BTCEB Info and Ride Saturdays- Mtbr.com
    Feeling a little taller

BTCEB Info and Ride Saturdays

Since I'll be in no condition to ride any time soon, I am working on a project for BTCEB to raise public awareness and get the members involved. This project is based around setting up an information and membership booth at various parks throughout the East Bay area on Saturdays in July and August. The booths will be staffed by volunteers from 9am to 3pm and will serve as not only an information center, but also as a base for Bicycle Basics classes and Group rides that will also be run by volunteers.

That being said, I need volunteers for staffing the booth, teaching and assisting the Class(es) and leading and assisting the group ride(s) for the following dates and locations:
    July 2 - Redwood Park, Skyline Gate
    July 9 - Mount Diablo Area, Trailhead TBD
    July 16 - Pleasanton Ridge, Foothill Staging Area
    July 23 - Briones, Trailhead TBD
    July 30 - Las Trampas Area, Trailhead TBD
    August 6 - Lake Chabot, Marina

Please contact me at danger at brionesmafia dot com or PM me if you are intesested in helping out.

As the volunteer spaces are filled and each date has complete volunteer and location information, I will post again to notify of these group rides and basics classes for participation.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Oct 2004

Good job!

Dan why don't you put me down for a volunteer on July 9th at Mt. Diablo and the 23rd at Briones. I'm available all day for Mt. Diablo, but will only be available during the morning for Briones. Are you going to be putting up flier in the local bike shops to get people that may not be aware of what BTCEB is and or does?

gimme friction

Hey Dan

I can be available either or both of the days July 2 and July 23. Just let me know via PM or email what your needs are as we get closer to July.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia
    I can be available either or both of the days July 2 and July 23. Just let me know via PM or email what your needs are as we get closer to July.
    Thanks guys! I've got you, ibisGuy, JRM and a few other people down.

I still need some volunteers to help with group rides and bike basics lessons.

Bueller? Bueller?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Thanks guys! I've got you, ibisGuy, JRM and a few other people down.

I still need some volunteers to help with group rides and bike basics lessons.

Bueller? Bueller?
    Dan, I can lead a (slow) ride in Redwood Park on 7/2 between 10 am and 1 pm if you need. If possible, I'd like to do a Redwood Park/JMP loop.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Dan, I can lead a (slow) ride in Redwood Park on 7/2 between 10 am and 1 pm if you need. If possible, I'd like to do a Redwood Park/JMP loop.
    Thanks! I'll put you down for that slot as an intermediate ride.

Dan

banned
    Since I'll be in no condition to ride any time soon, I am working on a project for BTCEB to raise public awareness and get the members involved. This project is based around setting up an information and membership booth at various parks throughout the East Bay area on Saturdays in July and August. The booths will be staffed by volunteers from 9am to 3pm and will serve as not only an information center, but also as a base for Bicycle Basics classes and Group rides that will also be run by volunteers.

That being said, I need volunteers for staffing the booth, teaching and assisting the Class(es) and leading and assisting the group ride(s) for the following dates and locations:
    July 2 - Redwood Park, Skyline Gate
    July 9 - Mount Diablo Area, Trailhead TBD
    July 16 - Pleasanton Ridge, Foothill Staging Area
    July 23 - Briones, Trailhead TBD
    July 30 - Las Trampas Area, Trailhead TBD
    August 6 - Lake Chabot, Marina

Please contact me at danger at brionesmafia dot com or PM me if you are intesested in helping out.

As the volunteer spaces are filled and each date has complete volunteer and location information, I will post again to notify of these group rides and basics classes for participation.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    I'm outta town july 2nd and August 6th, I'm up for anything in between - will there be pre or post rides involved????? (please??)

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    I'm outta town july 2nd and August 6th, I'm up for anything in between - will there be pre or post rides involved????? (please??)
    I need volunteers for:

Mount Diablo Mitchell Canyon July 9, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Bicycle Basics Teacher
    Group Ride Leaders

Pleasanton Ridge Foothill Staging Area July 16, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Bicycle Basics Teacher
    Group Ride Leaders

Briones Bear Creek July 23, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Booth Staff 11am - 3pm

Las Trampas area of Iron Horse Trail July 30, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Booth Staff 9am - 3pm
    Bicycle Basics Teacher
    Group Ride Leaders

Lake Chabot Marina August 6, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Additional booth staff

BTCEB and I appreciate any assistance you might be able to provide.

Dan

banned
    I need volunteers for:

Mount Diablo Mitchell Canyon July 9, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Bicycle Basics Teacher
    Group Ride Leaders

Pleasanton Ridge Foothill Staging Area July 16, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Bicycle Basics Teacher
    Group Ride Leaders

Briones Bear Creek July 23, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Booth Staff 11am - 3pm

Las Trampas area of Iron Horse Trail July 30, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Booth Staff 9am - 3pm
    Bicycle Basics Teacher
    Group Ride Leaders

Lake Chabot Marina August 6, 2005 9am - 3pm
    Additional booth staff

BTCEB and I appreciate any assistance you might be able to provide.

Dan
    Just pm'd you with my 411.

I was a wrench for local shops and a racer type, but never a ride leader or skills trainer - so use/abuse me as you see fit!

Danke, IRMB

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Just pm'd you with my 411.

I was a wrench for local shops and a racer type, but never a ride leader or skills trainer - so use/abuse me as you see fit!

Danke, IRMB
    I'll try to put together a curriculum for a 1 hour basics class. Mostly it's wash, rinse, repeat only with a bicycle and a rider. I've got to get in touch with a guy who was recommended as a knowledgable past teacher.

But, as you have ridden a bike at some of the parks where things are planned, why not help out at the booth for a couple of hours and lead a ride?

Feeling a little taller
    I'll be at the Concord REI today from 11-3 representing the BTCEB. REI will also have bike manufacturer booths. Stop by if you get a chance!

Dec 2004

Voluntoure

I'll be at the Concord REI today from 11-3 representing the BTCEB. REI will also have bike manufacturer booths. Stop by if you get a chance!

I am thinking July 16th and August 6th. I can be more effective at those places. Put me down for Lead,skills or just Troging.

Feeling a little taller

Group Rides!

As promised, here is the update for group rides in July in the East Bay:

1: Intermediate ride led by Plim:

Saturday, July 2nd, beginning from Skyline Gate of Redwood park at 10:30am (please arrive early so you are ready to ride at 10:30am).

Ride Rating: T6/S6/O6 (intermediate)

Ride is about 20 miles with about 2500 feet of climbing, and will take around 3.5 hours (these are very approximate numbers). We'll head out West Ridge, then take a brief tour of downhill singletrack in Joaquin Miller Park. After climbing back up, we'll continue South on the Dunn Trail and then along some singletrack in the middle of Skyline Boulevard. We'll descend into Anthony Chabot park on Goldenrod and Jackson Grade trails.

Next, the ride heads back North to Bort Meadow, following Macdonald trail back to Redwood Road. After a brief spin on pavement, we'll climb Canyon Trail in Redwood park, and follow East Ridge back to the parking lot at Skyline gate. Bring: sun block, plenty of water (there are two possible refilling stations), and possibly a snack or two (ride leader will definitely want to stop for a quick refueling bite).

RSVP Plim via PM

Trail maps:
    Redwood Park: http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf/trails/redwood_map_full.pdf
    Joaquin Miller: http://www.oaklandnet.com/parks/parks/joaquinmiller_maps.asp
    Anthony Chabot: http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf...abot_north.pdf
    http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf/trails/chabot_south.pdf
    All EBRP maps are at: http://www.ebparks.org/resources/resources_maps.htm

2: Beginner/Intermediate ride led by Zorg:

Saturday, July 2nd, 2005, 10:30am
    Ride rating T5/S6/O6 (intermediate):
    Redwood Park/Joaquin Miller
    There are 2 possible rides depending on what participants want to do.
    Short loop is approximately 12-13 miles, 2000', 2 hours. The longer loop is approximately 18-20 miles, 2500', 3 hours. The ride will start at 10:15am.

Both rides involve mostly fire roads with a few fun single tracks ("ST") thrown into the mix. This is a no-drop ride.

Shorter loop: Start at the Skyline gate and go counter clockwise. Exit at Moongate through some fun ST and go down to Skyline. Ride Skyline to Joaquin Miller Park. Ride unnamed ST to Castle Trails, and then down Cinderella for some enjoyable downhilling. Practice bike skills on railroad ties for a few minutes of fun and photo opportunities. Ride Sunset trail to

$2 hill to practice climbing steep terrain. Left on Sequoia trail back to Skyline. Cross back into Redwood Park down West Ridge for a couple miles of fun downhilling, up the lung busting Canyon Trail (1 mile, 600') to East Ridge trail to close the loop.

Longer loop: Same as above except that at the top of $2 hill turn right on Sequoia trail to exit Joaquin Miller Park down Skyline Blvd to Dunn trail.

Exit Redwood Park at the Redwood Equestrian area. Ride the ST in the road median up Skyline Blvd for a couple miles to lake Chabot, down McDonald trail to the MacDonald staging area. Ride Redwood Road for 1/4 mile to the Redwood gate entrance back into Redwood Park, up the lung busting Canyon Trail (1 mile, 600') to East Ridge trail to close the loop.

Either way should be plenty of fun. Technical difficulties are intermediate. Less daring riders might walk short portion(s) of the ride, but it is otherwise doable by any rider in decent shape.

Bring water and sunscreen. Please RSVP Zorg via PM

3: Beginner/Intermediate ride led by EBRider:

Saturday July 9, 2005, 9:30am
    Ride rating T4/S7/O6 (intermediate):
    Mount Diablo
    Approximately 20 miles with 3,000' of net elevation change, should take about 3 hours. Meet at 9:30 AM at the Mitchell Canyon staging area/Park Headquarters. The ride will start with a steep climb up Mitchell Canyon to Deer Flat, then up Deer Flat to Juniper Camp, followed by about 2 miles on paved road, which takes us about 1/4 a mile short of the Mt. Diablo peak.

From there, we ride down Devils Elbow for about a mile of legal single track, on to Prospectors Gap, down Meridian Ridge and on to Donner Canyon close to the Donner Gate and cut back over to Mitchell Canyon via Mauricio Rd. and Bruce Lee trail.

The first 1.5 miles is a gradual climb with the bulk of the climbing during the following 4 to 5 miles, including some hike-a-bike. Although I don't know the total amount of climbing, the ride is essentially straight up and a little more gradual, but mostly all downhill, so it is very close to 3,000'.

There is water at Juniper Camp, but this is still early on the ride, so be prepared with water and food.

Alternatively, riders can park on Regency Dr. or Montaire Pkwy., enter through the Donner gate and ride the 1 mile over to Mitchell Canyon in order to save the parking fee.

Please RSVP by email if you plan as ride may change w/o notice via PM EBRider

4: Intermediate Group ride by BTCEB Board Member Kevin

SAT JUL 16th
    Pleasanton Ridge
    20 mi w/3700' of climbing and will take about 3hrs. We will meet at 9:30 AM in at Foothill staging area. The ride will start at the base of Oak Tree Trail with a 1230' climb over 3.2 miles to the top where following the Ridgeline trail to Bay Leaf Trail then take off on the legal single track to Shady Creek Trail to the North Ridge Trail which also has some legal single track to the end of the park, and then back.

Trail Map <http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf/trails/pleas_ridge_map.pdf>

Water is available along the trail at several points, but beginning with a full CamelBak is recommended. I would also recommend you bring and wear sunscreen.

Please RSVP by email if you plan as ride may change w/o notice via PM Dan'ger (I will forward to Kevin)

5: Intermediate ride led by Plim:
    Saturday, August 6th, beginning from the Marina at Anthony Chabot Park at 10:30am (please arrive early so you are ready to ride at 10:30am).

Ride is about 20 miles with about 2000 feet of climbing, and will take around 3 hours (these are very approximate numbers). We'll head up a road to the Nike classroom, then along Ten Hills Trail and ascend Brandon trail up to a ridge. We'll continue North on Redtail Trail, Grass Valley Trail, and Macdonald Trail until we reach Parkridge Drive. We'll then start back south by riding on singletrack in the middle of Skyline Boulevard (kind of weird, but fun). We'll go back into the park on Goldenrod Trail, descending back to the lake and following its shore back to the marina. Bring: sun block, plenty of water (there is one possible refilling station, but it's close to the end of the ride), and possibly a snack.

RSVP via PM Plim

Trail maps:

Anthony Chabot:
    http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf/trails/chabot_north.pdf
    http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf/trails/chabot_south.pdf

6(&7&8?): I'm still waiting on a ride description from a ride leader for Saturday, July 23 at Briones but I still don't have a group ride to go with the July 30 day at the Iron Horse Trail & Las Trampas. I'm hoping to have a beginner group ride that can ride the Iron Horse trail to Walnut Creek and back as well as an intermediate ride into Las Trampas.

Is there an interested party to lead a group ride at Las Trampas? I can work out a route as I've ridden there before, but I can't ride due to my shoulder. Won't someone please take the lead on this ride?

Dan

Feeling a little taller
    I need a BCTEB person to teach a bicycle basics class at Redwood on July 2. Is there anyone that can help with that?