Climbs- Mtbr.com

Thread: Climbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Climbs

Can someone tell me how the climbs at skeggs compare to lake chabot in the east bay. Thanks.

mtbr member
    They are much steeper.

Uncle
    The easiest climbs at Chabot are easier than the easiest climbs at Skeggs. The hardest climbs at Skeggs are harder than the hardest climbs at Chabot. Between these ends, there are some comparable climbs. If you can knock out 20+ miles at Chabot (on dirt that is -- not rounding the lake), then you'll be able to enjoy Skeggs. Probably should bring a bike with a granny ring and lots of water, and go with someone that has ridden there before.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I never really thought the climbs at Skeggs were all that steep to begin with. What always gets me at Skeggs is how soft the soil usually is, which ends up feeling like you are peddling in sand

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I actually rode at Skeggs for the first time today and I used to live in San Leandro and ride at Chabot frequently. The biggest climb at Chabot is about 500 (Brandon trail). Skeggs has got some seriously long climbs. I climbed Meth-somthing today at Skeggs and it was almost a 1000ft climb. Not really steep, but just really grueling do to length. All in all I rode for 2 hours and 15 minutes, 12 miles and climbed 2600 ft. My normal ride at Chabot was 3 hours, 23 miles and about 1300ft of climbing. Pretty much sums up the comparison.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Bump..

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by taprsnap8888
    I actually rode at Skeggs for the first time today and I used to live in San Leandro and ride at Chabot frequently. The biggest climb at Chabot is about 500 (Brandon trail). Skeggs has got some seriously long climbs. I climbed Meth-somthing today at Skeggs and it was almost a 1000ft climb. Not really steep, but just really grueling do to length. All in all I rode for 2 hours and 15 minutes, 12 miles and climbed 2600 ft. My normal ride at Chabot was 3 hours, 23 miles and about 1300ft of climbing. Pretty much sums up the comparison.
    Riding at Skeggs can become very addicting. If you ride there alot, you'll find that most other local parks become easy in comparison. Methuselah is a fairly typical grind from the bottom. An even longer grind is Virginia Mill/Lawrence Creek, but that's an awesome perimeter loop if you don't mind 3 hours and 4k of climbing. If you want some steep, check out lower Fir or lower Steam Donkey. It's all good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador
    The easiest climbs at Chabot are easier than the easiest climbs at Skeggs. .

Members who have read this thread: 0