Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,951

    Brrrrr! No thanks!

    Say all you want about living in California, I am so glad to be here. Dammmmmmmmnnnn. Minus 60??? Yikes!

    At Town & Country Credit Union in Minot, North Dakota, the weather sign outside said it was minus-196 degrees on Monday. The credit union told NBC affiliate KFYR that a sensor was damaged.

    The fact is that the wind chill was only minus-60.

    Repeat: Minus-60.


    Not even this would help.

    Eff that.

    Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    85
    You should sign up for this next year and check it out for yourself, pretty close to where you are referencing. Wrapping up right now.

    Arrowhead 135 - Home

    I didn't do this race but still got a 20 miler in today. Pretty cold up here in North Woods, but had the trails all to myself!

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,086
    Ill have you know it got down to 58F on my ride home today. #weathertax

  4. #4
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    33,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Say all you want about living in California, I am so glad to be here. Dammmmmmmmnnnn. Minus 60??? Yikes!

    At Town & Country Credit Union in Minot, North Dakota, the weather sign outside said it was minus-196 degrees on Monday. The credit union told NBC affiliate KFYR that a sensor was damaged.

    The fact is that the wind chill was only minus-60.

    Repeat: Minus-60.


    Not even this would help.

    Eff that.

    Thanks a lot.
    Those are wind chill temp. readings. Plus its a dry cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  5. #5
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,505
    Thanks for making me feel better. I was worried about the cold temps coming for the next couple days, wind chill -25. Suddenly it sounds balmy.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  6. #6
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,660
    Wind chill is just to make the weather news seem more exciting.

    No one ever pays attention to it in Alaska. I mean, you ride downhill and you instantly have wind-chill because you are riding a bike downhill. You better have prepared for that no matter what. Your core can get cold super-fast when doing that and you can get cold-soaked, so it's good to have an additional layer to put over everything like a puffy insulated jacket.

    Thanks to climate change, it was raining tonight here in AK and I somehow nailed my outer-wear with the perfect combo that allowed me to ride as far as I wanted in complete comfort an dry underneath. There is no bad weather, just bad clothes.

    Brrrrr! No thanks!-img_6063.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  7. #7
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,951
    You are more man than I'll ever be!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I somehow nailed my outer-wear with the perfect combo that allowed me to ride as far as I wanted in complete comfort an dry underneath. There is no bad weather, just bad clothes.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6063.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	1235734
    I sweat so much no matter the conditions. Unsure how anyone stays dry while biking. I guess you just keep your exertion at a low level?

    That looks like a lot of fun. I want to try Fatbiking in the snow.

  9. #9
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    33,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    You are more man than I'll ever be! Brrrrr! No thanks!-c9f9e889-098b-4213-91f1-897c7338c865.jpg

    Awe!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  10. #10
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,660
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I sweat so much no matter the conditions. Unsure how anyone stays dry while biking. I guess you just keep your exertion at a low level?

    That looks like a lot of fun. I want to try Fatbiking in the snow.
    You wear breathable stuff and regulate your temp by changing clothing. Most of the time XC skiing gear is perfect, that has to breathe well because the exertion levels are similar. A lot of times we see newbies in downhill ski pants and jackets with goggles, which would be miserable in all but -40 conditions. You also manage things like your extremities correctly do you dont have to overcompensate on your torso/core. More than 2 layers is usually suspect because when you start to heat up, you cant easily expose your base layer, like by unzipping or pushing up your sleeves. 3 layers is my absolute max and thats for extreme conditions, close to or below 0F. One other important rule is it takes about 20 minutes if riding to reach your operating temp, if the weather is cold, you should be cold until 20 minutes in, at which point youll be comfortable. If not, youll be overheating.

    In the summer, there are rides where I simply can't prevent sweating and if it's warm or hot, I can get soaked from head to toe (like in AR, TX, OK). In the winter here, when it's around or below freezing, I can ride without ever getting "wet" from sweat, which is a revelation. Mainly it's about the clothes that make it comfortable to ride in these temps. If I had known better, I would have gotten some of these years ago so I could do the odd cold-weather ride here and there and be perfectly comfortable. Worth it.
    Last edited by Jayem; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:07 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TahoeBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,041
    Balmy 24 degrees in California when I started this ride today


  12. #12
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    32,030
    -47 and dropping in Minneso

    Brrrrr! No thanks!-screen-shot-2019-01-30-9.02.45-pm.jpg
    IPA will save America

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,316
    i actually want to experience a week in the cold blast.

    i dont understand the daily logistics. not the home pipes freezing, warming up the cars and stuff.

    if you have to wear a suit/tie to work..they must wear thermals underneath. what about restaurants..do they all have giant coat closets? gym memberships must balloon up during a freeze. or body fat does. building codes must put double doors on all the buildings, no. like airlocks?

    they must used insulated big rigs to get veggies to market. do they even have fresh veggies?

    next winter, maybe i fly into Fargo to suss it out.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jibmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,325
    The weather channels were talking about Chicago possibly breaking their cold record set back in 1985 - it was -25.
    I was there. That cold snap came with -60 wind chill.

    The coldest temps I've been in was in Wyoming.
    I spent the winter of '90/'91 skiing for the season at Jackson Hole.
    We had a cold snap one time where it was -60 at night and warmed up to -30 during the day. Luckily there was no windchill.
    THAT was cold! We skied anyways.
    I worked at Wendys and walked to and from work every night after skiing for the day.
    Sometimes the herd of Elk would cruise into town and I had to detour for several blocks to avoid the herd - that was always a pain...

  15. #15
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    33,443
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    The weather channels were talking about Chicago possibly breaking their cold record set back in 1985 - it was -25.
    I was there. That cold snap came with -60 wind chill.

    The coldest temps I've been in was in Wyoming.
    I spent the winter of '90/'91 skiing for the season at Jackson Hole.
    We had a cold snap one time where it was -60 at night and warmed up to -30 during the day. Luckily there was no windchill.
    THAT was cold! We skied anyways.
    I worked at Wendys and walked to and from work every night after skiing for the day.
    Sometimes the herd of Elk would cruise into town and I had to detour for several blocks to avoid the herd - that was always a pain...
    Ive been is some cold temps. Coincidentally my coldest I believe was a a job I had in my early 20s. We landscaped the Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne Wyoming. Installing all the sprinkler systems in the winter and in the spring we planted. For a week straight we were out there in -36F for 10 hour days digging trenches. A couple of the guys on the crew quit but I stuck with it. Looking back Im amazed I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  16. #16
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,289
    If you were skiing you were creating your own wind chill......

  17. #17
    default title
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    469
    All y'all's grass fed beef is going to be ****ing expensive next year. Poor critters.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i actually want to experience a week in the cold blast.

    i dont understand the daily logistics. not the home pipes freezing, warming up the cars and stuff.

    if you have to wear a suit/tie to work..they must wear thermals underneath. what about restaurants..do they all have giant coat closets? gym memberships must balloon up during a freeze. or body fat does. building codes must put double doors on all the buildings, no. like airlocks?

    they must used insulated big rigs to get veggies to market. do they even have fresh veggies?

    next winter, maybe i fly into Fargo to suss it out.
    You wear a normal winter jacket, and just make a point to not not waste time making your way from one heated place (home/office/store/car) to the next.

    This is a rare cold snap. Folks in AZ deal with the exact same logistics (except in reverse) for a couple months every year!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    675
    Hold on everyone! You will survive!!! https://babylonbee.com/news/californ...ree-cold-front

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM
  2. Brrrrr...
    By Evil Patrick in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 07:38 AM
  3. 5pm, 5-Mile trail....Brrrrr!
    By westin in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 11:32 AM
  4. Thanks, Chad. Thanks, Intense.
    By DundalkPhil in forum Intense
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 03:23 AM

Members who have read this thread: 228

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.