Captain One Lung Administrator

California Enduro Series Schedule Announced!

http://www.californiaenduroseries.com/

I know it's a ways off but I'm super stoked, even if I won't be racing most of it. Jeni will so I'll be there!

How many of you are planning on racing?

California Enduro Series Schedule Announced!-sullivanpb-ctc14143-980x550.jpg
    Sullivan smashing it

2018 Event Schedule

Stay tuned for details about these outstanding venues.

• May 26: Toro Enduro in Salinas, presented by CCCX (Registration opens 2/18/18 @ 8pm)
    • June 16: Mammoth Bar Enduro in Auburn, presented by The Hub Roseville and Total Body Fitness(Registration opens 1/15/18 @ 8pm)
    • June 30: **Golden Tour #1** China Peak Enduro in Lakeshore, presented by China Peak Mountain Resort(Registration opens 4/8/18 @ 8pm) NOTE: The China Peak Enduro will also be part of the 2018 National Enduro Series (NES).
    • July 28-29: Crafts and Cranks Enduro in Big Bear Lake, presented by Team Big Bear (Registration opens 4/29/18 @ 8pm)
    • August 25-26: **Golden Tour #2** Northstar Enduro in Truckee, presented by Northstar California Resort(Registration opens 6/3/18 @ 8pm)
    • September TBD: **Golden Tour #3**Kamikaze Bike Games Enduro in Mammoth Lakes, presented byMammoth Mountain (Registration TBA)
    • October 6: Ashland Mountain Challenge in Ashland, presented by Ashland Mountain Adventures(Registration opens 3/18/18 @ 8pm)

mtbr member
    I plan on it, as long as I can get a new bike, and don't run out of money in the process.

mtbr member
    And whose idea was it to put the Mammoth Bar Enduro in the middle of June? Because if it wasn't already a sufferfest, now we will probably get to enjoy the uphill stages with 90+ degree weather. yay

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    CES, where you pay $100-200 to ride the same trails you can for free and win the same $5 prize my daughters tball team gets. Good times..... The mountain bike industry has some odd price points.

Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    CES, where you pay $100-200 to ride the same trails you can for free and win the same $5 prize my daughters tball team gets. Good times..... The mountain bike industry has some odd price points.
    While true, for us it's more about the camaraderie and hanging out on the trails with friends in a race format.

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    And whose idea was it to put the Mammoth Bar Enduro in the middle of June? Because if it wasn't already a sufferfest, now we will probably get to enjoy the uphill stages with 90+ degree weather. yay
    Agreed. People will probably die. The Clementine climb after the dam is where it will happen. Pavement and full sun exposure after multiple stages. Yee haw. lol

I missed it. What bike are you getting?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    no mendocino

mtbr member
    Also, we're gonna make you register 6 months in advance! Then release a questionable race course a week before the race.

Seriously, the CES is a joke besides the Golden Tour races.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Bandito View Post
    Also, we're gonna make you register 6 months in advance! Then release a questionable race course a week before the race.

But if we live in California what other choice do we have if we want to race an enduro series? I might be able to squeeze in 2 or 3 out of state races, but definitely not a whole series.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I missed it. What bike are you getting?
    Plan A: Race on the Specialized Northstar team and get a 2018 enduro
    Plan B: TBD
    Plan C: Upgrade some components on my current bike and call it good.

injured reserve list
    But if we live in California what other choice do we have if we want to race an enduro series? I might be able to squeeze in 2 or 3 out of state races, but definitely not a whole series.
    There are plenty of enduro races in CA if you look. Yeah they are in SoCal but you can't say there are no race series' in CA.
    Southridge Racing Family » Southridge USA

Home
    Calendar
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    There are other series, and the Golden Tour is good. I'm not one to chase down an entire series though. Much prefer pick and choose my races and to go to races that have trails that I genuinely would want to ride.

My brother and I have looked into organizing a race of our own. We'll see if that happens.

Moderator Moderator
    There's no t-shirt included with the $5 prize?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    There's no t-shirt included with the $5 prize?
    Nope, had to pay an extra $20 for a shirt.......

While not a huge fan on the Enduro, Specialized will take care of you. Better than a lot of the boutique brands.

There are other series, and the Golden Tour is good. I'm not one to chase down an entire series though. Much prefer pick and choose my races and to go to races that have trails that I genuinely would want to ride.

My brother and I have looked into organizing a race of our own. We'll see if that happens.
    Jeni and I are down. Let us know if we can help.

mtbr member
    Humm , building up an enduro. Maybe I'll join the SNT too.

Do they have a Masters class?? LOL

Ride On!
    I disagree, it gives racers a chance to gain experience and "live the dream" of racing in a strongly competitive field. Agreed the Golden Tour attracts more of the known heavy hitters and bigger purses.

However, it has been cool to watch a local racer like Evan Geankoplis progress through winning the CES series in 2016 and 2nd's in 2015 & 2017. He went on to race in the EWS at Aspen Snowmass this last year. Stuff dreams are made of and cool to watch happen.
    Last edited by NorthSideOf50; 12-10-2017 at 04:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    While not a huge fan on the Enduro, Specialized will take care of you. Better than a lot of the boutique brands.
    I feel like I am the type of person that can adapt to any modern "enduro" style bike and be perfectly happy with it.

mtbr member
    Nope, had to pay an extra $20 for a shirt.......
    I got a free shirt at China Peak, Northstar, and Mammoth.
    Northstar and Ashland actually had really good raffles that were included with an entry.

mtbr member
    The CES is fine. It’s a little expensive but so is everything in the state. Californians will complain about anything.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    The CES is fine. It’s a little expensive but so is everything in the state. Californians will complain about anything.

Did you see how cold it was this morning? There was ice on my windshield! Grr.... grumble, grumble.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Did you see how cold it was this morning? There was ice on my windshield! Grr.... grumble, grumble.

mtbr member
    Looks like no Whistler EWS for me.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    I disagree, it gives racers a chance to gain experience and "live the dream" of racing in a strongly competitive field. Agreed the Golden Tour attracts more of the known heavy hitters and bigger purses.

However, it has been cool to watch a local racer like Evan Geankoplis progress through winning the CES series in 2016 and 2nd's in 2015 & 2017. He went on to race in the EWS at Aspen Snowmass this last year. Stuff dreams are made of and cool to watch happen.
    Geno was killing it long before the CES was around. His success is independent of the CES.

What I am saying is that racing should advance the sport. I think it should cater to more experienced riders, but be accessible to everyone. CES definitely does it the other way around, which brings in the crowds. Dont get me wrong, CES is well run, organized, and accurate. Races like Toro & Auburn are not advancing the sport. Not saying we have to have steep fall line tracks like an EWS at every race but there are plenty of places in California outside of a resort that offer good challenging terrain with necessary accommodations for a race.

Put it simply: We want some tracks that go downhill most of the time with a few rocks here and there.

Moderator Moderator
    I just paid my property taxes. I expect everyday to be 70 degrees and bluebird.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    As a 52 year old, I plan to race the entire series, slaughter the field, and update my résumé with my bad ass-ness.

The gauntlet has been laid down...BISHES

Ummm... Do they have an Old, Fat, and Slow division?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    As a 52 year old, I plan to race the entire series, slaughter the field, and update my résumé with my bad ass-ness.

Yes there is Beginner old fat and slow(OFS), sport OFS, Sport BOOST+ OFS, Expert OFS, and Open OFS.

Prizes and awards will be 5 deep for each.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well, I suppose 30 is as good an age as any to start racing.

fc
    Looks like no Whistler EWS for me.
    That’s no big loss. Just go to Whistler and revel in the stokage
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post

Best post of the week. #sponsored
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    no mendocino
    The enduro race they said to bring a trail bike. Pedalfestivus for the rest of us

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jcin View Post
    The enduro race they said to bring a trail bike. Pedalfestivus for the rest of us
    Heard about that race and no one was pleased. Need more hill.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    IIRC Mendo was 7k’ climbing. I wanted to do it this year just to see if I could survive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Heard about that race and no one was pleased. Need more hill.
    I liked it. Trails reminded me of Skeggs but climbs not as steep, no hikers, no piles of horse chit, no speeding tickets.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    it was definitely too long but I like the trails there. I think the huge day actually is actually kind of to my advantage as I managed a podium despite a couple crashes. its nice to have a balance between the loamy/rooty courses and the rocky gnar ones

With recent discussion on the Mammoth Bar event popping up I wanted to bump this thread.

I think I'll be at most of the events helping Jeni and her team. I'll have lots of extra supplies, food water, tubes, CO2, tires etc. in the event any of you need something. Feel free to stop by and say hi.

mtbr member
    I’ll be at most of the races this year racing in the Expert class for the Northstar mtb team. Last year even at my best races I was only finishing mid-pack in the Expert class, so definitely need to improve my speed/fitness.

I’ll be at most of the races this year racing in the Expert class for the Northstar mtb team. Last year even at my best races I was only finishing mid-pack in the Expert class, so definitely need to improve my speed/fitness.
    Looking forward to seeing you on the podium again this year.

mtbr member

California Enduro Series Schedule Announced!

Any early indication if Pipeline will again not be included at Toro? :-/

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Any early indication if Pipeline will again not be included at Toro? :-/

-Pipeline will be included for Pro's & Experts. Full-pull, top to bottom.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Yep. I should probably practice that trail a few times before the race. Only ridden it once and it was a lot of fun, but not sure how it is trying to go fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yep. I should probably practice that trail a few times before the race. Only ridden it once and it was a lot of fun, but not sure how it is trying to go fast.

-I mentioned it in their FB post and I'll mention it here......
    Trail work is happening now through the next couple of weeks on Pipeline so be on the lookout for the guys, stop and say thank you!! A bell is a good idea too.....
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    scary as hell with all those tight sandy corners right next to a ravine. plus this is going to add like 1800ft of climbing to the day

mtbr member
    scary as hell with all those tight sandy corners right next to a ravine. plus this is going to add like 1800ft of climbing to the day
    At least the climbing at Toro is nice and mellow....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

- I think you are mistaking loose-over-hardpack for sand. There are only 2-3 corners that have any sand on them that i can recall.

Take a look at the CES FB page and watch the video one of our local Pro's did recently.
    You'll see with all the trail work taking place now that the trail should be considered much "less scary" to most....