China Camp - first timer..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

China Camp - first timer..

Hello,

Wed night will be my first ride at China Camp. Is there a fee to access the park, and what loops are recommended? I have downloaded a few maps of the park, but would like rider feedback on which loops to ride. I will be there around 6:30, so won't have too much time to explore, but it's a change from Tennessee Valley!

Thanks!
    -Larry

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913
    Hello,

Wed night will be my first ride at China Camp. Is there a fee to access the park, and what loops are recommended? I have downloaded a few maps of the park, but would like rider feedback on which loops to ride. I will be there around 6:30, so won't have too much time to explore, but it's a change from Tennessee Valley!

Thanks!
    -Larry
    The common entrance is on San Pedro. Park outside and ride in. Right next to the water fountain by the entrance is the trail head. When it forks you have your choice to continuing into the climbs immediately or go left and eventually follow the trail out past some porta-potties and out closer to the water (they are putting in drainage rock in some places) and keep going up the gentle climb. Going to the left essentially takes you in reverse. At one point you will see a really steep hill above you, this should lead you to the old Ajax missile pads (great views from there). Then you can take almost all the technical stuff during a downhill run from there back to the entrance.

Mike

I might be tempted to join you.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

mtbr member

Thanks for the info..

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great place to ride. I am looking forward to it. Please join us! There will be 4 of us. One silver GT(me), Kona, Klien, and bright RED Specialized can't miss us! We're shooting for 6:30 to be on the trail and riding.

I am looking forward to some new riding....

-Larry

Quote Originally Posted by STrackMike
    The common entrance is on San Pedro. Park outside and ride in. Right next to the water fountain by the entrance is the trail head. When it forks you have your choice to continuing into the climbs immediately or go left and eventually follow the trail out past some porta-potties and out closer to the water (they are putting in drainage rock in some places) and keep going up the gentle climb. Going to the left essentially takes you in reverse. At one point you will see a really steep hill above you, this should lead you to the old Ajax missile pads (great views from there). Then you can take almost all the technical stuff during a downhill run from there back to the entrance.

Mike

I might be tempted to join you.

MTBR.com Addict
    Mike,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great place to ride. I am looking forward to it. Please join us! There will be 4 of us. One silver GT(me), Kona, Klien, and bright RED Specialized can't miss us! We're shooting for 6:30 to be on the trail and riding.

I am looking forward to some new riding....

-Larry
    I'm trying to clear my schedule. I'm supposed to be meeting with someone from petfinder.com about adopting this really sweet trail dog, tonight. So if my attention is required on Wed to this I'll have to pass. I will know tonight and post to this message again.
    This is who I'm thinking of adding to the family:

Her name is Martha.
    Last edited by STrackMike; 07-13-2004 at 03:51 PM.

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Sounds good. She is a sweetie - hope all goes well with the adoption!

I'm trying to clear my schedule. I'm supposed to be meeting with someone from petfinder.com about adopting this really sweet trail dog, tonight. So if my attention is required on Wed to this I'll have to pass. I will know tonight and post to this message again.
    This is who I'm thinking of adding to the family:

Her name is Martha.

MTBR.com Addict

I'll be there tonight!

Things went well last night with Martha (Thinking about changing her name to Maggie though). Maureen (her foster mom) is looking to arrange a 'sleep over' for the end of the month so that we can spend some quality time for her. It's mainly so that Martha can interview me and see if I'm a good fit for her.

Anyway, enough jabbering about dogs. I'll be there right about 6:15-6:30.
    I'll be driving a grey Xterra with bike rack on the rear hitch. I'll be riding either my silver/black Fuji HT (with gold psylo fork) or blue/silver GF Sugar3. Both with disc brakes. I'll be wearing a grey helmet and an organgish looking camelback.

I sent a PM to you with my cell#, PM yours back and I can give you a ring when I'm getting close.

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    You have new PM. Thanks for joining us. Can't wait to see new sights, and ride new trails!

-Larry

Things went well last night with Martha (Thinking about changing her name to Maggie though). Maureen (her foster mom) is looking to arrange a 'sleep over' for the end of the month so that we can spend some quality time for her. It's mainly so that Martha can interview me and see if I'm a good fit for her.

Anyway, enough jabbering about dogs. I'll be there right about 6:15-6:30.
    I'll be driving a grey Xterra with bike rack on the rear hitch. I'll be riding either my silver/black Fuji HT (with gold psylo fork) or blue/silver GF Sugar3. Both with disc brakes. I'll be wearing a grey helmet and an organgish looking camelback.

I sent a PM to you with my cell#, PM yours back and I can give you a ring when I'm getting close.

MTBR.com Addict

Fun was had by all

No pic peeps. As it turns out we both left our respective homes late so we arrived approximately 7pm. We quickly got our kit together and took the reverse direction.
    I think I kept a pretty good pace for them. I heard a lot of positive comments and fun sounding conversations behind me. I heard the occasional "Whooa!". So I took that as a positive thing, thinking that China Camp could still hold some suprises. We made it nearly to the top, but it was starting to get dark by the time we got to where we stopped (about 7:50 or so). So it was agreed to go back the way we came. The consensus was that view from up there was pretty good with one abstention of "Nah, the view really sucks- ". Still a good thing though!
    For once I didn't have any mechanicals to hold me back on my Sugar3. So my body decided it would start running out of breath. I had been setting a pace that for me was a pretty strong one. Had to stop a couple of times. Towards the top though I started developing a cramp in my left calf that slowed me down considerably. Too many carbs earlier in the day (pasta for lunch and sipping cytomax and munching a clif bar on the way there) was the guess.

Oh and I figured out that I still suck on cleaning switchbacks.

Good ride guys! With the exception of one broken spoke on Larry's rear wheel, no crashes, injuries or blood sacrifices to the trail gods!

I'll have to show you guys Jaquin Miller off of Skyline Blvd sometime!

www.btceb.org

mtbr member

Thanks....

Thank you Mike for coming out to show us an awesome trail! It was a late ride, but well worth the effort on getting the Kona out of the bike shop!

Thanks again for the ride. The spoke has been replaced until of course the next ride you'll see me pulled over taken off yet; another one.......

Until next time - happy trails....

No pic peeps. As it turns out we both left our respective homes late so we arrived approximately 7pm. We quickly got our kit together and took the reverse direction.
    I think I kept a pretty good pace for them. I heard a lot of positive comments and fun sounding conversations behind me. I heard the occasional "Whooa!". So I took that as a positive thing, thinking that China Camp could still hold some suprises. We made it nearly to the top, but it was starting to get dark by the time we got to where we stopped (about 7:50 or so). So it was agreed to go back the way we came. The consensus was that view from up there was pretty good with one abstention of "Nah, the view really sucks- ". Still a good thing though!
    For once I didn't have any mechanicals to hold me back on my Sugar3. So my body decided it would start running out of breath. I had been setting a pace that for me was a pretty strong one. Had to stop a couple of times. Towards the top though I started developing a cramp in my left calf that slowed me down considerably. Too many carbs earlier in the day (pasta for lunch and sipping cytomax and munching a clif bar on the way there) was the guess.

Oh and I figured out that I still suck on cleaning switchbacks.

Good ride guys! With the exception of one broken spoke on Larry's rear wheel, no crashes, injuries or blood sacrifices to the trail gods!

I'll have to show you guys Jaquin Miller off of Skyline Blvd sometime!

MTBR.com Addict

... and if we just ... Thanks!

Thank you Mike for coming out to show us an awesome trail! It was a late ride, but well worth the effort on getting the Kona out of the bike shop!

Thanks again for the ride. The spoke has been replaced until of course the next ride you'll see me pulled over taken off yet; another one.......

Until next time - happy trails....
    Thanks! Oh, hey, don't forget to change that BB, it sounds like you are lubricating your spindle and shell with gravel!

www.btceb.org