Car window smashed at Saratoga Gap...- Mtbr.com
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Car window smashed at Saratoga Gap...

Just needed to rant and pass this little cautionary note along to others who frequent this trail. I went for a ride last Friday after work and returned to a smashed-out window and a stolen backpack of dirty clothes

I was parked at the trailhead on the corner of Hwy 9 & 35, in full view of passing traffic during daylight hours but apparently still not enough deterrent for these laundry thieving deviants. If you park there, stash your dirties in the trunk in case these sock-fetishists are out trolling for soiled hosiery again.

I obviously couldn't care less about the bag of stolen clothes but windows aren't cheap and it completely ruined an otherwise great ride. Actually saw a bobcat that day down on Peters Creek trail!

Anyways, I'm done ranting. If anyone knows of a good, but inexpensive, mobile window repairer in the south bay, please do pass that info along.

mtbr member

thanks for the heads up.....

I always park at the big parking lot and have had no problems. Think I'll keep parking there. This breaking may have been some punks cruising there for the first time.

thanks for the heads up.....

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides
    Just needed to rant and pass this little cautionary note along to others who frequent this trail. I went for a ride last Friday after work and returned to a smashed-out window and a stolen backpack of dirty clothes

I was parked at the trailhead on the corner of Hwy 9 & 35, in full view of passing traffic during daylight hours but apparently still not enough deterrent for these laundry thieving deviants. If you park there, stash your dirties in the trunk in case these sock-fetishists are out trolling for soiled hosiery again.

I obviously couldn't care less about the bag of stolen clothes but windows aren't cheap and it completely ruined an otherwise great ride. Actually saw a bobcat that day down on Peters Creek trail!

Anyways, I'm done ranting. If anyone knows of a good, but inexpensive, mobile window repairer in the south bay, please do pass that info along.
    Man that's such bull. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a quad cab pickup(no trunk) and I always worry about people seeing stuff in the back seat and thinking it might be valuable even though It's just an empty duffel that had my bike shoes, helmet and camelback in there before I started the ride. maybe the rangers who are so busy giving radar tickets should be over there patroling the parking too, those rat bastards.

Derailleurless

Car towed at Saratoga Gap...

I had a funny "incident" in this same parking lot.

I met up with a group of friends and we rode. Upon returning to the parking lot, a couple of my buddies started giggling like little girls. I looked around and something wasn't right -- my car was quite literally turned around from how I parked it in the parking space.

What happened was, poor college slacker that I was, I hadn't paid my vehicle registration and I was a few weeks past due.

Seems the sheriff or CHP or whomever was patrolling the lot, saw my expired tags, and called for a tow truck.

Tow truck driver showed up, dragged me out of the space, hooked me up, but then notified the officer that they couldn't tow a car unless the tags were more than 3 months past.

Officer than said, "oh, yeah". Tow operator reparked my car (facing the opposite direction) and officer left a hand-scribbled note on the windshield saying "oops, sorry -- but you ought to pay the state". Officer was kind enough not to cite me.

Lesson learned. 'Least he didn't bust my glass!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    my crewcab truck was just broken into this week too. not at the trail though, worse, while i was at work and it was parked in a paid garage! mf'ers got off with a gym bag which actually had some valuables in it :/ guess its just in the air.

thinking about getting a truck box that fits in the bed to lock up stuff. would have to mount some brackets to it for bike haulin. anyone use anything like this?

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by drewrok
    my crewcab truck was just broken into this week too. not at the trail though, worse, while i was at work and it was parked in a paid garage! mf'ers got off with a gym bag which actually had some valuables in it :/ guess its just in the air.

thinking about getting a truck box that fits in the bed to lock up stuff. would have to mount some brackets to it for bike haulin. anyone use anything like this?
    I have seen that done before. It's not too different from having a bar going across to mount the forks to. Just that the handlebar will stand up higher, most likely.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Geez!

Well I guess as a general rule don't leave stuff out exposed in your passenger seats. What gets me is that these are the hills above Saratoga, not like it's near the ghetto or something! Plus, it's so petty to go to the trouble of breaking into a car just for a chance that someone left something valuable in a pack of dirty clothes....LAME is all I can say. Sorry to hear this!

Just the same, there are some hillbilly types over the hill in the Boulder Creek area that are probably out for fun preying on the Silicon Valley after work warriors.

Yup, probably best to park in that lot across the intersection, at least it gets a constant flow of cars and motorcycles. Thanks for the heads up on that.
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

Flyin Canine
    I sent an email to MIdpen and they returned this. If you have not already you should contact them and give them the details.

Dear Shane

Thank you for your e-mail concerning auto burglaries in District parking lots. We have increased patrols in the parking lots, and are also working with local law enforcement agencies on this problem. We recommend that anyone visiting a preserve not leave anything of value in their vehicle.

If you talk with anyone who is a victim of this crime, please ask them to contact us so that we can be aware of specific locations where this is occurring.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Gordon
    Gordon Baillie
    Management Analyst/Court Liaison
    Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District

(650) 691-1200 (Office Line)
    (650) 691-0485 (Facsimile)
    [email protected]
    www.OpenSpace.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2000
    Several windows broken at Alpine Road lot too.

Rode there this past weekend, and I couldn't believe how much glass was spewn all over the parking lot at Alpine near the bottom of Windy Hill.

At least 5 windows smashed recently. Don't know how long ago, or if they were all done at the same time, but the place was a mess.

At least somebody had posted a small sign warning of the recent break-ins, and the usual "take your valuables with you" warning.

-g

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    Several windows broken at Alpine Road lot too.

Rode there this past weekend, and I couldn't believe how much glass was spewn all over the parking lot at Alpine near the bottom of Windy Hill.

At least 5 windows smashed recently. Don't know how long ago, or if they were all done at the same time, but the place was a mess.

At least somebody had posted a small sign warning of the recent break-ins, and the usual "take your valuables with you" warning.

-g
    There was a lot of glass on Highland just outside of SDF this weekend. It looked like at least one car had it's window(s) smashed.