Cheater's guide to the Resolution root- Mtbr.com
    Spin-stabilized

Cheater's guide to the Resolution root

Folks who ride Skeggs know this part of Resolution.
    Photobucket

I usually attack this section by taking the left line but today I decided to give the right line a shot. The few times that I've attempted the right line, I didn't really have a plan and ended up just charging it and failing. Today, I got repeatable success. Don't ask me how graceful the other repeats were though.

Bashguard - check

Shift to a 1:1ish gear combo. A little higher ratio works as well (i.e. 22-20) - check

Relax, what could possibly go wrong?

Approach at a moderate speed (~6-7 miles per hour according to my bike computer) if you have slow reflexes like me. That way, you can sort things out (balance, steering, etc) when things get busy/bouncy.

Aim for the middle of the big fat root. This will give you room to avoid clipping the tree trunk to the right and avoid running into the second set of roots on the left.

Make sure you are off the brakes just before the front wheel makes contact. Do your braking before the smooth section at the turn if you need to scrub off some speed. The root can be cleared at a moderate speed but you definitely should have some momentum on final approach. This is what will let you flow over the root.

Pick up the front end of bike to hoist it over the root and shift your weight forward once the rear wheel starts to crest the root ( I know, it sounds very textbook). Make sure to keep your pedals in a position that won't smack or drag over the top of the root as this will stymie your success (this is where a low gear won't help).

Pedal away if you think you are about to bobble from lack of momentum (like I did in the video - lighter objects deccelerate faster ).
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    That was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too smoothe. Must be some camera trickery or something because it just can't be that easy. Something shady going on for sure. I mean c'mon, I've been riding Skeggs for years now and have never made that. Granted, I never go for the big root...seems kinda counter intuitive, but it just can't be that easy. Period. You must have skill or something.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    This is a really good post. I'm inspired to do it now man.

It might be a different story though when I get there.... just like the last 10x.

fc

Urban Ninja

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The key ingredient...Bash Guard.

aka baycat
    Cheater line!

I like the far left one. Front wheel over first root, runs into second root, and family jewels meet stem.

Now on to the creek crossing at the bottom of um I always forget?

It's Quick
    Very nice. They aren't kidding you make it look super easy. I wouldn't credit it all to the bike. I bet you could make it on your Cham. I saw u pull some super cool stuff on it!
    2008 SC Chamelon
    2007 SC Nomad 1-1/8
    2007 SC V-10

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That really does look smooth! And, it looks like something I could do. Funny - that root looks 2x as nasty in person. I only tried it once, and failed miserably. This video motivates me to try again. I guess if you choose that line, the second root isn't much of an issue? I better bring my pads to Skeggs next time....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't hate the player...hate the game! Nicely done!

~~~
    nicely done! thanks for taking the time to take a video.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Now delete this before everyone else sees it

Haud yer wheesht!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    The key ingredient....
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    As Strawberry Shortcake would say... BERRY NICE!

(now if I could only convince my nuts to try it I would be golden!)

mtbr member
    very smooth. yeah it looks like you have what we laymen call skill. i ride that trail all the time and get off my bike each and every time at that spot. i consider myself a somewhat experienced rider too. nicely done.

mtbr member
    Cyclocross!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've been taking baby steps around skeggs for root clearing skills. I've got the one on blue blossom going clockwise dialed. There are a couple little rock/root climb things on the leaf trails, clockwise again. The next one I'd really like to clear is going up the bottom part of el corte madera where that cut up root is at the top of the hill- the one where you'll fall off the cliff if you go to far left. Once I get those down, I'll go for Resolution, but I hardly ever go counterclockwise at skeggs.

mtbr member

Thanks for the tip...I've been doing the left line for years

with success only about 40% of the time, so the right line is now in the hard drive for future reference. Thanks for sharing the secret sauce!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Good stuff Bailout............. i've never even tried to make that section, but you inspires me..... nez tyme brada'..... I guess iz da bike too ha'..... hehe

lets ride soon....................

Let's ride
    What's bothersome is I made that root the first couple times I tried it 3 years ago and have never since. I was just there last Friday, and the right side looks so tall that I end up going over the left side, and failing.

Bailout, your posted video makes that look incredibly smooth.

Ariolimax columbianus
    haven't been to skeggs that many times, but one of the 1st or 2nd times i was there and rode that section J hollered about that line. i (thought it was) made it pretty easy, made it one or more times that same time, that was on a full suspension 26". with a front suspension 29" hardtail i just rolled over that root like a curb. i thought that rocky loose tech climb that goes in the direction back towards 35 (i think) on manzanita (i think again) was a lot harder.

i found it harder to roll up that three stair in duboce park coming back from through the wiggle towards the castro. i ate it on that.

i agree w/sabine. cycloross, but see who can shotgun the most budweisers and still make it. flat pedals too.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    im gonna try that with my new AM bike tomorrow at skeggs

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    What's bothersome is I made that root the first couple times I tried it 3 years ago and have never since. I was just there last Friday, and the right side looks so tall that I end up going over the left side, and failing.

Bailout, your posted video makes that look incredibly smooth.

Thanks. I did a couple attempts before I shot the video. The first try, I had the rear shock set to fully active and almost made it but stalled. I was also in granny gear not knowing that that was a bad idea. I biffed on the next attempt because my left foot was pattering off the pedal (platforms) and I didn't have enough room or time to correctly setup before the moment of truth. I started about 6 bike lengths from the root for all the attempts. The third attempt was the one I thought to video thinking that I might actually make it. The fourth and fifth tries were much smoother as I had the presence of mind to carry more momentum and also steer clear of the second set of roots having the up-and-over part sorted out. I had pro pedal on for all the successful tries.

Having said all that, I don't think that section has lost it's intimidation factor for me. It's just a monstrously tall root - almost like the buttressed tree trunks that would frustrate me on the trails back home. I'll probably prefer the left line more just because it is more my style (slow). It's not as fun but it's more low-impact on both bike and root.

Now, if only I can make it up the Manzanita climb. Going back up towards the parking lot is not a problem (stay away from the channel on the left!). Going up the rocky scramble in the opposite direction is another story. Did someone mention the root with a groove on ECM trail? While riding uphill, I caught my pedal on that one and could not unclip. I pulled an unintentional wheelie that didn't end well and went over the cliff!. How I managed to hang on to the bike and grab on to the retaining boards on the edge is a miracle. Two riders saw me go over and yelled "Nice save!". Indeed, it could have been really ugly. I escaped with just a banged up shin and a sprained wrist. All these tech tidbits is what keeps me coming back to Skeggs.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixquiac
    I bet you could make it on your Cham
    Only problem is, she's stripped down to nothing but the frame now. You planning a Tahoe trip at all? Let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Last time I was there, I thought about trying that line, but the scores of chainring gouges made me shy away from it. The video looked really smooth - did your bash guard even touch the root?

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by PlasticBike
    ...did your bash guard even touch the root?
    Nope. With my fork lowered, the static BB height was probably just a tad over 13".

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout

Having said all that, I don't think that section has lost it's intimidation factor for me. It's just a monstrously tall root - almost like the buttressed tree trunks that would frustrate me on the trails back home. I'll probably prefer the left line more just because it is more my style (slow). It's not as fun but it's more low-impact on both bike and root.

Now, if only I can make it up the Manzanita climb. Going back up towards the parking lot is not a problem (stay away from the channel on the left!). Going up the rocky scramble in the opposite direction is another story. Did someone mention the root with a groove on ECM trail? While riding uphill, I caught my pedal on that one and could not unclip. I pulled an unintentional wheelie that didn't end well and went over the cliff!. How I managed to hang on to the bike and grab on to the retaining boards on the edge is a miracle. Two riders saw me go over and yelled "Nice save!". Indeed, it could have been really ugly. I escaped with just a banged up shin and a sprained wrist. All these tech tidbits is what keeps me coming back to Skeggs.
    yup, now someone has mentioned all my favorite challengers at Skeggs...

1. Resolution root - not yet

2. root with a groove going up ECM - about 50% (technically quite a bit easier but the left side cliff psyches me out)

3. Manzanita rock-garden climb going toward 35 - about 50% (taking far right line)

4.Manzanita rocky scramble climb in opposite direction - not yet - I agree that this is harder.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    My white whale is climbing the creek drop backwards down at the bottom of the park, that's quite difficult. Not dropping into the creek, but climbing back out straight up, clean.

mtbr member
    Ok here is a tip for the Manzanita climb. Stay away from the line on your left and go straight up just avoiding the roots on your left and bushes on your right. Accelerate while approaching and then shift into your granny up front and next to last ring in back. After you clear 2/3 of the climb - after the roots where the steep rocky stuff starts, downshift to your lowest gear, get off the seat and crouch at the center of your bike to improve traction and pedal like hell. I do not have high success rate on it but I do make it 20% of the time.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I can do that root - going the other way! But seriously, was there today and can't do it without a bash guard. Bottom bracket is too low - front chainring scrapes badly on that puppy.

Sweet video. I think you've inspired quite a few here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    That was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too smoothe. Must be some camera trickery or something because it just can't be that easy. Something shady going on for sure. I mean c'mon, I've been riding Skeggs for years now and have never made that. Granted, I never go for the big root...seems kinda counter intuitive, but it just can't be that easy. Period. You must have skill or something.

Agreed.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

fc
    Root took me out and cut my knee yesterday. I may come back there today.

I nailed the Manzanita climb and the North Leaf root (going back to lot) yesterday. But this root hates me.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Root took me out and cut my knee yesterday. I may come back there today.

I nailed the Manzanita climb and the North Leaf root (going back to lot) yesterday. But this root hates me.
    This thread revival brought back a memory. I have done this before...

from Justin English on Vimeo.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng View Post
    This thread revival brought back a memory. I have done this before...
    What a baller. Must be using one em 26ers.

fc

Over it
    Jun 2010
    "A little bit bigger than it actually looks."--what she said

Seriously, well done! You made that look way too easy (speed is your friend).
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    What a baller. Must be using one em 26ers.

fc
    And he took the cheater outside high line! Try cutting the inside line next time jeng!
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill ll

ask
    user
    I think the root has gotten 2x this size since the video was taken in 2009... It looks way bigger to me in person.

~~~
    We had a little session here in 2010.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    We had a little session here in 2010.

I may be setting myself up here but, that was pretty ugly You did make it though. I haven't been there in years so...I'll have to visit. Jeng, on the other hand, was soo smooth

mtbr member
    Hey A. that is totally awesome+!

It reminds me if when you were the first to clean the first switchback of Cougar Trail in Coe after we had a go of sanitizing that turn!

Class act all the way!

mtbr member
    Seriously wtf man. Can you levitate? I've gone at that stupid root a billion times and never have cleaned it like that. Again, maybe if I don't charge it like a bull in a china shop I may actually be able to clear it nicely too..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I still can't clear it on the down direction on my rigid SS, anybody have any advice?

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I still can't clear it on the down direction on my rigid SS, anybody have any advice?

I don't think I've made it downhill over the tall side either. I mostly wimp out and hesitate as my bike stalls over the small root right before the big one. It's mostly a mental thing for me. I think your rigid fork will help you not endo because it won't dive.
    Man, I miss skeggs. Haven't been there since tburger filmed my epic fail over the off camber rocks on south leaf
    I shot this video about 3 years ago. I haven't strung the manzanita wall and the root together in one ride since.

from avi pao on Vimeo.

No Stranger to danger....
    After ive had a fight with the lady i love a 'resolution root', im not sure what everybody else is talkin about in this thread ?
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    After ive had a fight with the lady i love a 'resolution root', im not sure what everybody else is talkin about in this thread ?
    It's about how hard it is to resolve the dispute. Also "tie me kangaroo down" might take on a different meaning.

Name:  oh behave.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  22.1 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I'm happy they haven't ran their dozer over this thing to "prevent erosion" - I think it's important to have some difficult sections. I haven't been their in a while, is the upper section of Fir trail still a trenched out steep suicide run (at least to me and my rigid)?

mtbr member
    Cleared this for the first time in a year or two last night. Not nearly as smooth as Jeng, but no dabs... Hey Francis, where is your "F#@$ing East Coast Syle!" video of the reso root?

More pie please
    Today I noticed what appears to be a cheater line being developed dipping through the gully on the opposite side of the tree. Sorry, no camera today.

Anyone else seeing this?
    ///Charlie
    Long live long rides

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Today I noticed what appears to be a cheater line being developed dipping through the gully on the opposite side of the tree. Sorry, no camera today.

Anyone else seeing this?
    ///Charlie
    Saw this a few weekends ago, but it did not look like it was used much.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    Saw this a few weekends ago, but it did not look like it was used much.
    I was back through there on Wednesday and yeah, it's not being used. Photo:

Long live long rides

mtbr member
    I love the subject of this thread. The Reso root, Manzanita wall, and South Leaf rock drop (and super steep sections) are my nemeses. No cleaning on any of those for me.

Good luck on the cheat line with 780mm bars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    this is like me at fairy gates in UCSF - I can make the first one but not the second. found inspiration from this post but that drop and off camber of the second set just freaks me out. I've made it, finally, through the narrow tree on Sutro backside

mtbr member
    This whole UCSF thing is a super tangent but I love this thread coming back from dead.

Where on Fairy Gates are you talking about? What narrow tree on backside? I was up there almost every day for a few years but moved up to Marin last year and haven't been back since. Something new up there?

On Fairy Gates, all I can think of is the left hand turn around the rock face with the exposure on right (going down hill). That spot?

Need to get back up there. Such a great spot for middle of city.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    there is a narrow tree on the south side of the sutro trail that is trick, and yes we are talking about the same spot on Fairy over the two rock sections with steep drop on your right...sorry for tangent!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have tried the resolution root many times to no avail. Maybe I'll buy a bash guard and give the inside line a go (probably not going to happen).

Witnessed a mountain man wearing what appeared to be clipless birkenstocks (or similar) clear that Manzanita uphill rock garden. He was riding a Yeti, which felt appropriate. I've made it about a third of the way before throwing in the towel. Never tried the right side.

mtbr member
    Session that rock garden!

GoPro footage of our crew trying it until we made it.

https://youtu.be/NQItqiJvon8

I'm still working on the root.

mtbr member
    Here's one way to dispatch with that root:

Behind the scenes:

mtbr member
    A lot less finesse, but got the job done:

fc
    awesome job!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
    this is like me at fairy gates in UCSF - I can make the first one but not the second. found inspiration from this post but that drop and off camber of the second set just freaks me out. I've made it, finally, through the narrow tree on Sutro backside
    I know the exact spots you are talking about in Sutro - no disrespect intended, but that rock section near fairy gates is pretty straight-forward compared to resolution root - it is purely mental and all about commitment - just get some speed / momentum and pedal straight through the face and you will just roll right up it like it is nothing - after you do it a couple times, you will wonder why it seemed challenging before.

The narrow tree is definitely more tricky especially with slippery, wet roots (it is almost always wet there) - & that section became much more tricky the wider my bars got - I had it totally down when I was running 680 bars, but it is much more difficult with 780 bars!

There are 2 other spots in Sutro that are very challenging:

1. Climbing that super tight right switchback at the bottom of Gardeners trail (the short trail that starts to parallel Historic and takes you back to the paved road)

2. Descending that super steep West Ridge trail from Historic down to paved Crestmont Dr. - it took me a while to turn into and commit to that last section where the rope is there for hikers to pull themselves up, but it is good fun when you finally clean it

Members who have read this thread: 0