NorCal Trail Rides

Is a Chest or Helmet Chin Mount better for a Go Pro Hero 7 Black?

I already posted in General, but since I'm a NorCal guy, and this is the best forum I'm posting here again because I believe there will be more feedback.

I tested out two ways of mounting a Go Pro Hero 7 Black. Chest and Chin. I heard the chin gives smoother video. I was excited to see the difference, and thought I found my new solution.

The comparisons are not equal as I do have different lighting on the same parts of trails in 3 segments, over the same obstacles, one mid day and the second end of day with a lot of shadows. However I learned some things.

While the footage may be a bit smoother, I think the chin mount loses some authentic cockpit action, and I think this is crucial. I don't see how the tiny bit of extra smoothness beats out the cockpit experience. While I may lose some downhill trail frames, I think mounting the chest with a slightly higher tilt angle may be better still.

I just feel like losing the bars take more away for the videos.

What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS7Wr7mxE6k

mtbr member
    If you are riding at a mellow pace on mellow trails, I’m sure the chest mount is fine. But on rough trails I don’t like that angle without a gimbal. And I don’t really like gimbals either.

So my vote is chin mount while always following someone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I like chest mounted, I'm 6' normal build and wear the chesty fully tight. Not as comfortable but really keeps the camera steady. Above is a test I did awhile back, and it really soaks up the bumps. What I like about this stabilization as opposed to gimbals is you get the tilting motion, I feel like gimbals smooth out the trail so much it makes it not gnarly at all. I'm rarely in a fullface these days so chin's not so much an option.
    Last edited by jaycagney; 1 Week Ago at 09:28 AM.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    https://youtu.be/KWUKaZqwWdw

I like chest mounted, I'm 6' normal build and wear the chesty fully tight. Not as comfortable but really keeps the camera steady. Above is a test I did awhile back, and it really soaks up the bumps. What I like about this stabilization as opposed to gimbals is you get the tilting motion, I feel like gimbals smooth out the trail so much it makes it not gnarly at all. I'm rarely in a fullface these days so chin's not so much an option.
    Yeah, the handlebars are really key to giving the viewer a point of reference for the video. It's easier to understand what's going on with the terrain when it comes to pitch and roughness. And in general, the lower the camera angle, the more realistic the view on terrain pitch.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    I prefer the chest mount with an extension arm to bring it up a little higher.

https://youtu.be/02hdWthbJ5I
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by slomtbr View Post
    Very good!!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    chesty since it can show off my moves a little better
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Is a Chest or Helmet Chin Mount better for a Go Pro Hero 7 Black?

Perhaps neither?
    In my worthless anonymous opinion, the rear-mount leader cam shows the best perspective, ala Nate Hills.

https://youtu.be/xcvcaVQvjYI
    Last edited by Shonbo; 1 Week Ago at 09:54 AM. Reason: So. Many. Typos.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Tell a good story and no one will care about the camera angle.
    Tell a crap story and no camera angle will save it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    the "leader cam" looks super sick but obviously needs a willing participant, and you have to stay super close together, the distance appears greater rather than just following.

leader cam from a few years back on some classic east coast trails-

Elitest thrill junkie
    I can never get a chest-mount tight enough to not flop in really abusive terrain, this is where gimballs come in, but IMO they are very susceptible to damage and just simple failure. IMO, not a good solution, but while they work, they work well. The Rylo (sp?) camera supposedly offers amazing smoothing for a chest-cam, I'm going to seriously look at that one. The issue though is if you have too much smoothing, then launching off a huge jump makes it look like you are just going still.

A helmet-mount allows for smoother video without the flopping problem of the chest-mount, but you lose the handlebars, and I do like the chest-angle better. If you do this right with a wide-angle, you get the tire at least and that gives you some perspective.

There's an entire forum dedicated to this, so probably far better advice there.

I experimented with mounting my camera on my bike before the snow hit, on one of the new trails we built over the summer. It moved around a little bit, but the basic concept was pretty cool I thought:

I get the most consistent results with the helmet mount.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Moderator Moderator
    I think BKXC and Seth have done some tests on this kind of stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone tried a shoulder mount?

https://stuntmancameramounts.com/pro...nd-hip-harness

NorCal Trail Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    Yes. GARBAGE. hits your neck and face and you see some face fish bowl .....and the angle is over the side of the shoulder and not centered.
    Last edited by Felt Ryder; 1 Week Ago at 11:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Felt Ryder View Post
    Yes. GARBAGE. hits your neck and face and you see some face fish bowl .....and the angle is over the side of the shoulder and not centered.
    Dang - had hoped it might be decent. Thanks!

NorCal Trail Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    Dang - had hoped it might be decent. Thanks!
    My latest I posted today is very chunky and I went with the chest again. My friend told me it made him dizzy!!! I guess I'll need to for helmet chin mount.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I can never get a chest-mount tight enough to not flop in really abusive terrain, this is where gimballs come in, but IMO they are very susceptible to damage and just simple failure.
    The key to chest-mounted footage is to not use a GoPro chesty.

Use a Stuntman chesty instead.

Is a Chest or Helmet Chin Mount better for a Go Pro Hero 7 Black?-render-3181.jpg

In my experience, my gimbals have not been very susceptible to damage or simple failure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Felt Ryder View Post
    My latest I posted today is very chunky and I went with the chest again. My friend told me it made him dizzy!!! I guess I'll need to for helmet chin mount.
    That has very little to do with where it's mounted and is mostly due to Hypersmooth lag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    In my experience, my gimbals have not been very susceptible to damage or simple failure.
    Then you are very lucky. I think all the people I know have broken theirs in one way or another.

mtbr member
    Also the new GoPro chest mounts should be much better. Bigger surface area as well as padding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Also the new GoPro chest mounts should be much better. Bigger surface area as well as padding.
    Yeah, they're better but still suck compared to the Stuntman.

Padding isn't needed, the shoulder straps are not as robust and most importantly they aren't as tall. The Stuntman's extra height also allows you to use a pack's sternum strap to stabilize it even more, if needed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The key to chest-mounted footage is to not use a GoPro chesty.

Use a Stuntman chesty instead.

That's lucky, because every time I've ridden with someone that had gimbals, it failed and they weren't able to use it. Thanks for the tip on the other harness.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

NorCal Trail Rides
    Stuntmans can swing a better angle too. I like them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That's lucky,
    I don’t think that three+ years, three different gimbals, dozens of rides and hundreds of hours of damage-free use counts as “lucky”

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don’t think that three+ years, three different gimbals, dozens of rides and hundreds of hours of damage-free use counts as “lucky”
    It does for the perspective of us that have seen all the failed ones in person.

In any case, another GoPro gripe, for something that is billed as an "outdoor camera" and expected to be used in all kinds of conditions, they sure do suck in the cold.