Chabot: Opening Brandon Singletrack - Bad Idea?- Mtbr.com
    Derailleurless

Chabot: Opening Brandon Singletrack - Bad Idea?

As a follow-up to the mentioning last week of opening the Brandon singletrack between the Ten Hills gate and the Proctor staging area (the parking lot with the outhouse), I noticed signs posted this weekend indicating this is in process and public comments are being solicited.

I a little surprised at myself for taking this stance, but I'm opposed to this happening. But hear me out.

Opening this short section of trail -- less than 1/8 mile, I believe -- could prove detrimental towards the future of meaningful legal single in the park.

The section in question is very heavily used by hikers, dog walkers, and trail runners and closes the 2 mile loop between Ten Hills fire road (legal) and the Proctor singletrack hiking trail (off-limits). Additionally, there is a significant drainage problem problem on this trail, resulting in standing water or wet mud for 6 months out of the year.

With Ten Hills being a part of the official "Lake Chabot Bicycle Loop" (as published on park maps and as indicated on trail markers), bike traffic is very high in this area.

Anyone who has ridden Ten Hills knows the frustration of trying to get a good run on the whoop-de-doos without having to slow or stop for loose dogs or casual hikers or moms with strollers three abreast. No imagine funneling all those bikes onto that very short section of singletrack, and for what purpose?

Redwood road is right there, paralleling Brandon (albeit on asphalt), out of the way of this crowded trail, and with a bike lane. Yeah, it's pavement, and that sucks, but at least it's conveient for us.

What I'm getting at is that this has the potential to be a bad "lasting impression" to make on a large group of trails users, and it's almost as if we're being set up to create conflict and ill feelings, over a trail so short it isn't even worth our time. Not when there are examples of less traveled, better constructed, properly drained and worthwhile (length) singletrack in the park, such as Towhee trail behind the campgrounds.

As an occasional poach on a not-too-crowded midweek ride, I can understand Brandon ST being a fun alternate. But to point every single cyclist down that section is a shot in the foot in terms of us seeing additional singletrack legalized in Anthony Chabot park.

mtbr member

Brandon Trail

The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay has been pursuing opening this and many other East Bay singletracks for years. Check out their most recent proposal here http://www.btceb.org/pdf/SingletrackProposal.pdf

The primary reason we've been pressing for access to this trail is safety. As in safety with regard to crossing the road. Both at the exit of Ten Hills and then entering the golf course, we have to cross the road at spots with bad sight lines. I've almost been hit by a speeding car and it's only a matter of time before someone does get hit.

You raise good points about funnelling everyone down that trail, but I don't think it matters much. Like you said, there are already tons of encounters on Ten Hills. With regard to the drainage problem, the Park District plans to address it before opening the trail.
    What would we do without trails?
    Get involved
    Join your local club and IMBA
    www.imba.com

Paper or plastic?
    If mud is an issue, close the trail during the wet months. That should take care of it. Other than that, it's an issue of common sense. See hikers, press brakes...

Paper or plastic?
    BTW, I saw the posting last night on said trails at the end of Ten Hills. If I get the timeline right, EB parks board of directors has to vote on it sometimes in Nov 2004 to open the trail. Man, talk about dragging their feet! Who elects those clowns anyway? It might be faster to get a new board of directors at EBparks than it is to open one single track there... Until then, there's always night poaching.

mtbr member
    Yeah I think the sign estimated Nov 16? Although it's still subject to a couple more meetings where the proposal can be challenged. So... nothing is set yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Who elects those clowns anyway?
    Well, you do, if you live in the East Bay. Three directors are up for a election in November and there is a ballot measure for a proposed parcel tax if you live in the northwestern part of the District. The BTCEB will have info on the parcel tax in it's October newsletter. Check it out, then let the park district know how you feel in November.

BTW, don't automatically vote against the incumbent just because you're unhappy with the current status quo. Some directors favor mtb access and there is a possibility that a serious anti-mtb person may run for Jean Siri's seat in Berkeley.
    Get involved
    www.imba.com

Paper or plastic?
    Great. I assume that you guys will let us know who the best candidates are from a MTB perspective? I'll vote accordingly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Great. I assume that you guys will let us know who the best candidates are from a MTB perspective? I'll vote accordingly.
    We will, within the constraints of our non-profit status. If you see nothing from us on the matter, then the incumbents are running unopposed. Still, keep an eye out for info on the parcel tax, both from us and in the papers.
    Get involved
    www.imba.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCAMBA Prez
    We will, within the constraints of our non-profit status. If you see nothing from us on the matter, then the incumbents are running unopposed. Still, keep an eye out for info on the parcel tax, both from us and in the papers.
    Since you are "The Prez" you will probably know how to help. I live in West Sonoma
    county and am looking to get involved in opeing some trails out towards Armstrong Woods. Any contacts or suggestions. It is my favorite place to poach for a sunrise Sunday ride, but I hate poaching. There has to be a way to do it legally. Any thoughts?
    There is just something about riding under 1000 + yr old trees.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grover
    Since you are "The Prez" you will probably know how to help. I live in West Sonoma
    county and am looking to get involved in opeing some trails out towards Armstrong Woods. Any contacts or suggestions. It is my favorite place to poach for a sunrise Sunday ride, but I hate poaching. There has to be a way to do it legally. Any thoughts?
    There is just something about riding under 1000 + yr old trees.
    Thanks
    Try the Sonoma County Trails Council

http://www.sonomatrails.org/sctc/

These guys were responsible for Annadel. I've never met Ken Wells but have heard great things.
    Get involved
    www.imba.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCAMBA Prez
    Try the Sonoma County Trails Council

http://www.sonomatrails.org/sctc/

These guys were responsible for Annadel. I've never met Ken Wells but have heard great things.
    I knew I could count on "The Prez"
    Happy Friday.
    Market closes a 1pm...riding by 2pm. TGIF
    Cheers

enjoying the scenery
    Wow, an interesting little blast from the past. I never knew that "connector" was "recent." The OP notion of it being a detrimental was unfounded. Most hikers/dog walkers, 3 abreast strollers turn around at the gate as I never really have much issue with people past that. Most EB parks are congested around the gates, once you ride a little ways out the people vanish and you can enjoy your ride.
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon

Lusus Naturae
    For a second i thought this thread was about making some new singletrack so i can stop trying to PR the climb up brandon fireroad. damnit.

It's about showing up.
    I really don't like the very popular start at 10 Hills. Too many people It is like the first 300 yards of Redwood on either side of the Skyline Gate. I prefer Grass Valley, Bort, or Parkridge.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 03-22-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    I don't rattle.

Derailleurless

Re: Chabot: Opening Brandon Singletrack - Bad Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by danec99 View Post
    The OP notion of it being a detrimental was unfounded. Most hikers/dog walkers, 3 abreast strollers turn around at the gate as I never really have much issue with people past that. Most EB parks are congested around the gates, once you ride a little ways out the people vanish and you can enjoy your ride.
    I don't know that it's unfounded... I walk and ride this section, and neither is without conflict. This is undeniably a fun section to blow through, and all I'm suggesting is that if EBRPD was to poll users (walkers especially) as to the viability of opening other park single track to bikes, they would see a higher number of complaints here than if the test section was something less populated, away from a parking lot and short hiking loop.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate View Post
    I don't know that it's unfounded... I walk and ride this section, and neither is without conflict. This is undeniably a fun section to blow through, and all I'm suggesting is that if EBRPD was to poll users (walkers especially) as to the viability of opening other park single track to bikes, they would see a higher number of complaints here than if the test section was something less populated, away from a parking lot and short hiking loop.
    This is a trail that's been open for years, isn't even close to being a singletrack, nor a problem. This 9 year old thread is about the trail that runs parallel to Redwood Rd and was widened into another typical EBRPD road before being open to bikes. Before it was open you used to have to ride on the road as part of the parks "Bike Loop". (How stupid was that?)

EBRPD has opened several short cow paths hundreds of miles out in the boondocks over the years (Del Valle, Garin, Mission Peak, Briones, etc.) none which have every been a problem. (Mainly because they grown over and become a weed path they get such little use.) It's high time that Ord 38 is revised and some meaningful trails are either opened or build for cyclists in the largest regional park district in the U.S. The idea that we're still riding on **** trails like Brandon is a disgrace. (I'd challenge anyone within EBRPD to ride up West Ridge in Redwood Regional Park - one of the District signature "Bike Loops", and stay on the bike.)

While it's great we're seeing some progress in the District's Master Plan and in Pleasanton Ridge, progress has been undeniable slow and tepid.

enjoying the scenery
    It was dig up old threads day! I actually found this thread interesting as I never knew that trail was newish, and the MTB loop took you out on the road. I never encounter people on that section, and I ride Chabot way too much. I was wondering how long it will take until Brandon resembles West Ridge, a VERY wide trail. I still enjoy riding there, I don't dislike riding fire roads as much as others. I am looking forward to what they will do out in P Ridge as well.
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon

It's about showing up.
    It puts a scale on the time needed to do things. Scary.
    I don't rattle.

Paper or plastic?

Re: Chabot: Opening Brandon Singletrack - Bad Idea?

9 years already ...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun