It was cold, wet, muddy, windy,, did I mention cold?- Mtbr.com
    zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

It was cold, wet, muddy, windy,, did I mention cold?

The TBF Mtn Bike Challange 2 was held today and it was a race to remember. It was so cold and wet I questioned my sanity several times for subjecting myself to the punishment. Sure was in sharp contrast to race 1 which was more like a springtime sprint.
    At any rate, midway through the second lap my rear brakes finally gave up the ghost, pads ground down to metal, and it made for interesting riding for the remainder of the race. And just because it didn't seem cold and wet enough, I decided to endo and face plant into a foot and a half deep puddle the size of a backyard swimming pool. That sucked. Pretty entertaining for the spectators though as their roars of laughter could be heard for miles.
    All and all though it was a great race. Loads of fun and punishment combined,, all the reason we do this anyway right? Snagged another 2nd place spot on the podium, first looser as I like to call it. Same guy beat me this time that relegated me to 2nd on race 1. Memo to self,, start training with this guy.
    Well looking forward to race 3 and I still have a chance for the overall win,, if Rick pulls a no show, brakes a chain, somehow finishes 3rd, flats, feels sorry for me and lets me win. O never mind,, I'll get him sooner or later.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ....got stuck doing snow removal in Tahoe, plus 50 was closed for 2 hours so I didn't make this one. What was the turn out like? comared to #1? Hope to make #3.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by rocdog
    ......What was the turn out like? comared to #1? Hope to make #3.
    Pretty big turnout. Not as many as race 1 but close. I say 200.
    Last edited by zon; 02-27-2007 at 09:11 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

dcubed
    I was with ya brother (just much slower) in a good groove first lap, heart rate stable, near the front of my wave. then, as I come out of the big swimming pool on the back side...HISSSssssssss flat tire, front. It wasnt near as bad as the motivation monster. He kept telling me to screw it, quit, as he pointed out everyone I was in front of pass me by. I seriously thought about it after I put a new tube in and pedaled arounnf the start line.
    But hey, I paid 40 bucks, drove 2 hours, so I just cruised. I finally shook the bad motivation monster when I discovered something.. the real good downhill switchbacks on the first part of the loop. braking... I am not slowing.. my lever was limp as a noodle. front brake to try to keep on course... NOPE, over I went, slideing down the bank. My back brake was not even close to being there. I fell a few more times, slick rocks etc.. fighting against brake pistons stuck in the out position creating drag. But I managed to pass some people on the second lap and hung in there.

Pics...

"Tut Tut, it looks line Rain" (Christopher Robin)

And some mud pools....

My car interior is much worse. good thing the wife didnt let me take the good one.

Thank the gods for photoshop, so I could blur out the intense wet sandy bike short wedgie. This is a family forum.

Last edited by desmo13; 02-25-2007 at 05:25 PM.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    Pics...

"Tut Tut, it looks line Rain" (Christopher Robin)

And some mud pools....

My car interior is much worse. good thing the wife didnt let me take the good one.

Nice pics. Thanks for the memories,, I think.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member

FUN FUN FUN.............not really.....well.....yeah it was

Well another podium in my vacant ss class. I am not sure why there are not more guys in my class. Well, my race was a toughy. At the top of the first climb i felt really tired, and wasnt really sure why. I pulled off for a second to see if the grinding from the rear wheel had anything to do with it and realized that my rear brake had somehow became permanantly locked. I tried to spin the rear wheel only to find out that it would turn about 2 inches. I tried to spin the wheel a coulple more times and tried spraying some clean water on it to see if i could clear any debris out of there, well no go. I decided to push on and was pedalling to go down hill, i knew that if i kept going i would eventually wear out the pads. This led to 3 and a half very painful laps. I did catch the fast group of the SSers only to be dropped after a struggle. I powered the best i could and went down the hills with only a front brake. I ended up working really hard for the slow speeds i was acheiving. I did end up winning my class but finished well behind the guys i can usually keep up with or beat.

mtbr member

Good job!

Here's my race report:

Man, the weather was ugly! Signed up for the Novice race and waited for the call. There were some cute girls, but it was pouring and all you other racers took the spots under the awnings. So, I kept my ass under the oddly shaped Red Bull tent. Wave after wave started, first with the experts. I was glad they did it that way, because at CCCX, they put my group in the very first wave. Anyways, I thought there would be a novice junior group (I assumed that's what I signed up for), but instead they did a huge novice group and a seperate group for juniors/first timers.

I was confused, but by the time the novice group was gone, it was just the ladies wave, and then the juniors/first timers. Although this was my second race, I felt lame. My class was full of 14 year olds, ect... They still could pedal though. I got to the front, and kept it until the ST. I didn't see anyone so, I just kept going faster. I eventually started passing the ladies on the climbs, and then eventually some men. It felt good. Last race was CCCX, and I had 2 mechanicals, 1 crash, and incredibly painful cramping. So, it went on and on. I got behind one lady who just wouldn't move, and was slowing me down on the downhills. I was thinkin, "Listen lady, I've got more than five inches of travel here. Let me use it!" And eventually, she did.

A few more miles had passed. My hands were so cold I couldn't shift with my thumb tips. I had to use the bone below to apply pressure. At that moment I wish I still had Shimano... because it was damn cold... It went on like that for another mile and a half, maybe, until the near end. I got out of the st, and hit the beach... It was pretty lame. Sand 7 inches thick, non-rideable. So, I picked up my bike and ran. Some more st, and eventually the road! I thought "Thank God..." I could start to feel cramping in my left calf.

I saw my teamate ahead of me. We both finished; he taking first and myself taking the second. Sure, it was a first timer/junior race with less than a dozen racers, but we still won. Felt a lot better than getting my ass kicked at CCCX 2 weeks ago.

I was absolutely FILTHY! So, I hit the bathroom with some paper towels and attempted to wipe down. Trick - after taking shoes/socks off, soak the paper towel in water, DONT ring it, and apply to leg. It will act kinda like in a shower, and the mud will just slide off. Works a lot better than rubbing it off... ! Anyways, I cleaned up the best I could and then changed in my car.
    Overall, good day. Good race, actually fun for a change. Weather was gross, but what can you do. I only felt loss of traction a few times, and that was because it was in thick, wet mud.

Just in case you're wondering...
    Food:
    Dinner night before - steak and ceaser salad
    Morning before race - peanut butter on toasted bagel, water
    During race - Bottle of Cyto... Forgot gels...:'(
    Afterwards - Clif bars, Cyto, Gatorade

dcubed
    Prelim results are up. I think I have my 1st DFL! any sympathy points for a flat and no rear brake?

Bah, I have fun, it is why I am there. my friends spend 75 dollar entry fees to go ride 100 miles on some backwoods 2 lane road full of hay trucks

mtbr member
    Who I felt bad for was the guy on the 07 Spesh Stumpjumper Comp who broke his chain at the start. I think he was Novice 39>. Right when the guy said go, all I saw was something skinny and long fall to the ground. Poor guy. Must have been frustrating as hell...

StumpyFSR
    My race...
    Well, I left the house at 6pm and I almost turned around and came back home after about 2 blocks. It was raining so hard I could barely see out the windshield. I think it rained the first lap of the race, but seemed to let up on the second lap. Lots of big puddles (make that lakes) that were a blast to fly through. Had trouble on some sections as the mud alternated from very sticky to very slippery. Got a good start but about 3/4 around the first lap i lost the front end and did an endo. Somehow my front brake cable popped out and locked up my front wheel. Lost a little time figuring out the problem and fixing. My drivetrain was grinding the whole way from all of that sandy muck, definitely gonna have to give it a good scrubbing. It was wet, cold, windy, slippery, sticky, oh and did I mention fun! All in all it was a great day!! Can't wait for the next race...

Members who have read this thread: 0