Chris King Bottom Bracket Tool - anyone have one?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    91

    Chris King Bottom Bracket Tool - anyone have one?

    Does anyone have a Chris King Bottom Bracket Tool I can use? I'll pay you $10 to use it. I can go to the LBS to get it installed for free, but they have the Enduro ABI BB tool, which will definitely scratch the CK BB I just bought. I'm in Modesto, CA.
    "'I'm here to guard and protect your heart." (Kasey to Ali, The Bachelorette 2010)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    35
    The CK BB uses the same tool as Shimano BBs which are readily available (e.g. Park BBT-19). I would recommend forking out just a few extra more $'s and make the investment if you can... you will definitely need to use it again and again.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by rsato1
    The CK BB uses the same tool as Shimano BBs which are readily available (e.g. Park BBT-19). I would recommend forking out just a few extra more $'s and make the investment if you can... you will definitely need to use it again and again.
    Do you know if the Park tool is made from aluminum or steel? If it's made from steel, it will definitely mar the CK BB. Trying to keep my BB looking pretty.
    "'I'm here to guard and protect your heart." (Kasey to Ali, The Bachelorette 2010)

  4. #4
    Rubber side down
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    124
    I bought the tool and the greese injector for $70. Well worth the investment. I live in Tahoe City, sorry can't help.
    Jack Tupp

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,521
    Quote Originally Posted by TitusMotolite
    Do you know if the Park tool is made from aluminum or steel? If it's made from steel, it will definitely mar the CK BB. Trying to keep my BB looking pretty.
    I used the park tool on 3 CK BB so far. No mars at all. You do have to make sure both the BB and tool are clean and grease free. You also have to make sure you have the tool on all the way at all times you are torquing it.

    So, CK bb tool is Al???? I wouldn't think that would be strong enough. Or, worse yet, the tool deforms before your part does. That makes the tool worthless or questionable for future use.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trailseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    552
    I used the park tool my my KK bottom bracket and it made a few tiny marks in the slots. hardly noticeable, though. Oh well.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    I used the park tool on 3 CK BB so far. No mars at all. You do have to make sure both the BB and tool are clean and grease free. You also have to make sure you have the tool on all the way at all times you are torquing it.
    Ditto on the above--- no scratching issues on my CK BB. Make sure you keep one hand to apply lateral pressure to seat the tool firmly on the BB cups while installing/removing. The CK BB has rounded cups which makes the tool easier to slip if you're not careful. You could also try wrapping the BB cups with some masking tape to protect marring against the tool.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    91
    Park Tool it is! I'll make sure I put masking tape on the BB to prevent any marks. I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get it installed.
    "'I'm here to guard and protect your heart." (Kasey to Ali, The Bachelorette 2010)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,145
    FYI, you can often get the compatible Shimano tool for $5-10 at a local shop. I paid $5 for mine & it didn't make any mark whatsoever on my King BB (no tape necessary).

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.