china camp trail report/ride this afternoon...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

china camp trail report/ride this afternoon...

so i am taking it easy this weekend while my knee recovers from last saturday's crash so took my 11 year old son for an easy loop around the front side of china camp. the trails are really getting there--some spots with water and/or mud but nothing that is impassable. the rest of the trails are perfect--nice and tacky. as you can imagine it was very crowded today but since i was with my son it didn't matter a bit as we were just enjoying the day. we stopped and took a close look at the 'rei' bridge..it's really big and quite a nice addition to the park.

we did the front side loop clockwise--i was really pumped at my son's performance as he cleared all the switchbacks on the climb and the descent, and also cleared most of the more technical stuff. now that he's 'retired' from soccer we're going to be doing a lot more riding together and if today is an indication i'll be taking him on a lot of fun terrain.

here are a few pix from the ride:

1. my son clearing some roots (or going around them)
    2. very large slide area...this will require some more trail rebuilding/shoring up
    3. great trail conditions...some of the more rocky stuff
    4. crossing the 'rei' bridge
    5. proud and happy dad!
    Attached Images Attached Images

enter and win

Dude,

Lesley and I passed you! We were mentioning how cool it was that someone was out at CC with a kid so young! Way to go! Hope he sticks with it, and kudos to you for being out there with him. Righteous!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbecky
    Lesley and I passed you! We were mentioning how cool it was that someone was out at CC with a kid so young! Way to go! Hope he sticks with it, and kudos to you for being out there with him. Righteous!
    i was wondering whether i would see anyone that i knew--where did you pass us--same direction or opposite?

he had a great time which will help get him on some other rides. i think he's big enough to try the headlands now...

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    i was wondering whether i would see anyone that i knew--where did you pass us--same direction or opposite?

he had a great time which will help get him on some other rides. i think he's big enough to try the headlands now...
    That was a pretty neat report. I can't wait to take my older one on real rides, although that's a few years away.

Is it me or do you have a dual crown fork on your bike?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    That was a pretty neat report. I can't wait to take my older one on real rides, although that's a few years away.

Is it me or do you have a dual crown fork on your bike?
    i will shamelessly admit that riding (and skiing) with my son (and other kids) are some of the most enjoyable things i do...it's a great thing to be able to share activities among your closest.

as for the fork, i was riding my bmw bike which does have a motorcycle-like dual crown front fork-very stiff... good catch. i was too lazy to clean my other bike in time for this ride....

mtbr member
    Glad to see that you are out riding and from the last pic, your left knee looks much better. China Camp looks like a fun place to ride. How long is the trail and how far from San Jose? Do you mind showing me around sometime?

sungchang

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang
    Glad to see that you are out riding and from the last pic, your left knee looks much better. China Camp looks like a fun place to ride. How long is the trail and how far from San Jose? Do you mind showing me around sometime?

sungchang
    china camp is a great deal of fun..there is a 'front' and 'back' side. i've only ridden the front which these pix are from the back is supposed to be in some respects a little better but i haven't been able to be guided on that side yet. there are tons of cc rides, just stay tuned and we'll hook up on one. as for the front, i'm very happy to show you around. when i'm not with my son i usually do two frontside loops (each direction) which ends up around 19 miles total...

Members who have read this thread: 0