Be Careful On Stiles Ranch In Santa Teresa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Be Careful On Stiles Ranch In Santa Teresa

I just rode there today and someone put a few large rocks on the trail, hidden where folks like those on bikes can't see until almost too late. It looks intentional.

There were three such rocks on the fast section, just before you enter the switchback area, as you make the sharp left turn with the rock pile on the right of the trail. My friend who rode there the day before noticed some further down on the 2nd switchback as you go down. He said two large rocks nearly caught him and made for a close call. Those were right around the turn, where its hard to see until your right there.

Be careful out there. Someone is not in our favor.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Slowest Rider

Sink Holes Too!

Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    I just rode there today and someone put a few large rocks on the trail, hidden where folks like those on bikes can't see until almost too late. It looks intentional.

There were three such rocks on the fast section, just before you enter the switchback area, as you make the sharp left turn with the rock pile on the right of the trail. My friend who rode there the day before noticed some further down on the 2nd switchback as you go down. He said two large rocks nearly caught him and made for a close call. Those were right around the turn, where its hard to see until your right there.

A bit further from Stile Ranch toward Bernal Road on Mine/Pueblo is some bad mud patches, and even a DEEP sinkhole that swallowed my front wheel into a thick deep muddy quicksand-like stinky goop. When I tried to get right side up after the endo, I found myself sinking to above my knee in the sewage-clay mud. See pictures here.

Oh, and I hope you moved those rocks off the trail? Or did you just post the warning for the next guy?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, I moved them. I didn't want anyone else getting hurt. Its a good thing my friend and I didn't have an accident.
    We Ride In God's Country!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch

Thanks for the warning.
    I just started heading down towards the switchbacks last night when I hit another rock and got a flat. 5 minutes later I start pumping up my replacement tube, only to find it has a hole in it too. :mad2: On the way back I got to walk through some of that stinky mud.

At least the weather was nice.

-Dan

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Thanks for the warning.
    I just started heading down towards the switchbacks last night when I hit another rock and got a flat. 5 minutes later I start pumping up my replacement tube, only to find it has a hole in it too. :mad2: On the way back I got to walk through some of that stinky mud.

At least the weather was nice.

-Dan

So does that make you a broke down rolling repair shop?

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    So does that make you a broke down rolling repair shop?

Sean
    haha. Repair shops don't always have parts in stock.

-Dan

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    haha. Repair shops don't always have parts in stock.

-Dan

I hear that. Are you joining us tomorrow?

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Members who have read this thread: 1