Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,215

    Camping at/near Spooner Summit

    I'm looking for a good campsite to hit Spooner-Kingsbury TRT and also Kingsbury TRT-Toads.

    The FS website says camping along the TRT is cool. I'm looking for a place where we could do one of these rides w/o additional driving.

    I'm familiar with all of the official campsites in Tahoe.

    Anybody have any thoughts? Any spots along Forest Service roads that parallell the TRT?
    What about on the TRT near Hwy89?

    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Ebo
    Ebo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah
    I'm looking for a good campsite to hit Spooner-Kingsbury TRT and also Kingsbury TRT-Toads.

    The FS website says camping along the TRT is cool. I'm looking for a place where we could do one of these rides w/o additional driving.

    I'm familiar with all of the official campsites in Tahoe.

    Anybody have any thoughts? Any spots along Forest Service roads that parallell the TRT?
    What about on the TRT near Hwy89?

    Thanks for the help!
    Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but Zephyr Cove has campsites right across from their beach. Drive to both Spooner and Kingsbury is not too bad as you probably know already. Added bonus is good sand volleyball, beach, cocktails, etc, within walking distance.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but Zephyr Cove has campsites right across from their beach. Drive to both Spooner and Kingsbury is not too bad as you probably know already. Added bonus is good sand volleyball, beach, cocktails, etc, within walking distance.

    Thanks, that's the Nevada Beach campsite... we're actually hoping to avoid the south shore scene, so we'd like to camp near/on the TRT. I'm sure we'll find space, but I'm hoping someone can share experiences.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    There is a forrest service rd.

    just east of the summit parking area....on the south side of hwy that ends up at the TRT just before you start the final steep rocky climb up to Bliss Peak....You can also access from west of the summit near the spooner lake turnoff.....this rd. crosses the the TRT.....if you have ridden spooner to kingsbury you probably know where I am talking about.

    I have seen people camping here before....there is a large clearing just east of the trail. Looks like a great spot.

    Here is the rub......If you are planning a two day ride doing the east side of the TRT....you will be left with about 13 miles (11 on the TRT) before you even start up towards Monument Pass......with a long way to go to Toads. I have been thinking about doing this ride (mt rose to toads) for a couple of years....just have not got around to figuring it out. I think the place to camp would be closer to the kingsbury if there is access to the TRT on the south side of Bliss Peak (if I had my handy Tahoe Rec map I would be looking at it now...).

    The other alternative as stated before is to bomb down the Chinese downhill to Nevada Beach....then have someone take you up to the top of kingsbury for the secong leg.

    Please let us know what you end up doing....my brother has offered to support a two day ride for me and friends this summer and I am leaning towards trying to do this ride.

    A couple friends of mine did Mt. Rose to Toads in a single day last year (64 miles 9.5 hrs) Thats not for me! Ouch!

    s

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    just east of the summit parking area....on the south side of hwy that ends up at the TRT just before you start the final steep rocky climb up to Bliss Peak....You can also access from west of the summit near the spooner lake turnoff.....this rd. crosses the the TRT.....if you have ridden spooner to kingsbury you probably know where I am talking about.

    I have seen people camping here before....there is a large clearing just east of the trail. Looks like a great spot.

    Here is the rub......If you are planning a two day ride doing the east side of the TRT....you will be left with about 13 miles (11 on the TRT) before you even start up towards Monument Pass......with a long way to go to Toads. I have been thinking about doing this ride (mt rose to toads) for a couple of years....just have not got around to figuring it out. I think the place to camp would be closer to the kingsbury if there is access to the TRT on the south side of Bliss Peak (if I had my handy Tahoe Rec map I would be looking at it now...).

    The other alternative as stated before is to bomb down the Chinese downhill to Nevada Beach....then have someone take you up to the top of kingsbury for the secong leg.

    Please let us know what you end up doing....my brother has offered to support a two day ride for me and friends this summer and I am leaning towards trying to do this ride.

    A couple friends of mine did Mt. Rose to Toads in a single day last year (64 miles 9.5 hrs) Thats not for me! Ouch!

    s

    Excellent info -- thanks!

    Damn! Rose-Toads in one day.... that's an epic ride!

    My goal for this trip is to do my last two remaining sections of the TRT: Spooner-Kingsbury (as an out an back ~25 miles), and Kingsbury-Toads (point-to-point~30miles).

    Technically, I would still have one, small bikeable section of the TRT to do in the future, from Big Meadow towards Echo Summit, although only part is rideable.

    There doesn't appear to be any camping near Kingsbury Grade... I know the area fairly well, and I haven't seen any indications on the topos (unless one were to ride in a few miles)... so Spooner will be the spot.

    I haven't been on Spooner Summit for a while, and am hoping to get my friends up there w/o having to do recon beforehand. I think what you're telling me will be enough to go on. I've checked out the FS road on topos, and it's good to know that there's a good clearing to camp on. We don't need much!


    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Ebo
    Ebo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,730
    There is also a short forest road right about across from the entrance to Spooner Lake. Supposedly at the end, there is a primitive campsite where others have spent the night. "Radair" over on Passion stayed there before last years Downieville gathering.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Here is a spot on Spooner Summit https://freecampsites.net/#!179076&query=sitedetails

  8. #8
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,534
    Good intel. Hopefully the OP found a place to camp soon after they started thread 14+ years ago. 😀
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  9. #9
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks for pointing that out - I was reading this thinking they will be at/near Freezing Balls.

  10. #10
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,534
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out - I was reading this thinking they will be at/near Freezing Balls.
    Yeah, hardcore emeffurs wether they were camping OR riding!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yeah, hardcore emeffurs wether they were camping OR riding!
    Yes we are, thank you very much.

    One cool place to camp are the two Cabins that Nevada State Parks rents out right there at Spooner. One is about 0.5 mile in on North Canyon Road, the other maybe 2 miles in.
    The have propane stove to keep you warm even through tonight's storm!
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  12. #12
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,944
    Yeah, I think I'll head up tonight. I hear conditions are good and I won't need chains or nuthin'. Got a fresh pair of shorts to put in the duffle, along with some tank tops and beach towels.

    Should I even bring a tent, or can I just lay out in the hammock under the stars?

    Lots of restaurants up there, so I won't even bother bringing food. Now, where did I put them flip-flops?

  13. #13
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,534
    Of course I ment now, during current weather happenings....😀
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Similar Threads

  1. Are there any ladders/stunts at Big Bear/Snow Summit?
    By Skygrounder in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 04:37 PM
  2. Midwest Summit Sponsor Oversight..... Fast Freddy!
    By Ken in KC in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 01:00 PM
  3. Midwest Summit Music...
    By Ken in KC in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 05:28 PM
  4. Midwest Summit Music...
    By Ken in KC in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 02:37 PM
  5. MIdwest Mountain Bike Summit in KC
    By Diamond Dave in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 08:12 AM

Members who have read this thread: 63

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.