Coe ride to Pacheco Falls- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Coe ride to Pacheco Falls

It was time for a long solo ride in Henry Coe. Pacheco Falls sounded like an appropriate destination, with all the rain of past weeks.
    Forecast said warm and sunny, but it was drizzling at Hunting Hollow saturday morning (low clouds and fog).

The climb on the fireroad (Coit Road) didn't seem to end, but the good thing was that it got me above the clouds.

Live Oak Spring trail really ought to be renamed Dead Oak Spring trail, with a dozen or so of these in the way:

The overgrown trail to the falls:

The falls, at last! Seen from a cliff on the west side.

Another angle:

It's quite a cliff.

View from above:

The climb back up from Pacheco Creek was punishing - the 0.9 mile stretch felt longer than the 15 miles that came before it.

Encounter with another trail user on Wagon Road:

Actually I almost ran over it but could stop in time. It got a bit nervous and started rattling.

Off Wasno Road, I took Tule Pond trail, a gorgeous downhill:

After Tule Pond and a bit of Grizzly Gulch, climbing up the 0.9 mile long Serpentine trail proved to be an even more grueling experience than the climb up from Pacheco. But it was rewarded with Middle Steer Ridge, a screaming downhill leading back to the Hunting Hollow parking lot.

So how were the wildflowers doing? Pretty good, and plentiful:

Silence! I kill you!
    Is Middle Steer Ridge pretty overgrown? I'm gonna try to get up there this week for a night ride, and am thinking of going down it since its my fav
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

jrm
    mtbr member

That Tule trail pic..

is real nice. Oh and nice write up

Slowest Rider

Thanks for sharing

Looks like a fun ride to Pacheco Falls. They picked Back Country weekend to be now (April 28&29) for optimum flowers, which you seemed to hit nicely.

In his Coe Nightmare thread, Roy (Plymmer) had warned us about the trees on Live Oak and elsewhere, so I avoided it on my last trip out there. The trees on Wagon and elsewhere were nicely cut when I went the next week (see here), but I was wondering about Live Oak. How did you get around it - or through it?

Those Pacheco Falls are already much less water than on Roy's visit in the wet winter (see Nightmare thread above), but still a nice view. They may dry up in a few weeks at this rate.

I want to try those sweet singletrack trails around Hunting Hollow that I always bypass in going way out. I've been threatining a ride out there hitting the southern part (Phegely, Long Dam, Vasquez, Red Fern) and then coming back and hitting some of the close in single track (Tule, Serpentine, Middle Ridge, Tim Jones,.Grizzly) that make require a few trips up the hill until tired. Maybe it takes two trips to see it all really.

How were the streams on Hunting Hollow? It seems the water level is going down. Below your hub now?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    That Tule trail pic is real nice. Oh and nice write up
    I agree, that photo caught my eye immediately. It's a keeper!

More pie please

Very nice pics!!!!! Thanks for posting!

Coe has tons of wild flowers, it's way ahead of the Peninsula in the wild flower cycle. Last weekend on our way to White Tank/Rose Dam trails, we rode across the south end of the landing strip - where the pipe is laid out in a big X - which was covered solid with a lurid yellow wild flower ground cover. It was a strange, almost dizzy sensation to ride through such bright yellow!

///Charlie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Is Middle Steer Ridge pretty overgrown? I'm gonna try to get up there this week for a night ride, and am thinking of going down it since its my fav
    Here and there a bit, but nothing that should really slow you down - I only did to take pictures. Middle Steer was a blast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    In his Coe Nightmare thread, Roy (Plymmer) had warned us about the trees on Live Oak and elsewhere, so I avoided it on my last trip out there. The trees on Wagon and elsewhere were nicely cut when I went the next week (see here), but I was wondering about Live Oak. How did you get around it - or through it?
    It seems all those trees from Plymmer's thread are still there but people have cut a way through most of them. It takes some hike-a-biking here and there, in particular on the upper part of Live Oak that connects to Wagon Road.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    How were the streams on Hunting Hollow? It seems the water level is going down. Below your hub now?
    They were all rideable but you'll get wet. There's one where it's better to pick a good line as there is a deep section in the beginning (going in the direction of the parking lot) that wants you to make an endo. I'd say below the hub, if you avoid the deep spots .

mtbr member
    Great pics! Love Tule pond trail this time of year, singletrack in the truest sense, like a couple tire width's wide.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    IMHO, if you're looking for good routes down from Willson Peak, then the Spike Jones Trail is a *much* more fun way down than Middle Steer Ridge. Sure, you end up at the Coyote Creek entrance rather than Hunting Hollow, but the (easy) ride back on the paved road is a small price to pay for the sublime sweetness that is Spike Jones.

Ross.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finlayson
    Spike Jones Trail is a *much* more fun way down than Middle Steer Ridge.

To each there own, but every time I ride down Middle Steer I think to myself this is the best downhill in northern California, fast and narrow. So much fun that I ususally have to go for more, and hike a-bike it up Jim Donnelly for more fun on either Steer Ridge, or Spike Jones

• Members who have read this thread: 0