China Peak - Which Bike?

Printable View

• 08-14-2019
    canadianjerkey
    China Peak - Which Bike?
    I'm headed down to China Peak with some buddies on the 24th, and am always looking for an excuse to justify owning my DH bike. But would that be overkill for China Peak?

I know they run CES races there, and at some point had a GRT race I think? So maybe either bike would work just fine?

If anybody has any insight, it'd be much appreciated.
  • 08-14-2019
    NRP
    I've skied there but never biked. I heard the trails are rough so maybe a DH bike would be best?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  • 08-15-2019
    RBoardman
    I think an Enduro bike is better at every bike park in CA personally.

But there is a ski lift, so Iím sure DH bike would also be fun.
  • 08-15-2019
    canadianjerkey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post

Yeah I don't doubt that, especially after taking my DH bike to Mammoth and having to traverse with it! That experience is the main reason for asking about China Peak.
  • 08-15-2019
    Duffman1976
    Quote:

Agree with this. I'm local to CP, you can ride either bike and still have a lot of fun. However, an enduro bike is plenty for everything there. No big features or anything like that. Mostly lots of raw, natural terrain and big rocks.
  • 08-15-2019
    RBoardman
    If you didnít like the DH bike at Mammoth, China Peak will just be worse. Even though there is gnar, itís all very natural and raw and not at all like a DH track youíd find in Whistler.
  • 08-15-2019
    canadianjerkey
    Quote:

If you didnít like the DH bike at Mammoth, China Peak will just be worse. Even though there is gnar, itís all very natural and raw and not at all like a DH track youíd find in Whistler.

For more context, when I was at Mammoth they weren't running the whole mountain (bad timing on my part + a large fire nearby) so if I wanted to get to the bottom lot from the top I had to traverse on Downtown/Uptown. That was less than ideal on a DH bike.

I'm looking forward to natural/raw trails, and from the sounds of it, the DH bike should be fine. As long as the trails don't dump out at the bottom of a long climb or pedal back to the lifts.
  • 08-15-2019
    knobs
    If you want some XC action after a day of lift assist, the loop around Shaver Lake is in good shape. There are some changes thanks to fire abatement, which you won't notice if it's your first visit. There's a reality tv show being filmed near Bear's Highway Trail, but I think by the 24th they might be wrapping that up.