Almaden Rd and ride in either direction to pick up one of the QS trailheads that are on the other side of Almaden Road.
    How far on the road?

I hear there is a trail in the works, or already done just waiting to be opened.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    How far on the road?

I hear there is a trail in the works, or already done just waiting to be opened.
    1/2 mile at the most. Shorter than the stretch of Fortini you have to ride to get from Santa Teresa to Rancho San Vincente/Calero.

fc
    1/2 mile at the most. Shorter than the stretch of Fortini you have to ride to get from Santa Teresa to Rancho San Vincente/Calero.
    Well schit, that's a stone's throw away! Gracie!

And then Quicksilver... to Umunhum.. to Dogmeat!
    fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Well schit, that's a stone's throw away! Gracie!

And then Quicksilver... to Umunhum.. to Dogmeat!
    fc
    To John Nicholas to Saratoga Gap to Skeggs

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    To John Nicholas to Saratoga Gap to Skeggs
    Good thing I have a trailer to carry all my extra batteries.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Good thing I have a trailer to carry all my extra batteries.
    Francis - let me know if you have a Small sized eBike you want to offload. Finally convinced the boss she wants one

Quite a few good sales going on right now, but we're open to getting something used. These south bay trails are good training grounds for newbies.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Francis - let me know if you have a Small sized eBike you want to offload. Finally convinced the boss she wants one

Quite a few good sales going on right now, but we're open to getting something used. These south bay trails are good training grounds for newbies.
    All I have are mediums... and I have to return them.

Really, the best for the price is a 2019 Specialized Levo for $4900. Just make sure it's a size that fits you as well.
    IPA will save America

Slowest Rider
    I feel fortunate to live right in the middle of all those parks, near where Almaden Rd ends at Harry. I was very active in helping get Calero / Rancho San Vicente to open up to bikes, even though it took a few years. It has been a tremendous link between all the other parks mentioned: Santa Teresa, Rancho Canada del Oro, Quicksilver, and Sierra Azul beyond that. I've indeed ridden many linked combinations of those parks.

And the Calero trail plan is only about half done. There's going to be some nice loops through RCDO and back, with some single track designed specifically for bikes up above the historic equestrian areas. And a trail around the lake should be flat and scenic - perfect for families. It also completes the full loop through RCDO.

I can pick the trails depending on what I want that day. It can be the rattle of Santa Teresa Rocky Ridge and Stiles. Or the steady steep climb of Santa Teresa. Or the steeper climb of RCDO. Or a gentle scenic trail ride in Ranch San Vicente / Calero. Or I can go long through Quicksilver up to Mt. Umunhum, continuing on Woods all the way to Kennedy and back. Very many options with all these parks. :-)
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    I feel fortunate to live right in the middle of all those parks, near where Almaden Rd ends at Harry. I was very active in helping get Calero / Rancho San Vicente to open up to bikes, even though it took a few years. It has been a tremendous link between all the other parks mentioned: Santa Teresa, Rancho Canada del Oro, Quicksilver, and Sierra Azul beyond that. I've indeed ridden many linked combinations of those parks.

And the Calero trail plan is only about half done. There's going to be some nice loops through RCDO and back, with some single track designed specifically for bikes up above the historic equestrian areas. And a trail around the lake should be flat and scenic - perfect for families. It also completes the full loop through RCDO.

I can pick the trails depending on what I want that day. It can be the rattle of Santa Teresa Rocky Ridge and Stiles. Or the steady steep climb of Santa Teresa. Or the steeper climb of RCDO. Or a gentle scenic trail ride in Ranch San Vicente / Calero. Or I can go long through Quicksilver up to Mt. Umunhum, continuing on Woods all the way to Kennedy and back. Very many options with all these parks. :-)
    Welcome back, BigLarry

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    All I have are mediums... and I have to return them.

Really, the best for the price is a 2019 Specialized Levo for $4900. Just make sure it's a size that fits you as well.
    I think for Levo I can fit a Medium, but wife definitely needs Small - but I can fit Small OK as well. She demoed the 2018 Levo small, liked it, but the standover was still a bit high for her - reach is OK. That still might be an issue with the 2019. No stock though right now for the 2019 Levo, but not in a rush.

Just tempted by sales on 2018 models right now. The Focus Jam2 and the Commencal Meta Power are the other 2 under consideration.

fc
    trilogy in metersConnect Calero, Santa Teresa, De Oro, Almaden Trail networks-screen-shot-2018-12-18-10.16.07-pm.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRocco View Post
    There is another park called Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve. Itís small and located just south of the crossing between Bailey and Santa Teresa. I hope one day it can get connected to Calero
    I've ridden Coyote Valley OSP a few times. It's a small park - with just a single 4-mile loop (best ridden in the clockwise direction, FYI), but with enough climbing to make it a good workout. It's a perfect "I need to ride but don't have much time" ride.

fc
    Btw, aside from a couple trails in Santa Teresa, these trails are very mellow. And steep. Itís the connections that make it interesting
    IPA will save America

trekker
    Jul 2005
    I work next to Santa Teresa park and ride those trails a bunch. I just did this ride, which connects to Calero. It's gorgeous on Calero! Definitely easier trails, though. Rocky Ridge/Stiles are more mountain biking-type terrain.

Connect Calero, Santa Teresa, De Oro, Almaden Trail networks-mtb.jpg

Edit: For scale, this was a 17.5mi ride.

mtbr member
    I did this ride yesterday. Extending into Rancho Canada Del Oro. I've got to admit that coming back up Catamount with 20 miles already in the legs was rough. Very steep.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2039105499

I took the "easy" ways over/back Santa Teresa. Knowing it would be a long ride. The wind on Bald Peaks was ripping yesterday afternoon.

fc
    I did this ride yesterday. Extending into Rancho Canada Del Oro. I've got to admit that coming back up Catamount with 20 miles already in the legs was rough. Very steep.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2039105499

I took the "easy" ways over/back Santa Teresa. Knowing it would be a long ride. The wind on Bald Peaks was ripping yesterday afternoon.
    So wait, you didn't use an e-bike?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    So wait, you didn't use an e-bike?
    No.... not yet. My 57 year old legs still get me around OK. Not that I have anything against E-bikes. Just haven't felt the need for one yet. I HAVE thought about getting one for my GF as that would probably put us on more equal footing.