Car crashes into Performance Bike shop in Mtn View- Mtbr.com
    Mtn View, CA

Car crashes into Performance Bike shop in Mtn View

Hadn't seen this reported here yet:

Mountain View Online : UPDATE: Car crash shutters bike shop

Apparently the woman's foot slipped off the brake and onto the accelerator. One of the guys I ride with is the claims adjuster working on this for Performance. He told me it could take weeks for the city to issue permits to allow Performance to even just temporarily fix the wall. They'll have to pay out lost business as part of the claim. Most of the helmets just fell off the shelves but due to liability will have to be scrapped. There were a couple of bikes in the window that got run over but he's not sure what will happen to them.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Same thing happened with an old lady at a Rock and Road Cyclery down in Orange County about a year ago. What's that saying.... "Once is an accident, twice is coincidence...."

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I smell a scratch-n-dent sale....

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Same thing happened with an old lady at a Rock and Road Cyclery down in Orange County about a year ago.
    You sure she wasn't from Pasadena!

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Not sure where the driver was from but the store was in OC.
    Rock N' Road Cyclery car crashes through store - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Not sure where the driver was from but the store was in OC.
    Rock N' Road Cyclery car crashes through store - YouTube
    That one went right over your head

The Little Old Lady from Pasadena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Nah man. That was a bad pull. The LOLFP had her **** together. I think you would have had to go Ms. Magoo or something in that direction.

The story I heard on this deal was that the lady was still standing on the throttle with the front bumper stopped against the back wall and one of the RnR employees had to reach in and turn off the ignition.

mtbr member
    Was she driving a Toyota? I hear that the accelerators are messed up on those...
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

Wēk Sôs
    old drivers are bad.

i got into an auto accident with an old driver. she couldn't hear me honking as she ran me over 3 lanes of a local road (2 lanes + turn lane). I drove up the curb in the middle, still laying on the horn right next to her and she still didn't hear. Still kept on coming in.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like how the city can get someone out there within hours to declare the structure unsafe but it takes weeks to get a permit to fix it

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    They need to outlaw automatics. Much harder to be a retard with a stickshift.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    I like how the city can get someone out there within hours to declare the structure unsafe but it takes weeks to get a permit to fix it
    Permit takes a few hours...What they need to do to get the permit is taking a while SMARTY
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    old drivers are bad.

i got into an auto accident with an old driver. she couldn't hear me honking as she ran me over 3 lanes of a local road (2 lanes + turn lane). I drove up the curb in the middle, still laying on the horn right next to her and she still didn't hear. Still kept on coming in.
    I wouldent look for it to get better any time soon. The baby boomers are going to continue to be generational bulles till the ground claims them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Permit takes a few hours...What they need to do to get the permit is taking a while SMARTY
    You mean, trying to track down a day when you aren't riding on this side of the hill?

mtbr member
    I believe Rox was talking about the building department in San Jose....that is weeks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I can believe it takes that long to get a permit in Mt. View, they seem to move at a glacial pace in that city. I am trying to get some use regulations for Shoreline Park and Stevens Creek Trail changed and I brought the issue up with the city parks dept. in late Jan., early Feb. of this year. I'll finally be allowed to bring up the issue to the committee that deals with this at the end of May and that is only to get the issue added to the agenda of the meeting three months later. So it'll be around the end of August, early Sep. before the issue will even be discussed.

It seems like the city gov't. folks think they are some elite class that us citizens can only approach when invited rather than public servants here to serve us!

A similar thing happened to a friend in San Jose, a car crashed into the front of his restaurant about 6 yrs. ago (Antonella's Ristorante). It took quite a while for the repairs to be done, don't recall if that was permit or insurance related. Although he opened back up for business shortly after that. But there was a couple of sheets of plywood on the front for many months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This really is happening more frequently – old people jamming the gas instead of the brake. The tennis court where I live seems to be a favorite target. Keeps you on your toes, let me tell ya! But, hey, do a little math. The oldest boomers are 66, and 1 in 4 Americans are boomers. The ones jamming the gas (not the brake) at the moment and for many years to come are still “The Greatest Generation” that fought WWII & Korea. A lot of those women will live to 90+, so keep on your toes. The good news is Boomers won’t be driving though store fronts for another 15 years or so. The bad news is that when they do there'll be a heck of a lot more of them. I guess all that can be said is thanks in advance for those massive taxes you’ll be paying keeping ‘em alive an extra 10 - 20 years.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    You mean, trying to track down a day when you aren't riding on this side of the hill?

Damn ...touche.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    I can believe it takes that long to get a permit in Mt. View, they seem to move at a glacial pace in that city. I am trying to get some use regulations for Shoreline Park and Stevens Creek Trail changed and I brought the issue up with the city parks dept. in late Jan., early Feb. of this year. I'll finally be allowed to bring up the issue to the committee that deals with this at the end of May and that is only to get the issue added to the agenda of the meeting three months later. So it'll be around the end of August, early Sep. before the issue will even be discussed.

It seems like the city gov't. folks think they are some elite class that us citizens can only approach when invited rather than public servants here to serve us!

A similar thing happened to a friend in San Jose, a car crashed into the front of his restaurant about 6 yrs. ago (Antonella's Ristorante). It took quite a while for the repairs to be done, don't recall if that was permit or insurance related. Although he opened back up for business shortly after that. But there was a couple of sheets of plywood on the front for many months.
    your dealing with city commissions (politiciansin the making) not the employees.maybe you should join one of the commissions and speed up the snails pace.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Safety Consultant
    nobody got it on helmet cam?

Mtn View, CA
    It wouldn't have been so bad if the inspector hadn't redtagged the building due to structural damage.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    your dealing with city commissions (politiciansin the making) not the employees.maybe you should join one of the commissions and speed up the snails pace.
    Possibility of doing that, but not currently a city resident nor do I work there (although did live and work there in the past). But even the committee/commission meetings are hard to attend, they roughly schedule them 3 months ahead, but that date/time/place can change in the last week depending on the various members schedules. So I, as a public attendee, has to actively follow the web site in the last week to see if the meeting has changed, since I am not "invited" to attend. I guess they want to be REALLY SURE I want to get my issue added to the agenda that they make it hard for me to do that.

And yes, I agree on the committee vs. employee thing, the city employees are fairly responsive, although they really can't work with you. At least they answer their e-mails and phone calls, the committee/commission folks don't.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 05-01-2012 at 11:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This happened at the Backcountry in Truckee except it was a UP Railroad truck that backed into us. Backed right into the shop wall; there were tools and anodized spoke nipples everywhere! I be there are still some spok nipples around. Scotty the mechanic on duty was unhurt but traumatized as he was truing up a wheel when suddenly there was a truck next to the stand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    city of mountain view public works is a special case in and of itself (at least back in late 90s, early 00s when i used to work as a civil engineer w/ projects in the bay area). the city had outsourced engineering plan review and checking to a civil consulting firm, which billed the city hourly. therefore, it was in their best interest to make as many asinine redline markups to engineering drawings as possible, and go thru 4 to 5 iterations before issuing a permit (they would just rack up the billable hours and $$$).

our drawings were always very high quality (we were all certified PEs, and we would often have public works engineers in other cities complimenting us on the quality and accuracy of our work), but in mountain view, the additional detail we showed just meant that we got screwed)

i can give a few idiotic, painful examples upon request.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Possibility of doing that, but not sure if I need to be a city resident and am not (although was in the past). But even the committee/commission meetings are hard to attend, they roughly schedule them 3 months ahead, but that date/time/place can change in the last week depending on the various members schedules. So I, as a public attendee, has to actively follow the web site in the last week to see if the meeting has changed, since I am not "invited" to attend. I guess they want to be REALLY SURE I want to get my issue added to the agenda that they make it hard for me to do that.

And yes, I agree on the committee vs. employee thing, the city employees are fairly responsive, although they really can't work with you. At least they answer their e-mails and phone calls, the committee/commission folks don't.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    i can give a few idiotic, painful examples upon request.
    YES PLEASE! Especially anything regarding their "code enforcement officer!"
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    This is going to get interesting!

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I have heard he is a handsome, young, role model of a government employee, who happens to ride a bike quite well.
    But that just what I heard.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have heard he is a handsome, young, role model of a government employee, who happens to ride a bike quite well.
    ha--what jurisdiction were you working in? 95% of the time permitting was a breeze for us(example: county of santa clara ROW, city of san jose, regional water quality control board, etc etc).

it makes complete sense to carefully review engineering packages prior to issuing a permit, otherwise you'd have clowns tearing up the street destroying water lines, sewage, roads, etc, so i'm definitely in favor of a proper plan review, permitting process.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    example (warning this post may be long-winded, boring and technical):

we had to do some utility work during the design of the 85/101 interchange in mountain view, ca. most of this is caltrans ROW, but there are portions on either side of the interchange that were within city of mountain view ROW (think of the microsoft campus that was new at the time). as part of our package, we had included a traffic control plan for all lane combinations and excavationst. this is not just throwing a few cones out, this is prepared, reviewed and stamped by a registered PE in accordance w/ Caltrans rules for surface street closure (these are typically more stringent then many city requirements).

we submitted the package, and then city of mountain view public works demanded additional traffic control.

city contractor dude making $$$ (took 5+ times to pass the PE like a true fuk-tard): " well, this is good and all, but i don't see a traffic control plan for THIS section" points w/ finger at a construction area that is behind barricades

me: "that area is a construction zone, it is barricaded off with no access for the public. it's also past the end of a dead-end public street that has virtually no traffic"

city dude: "yeah, but a car could drive around the barricade, and then how would you provide control for that traffic?"

me: "unless the car is willing to drive off road over dirt, rocks and broken concrete, there is no public vehicular access. the only paved sections of this dead-end street will be barricaded off to prevent any public access"

city dude: "i don't buy it, cars can get in there, and there will be no way to control that traffic!"

i ended up submitting an engineering drawing of the construction zone w/ the barricades, and threw a couple of little man shaped symbols there (i.e. flaggers to flag any errant cars). 8 hours later we finally got a permit (6+ weeks after plan submittal).

Wēk Sôs
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    threw a couple of little man shaped symbols there
    It seems they need visuals. A mock up with lego might have helped. They might even play with the little guys! Bonus!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe what happened is that the little old lady bought some crappy Forte inner tubes from the store, pulled out of the lot, then turned around and intentionally slammed her car into the store screaming, "NO, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BECOMING A F(*^%&ING PERFORMANCE TEAM MEMBER, MOTHERF)(*&&ER!!!!"

mtbr member
    I heard that the little old lady said that the "bike store was acting like it owned the road + it rolled a stop sign earlier, so I wanted to teach it a lesson".
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

Mtn View, CA
    Don't know if someone pulled some strings but the store is open.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    More likely the on call engineer is a junior guy who reflexively answers no when the answer is not an obvious "yes". With a more experienced guy and the dust settled it was probably not as bad as it looked at first.

Master of '80s BMX tricks

retard here...

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    They need to outlaw automatics. Much harder to be a retard with a stickshift.
    yeah, did i ever tell you about the time i started my 5-speed Honda while it was parked in 1st gear and it actually started up and rolled over 2 parking blocks before stalling back out again?

I probably didn't mention it because even I thought I was retarded for doing so!

(disclaimer: the person previously driving it left it in first, whereas i usually left it in neutral with the E-brake set. it only happened once tho.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I heard the dude was a lazy sloth that rolled into work late with some bright blue bike attached to the end of his SUV. He looks for any excuse to roll out early and check for "enforcement violations" on trails not in his jurisdiction.

I won't mention, I saw him early Wed. morning...nope...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    It seems they need visuals. A mock up with lego might have helped. They might even play with the little guys! Bonus!
    Dif one of them resemble the debonair young MV public works employee with the mad cycling skills? I heard that helps...

Members who have read this thread: 0