Companion thread to 'Power Shutoff' - generator talk- Mtbr.com
    gimme friction

Companion thread to 'Power Shutoff' - generator talk

Still have power (for the moment) up in Rocklin, but could change at any time. Kinda thinking there is gonna be a lot more of this, may need to buy a generator. What do I need to keep the beer cold?
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Trail Gnome
    Good beer doesnít need to be cold

Moderator Moderator
    Might be a good time to think about going solar. A friend of mine in Palo Alto is 100% off grid for all utilities except water and sewer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Might be a good time to think about going solar. A friend of mine in Palo Alto is 100% off grid for all utilities except water and sewer.
    My solar unfortunately is currently grid-tied, so PG&E is my battery. If the Tesla (or similar) powerwall batteries come down in price, I think we will go for it. We celebrated the break even day for our panels about 2 years ago.

tinyurl.com/wgsolar

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Go slightly bigger than you need. You may only NEED a 2000 watt generator to run your refrigerator and router, but go 2500-3000 so that it doesn't have to work as hard (think noisy), to keep up. A generator running at 1000 RPMs is WAY quieter than the same generator running at 2000 RPMs.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    The Honda EU2000i generator I bought close to 20 years ago (to power tire-warmers for racing motorcycles), which sat unused in the garage for about ten years, fired up immediately yesterday when I put some fresh gas in it. Still super quiet too.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Good beer doesnít need to be cold
    But cold beer doesn't need to be good!!!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    But cold beer doesn't need to be good!!!
    Drink it before it warms.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    My solar unfortunately is currently grid-tied, so PG&E is my battery. If the Tesla (or similar) powerwall batteries come down in price, I think we will go for it. We celebrated the break even day for our panels about 2 years ago.

tinyurl.com/wgsolar
    I don't have one of these, but it may be worth looking into...
    https://www.smainverted.com/how-to-e...to-homeowners/

I just ordered a 2000w Wen off Amazon. Honda/Yamaha clone. For $450 seems like it'll be good for double-duty running the fridge in an outage and then can use it in the tent trailer or for fundraisers or whatever.

I'm kicking myself for not buying Generac stock awhile ago. Costco has a 20kw Generac standby generator for $4300 right now. Can get it plumbed to your natural gas line. With the appropriate wiring, it'll automatically transfer your home over to backup power when an outage hits.

I'm going to wait to see how this all shakes out before investing that kind of money though. Thankfully no health issues in the family that require real reliable power for anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    The Honda EU2000i generator I bought close to 20 years ago (to power tire-warmers for racing motorcycles), which sat unused in the garage for about ten years, fired up immediately yesterday when I put some fresh gas in it. Still super quiet too.
    I think ours is that old too. It came with our house 10 years ago, and I think the previous owner got it 10 years before that. I haven't gotten around to doing an oil change yet. It still works great, despite our malignant neglect. (Now that I have jinxed it, I will have to change the oil.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    im in Auburn and power is off. bought a 1000w 12v inverter for my truck, and it powers fridge, aquarium 210g, tv, satellite, and 2 laptops. 170 bucks

Sweater
    Iím trying to figure out how to connect the Prius to the house.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member

I picked up the Harbor Freight Predator 4000w (26 amp) model for right at $200 during Black Friday with some stacked coupons. First real use and it power the fridge, lights, 70Ē TV and Blue Ray player. Been chillin all day
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Roughster, How loud is that Predator?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Roughster, How loud is that Predator?
    It's got some noise to it for sure. I had it placed about 10 feet from the nearest window in the living room in the backyard, and with the door closed, it (the hum) was noticeable, but not overpowering. The Honda's are A LOT quieter, but, the same W/AMP Honda is priced at $4,500... I'll take a little more noise and save $4,300 any day!

I am going to buy some quality thick gauge extension cords and probably semi-permanently route them from a pad I have that is further back in the yard to help with the sound for next time.

I am of the persuasion that these new "black outs" will be the new norm until something is done about PG&E. I am glad the outage caused me to finally get serious about having a real power plan and had the chance to "dry run it" outside of a real / lengthy outage.

If people reading this haven't thought about how they would handle a longer outage, I would say do it. I have much greater peace of mind knowing that I can have some reasonable power options in these types of scenarios.

On another note, if you haven't bought 1 or 2 small solar panel to USB chargers you really should. My daughter and I use these for backpacking, but they were awesome to keep small devices like cell phones / battery packs charged and top-offed:

We used two, hung in the windows that face south as stations to charge up the phones etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    im in Auburn and power is off. bought a 1000w 12v inverter for my truck, and it powers fridge, aquarium 210g, tv, satellite, and 2 laptops. 170 bucks
    I have a similar setup, 1000W sine wave inverter off my solar panels and battery bank. It can power critical equipment, right now running the freezer, tankless water heater, lots of LED lighting in the house, solar home heating system plus battery chargers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For what it's worth, if you're invested in an 18-20v cordless powertool set, all the major brands have USB adapters that slip onto their batteries. I'm on Makita and finally got around to picking their USB setup at Home Depot the other day. $20.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So the 12v inverter plugs into the truck battery and then the truck idles and stuff can be plugged into it, right? How much can one run? Could a Subaru handle this too?

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    For what it's worth, if you're invested in an 18-20v cordless powertool set, all the major brands have USB adapters that slip onto their batteries. I'm on Makita and finally got around to picking their USB setup at Home Depot the other day. $20.
    I got one from Harbor Freight and it charges the phone several times before you need to recharge it. Recharging takes a while, tho.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-...ank-64488.html
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    So the 12v inverter plugs into the truck battery and then the truck idles and stuff can be plugged into it, right? How much can one run? Could a Subaru handle this too?
    Or a Smart car?

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Or a Smart car?

Or the best of both worlds!

Companion thread to 'Power Shutoff' - generator talk-eea778f1266a0ce2b3e72a8415a8b934.png

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Multiply the numbers they're talking about here by 12 to get and then buy appropriately-sized inverter. Compare stuff you want to run to inverter capacity. Volts x Amps = Watts
    https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...perage.323281/

I vaguely thought about plugging my fridge into the 400w built-in inverter in my 4Runner, but decided against it. Particularly because spouse needed to drive the vehicle yesterday.

Hella Olde
    Not many new posts today ~ power-related?

Moderator Moderator
    Not many new posts today ~ power-related?
    Well they have been talking about turning off my elec

Hella Olde
    I assume FC provided gennys to mods.

Moderator Moderator
    tricity....ok back up now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks LightRanger. No power outage for us this time even though we live in firetrap canyon ... makes you wonder a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i am without power.

a good friend loaned me a Honda EU2000 he bought used from a friend. i brought it home, dumped the oil. (1 out of 10 on the scale of easy to difficult). then dumped the fuel after he told me hasnt run in 6 years.

i started up ROUGH! like it wanted to walk across my garage floor. as soon as the fresh 91 octane hit the engine veins, it smoothed out.

i am currently running my fridge with it, plus my on-demand water heater. my 91 year old next door-lady cried when she thought about her freezer full of stuff spoiling. i ran a 100-foot cord over to her house, said a prayer and plugged in her freezer. the 2000 hesitated a quick micro-second and then resumed the quiet idle. freezers and fridges dont ask a whole lot when they are chilling. there's a quick peak demand and then..nothing.

then she really started crying and she kissed me. made me miss my grandma. i got her back.

i'll probably buy a honda EU3000 when i get a chance. this issue isnt going away.

there is a guy nearby running the loud type. super cool since it drowns out my unit. hahah.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Moderator Moderator
    Has anyone wired an interlock and plug to their electrical panel for a generator?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    ...My 91 year old next door-lady cried when she thought about her freezer full of stuff spoiling. i ran a 100-foot cord over to her house, said a prayer and plugged in her freezer.
    As it should be... I mean, neighbors, right? I threw an extension cord over my fence to my neighbor last night and told him to plug in his fridge, router and phone chargers.

It's odd. I haven't lost power at all, but my neighbors over the back fence (like 20 feet away) lost theirs.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Has anyone wired an interlock and plug to their electrical panel for a generator?
    You need a transfer switch. Not hard to do, but you need an electrician and permits. The last thing PG&E needs is unexpected sources of power feeding backwards through the lines.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    You need a transfer switch. Not hard to do, but you need an electrician and permits. The last thing PG&E needs is unexpected sources of power feeding backwards through the lines.
    Yeah, I was thinking to have my electrician wire one up with permits etc. Back feeding can be very dangerous.

Caca pasa
    See the posts by Gennybien.

Trail Gnome
    No, you need a transfer switch...that way only one power supply can be used. Iíve been an electrician for 22 years.

Trail Gnome
    Who is fc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Figured out that my inverter is the Solaredge SE3800 that is just a bit too old to be the one where you can switch to run off panels only up to 1500 watts during an outage during the day. Bummer.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    See the posts by Gennybien.
    Those were very interesting discussions about Chinese rims.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    No, you need a transfer switch...that way only one power supply can be used. Iíve been an electrician for 22 years.
    An electrician can make a lot of money in Palo Alto and surrounding, doing residential work. Hard to find at the moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Multiply the numbers they're talking about here by 12 to get and then buy appropriately-sized inverter. Compare stuff you want to run to inverter capacity. Volts x Amps = Watts
    https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...perage.323281/

I vaguely thought about plugging my fridge into the 400w built-in inverter in my 4Runner, but decided against it. Particularly because spouse needed to drive the vehicle yesterday.
    That's not enough inverter capacity to handle an AC powered fridge or freezer. My 1000W inverter will just barely handle the startup surge on my freezer, which peaks at 200 amps DC and ~2KW on AC. I added a super capacitor bank on the front end of the inverter and now it handles that without much trouble at all. I have a 700W inverter in my 4Runner and it won't even start a tiny 120V air compressor. What I have for backup refrigeration in an ARB fridge, 40L, runs off 12/24VDC and pulls an amp or two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Indeed. That's one reason I didn't do it. I figured that would be the result.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

middle ring single track
    The wind is picking up strong and I'm on the fringe of where power may be cut. Went out and made sure my generators were in order. Having been in construction/metal fabrication most of my life (retired now thank you very much) I've always had several to chose from. Albeit some are engine-driven welders which work great for standby but tend to be noisier.

Mostly why I'm writing this is about fuel choices; diesel gensets are great but too smelly for suburban use. Gasoline is very handy but fuels with ethanol go stale very quickly and will screw up carburetors if left wet. If you're considering a larger size unit think about going dual-fuel (gas and LPG); propane won't go bad like gas will. (Neither will diesel) Slightly less output when on LP but quieter and the fumes aren't as toxic either. Big bonus if you're rural; you'll likely have a couple-hundred gallon tank already.

A few years ago I picked up a dual-fuel Champion 7000W from Costco for a very reasonable price. 6300W when on propane. Only problem I've had with it was I once left gas standing too long in the carb so it needed a thorough cleaning.

Also have one of those Honda-clone Wen 2000W inverter generators (really cheap from Woot! a couple of years ago) I got for camping use; it's been fine except for the choke linkage coming off once.
    Last edited by Moe Ped; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:40 PM. Reason: Wrong Wen model.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    That's not enough inverter capacity to handle an AC powered fridge or freezer. My 1000W inverter will just barely handle the startup surge on my freezer, .
    depends on the fridge, mine is small and only draws about 300w running, surge does cause issues and will pop the inverter breaker every 4 hours. sometimes 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    so I bought a 1350w wen and it powers fridge. 210 g aquarium, a 60 and 48 tv and dish sat rec. plus laptops and wifi/ Here is the kicker and why you go semi small, it only burns 4g of gas in a 24 period/ large generators burn 10 and 40 bucks a day is too much

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Honda 2000 Watt Generator Safety Recall

I know the Honda i2000 is a very popular unit, but there is/was a recall for them a couple months back. If you have only recently bought one, you're probably fine, but check your googler for details.

Some owners may not have known about it, so...

https://www.consumerreports.org/reca...er-generators/