Camping near Downieville- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Camping near Downieville

My wife and I are taking a trip to Ashland/Downieville next week and have never been. We're coming from SW Washington and we'll arrive Saturday afternoon. We would prefer dispersed camping. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    There are some great spots on the way up to Packer Saddle (even at the top of Packer Saddle). You can then bomb down there trail too town and grab the shuttle back to your car/camp.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

mtb'er
    If you can score this spot at the top of 1st Divide, you'll dig it (although it doesn't get a ton of sun): https://goo.gl/maps/ZTfC7V3eLzi9zJBe7

If there is already a vehicle or 2 there (plus tents), a back-up but much less enjoyable spot is just over the bridge on the left 100 yards away.

I think it is kind of a pain if you drive back and forth to town a lot from here, but you can enjoy all of 1st Divide as an out-and-back from camp, or pedal up to 2nd Divide and come down 3rd Divide (plus a fast fire road descent) back to camp.

If you have a shuttle to Packer Saddle set up, you can ride to town on 1st Divide, do your shuttle and your route and end at camp, whether you come down 3rd Divide or 2nd Divide.

When riding up 1st or 2nd Divides on a weekend, keep your eyes and ears open for descending riders. Definitely don't ride up 3rd Divide on a weekend. (Upper 1st Divide is generally flat though).

There are also plenty of campgrounds along Hwy 49 and on the road to Packer Saddle. I sorta prefer to camp up there and hit the DH to town then shuttle back to camp.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    FC replied with this when I asked the same in another Downieville thread:

Were always in Packer Saddle campground due to tradition and its fine. Wild Plum by the river is good.

A good option is Packer Saddle at the shuttle drop-off or that fire road by the pct re-alignment for free-range camping