Brockaway Summit to Watson Lakes?- Mtbr.com
    RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Brockaway Summit to Watson Lakes?

Hey there:

Anyone ridden Brockaway Summit to Watson Lakes in N. Lake Tahoe, out and back? If so, can you provide a breif description - technical - beginner - intermediate - Riding Tahoe this weekend a couple of the riders are beginner to intermediate.

Thanks I appreciate an info!!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't call it a beginner ride. off the top of my head, I think the ride starts with a 500' climb, then 500' descent, 1000' climb, arrive at Watson Lake and turn around. so only about 2000' vert total, and although there's nothing that is particularly technical when pointed downhill it is fairly rocky throughout and the climb to Watson Lake is tough enough that a beginner would probably do a lot of hike-a-biking. if your friends are closer to intermediate riders than true beginners and won't mind pushing their bikes some, they might enjoy the fun downhill sections. Sawtooth Ridge and Emigrant are better trails for beginners in that area and might be better to start with if you're not sure of their abilities.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RDI
    Hey there:

Anyone ridden Brockaway Summit to Watson Lakes in N. Lake Tahoe, out and back? If so, can you provide a breif description - technical - beginner - intermediate - Riding Tahoe this weekend a couple of the riders are beginner to intermediate.

Thanks I appreciate an info!!
    Great trail, B\I riders will walk a bit in places. I would not ride it as an out and back, for some more effort, you can just stay on the TRT all the way to Tahoe City. Unless you are really studly in the endurance dept., I suggest that you self shuttle by placing a car at T/C.

If you do decide to go all the way to TC, you have an option of skipping the part of the TRT that climbs over the south eastern shoulder of Mt. Watson. This would save a bunch of climbing. To do this just ride out the paved road from WL and turn left on the paved 100 Road. It is about 3 mostly level miles on that road (killer views) and you will start to turn south & start descending towards TC. Then turn right on the TRT when you see the marker. The climb up from there is a bit of a hump, but it will pay off huge once you head down towards TC. Most of that section was redone a couple of years ago and is getting better with each passing winter, simply an awesome section.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks Guys!!

I appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not a beginner trail heading out of TC up.

my wife and I did this one day as an attempted out and back...big mistake. There's a much better way to earn the payoff...which we did the next day.

I'd recommend going through Barton Creek state park which is East of Tahoe City. You can work your way through the park and make your way over to the TRT and then descend down. Our loop turned out to be about 17 miles and about 2200 feet of climbing.

there's different trails through Barton Creek..so I'd grab a map from a shop before you head out.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    We were thinking about starting from the Brockway trailhead off of 267 East of Kings Beach - was that your starting point? Thanks!

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

You Tube - live action

Anyone thats interested Youtube video of the trail is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piE_t9kSxxo

mtbr member
    It is in no way a beginner ride; it is too strenuous and too difficult, both. I think it's too much even for adventurous beginners. They will hate you. But it's a helluva fun section of trail and there are so many ways to put that stuff together, just lots of the non-Rim Trail bits aren't on a map.

mtbr dismember

Not for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk
    It is in no way a beginner ride; it is too strenuous and too difficult, both. I think it's too much even for adventurous beginners. They will hate you....
    I agree! The first two miles is uphill and pretty rocky, and the altitude makes it even more difficult. I went past Watson Lake this summer on an out and back and I found it one of the most difficult rides I've done in a long time. I'm an old beginner but very stubborn. A few more photos, GPS, etc. here. Steeper than it looks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

We started at the TRT trailhead in Tahoe City

truly (other than this not being a beginner ride, specifically the last 8 or so miles to TC), I'd suggest shuttling from the top of Brockway and then heading on TRT to Tahoe City...

Without being able to show you a map, there is also a road/trail just past Lake Forest (East of Tahoe City) that looks like from 28 you can reach the TRT near the Flume below Mt. Watson.

You really need a map and some in person (local from a bike shop or ride club) advice from someone to give you a loop that would not get a beginner over their head.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... You guys just saved me from a miserable experience

Thanks for the warning - Looks like a fun trail I'll have to do it another time. Thanks for the suggestions too!

Members who have read this thread: 0