mtbr member

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.

Has anyone had their car broken into at the local trailheads?

My car just got broken into today at Calero Park parking lot. It is such a safe area too. Came back to my car to see this. Didn't get my bike because I was riding it, but stole a lot of stuff. Evil.

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_20180710-25.jpg
    Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_20180710-25.1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_20180710_204921978_ll.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    damn it!!

i've been lucky so far. but i keep ZERO in my truck.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ive been broken into twice. Auburn confluence and Salmon Falls.
    Iíve seen car glass several times at confluence. Sometimes even mid-day Saturday.

Now I donít leave ANYTHING visible if I leave a car at the trailhead.
    AND I have signs I put in the car windows saying ďnothing of value left in this carĒ

No problems since then.

Also, Iíve now started seeing glass at some of the Tahoe trailheads. Sad to see it happening here too.

Bottom line. Take your wallet, keys and phone with you.
    Donít leave anything that looks interesting in your car.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    If possible, post time, date, exact located when it occurred.

It's happened to every trailhead around in the last 10 years so getting a sense of time will give us a better idea of the current hot spots.
    IPA will save America

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurf2xs View Post
    Ive been broken into twice. Auburn confluence and Salmon Falls.
    Iíve seen car glass several times at confluence. Sometimes even mid-day Saturday.

Now I donít leave ANYTHING visible if I leave a car at the trailhead.
    AND I have signs I put in the car windows saying ďnothing of value left in this carĒ

No problems since then.

Also, Iíve now started seeing glass at some of the Tahoe trailheads. Sad to see it happening here too.

Bottom line. Take your wallet, keys and phone with you.
    Donít leave anything that looks interesting in your car.
    I'll never forget the time we rode Salmon Falls, got back to the trailhead and the SUV was GONE. The driver had "hidden" the keys in the vehicle to "save weight" on the ride.

D'oh.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've been lucky but figure my time will come one of these days. When I go out with sole purpose of riding I will take my ID, 1 debit card & small amount of cash which I put in my shorts or otherwise on my person. I try to leave nothing but a change of clothes in my car. Spots like Salmon Falls I'll try to take my old beat up pickup and leave doors unlocked. Most people would open the door, take a whiff and back away... stink as a theft deterrent. The only thing I would worry about losing would be the registration.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I'll never forget the time we rode Salmon Falls, got back to the trailhead and the SUV was GONE.

D'oh.

Oh man that takes the cake, that must've been a shock. I've been partially lucky, wise or not I don't lock my car, I leave nothing of value, but peeps have got in there and rustled around, took nothing (one time ate a granola bar), but the saving grace is they didn't break window for that bar. I also have always had manual cars, I swear it in itself is an anti-theft device as I believe only 9-10% cars are stick. A friend of mine had someone take a dump on his front seat, what a treat!

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Condolences.
    You simply cannot leave anything visible in your vehicle, junkies are everywhere.
    But even that does not work 100% of the time, I lost all my bike gear a few summers ago the one time I left my bag in the trunk overnight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    If you do want to leave valuables in the car, these things are great: Console Vault¬ģ | Buy Direct For Lowest Price + Free Shipping

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    If you do want to leave valuables in the car
    Nope.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

It's happened to every trailhead around in the last 10 years so getting a sense of time will give us a better idea of the current hot spots.
    I've not been broken into yet but I sure have noticed more glass at trail heads. I will make notes where I see this and update this thread.

MB

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    It happens all the time on Channel dr. @ Annadel, too. Beware any of you coming up this way. There are better places to park.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

EAT MORE GRIME
    this is the main reason I park 5 or more miles away from any trailhead

and roll in (when time permits)...also the 5 mile warmup is nice to hit the trail with..

sucks on meaty tires but hey theft sucks worse
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    This has been going on since the beginning of time....and things are only going to get worse in this state with the legislation that has been passed the last 2-3 years. My advice is to NEVER leave anything in plain view when possible.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Really, no trail head or parking lot is safe. These criminals hunt, use lookouts, walk by looking in windows, smash & grab. Sad state of affairs. Police can't stop 'em.

mtbr member
    The one reason I wish I still had my sedan with fully enclosed locking trunk rather than my new truck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

It happened at Calero Park parking lot on McKean Rd. Tuesday around 8-8:30pm. My car was parked right in the middle of the lot. Really surprised it happened there because I grew up in that area. It is very safe with a ton of traffic on McKean Rd. I see rangers passing constantly in front of the park. Ironically, when I got back to my car a ranger was there in the parking lot.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaser View Post
    *Quoted post deleted and user banned*
    Huh.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Huh.
    turned his chicklet for ya.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Didn't see that coming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareamtnbiker View Post
    Really, no trail head or parking lot is safe. These criminals hunt, use lookouts, walk by looking in windows, smash & grab. Sad state of affairs. Police can't stop 'em.
    Yep. A medical condo I am associated with that used to be my dad's business has gotten broken into about 20 times the last 10 years. About 6 times in last couple years. It is very rare the criminal gets caught because they don't use much in time and resources to search for the criminals. Criminals seem to know that too.

mtbr member
    I blame this thread.

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_5627.jpg

This morning at the Redwood Bowl staging parking lot for Redwood park... They looked through my gear bag which had a windbreaker and some old clothes in it and didn't take anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    I blame this thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5627.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	1207789

This morning at the Redwood Bowl staging parking lot for Redwood park... They looked through my gear bag which had a windbreaker and some old clothes in it and didn't take anything.
    Sorry. Ouch, that sucks. Evil. At least they didn't take anything. In my robbery, they took stuff that will cost $3000.00 bucks to replace the stuff stolen from my car. However, it isn't worth as much on the open market and less than half that. A lot of the stuff criminals stole will be tough to pawn.

Everyone says you shouldn't leave stuff in your car, but I practically have to because I am using the stuff in my car virtually every day. It is almost like I live out of my car and my livelihood. I need an armored car or tank.
    Last edited by aliikane; 07-13-2018 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I believe most cars have alarms these days... So these thieves set off the car alarms when they break in? It doesn't deter them?

mtbr member
    I always leave the glove compartment and console open to try and convey the message to any peeping eyes that 'I know youre lookin, and I aint got nuttin'.

So far so good
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Just wipe everything down with Poison Oak leaves. That will teach them! Either that or borrow your ex wifes car, then leave it in front of a bus zone with the broken window. That will teach her! Seriously, this is kind of a good thread to have, to monitor hot spots.

mtbr member
    For anyone else around Oakland if you have similar misfortune, I was able to get a new window from LE Glass in an hour! Fortunately the window that was broken was super easy to replace with just a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench so I did it myself and didn't have to pay for or wait for labor. Only out $80 for the whole drama. Could have been a lot worse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Everyone says you shouldn't leave stuff in your car, but I practically have to because I am using the stuff in my car virtually every day. It is almost like I live out of my car and my livelihood. I need an armored car or tank.
    If you have an SUV, then a locked toolbox/safe installed in the cargo area will keep you protected. Most of my buddies who have work vehicles and expensive sensor equipment and electronics have one installed. glass is quick and easy to repair (relatively), but the equipment with data on it is real expensive because of materials + time to regather the data.

If you have a car, then put it all in the trunk. If you have a truck, then a toolbox in the bed. If the thief is truly motivated, you are just ****ed and can chalk it up to life being a bitch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiagrown View Post
    If you have an SUV, then a locked toolbox/safe installed in the cargo area will keep you protected. Most of my buddies who have work vehicles and expensive sensor equipment and electronics have one installed. glass is quick and easy to repair (relatively), but the equipment with data on it is real expensive because of materials + time to regather the data.

If you have a car, then put it all in the trunk. If you have a truck, then a toolbox in the bed. If the thief is truly motivated, you are just ****ed and can chalk it up to life being a bitch.

I'd like to boobie trap the car. That would be the best. Like the "The Blank Box". Even better gun shot sounding or explosive sounding car alarms. Haha.

mtbr member
    I'd like to boobie trap the car. That would be the best. Like the "The Blank Box". Even better gun shot sounding or explosive sounding car alarms. Haha.
    Iím gonna give you to the count of 10 to get your ugly, yellow, no-good keister off my property before I pump your guts full of lead.

One. Two. Ten!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately boobie or man traps are Hella illegal

Not helpful.
    Speaking of booby traps, did you see where Stormy Daniels was busted (ha!) for letting a customer touch her?

Talk about your booby traps!

Elitest thrill junkie
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Finch Platte again.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post

The Blank Box is not illegal and kind of a boobie trap or maybe more like a crime prank. All it does it make noise to scare the crap out of criminals. The guy is selling them.
    Last edited by aliikane; 07-14-2018 at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I believe most cars have alarms these days... So these thieves set off the car alarms when they break in? It doesn't deter them?
    Itís amazing to see how fast these auto burglars are. Theyíll be in and out in 10-15 seconds most of the time. The pros just grab bags, and check super obvious places, then sort and ditch later. The skilled and practiced thieves can easily hit 30-40 cars in a days ďwork.Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

fading away
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    So is crime and general break-ins; who will side with who when a serial burglar is brought to face the permanent sting of vigilante justice? Gas grenades and/or electrocution traps for the win; (another semicolon; love them I do) just shove the body out into some brush and be on your way knowing that one less assmaster is on the loose wreaking havoc upon society.
    in this dying light

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    My friend just had his car busted into today (Friday July 13) in Auburn. For this story we'll call him Buddy.

Buddy was parked at Russell Road at top of Stagecoach in Auburn. Mid-morning. Saw two tweaker looking people who made themselves scarce when Buddy pulled up, and another dude who we will call Dude.

Dude walked up being friendly, small talk, etc. Looked reputable, decent clothes, etc. Asked if Buddy was just heading out for a ride or wrapping up. Buddy said he's just getting ready to start. More small talk. Dude walks down Russell Road as if going home; Buddy thought it was a local just heading home.

Buddy takes his time getting ready for ride, cruises down Russell Road to hit Manzanita, and notices Dude still standing on the side of the road. Buddy doesn't think much of it and continues his ride.

Buddy completes ride, goes home, amd gets frantic call from wife. "Do you have your wallet?" Buddy does. "We'll check!" Buddy checks. Asks wife WTF? Then notices credit cards gone from wallet. Someone had used a bump key to get into Buddy's car. Just emptied wallet of plastic, but left license, etc. Crook put wallet back in it's hidey place when he was done, then had a shopping spree at Target. Not sure if Dude was a friendly local, or working alone, or working with tweakers, or if tweakers working.....who knows?

Russell Road is not safe.

I've gotten the collywobbles in Auburn a couple times for no particular reason. It's one of the reasons I've been skipping it lately and either doing Folsom or finding an excuse time hit South Lake.

When going to Folsom I have a bike shop I'm friends with and can stash my keys and wallet with them. That's huge. I'm South Lake I leave nothing in the vehicle except spare food, fresh socks and stinky Crocs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.

Moderator Moderator
    The worst thing you can do is leave food in your car in Yosemite.

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-truck_bear-trapped-inside-4.jpg

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post

Name:	truck_bear-trapped-inside-4.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	1208058
    Huh. That looks like my car on a normal day.

mtbr member
    Ive been lucky but i never leave things visible. Only incident for me was at Salmon Falls free parking before bridge, 2009ish. Several car windows were blown out including a friends where all they got was his gym bag. They tried breaking my Tundra left rear window but unsuccessful. I hope that whatever they hit it with bounced back into their face. Ive heard of other incidents here as well. But its anywhere. You really just gotta hide shit and take valuables with you or leave at home.

Not helpful.
    For anyone else around Oakland if you have similar misfortune, I was able to get a new window from LE Glass in an hour! Fortunately the window that was broken was super easy to replace with just a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench so I did it myself and didn't have to pay for or wait for labor. Only out $80 for the whole drama. Could have been a lot worse.
    I went to high school with a girl named Ellie Glass.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    My friend just had his car busted into today (Friday July 13) in Auburn. For this story we'll call him Buddy.

Buddy was parked at Russell Road at top of Stagecoach in Auburn. Mid-morning. Saw two tweaker looking people who made themselves scarce when Buddy pulled up, and another dude who we will call Dude.

Dude walked up being friendly, small talk, etc. Looked reputable, decent clothes, etc. Asked if Buddy was just heading out for a ride or wrapping up. Buddy said he's just getting ready to start. More small talk. Dude walks down Russell Road as if going home; Buddy thought it was a local just heading home.

Buddy takes his time getting ready for ride, cruises down Russell Road to hit Manzanita, and notices Dude still standing on the side of the road. Buddy doesn't think much of it and continues his ride.

Buddy completes ride, goes home, amd gets frantic call from wife. "Do you have your wallet?" Buddy does. "We'll check!" Buddy checks. Asks wife WTF? Then notices credit cards gone from wallet. Someone had used a bump key to get into Buddy's car. Just emptied wallet of plastic, but left license, etc. Crook put wallet back in it's hidey place when he was done, then had a shopping spree at Target. Not sure if Dude was a friendly local, or working alone, or working with tweakers, or if tweakers working.....who knows?

I've gotten the collywobbles in Auburn a couple times for no particular reason. It's one of the reasons I've been skipping it lately and either doing Folsom or finding an excuse time hit South Lake.

When going to Folsom I have a bike shop I'm friends with and can stash my keys and wallet with them. That's huge. I'm South Lake I leave nothing in the vehicle except spare food, fresh socks and stinky Crocs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    If he keeps his registration in his car, theives probably took pic that info, and they know when he is gone riding (mid day on Fridays). Could have gotten code off of his garage door opener too, to use at address on registration. I vote to cut theives hands off, however I am in the minority.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The new mindset and the lack of enforcement and consequences surrounding property crime is going to eventually lead to crisis levels. It is effecting all of us economically in one way or another and especially infuriating when it happens to you personally.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Name:	truck_bear-trapped-inside-4.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	1208058
    Holy #$@&!!
    Is that your truck? Bears are amazing creatures, especially their nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Holy #$@&!!
    Is that your truck? Bears are amazing creatures, especially their nose.
    No, that's an interweb screen grab. Glad it's not my truck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Has anyone had their car broken into at the local trailheads?

My car just got broken into today at Calero Park parking lot. It is such a safe area too. Came back to my car to see this. Didn't get my bike because I was riding it, but stole a lot of stuff. Evil.

Name:	IMG_20180710 25.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	1207608

Name:	IMG_20180710 25.1.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	1207609
    That's terrible. I went once to Calero in the evening and it was pretty quiet. There was a runner and a couple that was just there for the sunset. Lots of deer around the trail, so kinda got me spooked after the mountain lion attack recently.

Great place for late aft/evening ride - but looks like you were there late as well? I think I'll stick to going there during the day from now on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Ive been lucky but i never leave things visible. Only incident for me was at Salmon Falls free parking before bridge, 2009ish. Several car windows were blown out including a friends where all they got was his gym bag. They tried breaking my Tundra left rear window but unsuccessful. I hope that whatever they hit it with bounced back into their face. Ive heard of other incidents here as well. But its anywhere. You really just gotta hide shit and take valuables with you or leave at home.
    None of the stuff was visible and was covered. Also, my windows are tinted so it is very difficult to really see anything. The only thing that may of been visible was my empty Under Armour duffle bag that I use to carry my mtb gear around. I have had quite a few car break-ins over the years, but this one was the worst one for sure because insurance was only able to cover the window. There is really no good coverage for personal items stolen unless you have renter's insurance because deductibles are low.

mtbr member

What a weird coincidence. I was referred to and used LE auto glass as well, but in SJ. Strange. Did you know that?

mtbr member
    Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-spidermen.jpg

Air Pirate

Name:	spidermen.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	1208366
    Supaidaman will save us!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-dsc02093.jpg

I spotted Supaidaman in Kobe, Japan. He seems to be doing a good job in Japan because there is virtually no crime in Japan. Car break-ins are very rare.
    Last edited by aliikane; 07-17-2018 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post

I've gotten the collywobbles in Auburn a couple times for no particular reason...

Shih-Tay! Thats my go to spot! Ive never seen glass in the parking lot either, and even during the week it gets a lot of traffic between trail users and local folk driving past.
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    There should be a dedicated thread just for only break-ins to keep people aware of the crimes in the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Parked at the bottom of Mills Peak last week. Some dude and his buddy both had their cars broken into. The thieves missed the wallet and cash, but got the weed and hearing aids. WTF?! Definitely not a spot I would even think twice about, until now.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    So is crime and general break-ins; who will side with who when a serial burglar is brought to face the permanent sting of vigilante justice? Gas grenades and/or electrocution traps for the win; (another semicolon; love them I do) just shove the body out into some brush and be on your way knowing that one less assmaster is on the loose wreaking havoc upon society.
    Serial burglars that keep stealing stuff under 950 get a sitation and don't bother to show up or pay it. I could name the prop that had great intentions, but bad unintened consequences.

All spelling errors are due to wine.........a good one..............no I don't share.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

wretch
    Mills really? Damn...thought we were safe up there. Truckee does not have trail head problems per say but last summer there was that string of operating out of SF but targeting Truckee.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017...san-francsico/

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Mills really? Damn...thought we were safe up there. Truckee does not have trail head problems per say but last summer there was that string of operating out of SF but targeting Truckee.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017...san-francsico/
    That's awesome (I know, from 2017). I keep saying it- they need their hands cut off.

wretch
    That's awesome (I know, from 2017). I keep saying it- they need their hands cut off.
    Right? Outlaw justice has to survive in the Lost Sierras somewhere...

mtbr member

Stop stupid car thieves

I have a battery disconnect switch on the positive terminal of my Tacoma. This truck is one of the most stolen vehicles. It goes between the terminal and the battery and is very easy to install. To use it, I simply turn the green knob and the battery is disconnected.

I mostly use it at trailheads and other sketchy places. There are two downsides. I have to open the hood to disconnect the battery and open it again to reconnect. And, the radio loses it's presets. A newer vehicle (this is a 1999 tacoma) may lose more settings - use this at your own peril.

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-battery-switch.jpg
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    Parked at the bottom of Mills Peak last week. Some dude and his buddy both had their cars broken into. The thieves missed the wallet and cash, but got the weed and hearing aids. WTF?! Definitely not a spot I would even think twice about, until now.
    Rode Mills this past weekend. Saw the broken glass at the take out so we parked by in town by the mill pond.

Co Springs

Advertise nothingness !

Sucks to see this happening all the time.
    We get it here too where I see crumbled glass in parking lots or see the stories in the local paper every so often.

Difficult to have a plan. Even a bone-dry empty car staged to show off nothing on the seats or any items left in it may be a target for the glove box assuming a desperate ID thief is on the prowl.

That's my primary tactic- Nothing visible in the car. Even a left over windbreaker crumpled up can be thought of as hiding some valuables under it - and a target.
    My wagon has the pull cover to hide stuff in the cargo area and although I use it a lot when shopping or at other areas, as for trailheads, I tend to think it's best to leave the back open if nothing is in there. Show off your nothingness if possible.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    Rode Mills this past weekend. Saw the broken glass at the take out so we parked by in town by the mill pond.

Mills Peak too? Wow!! Crimes off opportunity in any area I guess. Over there though, a vehicle can be fully loaded em route home.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    How about placing mouse traps in a few locations inside the vehicle?

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    How about placing mouse traps in a few locations inside the vehicle?

If it were mice breaking into the cars, they probably wouldn't smash the window. They'd sneek in through the wheel wells or something.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    If it were mice breaking into the cars, they probably wouldn't smash the window. They'd sneek in through the wheel wells or something.
    Also, the cheese would smell up the car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ok, how about a small motion activated laser beam or a mini-sledge that swings down from the ceiling and smack them in the head?

Co Springs
    Ok, how about a small motion activated laser beam or a mini-sledge that swings down from the ceiling and smack them in the head?
    Sounds good on the face but maybe too good.
    That's known as Reverse Engineering.

Implementing a concept encouraging our want to witness such an engieering feat we'd WANT the car broke into.

There seems to be no viable answer to this conundrum.

Not helpful.
    Sounds good on the face but maybe too good.
    That's known as Reverse Engineering.

Implementing a concept encouraging our want to witness such an engieering feat we'd WANT the car broke into.

There seems to be no viable answer to this conundrum.
    I would gladly pay a small amount to have a volunteer(s) keep an eye on the parking lot during our ride. With enough people chipping in, it might be a lucrative job for someone.

Not helpful.
    Also, the cheese would smell up the car.
    That would be the *least* bad smell after a ride. Especially after the burrito stop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Will-Y-Coyote would be proud!

I vote for the Acme Shock-o-Matic.

While doors are locked via fob ... sense change in chassis impedance to ground & activate a 50kv bias on chassis to ground for 1-2 seconds. Loop back to sense & repeat as necessary. :-)

Catfish ...

Co Springs
    I would gladly pay a small amount to have a volunteer(s) keep an eye on the parking lot during our ride. With enough people chipping in, it might be a lucrative job for someone.
    See ? You've fallen for their trap.

If they know the car is worth paying a babysitter, they'll know it is worth stealing or breaking into.

Better off to let 'them' witness you getting out of the car, peeing on tires and kicking in the door panel then swearing at it. After this Academy Award performance, they'll want no part of that car or even getting near it.

Air Pirate
    Saw this product on Flipboard today....made me think of this thread...what do you guys think of this?

Owl Car Cam - Video security for your car

I don't have anything to do with this company, just thought it might have an application here...deterrent to MTB parking lot break-in thieves as well as evidence collection if they do get in - has 14 day loop storage. Dual HD cameras. It senses bumps, impacts, and glass breaking...sends you video alerts on your phone as well as constant recording when parked. Has some sort of "beacon" to show it is active. Also acts as dashcam when driving.

Pricing is around $350 for camera and a year of service...which might seem expensive to some people but when you compare the cost of mountain bikes, parts, and gear these days this is nothing (i.e. compare to price of an SRAM Eagle XX1 12 speed cassette at $450....a "consumable" part).

mtbr member
    Saw this product on Flipboard today....made me think of this thread...what do you guys think of this?

Owl Car Cam - Video security for your car

I don't have anything to do with this company, just thought it might have an application here...deterrent to MTB parking lot break-in thieves as well as evidence collection if they do get in - has 14 day loop storage. Dual HD cameras. It senses bumps, impacts, and glass breaking...sends you video alerts on your phone as well as constant recording when parked. Has some sort of "beacon" to show it is active. Also acts as dashcam when driving.

Pricing is around $350 for camera and a year of service...which might seem expensive to some people but when you compare the cost of mountain bikes, parts, and gear these days this is nothing (i.e. compare to price of an SRAM Eagle XX1 12 speed cassette at $450....a "consumable" part).

I am associated with a medical condominium that has been broken into about 6 times the last couple years. Every single time they have gotten surveillance video of the robbers but rarely anybody gets caught because not a lot of time is spent on smaller robberies where only a few thousand was stolen. Police depts are short handed and don't have time to investigate every small robbery. I think the only real defense is to have good insurance and/or lock everything up inside the car.

Air Pirate
    I am associated with a medical condominium that has been broken into about 6 times the last couple years. Every single time they have gotten surveillance video of the robbers but rarely anybody gets caught because not a lot of time is spent on smaller robberies where only a few thousand was stolen. Police depts are short handed and don't have time to investigate every small robbery. I think the only real defense is to have good insurance and/or lock everything up inside the car.
    Sorry to hear you are not getting any assistance from your local law enforcement agency.

Your statement of "not a lot of time is spent on smaller robberies where only a few thousand was stolen"...and your noting law enforcement is "short handed" and "don't have time to investigate every small robbery" is a very telling thing.....the problem of them not focusing on these crimes is probably not 100 percent due to what you have stated. Due to the reduction of these types of crimes from felony to misdemeanor law enforcement's focus is moved away from reacting to and investigating such things. Thank the voting public of California for that one. When investigators decide on what to pursue in an LE agency caseload felonies will get time, effort, and resources thrown at them...misdemeanors not as much.

By the way, these are burglaries, not robberies.....burglary is when someone illegally enters your property or vehicle for the commission of a crime, robbery is when someone threatens you with harm and takes something from you (there is an in-person element and fear-of-harm element at work here). Robbery would get focus of law enforcement as it is still a felony.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sorry to hear you are not getting any assistance from your local law enforcement agency.

Your statement of "not a lot of time is spent on smaller robberies where only a few thousand was stolen"...and your noting law enforcement is "short handed" and "don't have time to investigate every small robbery" is a very telling thing.....the problem of them not focusing on these crimes is probably not 100 percent due to what you have stated. Due to the reduction of these types of crimes from felony to misdemeanor law enforcement's focus is moved away from reacting to and investigating such things. Thank the voting public of California for that one. When investigators decide on what to pursue in an LE agency caseload felonies will get time, effort, and resources thrown at them...misdemeanors not as much.

By the way, these are burglaries, not robberies.....burglary is when someone illegally enters your property or vehicle for the commission of a crime, robbery is when someone threatens you with harm and takes something from you (there is an in-person element and fear-of-harm element at work here). Robbery would get focus of law enforcement as it is still a felony.
    What crimes do you think should be downgraded in order to free up time/resources so that these burglaries can receive the attention some say they deserve?

mtbr member

Of course probably not 100%. Nothing is 100%. However, I am just repeating what the police told the business owner. The business owner of the medical condominium has a friend that is a police officer and has visited several times after the "burglaries" (my bad for using robberies before) to discuss them. They said the police were short handed. So, from a logistically point of view, they can't possibly investigate all the "burglaries" that occur in the area. Very unfortunate that there is so many "burglaries".

Air Pirate
    Nice use of quotes.

The situation for everyone in California, including your business owner and everyone who parks their vehicle to go mountain biking....the risk of burglary is greater now than it has ever been due to the "de-fanging" of the penal code...the lowering from felony to misdemeanor and the resulting inability of law enforcement to pursue the criminals have emboldened the dirtbags who participate in such thefts. Since they most likely will not be investigated, most likely will not get caught, and if they do will only face what amounts to the penalty of a parking ticket...well...business is booming for them with low risk and lots of potential targets.

Since we are not allowed to booby trap our vehicles or property, what can we do to deter these bad-guys? The camera I posted about is one option, any other ideas? Valet parking at trailheads? Establish some sort of semi-legal vigilante group like the Guardian Angels from back in the 80's to watch over vehicle parking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Nice use of quotes.

The situation for everyone in California, including your business owner and everyone who parks their vehicle to go mountain biking....the risk of burglary is greater now than it has ever been due to the "de-fanging" of the penal code...the lowering from felony to misdemeanor and the resulting inability of law enforcement to pursue the criminals have emboldened the dirtbags who participate in such thefts. Since they most likely will not be investigated, most likely will not get caught, and if they do will only face what amounts to the penalty of a parking ticket...well...business is booming for them with low risk and lots of potential targets.

Since we are not allowed to booby trap our vehicles or property, what can we do to deter these bad-guys? The camera I posted about is one option, any other ideas? Valet parking at trailheads? Establish some sort of semi-legal vigilante group like the Guardian Angels from back in the 80's to watch over vehicle parking?
    The answer, obviously, is shatterproof windows. I wonder how much extra it would cost to throw on some kind of ballistics glass? Any other big downsides besides cost?

In anycase, do you have an ideas on what crimes should be downgraded to misdemeanors to allow for burglaries to be upgraded to felonies? Only so much manpower and resources to go around, so to spend time on car burglaries means taking time from other crimes, right? Or do we just give more money to PDs to allow for more time/resources? But then what programs do we cut, or do we just raise taxes?

Air Pirate
    The answer, obviously, is shatterproof windows. I wonder how much extra it would cost to throw on some kind of ballistics glass? Any other big downsides besides cost?

In anycase, do you have an ideas on what crimes should be downgraded to misdemeanors to allow for burglaries to be upgraded to felonies? Only so much manpower and resources to go around, so to spend time on car burglaries means taking time from other crimes, right? Or do we just give more money to PDs to allow for more time/resources? But then what programs do we cut, or do we just raise taxes?
    Why should crimes be downgraded just to make up for politicians and bureaucrats mismanaging our tax dollars? Change laws not because of anything having to do with the interest of justice but for some perverse form of creative bookkeeping? Yes, there is only so much manpower and resources to go around...an increase in funding would allow law enforcement to work proactively, by working better strategies that increased staffing and resources would allow, instead of constantly working reactively, going from call-to-call as quick as possible, clearing as quick as possible, and giving heavy crimes all the focus like they do under the current funding.

As far as where that funding comes from? More taxes? Hell no. Cut "programs"? Government funds way too many "programs" that take away funding from basic needs of the general public. Law enforcement, fire protection, schools...they all lack due to many, many "programs" sucking up the tax dollars. Yes, I have a few ideas of what could be cut from the state and local budgets....but as my ideas no doubt would piss anyone off that does not think how I do this is all I will say about it here. Short answer: yes, cut programs that do not satisfy basic public need for safety and education.

As far as your suggestion about ballistic windows for vehicles...you can get those..they are legal...tend to be expensive. There are films, panels, and full window replacements.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I have a battery disconnect switch on the positive terminal of my Tacoma. This truck is one of the most stolen vehicles. It goes between the terminal and the battery and is very easy to install. To use it, I simply turn the green knob and the battery is disconnected.
    Are immobilizers not a thing anymore? I would think one of those would do the same job with less hassle.

Dual HD cameras. It senses bumps, impacts, and glass breaking...sends you video alerts on your phone as well as constant recording when parked. Has some sort of "beacon" to show it is active. Also acts as dashcam when driving.
    The problem with video is it often isn't high enough quality, or shot at the right angle, or shot with the right lighting to be able to identify someone. Or maybe their face is covered. Then all you get to do is watch them steal your stuff with nothing you can do about it. Had this happen a couple times with cameras at work. Only thing it was useful for is if the alarm went off I could log in and check the video and dispatch police if it wasn't a false alarm.

If they can't break your window they might just break the door lock instead. Shatterproof glass might save you the first time, but if determined they'll be back with more tools. And they might be wondering what is inside that needs protecting. Vehicles were getting broken into all the time when I lived in Vancouver. Never had a window smashed, instead they stick a big screwdriver in the lock and torque on it until they can open the door. It's more expensive to fix since they bend the door panel in addition to needing a new lock. After a couple times I stopped locking my doors and left nothing inside the truck. Every few days I'd come back and the glove box or console had been rifled through, but no loss as there was absolutely nothing to take.

I've had my truck broken into a couple times down here at trailheads. Both times I probably should have known better and parked elsewhere. I try to never park at trailheads known to have frequent break ins. I'll park elsewhere and ride in instead. If a place seems sketchy I'll park elsewhere. I try to leave as little as possible or nothing in sight inside. Can't do that on road trips obviously and one of the breakins was on a trip. So just try to be more careful where I park. Eventually you'll get hit, it's impossible to prevent without leaving someone to stand guard. Never ever leave wallet, phone or keys in the car. And I often take garage remote with me. Registration is well hidden.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    There was broken glass all over the parking lot at the Salmon Falls/Darrington trailhead yesterday. Also, it looked like someone ripped down the wooden sign about 100 meters up the trail. There was wooden debris everywhere.

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EDHeric View Post
    There was broken glass all over the parking lot at the Salmon Falls/Darrington trailhead yesterday. Also, it looked like someone ripped down the wooden sign about 100 meters up the trail. There was wooden debris everywhere.
    In the parking area or on the road? Seems like there's always glass in the parking area, less so on the road. Even though I have a pass I park on the road for this very reason. Although a few years ago I caught two shifty looking dudes clearly looking for cars to break in there (as I mentioned in a thread here somewhere when it happened).

As far as the sign goes that's a bummer but if I recall it's been looking pretty sad for awhile. I'd be interested in helping get it back together. Perhaps FATRAC can spearhead?

mtbr member
    This thread makes me think maybe I should be locking my truck.
    Last edited by Cuyuna; 09-24-2018 at 09:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Had my car broken into last christmas day at China Camp around 8am. I now park inside the park, because it's $5 to park + ride, and $3 to ride. Always concerned now with parking at trailheads. Not really sure what to do about it except to hope for the best.

mtbr member
    I parked in the south Los Padres years back. Was just going to ride for a few hours. Came back to my 1991 22RE 4wd, and someone had a field day with my truck. Stereo and all of the components were gone. Window broken and they took the effing battery. they appeared to have tried to steal the truck but couldn't figure out I had an ignition switch . If they did, it's be gone. I'm 65 miles from anything, and I'm like "now what" am I going to do? I seriously considered pedaling the 8 miles to the pavement.. I built a fire and at about 10pm, my old dad came driving along.. LUCKY..

And since that day I have asked the question.. What's worse? Or better for parking in BFE? Old POS car, wagon whatever, or something super new that has a bunch of proprietary parts and whatnot.. On one hand, the old car is probably the worst because the parts are interchangeable. What's the best car to leave parked in the boonies?

mtbr member
    There have been quite a few smash and grabs along route 9 this summer. There is even broken glass at the end of Broncos/D-Cup on Empire grade. For those of you coming to ride Santa Cruz, I recommend parking in Felton and riding to the trailhead or using the main parking at Golf Club Drive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm on board if we can have sharks with lasers.

mtbr member
    Just a couple weeks ago, someone broke into my car with no signs of forced entry, but I know the doors were locked. They didn't appear to steal anything, but turned on the hazard lights. My car was parked in my driveway and came home to the hazard lights blinking. Weird, but I have had several occurrences like that in the past too. Twilight Zone.
    Last edited by aliikane; 10-05-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Chump
    Just a couple weeks ago, someone broke into my car with no signs of forced entry, but I know the doors were locked.
    We've had two of our locked cars broken into in our driveway without any sign of forced entry, about six months ago. According to the cop who took our report, if you keep your car remotes near the front of your house, there's a device that can be used to mimic their signal and open the car doors as if the remote had been clicked. Putting the remotes into something RF protected or further away from the cars solves the problem. Lots of people in our San Mateo neighborhood have been broken into this way. In our case, they stole all the random stuff like DVDs and parking change that we had in the center console and glove box, which added up to a surprisingly large dollar value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Goose View Post
    We've had two of our locked cars broken into in our driveway without any sign of forced entry, about six months ago. According to the cop who took our report, if you keep your car remotes near the front of your house, there's a device that can be used to mimic their signal and open the car doors as if the remote had been clicked. Putting the remotes into something RF protected or further away from the cars solves the problem. Lots of people in our San Mateo neighborhood have been broken into this way. In our case, they stole all the random stuff like DVDs and parking change that we had in the center console and glove box, which added up to a surprisingly large dollar value.
    This is my old car. It doesn't have an alarm or keyed remotes. You have to physically use a key to enter it. I think they entered using a Slim Jim bar like the emergency road side assistance guys use if you lock your keys in your car.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I went to high school with a girl named Ellie Glass.
    I knew her sister Phyllis Glass. She was a cocktail waitress.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I used rubber sneks and fake poop during the cyclocross race this weekend. They appeared to be very effective. Maybe placed next to your vehicle?

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_5772.jpg

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_5773.jpg

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_5781.jpg

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_5756.jpg

mtbr member
    Someone needs to invent an alarm that has voices yelling various things or frightening sounds. . Like, "get away from my car!!" or "This is the police, freeze!!" or explosion sounds or gunshots. I think they would be more effective and I think crooks would freak out. Kinda like The Blank Box.

Meatbomb
    My truck is always unlocked and NOTHING I want to lose in it. They don't have to break a window to see there is nothing to steal. They just move along.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    My truck is always unlocked and NOTHING I want to lose in it. They don't have to break a window to see there is nothing to steal. They just move along.
    People still might tamper with it. Steal your battery or vandalize it. I have had stuff like that done to me and seen stuff like that. Some people are just evil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    turned his chicklet for ya.
    Turned his chicklet? I don't get it.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Turned his chicklet? I don't get it.
    Reputation chicklet (green for pos, red for neg.) but it's hard to say what it was about now, as the poster has apparently been banned.

We lose continuity that way, so when it happens, it looks cornfusing as hell.