Briones Chat- Mtbr.com

Thread: Briones Chat

pewpewpew Moderator

Briones Chat

I might be up for 6 am at briones saturday, since I have to work... nice way to get a ride in...

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Sounds like a plan. I got permission from the Social Director.
    Now, tell me where to show up. My experience with Briones is riding in from the Pleasant Hill Rd entrance. Never been to, seen the other entrances mentioned elsewhere.

Hey! Didn't you resign/quit?

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    Sounds like a plan. I got permission from the Social Director.
    Now, tell me where to show up. My experience with Briones is riding in from the Pleasant Hill Rd entrance. Never been to, seen the other entrances mentioned elsewhere.

Hey! Didn't you resign/quit?

Werner
    The rides lately have been taking off from the Alhambra Staging area which is on reliez valley road. There are some stables there, and there is a paved path into the park. There most likely will not be a ranger at the kiosk that early.

To map quest it try reliez valley road and sage (although the entrance is just north of sage - you can see it on the map)

PS: yes I gave notice at my job and will be moving! must ride good ol' briones as much as possible over the next 3 months.

jrm
    mtbr member

6 am...really?

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    I might be up for 6 am at briones saturday, since I have to work... nice way to get a ride in...
    you mean 7 or 8am...right?

MTBR.com Addict

Moving?!?

The rides lately have been taking off from the Alhambra Staging area which is on reliez valley road. There are some stables there, and there is a paved path into the park. There most likely will not be a ranger at the kiosk that early.

To map quest it try reliez valley road and sage (although the entrance is just north of sage - you can see it on the map)

PS: yes I gave notice at my job and will be moving! must ride good ol' briones as much as possible over the next 3 months.
    Where you moving to?

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by STrackMike
    Where you moving to?
    I'm migrating south , to where the warm beaches and dry mountains are . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    you mean 7 or 8am...right?
    I will likely be out there at 5:45 - 6:00 a.m.. My buddy an I need a bit of a headstart if we don' want everyone to be waiting at the top for half and hour (he really had to push a lot last weekend, he hasn't been out much lately). BTW, the gate is not open so you will have ride up the road about 3/4 mile (Alhambra Entrance on Reliez Valley Road).

We have been riding Alhambra Creek Trail, then handing a right on Spengler up to the Marichi i lagoons and then going up toward Briones peak. I am unsure if we should just to say a hello or try to meet near the lagoons. While I have a bit of endurance, if we try to do a full Impy ride, 1) I will be late getting home (by 8 so the wife can go to Yoga), and 2) my buddy will need an ambulance transport out.

Thoughts are appreciated. Also, any recommendations for the a different route or loop?
    Riding slowly since 1977.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Me thinks their serious about the 6am thing. I'm gonna go for it. Then I'll be back at a reasonable time to be mauled by a couple offspring.
    CDMC - I've not ridden in from that Sage road entrance so have no idea what its like. My normal Briones entrance is the nasty climb on Pleasant Hill Rd accross from Acalanes HS. Its been a while though since I've been in the park so I'll go where the consensus points.

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Lots of climbing, but it doesn't have the rollers like the Ridge Trail does.

See you at 6.

pewpewpew Moderator
    I will be there, unless this sore throat thingy gets worse, at 6 and look for peoples. If I see none I will not curse at you all for gettign me up early, but ride my bike around happily..

wg look for me near the parking area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    so how was the ride?? pretty cool, cloudy and windy from what i could see...hope you guys had fun, i'll be around this week if anyone is interested in diablo foothills or other rides.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    so how was the ride?? pretty cool, cloudy and windy from what i could see...hope you guys had fun, i'll be around this week if anyone is interested in diablo foothills or other rides.
    It was wiiiiiiindy up at the meadow and there was a shroud of fog but the ride was good. We had 4 people nutz enough to get up while it was still dark and start riding. Wg, me, CDMC and his buddy. We rode up to the meadow. CDMC and his bud were on a tighter schedule so they went to the peak, wg and I rode around to the other side of the park and expored here and there and next thing I know it was almost 9am and the sun was starting to come out.

We saw a gang of youngish kids (well young to me, early 20's or teens), maybe 10 all together, pushing their bikes up the fireroad. We are talking big DH bikes with double crowned forks. They said there were going to ride some ST down - I'm not aware of any DH suitable ST in the park, (certainly no legal ST) but there they were pushing away up up up the big hill.

Medium?

Oh yeah

I'm migrating south , to where the warm beaches and dry mountains are . . .
    and whacky long-hair mtbers have nothing to do with it... You'll be missed.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Cool, windy, overheat on the way up then freeze when cresting the ridge. Explored some singletrack I didn't know about (thanks Impy). And as expected, had a flat when I got back home. Nice goat head stuck in the rear tire. Good way to start the day.
    Not sure about the mid week yet. Probably a day to day thing depending on work mayhem. I'll post if I'm able to get out.

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Impy and WG are being nice. My buddy and I were climbing so slowy (or rather pushing so slowly) they probably had a nap waiting for us to get to the top. Even disreguarding the time, I don't think we could have hung for their extended loop. We saw the guys on the big bikes on the way out, they were about .25 of a mile from the Alhambra Creek Gate and already looking miserable. I think they were probably riding and re-riding that once section with roots. BTW, we did ride further up that trail off the ponds and came to a 4 way intersection. If you go left there, there is a short section that is definetly DH material. It is made more intimidating by the near vertical drop to the left, that would send you down about 200 feet if you of the left of the trail. We only went down a short way and had to come back the way we came to get back home in a timely manner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sounds like you guys had fun. i was sort of up that early (a bit of jet lag from my trip) but i have to admit to being a weather snob--too cold for me (for the summer) to go out at that time, so i did some errands this morning and went out to diablo foothills this afternoon. that two weeks without riding showed itself but i made it.

as i said, i'm around this week if anyone is interested in riding. i'll be emailing webshot as well....

Jun 2004
    WHATS UP!

So I missed the "Early Saturday Ride" Ey?! Well that is just great!

Actually I decided to not ride until Monday, which brings up a question for Impy or anyone else who would like to chime in:

I have been biking every other day for a month and one week. This is after a very long break (10 years)! I have certainly noticed a huge increase in my stamina since biking again, but I'm having some trouble with my legs. They burn and hurt so bad when I first start riding. I stretch but still a lot of pain. I'm wondering if it is possible to over do it? My legs are starting to get bigger of course. Perhaps to much tearing of the muscle tissue and not enough heal time in between heavy rides?

Thanks,

webshot

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by webshot
    WHATS UP!

So I missed the "Early Saturday Ride" Ey?! Well that is just great!

Actually I decided to not ride until Monday, which brings up a question for Impy or anyone else who would like to chime in:

I have been biking every other day for a month and one week. This is after a very long break (10 years)! I have certainly noticed a huge increase in my stamina since biking again, but I'm having some trouble with my legs. They burn and hurt so bad when I first start riding. I stretch but still a lot of pain. I'm wondering if it is possible to over do it? My legs are starting to get bigger of course. Perhaps to much tearing of the muscle tissue and not enough heal time in between heavy rides?

Thanks,

webshot
    We missed ya webshot! Maybe we can get a ride in this week? Hey aren't we supposed to go to shell ridge or something on Tuesday? I might be up for that exept that i kind of have an errand to run in santa rosa and was thinking that annadel might be in the cards tuesday afternoon, , ,

Sometimes my legs burn a bit before i get warmed up, but its not super painful and it definitely goes away. I wonder if you rode a little more before hitting the hills if it woudl help. Like parking out on Sage or soemthing, which forces you to warm up on the pavement before hitting the big climbs.

Jun 2004
    We missed ya webshot! Maybe we can get a ride in this week? Hey aren't we supposed to go to shell ridge or something on Tuesday? I might be up for that exept that i kind of have an errand to run in santa rosa and was thinking that annadel might be in the cards tuesday afternoon, , ,

Sometimes my legs burn a bit before i get warmed up, but its not super painful and it definitely goes away. I wonder if you rode a little more before hitting the hills if it woudl help. Like parking out on Sage or soemthing, which forces you to warm up on the pavement before hitting the big climbs.
    Yea, I rode yesterday and noticed that it takes a good 20 min. before my legs stop hurting. Once they are warmed up it's all good.

CohenFive is thinking Diablo Foothills possibly Wed.

I'm gonna hit Briones this afternoon.

FYI to all!!! Sportmart in Concord is having a sale that I think ends today, clothes and stuff like %25-%40 off. Great deals! No real bike related stuff, but lots of shorts, pants, and shirts. I spent like $90 and got 3 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of pants, and a shirt! Nike, Columbia, name brand stuff. good deals.
    Last edited by webshot; 08-02-2004 at 10:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FYI to all!!! Sportmart in Concord is having a sale that I think ends today, clothes and stuff like %25-%40 off. Great deals! No real bike related stuff, but lots of shorts, pants, and shirts. I spent like $90 and got 3 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of pants, and a shirt! Nike, Columbia, name brand stuff. good deals.
    this belongs in the hot deals forum, not here. please stay focused on the topic...

hahahahahahahahaha!!

Jun 2004
    this belongs in the hot deals forum, not here. please stay focused on the topic...

hahahahahahahahaha!!

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

MTBR.com Addict

We the people ... I finally found the Alhambra entrance!

Late Sunday I was cruising around taking care of errands and took a spin up Reliz Valley rd. Man it's a lot further up there than I though it was. Doesn't look all that far on the map!
    I keep wanting to get out there, but the timing has been all wrong for me as of late. I'm still getting settled into a routine with the new dog, Maggie (who is a natural trail dog as it turns out). Lately I've been climbing the hills at the Lafayette entrance on Pleasant Hill Rd across from the high school. I think one of you guys mentioned it earlier. I usually bike from the apartment to the entrance, but with the dog I don't trust her off the leash on those busy roads until I'm in the park. We did go out there late Friday and she was intrigued by the cows.

I think I know why the bulldozing has been happening. One reason is for fire access. The other might be for the horses that are part of the summer camp on my end. They have about 6 or so animals stabled up on the Lafayette end. The looser dirt probably makes for better footing for the animals. Just a guess.

I saw mention of a possible ride Wed, but me and Maggie are going to obedience classes for the next six weeks on Wed. nights. So Tues or Thurs,Fri, Sat,Sun would be good for me this week. Also be aware that I would probably bring Maggie with me. She is able to keep up going up hill (yet another woman that kicks my but in climbing! ), she's pretty fast with descents. Just gotta watch your front wheel when she runs in front of it. Mostly she doesn't let me out of her sight (She likes hanging out with dad!). I would suggest that I ride sweep if we hookup. If this is a problem, I can make other arrangements cuz I still want to put faces with the avatars from here.

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Late Sunday I was cruising around taking care of errands and took a spin up Reliz Valley rd. Man it's a lot further up there than I though it was. Doesn't look all that far on the map!
    I keep wanting to get out there, but the timing has been all wrong for me as of late. I'm still getting settled into a routine with the new dog, Maggie (who is a natural trail dog as it turns out). Lately I've been climbing the hills at the Lafayette entrance on Pleasant Hill Rd across from the high school. I think one of you guys mentioned it earlier. I usually bike from the apartment to the entrance, but with the dog I don't trust her off the leash on those busy roads until I'm in the park. We did go out there late Friday and she was intrigued by the cows.

I think I know why the bulldozing has been happening. One reason is for fire access. The other might be for the horses that are part of the summer camp on my end. They have about 6 or so animals stabled up on the Lafayette end. The looser dirt probably makes for better footing for the animals. Just a guess.

I saw mention of a possible ride Wed, but me and Maggie are going to obedience classes for the next six weeks on Wed. nights. So Tues or Thurs,Fri, Sat,Sun would be good for me this week. Also be aware that I would probably bring Maggie with me. She is able to keep up going up hill (yet another woman that kicks my but in climbing! ), she's pretty fast with descents. Just gotta watch your front wheel when she runs in front of it. Mostly she doesn't let me out of her sight (She likes hanging out with dad!). I would suggest that I ride sweep if we hookup. If this is a problem, I can make other arrangements cuz I still want to put faces with the avatars from here.
    i'm flexible on the days that work for people. webshot and i were thinking of my diablo foothills route on wednesday but i might be up for briones on another day or as a substitute.

i'm fine with you bringing maggie. we have 2 dogs, one of which i'd love to bring on a ride one time to see how he would do. which one of you needs the obedience classes??

MTBR.com Addict
    i'm flexible on the days that work for people. webshot and i were thinking of my diablo foothills route on wednesday but i might be up for briones on another day or as a substitute.

i'm fine with you bringing maggie. we have 2 dogs, one of which i'd love to bring on a ride one time to see how he would do. which one of you needs the obedience classes??

Where are the diablo foothills and what kind of terrain/ difficulty rating is there for that ride?

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where are the diablo foothills and what kind of terrain/ difficulty rating is there for that ride?
    diablo foothillls park is in walnut creek, past the old borges ranch entrance. the basic loop i go on (there are infinite variants) takes me about 1 3/4 hours including a couple of breaks for water. while there are no single 1000+ foot climbs like in briones there are a series of shorter climbs on the ride, a couple of which are sort of a pain. also there are two sections of unmaintained (ie, very bumpy) fireroad which make the climbing that much harder. the loop includes sections of diablo foothills, shell ridge, old borges and mt diablo parks. total distance on basic loop is 10.6 miles. on the way back through the foothills you cross about 10 streams, only 4 of which have any water in them this time of year.

overall the ride isn't that technical but the scenery is great...

ballbuster

I'll be there Wed!

diablo foothillls park is in walnut creek, past the old borges ranch entrance. the basic loop i go on (there are infinite variants) takes me about 1 3/4 hours including a couple of breaks for water. while there are no single 1000+ foot climbs like in briones there are a series of shorter climbs on the ride, a couple of which are sort of a pain. also there are two sections of unmaintained (ie, very bumpy) fireroad which make the climbing that much harder. the loop includes sections of diablo foothills, shell ridge, old borges and mt diablo parks. total distance on basic loop is 10.6 miles. on the way back through the foothills you cross about 10 streams, only 4 of which have any water in them this time of year.

overall the ride isn't that technical but the scenery is great...
    Sounds like good mad climbing. Last time I did Diablo foothills, I remember my rear tire spinning out a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'm thinking about 430 pm tomorrow (wednesday) afternoon if anyone's interested in exploring back in here. i've asked webshot and will pm impy but all are welcome.

Jun 2004
    i'm thinking about 430 pm tomorrow (wednesday) afternoon if anyone's interested in exploring back in here. i've asked webshot and will pm impy but all are welcome.

I'm in!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I would go but I had to leave work early yesterday and have a ton of stuff to get done.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Can't do it that late but will be heading there around noon(ish). Thinking of Shell Ridge towards Wall Point and down Pine Creek. Need to put some miles on.
    Need to hit Home Despot this AM for gardening stuff.
    Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

MTBR.com Addict

My Little trip up Brionnes last night

Got the word yesterday that my contract at my current job is extended through February, so I celebrated with completing a really tough hill climb with beer and bbq as a reward afterward. I entered across from the high school on Pleasant Hill Rd and came down through the elementary school back to the parking lot. The twisty paved descent is hell on brakes, make sure yours are in good condition!

1. If you look carefully you can see the signs for the Hwy 24 split into 680.
    2. That is the Lafayette Resevoir.
    3-4. My new trail buddy-Maggie!
    All these pics were taken with the camera in the cell phone, so sorry for the lack of quality/details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got the word yesterday that my contract at my current job is extended through February, so I celebrated with completing a really tough hill climb with beer and bbq as a reward afterward. I entered across from the high school on Pleasant Hill Rd and came down through the elementary school back to the parking lot. The twisty paved descent is hell on brakes, make sure yours are in good condition!

All these pics were taken with the camera in the cell phone, so sorry for the lack of quality/details.
    maggie looks like she's ready for more!! where did you get bbq?

webshot and i will be at diablo foothills at 430 today if you are interested in celebrating some more...

Jun 2004

Maggie looks like a great pup! Keep an eye on her paws for thorns or soreness from long runs until she is used to it.

MTBR.com Addict
    maggie looks like she's ready for more!! where did you get bbq?

webshot and i will be at diablo foothills at 430 today if you are interested in celebrating some more...
    I wish I could make it, but being a contractor, I have to plan out my time off. If I don't work, I don't get paid. Thank you very much for the offer though. I would like to try Brionnes from the Alhambra entrance sometime this weekend though.

www.btceb.org

MTBR.com Addict
    Maggie looks like a great pup! Keep an eye on her paws for thorns or soreness from long runs until she is used to it.
    Yeah, I've been keeping that in the front of my mind. We are sticking to well established paths for the most part. Also, those long rides only happen for her 1-2 times a week, otherwise it's a leisurely long walk. I check her paws after each run.

www.btceb.org

Jun 2004
    Yeah, I've been keeping that in the front of my mind. We are sticking to well established paths for the most part. Also, those long rides only happen for her 1-2 times a week, otherwise it's a leisurely long walk. I check her paws after each run.
    Get her some little Nike's for her feet!

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler

View Back

Just got back from 15.5 Miles of sun. Its warm out there today.

1- Looking back at you from Shell
    2- A mix of flora
    3- I think it was Frost who said something about taking the road less traveled? I went left.

Have fun later today.

Werner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice pix, i'll take some of webshot huffing and puffing out in the middle of nowhere in a couple of hours. sorry you couldn't make it with us today, we'll find another time and place...

i'd like to know what route you do as i'm always up for exploring out there. i just try to make sure i know where mt. diablo is at all times...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    That looks a lot like the ridgetop trail at shell ridge. Not that I have ever ridden there or anything.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone,

I live in the area and recently bought a mountain bike, although I have ridden on the road fairly extensively. I am always looking for people to ride with. Would love to join one of your rides if you don't mind a newbie tagging along.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Ridgetop of Shell? There's a trail there? Wouldn't know about that one...... heh heh.

My "official" route: home to the CC Trail, Heather Farms, to John Muir Hospital (La Casa Via I think), up n over the ridge line (actually legal at that spot), then into Shell Ridge and follow the Briones to Mt Diablo Trail (fire road). Take it back to where it loops down to Pine Creek. Go down Pine Canyon and climb back out to Borges. Past Borges Ranch and over the ridge via Forgotten (nasty climb) and rehook up to the Briones to Mt Diablo trail and back track.
    That route is about 20 miles from home. I took a few, um, liberties with trails today.

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Hi everyone,

I live in the area and recently bought a mountain bike, although I have ridden on the road fairly extensively. I am always looking for people to ride with. Would love to join one of your rides if you don't mind a newbie tagging along.
    Sure dude! Always ready to welcome another victim...errr....sucker...errr....rider (yeah that's it!) to the fold.
    I'm thinking of doing a ride in Brionnes from the Alhambra entrance this Sat or Sunday. Probably in the morning between 8-9am when it's still cooler out.

www.btceb.org

pewpewpew Moderator
    I'm riding Briones tommorow morning - maybe like 8 am, but could be coaxed into an earlier ride if there is company. Not sure what distance I will be up for - went running today (wasnt able to make the ride) and had serious bonkage out of the blue at 30 minutes. So might be an ez one....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

webshot bagged out on me today..

since jeff didn't show at the last minute, i went over to lime ridge off ignacio in walnut creek for a solo ride up to the top and then down the rollercoaster. i stunk today, it's interesting that i've been riding enough now to have good and bad days. still a fun ride, fell once but no damage done and nobody around to see it...

we'll try again for late in the week or the weekend.

pewpewpew Moderator
    since jeff didn't show at the last minute, i went over to lime ridge off ignacio in walnut creek for a solo ride up to the top and then down the rollercoaster. i stunk today, it's interesting that i've been riding enough now to have good and bad days. still a fun ride, fell once but no damage done and nobody around to see it...

i'll be away for the next week, but the week after i'm game

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

The rollercoaster is still there?!!!! That thing is wicked fun. I might have to ride there soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    The rollercoaster is still there?!!!! That thing is wicked fun. I might have to ride there soon.
    well if we're thinking of the same trail (down from the water tank) then it's sort of still there. pretty overgrown this time of year and my ankles were scraped up pretty good by the bottom from the weeds with 'spikey things'..i slipped going around a turn near the bottom and my front wheel just went out and there i was on the ground.

that little trail is a ton of fun though...but is not a legal trail even though it was built by bikers and is not really hikable at all..

mtbr member

Checked in a little late

I'm riding Briones tommorow morning - maybe like 8 am, but could be coaxed into an earlier ride if there is company. Not sure what distance I will be up for - went running today (wasnt able to make the ride) and had serious bonkage out of the blue at 30 minutes. So might be an ez one....

Rode Shell Ridge this morning, already had the meeting place set. Weekends are more difficult for me to get away - Saturday is a possibility, how long are you going for STrackMike?

A strange, but flexible schedule - I will probably ride Friday and Monday if anyone wants company.

Also have no idea where this post will show up, I am new to this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    maybe a group ride on sunday morning in briones--my son has a soccer tourny this weekend and i'm drafted for saturday duty...

if it's sunday i'd be game for a full loop, all the way down to bear creek and back. that's a lot of climbing though...about 1000 feet twice with a few really tricky climbs up out of bear creek (at least the way i would go).

also would consider a road trip--boy scout camp, etc...

Jun 2004
    maybe a group ride on sunday morning in briones--my son has a soccer tourny this weekend and i'm drafted for saturday duty...

if it's sunday i'd be game for a full loop, all the way down to bear creek and back. that's a lot of climbing though...about 1000 feet twice with a few really tricky climbs up out of bear creek (at least the way i would go).

also would consider a road trip--boy scout camp, etc...

So STrackMike and Cohenfive are in for Sunday? That is sounding good to me! Briones always sounds good to me as well.

mtbr member
    I would have went, let me know next time,
    I can always go in the morning but not late afternoon.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cRasHmAstER

I would have went, let me know next time,
    I can always go in the morning but not late afternoon.
    Lets go tommorow!
    Except lets make it Rancho instead
    (first day of vacation for me whee)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lets go tommorow!
    Except lets make it Rancho instead
    (first day of vacation for me whee)
    impy where's rancho?? also are you sticking around this weekend or heading south?

pewpewpew Moderator
    impy where's rancho?? also are you sticking around this weekend or heading south?
    Rancho is Tamarancho in Fairfax. I like going there with crashmaster/crazy andy so he can make me feel like a complete idiot by cleaning everything that I cannot clean, and he's on a SS to beat.

I'm heading NORTH!! Road trip to Oregon/Washington woohoo! Next weekend is a taste of Tahoe and the weekend after, well we shall see. So many places to ride!! So little time!!

Dec 2003
    A question:

If people are DRIVING to ride the unspectacular trails (fire roads...) at Briones/Shell Ridge/Lime Ridge, why not spend an extra 20-40 minutes in the car (less if it's early in the morning) and head North to ride MUCH better and more challenging trails?

It's a serious question.

I frankly can't fathom the hullabaloo about places that rank right near the bottom of my local ride list.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    A question:

If people are DRIVING to ride the unspectacular trails (fire roads...) at Briones/Shell Ridge/Lime Ridge, why not spend an extra 20-40 minutes in the car (less if it's early in the morning) and head North to ride MUCH better and more challenging trails?

It's a serious question.

I frankly can't fathom the hullabaloo about places that rank right near the bottom of my local ride list.
    We discussed this last week(see post #71) - the consensus seems to be a) kids or b) work constraints. For me, last week i had to be working by 8 am, so an extra 20-40 minutes to get to another park and drive back in the wee hours of the morning was significant. Other than that I don't usually ride briones on weekends, but some of the other locals with toddler duty find it an easy way to get a good workout in.

Most of this hullaballo is just because we like to ride with each other and we like to type alot on the computer.
    Last edited by Impy; 08-05-2004 at 10:05 PM. Reason: speeling

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Its a convenience thing for me if pressured for time and want to just get some miles and some extended climbing on the bike.
    Otherwise.... the northern trails are definitely more entertaining. This weekend is a little chaotic but I may be able to swing a Sunday ride in. Any interest in Rockville late afternoon?
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    A question:

It's a serious question.

pete i pretty much agree with you, but sometimes some of us have constraints which make it a choice of riding locally or not at all. my ideal is as you say--local ride during the week after work, then do some exploring over the weekend. only problem is when i'm going somewhere new i try to ride with someone who is familiar with the trails--helps get comfortable with the terrain more quickly.

so i'm hoping to do a ride sunday morning, am happy to go to 'rancho' or anywhere else people want to go..or stay local if that's all that works.

MTBR.com Addict
    So STrackMike and Cohenfive are in for Sunday? That is sounding good to me! Briones always sounds good to me as well.
    I'm down for Sunday, just gotta nail down time and place to meet.

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I can probably do sunday, even if Briones isn't good enough for pete, it is for me. Was up at the Ridgetop trail in Lafayette this morning and scared a Coyote!!!

Jun 2004
    I can probably do sunday, even if Briones isn't good enough for pete, it is for me. Was up at the Ridgetop trail in Lafayette this morning and scared a Coyote!!!

Ok, how about 10:00 at the Alhambra staging area?

MTBR.com Addict
    Ok, how about 10:00 at the Alhambra staging area?
    Sounds good to me.

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have to check with the boss but probably. FYI, I am slow, just so you are aware. But don't worry if you drop me, It's still fun to chat a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'll be there as well. anyone want to do the full loop around the park--it's quite a bit of climbing but it should be a beautiful day...i'll bring the camera and jeff will bring the doritos!!

Jun 2004
    i'll be there as well. anyone want to do the full loop around the park--it's quite a bit of climbing but it should be a beautiful day...i'll bring the camera and jeff will bring the doritos!!

The full loop is tuff! I'll consider it though. It will be a whole day of riding. I'm not sure how much time everyone has. No Doritos!

So everybody is good with 10:00AM Sunday at Alhambra then!? This will be fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The full loop is tuff! I'll consider it though. It will be a whole day of riding. I'm not sure how much time everyone has. No Doritos!

So everybody is good with 10:00AM Sunday at Alhambra then!? This will be fun.
    jeff the ride i'm thinking about shouldn't be more than 3 hours...go up out of alhambra, ride the ridgeline to the right, then descend to bear creek staging area. from there climb back out (i'd like to do the valley trail off to the right--a couple of tough spots) to the cell towers and then ride the ridge trail and down to alhambra.

i'm getting tired just thinking about it...should be fun, see the gang at 10am in the parking lot. i'll have my trusty beat up toyota sienna.

richard cohen

Jun 2004
    jeff the ride i'm thinking about shouldn't be more than 3 hours...go up out of alhambra, ride the ridgeline to the right, then descend to bear creek staging area. from there climb back out (i'd like to do the valley trail off to the right--a couple of tough spots) to the cell towers and then ride the ridge trail and down to alhambra.

i'm getting tired just thinking about it...should be fun, see the gang at 10am in the parking lot. i'll have my trusty beat up toyota sienna.

richard cohen
    I'll have my trusty dented-up 4runner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

10am is $$

richard cohen
    Sunday at 10:00am is collection time at Briones...they charge to park in the lot. I ride Briones alot but I would NEVER pay to park there.

Here's a hint for a fun trail...when you get to the cable TV antennas, go about 150 yards north and take a right(east) at the bottom of the saddle. When you get to the road at the bottom just go left and climb back up to the ridgeline.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Briones Rides

I live in Concord, and when not injured, ride Briones quite a bit.
    I'm heading up to Tahoe to lead a week-long mtb. trip this coming week (Aug. 8-13) and will be back in the swing of things and hoping to find people to ride with.
    please let me know if and when another group ride is going on. I usually ride out of the P.H. staging area (big gravel parking lot with narrow ride from Reliez Vlly., going by horse property).
    In case anyone is interested in joining us for a day or two up in Tahoe, we're camping @ Kit Carson Campground, off Hwy. 88, just east of the 88/89 junction. we'll be there Sun. night through Thurs. night, and doing day rides from camp.
    [email protected]
    chris
    concord, ca

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm out tommorrow, it is to late for me. I'll be riding about 7:15-7:30 am. Maybe I'll see you guys on the way out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    so are we on for alhambra staging area tomorrow morning? i could go earlier than 10am but that seems to be the consensus.

my cell phone is 925 381 2625 if anyone needs directions..

oh, as for the $4 parking fee, while i understand you NEVER wanting to pay it, i actually am a ebrpd annual supporter as i think these parks are a great resource and they don't come free..

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm
    Sunday at 10:00am is collection time at Briones...they charge to park in the lot. I ride Briones alot but I would NEVER pay to park there.

Here's a hint for a fun trail...when you get to the cable TV antennas, go about 150 yards north and take a right(east) at the bottom of the saddle. When you get to the road at the bottom just go left and climb back up to the ridgeline.
    It's only $4!! Four Dollars! 16 quarters! How cheap can it be!

If someone does not have $4 to park then let me know and I will bring extra cash with me. Geeeez!

Besides, it helps pay the cost to maintain the park.

MTBR.com Addict

Upset This is way late, but I'm out also

I'm out tommorrow, it is to late for me. I'll be riding about 7:15-7:30 am. Maybe I'll see you guys on the way out.
    I went hiking in and around the Lafayette Resevoir yesterday afternoon and later that night my right knee was bothering me. I woke up this morning and it feels like I pulled or 'over-used' a muscle on the outside edge of my right knee. So I'm thinking since I have a race next Sunday, I'd better play it safe and not torture myself with Brionnes today. Sorry for the late posting. This sucks as I was looking forward to this and getting to meet you guys.

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went hiking in and around the Lafayette Resevoir yesterday afternoon and later that night my right knee was bothering me. I woke up this morning and it feels like I pulled or 'over-used' a muscle on the outside edge of my right knee. So I'm thinking since I have a race next Sunday, I'd better play it safe and not torture myself with Brionnes today. Sorry for the late posting. This sucks as I was looking forward to this and getting to meet you guys.
    sorry you can't make it but you're making the right decision. sounds like it might just be jeff and myself....i'm off!!!

Jun 2004

... and if we just ... Briones Ride this Morning...

Well you all missed a fun but warm ride today. Cohenfive and myself just tearing it up. We got to meet CDMC and friend in the parking lot. Looks like they had just finished up their ride when we got there. It was a great day though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well you all missed a fun but warm ride today. Cohenfive and myself just tearing it up. We got to meet CDMC and friend in the parking lot. Looks like they had just finished up their ride when we got there. It was a great day though.
    that was fun jeff, enjoyed the downhill we took off to the north (i think it was north!). after our ride i drove over to redwood regional and did the canyon/ridge trail loop over there. now i'm totally pooped!!!

nice to meet you cdmc......

next time we'll get some of these slackers to join us!!

mtbr member
    Glad to hear nobody got cooked in that heat.

Let me know if you go again, I should be available the next few Saturdays. Before/after work during the week is also good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad to hear nobody got cooked in that heat.

Let me know if you go again, I should be available the next few Saturdays. Before/after work during the week is also good.
    it wasn't that hot, only got to about 90 degrees which is not nearly as bad as it can get. that climb at redwood out of pinehurst staging area was really tough after riding in briones earlier that day...i could barely walk at home later...my wife was laughing at me!!

as far as briones rides, there seems to be a group of us that ride in there frequently. there have been some late afternoon (or early morning) rides almost every week now so stay tuned...i'm off on a business trip so won't be riding again until this weekend but maybe some of the others will be heading up there. i also want to do some exploring to some of the other spots in the bay area where i haven't ridden--annadel and boy scout camp to name two....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any local rides this weekend??

i think i've recovered from annadel...my son has a soccer tourny this weekend in concord but hopefully i can squeeze in some riding time. briones, diablo foothills, whatever...

MTBR.com Addict
    i think i've recovered from annadel...my son has a soccer tourny this weekend in concord but hopefully i can squeeze in some riding time. briones, diablo foothills, whatever...
    How is Sunday looking for you?

I've got to work for a customer on Saturday so I don't know when I'll be riding then. I'm setting aside time Sunday for riding though. I'd like to do morning, before it gets too warm.

www.btceb.org

Feeling a little taller

Briones this week? Las Trampas next monday?

Who's riding Briones what evenings this week?

Missed everybody this evening, but had a great ride anyway.

I typically ride about 1/2 hr of warmup on the way to the Reliez VR entrance before climbing up orchard to the lagoons and beyond and depending on available time drop down either alhambra creek back to the RVR entrance or Blue Oak to the entrance near Gloria. I've been riding Briones for about a year once or twice a week but never done the Lafayette Ridge trail.

Planning on riding Las Trampas next Monday starting from the Bollinger Canyon side and dropping out onto the Iron Horse in Alamo. It's kind of like the terrain at Briones, except steep and hot. Needs to be a very early or late ride. Anybody interested?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Who's riding Briones what evenings this week?

Missed everybody this evening, but had a great ride anyway.

I typically ride about 1/2 hr of warmup on the way to the Reliez VR entrance before climbing up orchard to the lagoons and beyond and depending on available time drop down either alhambra creek back to the RVR entrance or Blue Oak to the entrance near Gloria. I've been riding Briones for about a year once or twice a week but never done the Lafayette Ridge trail.

Planning on riding Las Trampas next Monday starting from the Bollinger Canyon side and dropping out onto the Iron Horse in Alamo. It's kind of like the terrain at Briones, except steep and hot. Needs to be a very early or late ride. Anybody interested?
    i'll likely be riding in briones this week after work-have to figure out what days work with the family. lots of back to school stuff going on. also have to do some work on my backup bike (brake calipers need recentering, etc) as my primary is out of commission awaiting a new brake rotor.

my normal late day ride in briones is to climb up the orchard side all the way up to the radar towers, then ride the ridgelines back towards martinez. there's a really fun descent out down from there which dumps you over back by orchard. takes about 90 minutes total.

mtbr member
    i'll likely be riding in briones this week after work-have to figure out what days work with the family. lots of back to school stuff going on. also have to do some work on my backup bike (brake calipers need recentering, etc) as my primary is out of commission awaiting a new brake rotor.

my normal late day ride in briones is to climb up the orchard side all the way up to the radar towers, then ride the ridgelines back towards martinez. there's a really fun descent out down from there which dumps you over back by orchard. takes about 90 minutes total.
    Let me know when you go. This is a good week for me, Tue or Wed are the best.

Feeling a little taller
    Morning or evening?

mtbr member
    Morning or evening?
    Either way - depending on what time you are talking about, the evening may be better. The evening on Wed probably isn't good though.

Feeling a little taller
    FYI, I commute to my office in Martinez by bike MWF which puts me in close commute to the Martinez-side entrances those evenings, although that usually means I also have the added weight of a delivery bag and the heat of the day lately.

T/Th EARLY morning or later evening I can go from home with lighter weight.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Last 2 days over here the weather has been marvy. Rode yesterday, ran it today.

I might be riding on Wednesday, depends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'm probably going to try to ride out there late this afternoon, around 5pm or so. have to change tires to something more 'briones' friendly (ie, climbing). wed/thurs for me look tough with back to back back to school nights.....

mtbr member
    i'm probably going to try to ride out there late this afternoon, around 5pm or so. have to change tires to something more 'briones' friendly (ie, climbing). wed/thurs for me look tough with back to back back to school nights.....
    I should be able to make it. Where are you leaving from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I should be able to make it. Where are you leaving from?
    i usually park in the alhambra staging lot and go from there.

Feeling a little taller
    I think I'm in, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

i'll be in the alhambra lot around 530pm today...

i'm in a tan toyota sienna minivan. any issues call me on my cell: 925 381 2625

i'm not a real fast climber but can get to the top. ok on the rest. hope that's ok...as a guide, impy's a decent amount faster on the climbs (but i'm trying!!).

mtbr member

See you at 5:30

i'm in a tan toyota sienna minivan. any issues call me on my cell: 925 381 2625

i'm not a real fast climber but can get to the top. ok on the rest. hope that's ok...as a guide, impy's a decent amount faster on the climbs (but i'm trying!!).

I am in a gold Ford Explorer, cell # 925-202-9133.

Feeling a little taller

What Fun!

That was a great ride! Thanks for guiding, "cohen5". And good to meet you, Ebayrider. It was good to put a name and face with the "handles".

Post it when you're ready for the Diablo Foothills or Black Diamond. I'm still looking to do Las Trampas on Monday morning.

Impy, did you say something about a wed eve ride?
    Last edited by Dan'ger; 08-31-2004 at 09:11 PM. Reason: better than posting anew

pewpewpew Moderator

Impy, did you say something about a wed eve ride?
    Let me know if you will definitely be there, and how long you want to ride for. I wanted to get a good ride in and was thinking of bike commuting instead of riding briones. But I can be swayed, if you get back to me before I leave for work in the am......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yup, that was a fun ride. i like the loop we did, plenty of climbing and a descent that's a little off the beaten path. now i need to get my bikes to work properly!!

i'll let you know when i can get to the foothills--unfortunately i will be doing some travelling so it might be a week or so.

Feeling a little taller
    Sorry I couldn't get back to you in time. I shut down the computer and pooped out shortly after posting.

What general vicinity do you commute to/from?

Feeling a little taller
    When ever, where ever. You can find me here, and I'll be ready to go as soon as I can figure out what was going on with my crank arm yesterday.

I probably need to tear it down, degrease and loctite the threads.

pewpewpew Moderator
    When ever, where ever. You can find me here, and I'll be ready to go as soon as I can figure out what was going on with my crank arm yesterday.

I didn't bike commute today, so if all goes well i will be at the staging area off reliez at 6 pm.

(BTW when I commute its from martinez to pinole)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I didn't bike commute today, so if all goes well i will be at the staging area off reliez at 6 pm.

(BTW when I commute its from martinez to pinole)
    impy have a good ride today--we missed you yesterday. i have a back to school night tonight (and tomorrow) otherwise i'd try to sneak out there....

Feeling a little taller
    I think I'll be there. I can't get enough of this nice cool evening weather.

If I drive, I'll be in a tan GMC Yukon. If I ride, I'll be on an Orange Jericho.

I bike commute from P.H. to Martinez - puts me in Briones shot either way - I've just got to leave bulky items at the office those days.

Feeling a little taller

... and if we just ... Great Ride!

I had fun yesterday, Impy. Thanks for the ride. Have fun in LA.

Now that I better know some people from the 24hr race, I might take part in it next year.

hands up who wants to die

oh man

I find it funny that 100+ replies can be generated on a thread about Briones.
    It has the be near the bottom of quality MTB spots in the greater Bay Area.

(no attack indended here; i used to ride there occasionally when I lived in Oakland; just finding a little amusement.)

-r

Feeling a little taller

New question here. Definition, please.

Perhaps it isn't the most technical place to ride, but for those of us who live close by and want a "quality" evening ride without disrupting family life too badly by travelling by car or gas sucking SUV; offers many miles of trails to choose from for a different ride every time.

I go there mostly because of convenience, but maybe I also enjoy a different kind of riding than you do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    I find it funny that 100+ replies can be generated on a thread about Briones.
    It has the be near the bottom of quality MTB spots in the greater Bay Area.

(no attack indended here; i used to ride there occasionally when I lived in Oakland; just finding a little amusement.)

-r
    Well when you have little things like children, a full time job, etc., your riding opportunities become much more limited. Given that l live literally 200 feet from an entrance to Briones and can be up on top of the ridge trail in 15 minutes from my front door, it allows me to ride when I otherwise couldn't (i.e. before work at 6:30 am). For many others, it is same thing, you have 1.5-2 hours to ride, do you want to spend an hour in the car to get to a great spot, and have half and hour to ride, or ride for 1.5 hours?

Besides, for all the complaints I hear about how crowded these other places are and rangers giving tickets, I rarely see people up where I ride in the mornings.

Feeling a little taller

Idea! Precisely

Nicely put.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i agree with you completely, cdmc. this thread has gotten long not because we are all singing briones' praises for technical riding repeatedly, but because it's a great park that a group of us can access really easily so we get to meet up and ride together. i don't see what's wrong with that.

as an aside, i can't believe you make it up to the top in 15 minutes--you must be some kind of climber. it takes me at least 45 minutes to make it to the cell towers from alhambra (with impy way in front of me!!).

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I am not that good of a climber, medocre at best. I should be clearer about my starting point and finish point for those 15 minutes. Starting point is near the lafayette bart with a paved climb up a private road that allows me to access the ridgetop trail. What I consider the top of the climb is right past the little multi use single track as you climb from Pleasant Hill road, where the road levels and then turns into rollers. Technically the top is further up the road, but for me, this is the climb that gets me into the park.

Alhambra to the Cell towers in 45 minutes is a good ride. I could probably do it in 45 on a good day with me setting my own climbing pace, but it would be a 100% effort and I wouldn't bet money on it. 1 hour would be safer for me, especially since I haven't been out in a week due to a cold.

hands up who wants to die
    I fully undestand the convenience factor; and that place is a great work out!

Sorry - my post was sorta pointless, but meant to be light. I was just amused that every couple days when I checked out the Norcal forum, Briones was at the top and the most-replied to of recent threads.

It's definitely a beautiful place at dusk, too.

keep turning 'em over.
    -rob in SF

Feeling a little taller

No granny gear.

I am not that good of a climber, medocre at best. I should be clearer about my starting point and finish point for those 15 minutes. Starting point is near the lafayette bart with a paved climb up a private road that allows me to access the ridgetop trail. What I consider the top of the climb is right past the little multi use single track as you climb from Pleasant Hill road, where the road levels and then turns into rollers. Technically the top is further up the road, but for me, this is the climb that gets me into the park.

Alhambra to the Cell towers in 45 minutes is a good ride. I could probably do it in 45 on a good day with me setting my own climbing pace, but it would be a 100% effort and I wouldn't bet money on it. 1 hour would be safer for me, especially since I haven't been out in a week due to a cold.
    I don't have a so-called granny gear on my bike, so I'm not a very strong long-slope climber, but it's usually only 45min to 1hr to start from the Alhambra Creek Staging Area to the antenna site. Getting back takes very little time at all.

Maps can be found via this link: http://www.ebparks.org/resources/resources_maps.htm (click on the Briones Link)

Route 1 (longer) starts by heading east on the Orchard Trail, continuing onto the Tree Trail or via Briones Road to the Maricich Lagoons. Continue south on the Briones Crest Trail and then to the Table Top Trail. I think the cell/cable antennas/dishes are located at the unnamed peak marker at 1433'.

Route 2 starts by heading south from the ACSA on the Alhambra Creek Trail, turning east on Spengler to the Maricich Lagoons. Once there it's the same.

If I ride from home (West on Grayson Rd toward Pleasant Hill) or work (North on Alhambra toward Martinez), I usually start at the Alhambra Creek Staging routes, but take different routes back - I usually prefer to ride a continuous loop.

The one I like most is to ride from near Table Top North-East on Spengler to Blue Oak to the staging area near Gloria. This is steep, winding and good for downhill only - I don't recommend climbing it unless you really want to walk or burn.

Hope that clarifies things a little better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How is the climb on route 1? I have always gone on route 2 which is a bit steep but doable.

Feeling a little taller
    It's a little less steep over all and has some short rolling drops that are good for catching breath before climbing again. Recently there are some spots that have been plowed under that are too soft to ride. It's still fun for a return route.

pewpewpew Moderator
    I like briones because it is a great workout that I can ride to from home, and it keeps me in good shape for the days that I can get away to the really fun trails. It's my "road" riding (spinning) since I don't have a road bike.

And there are some very nice people who ride there as well. I'm actually going to miss the place when i migrate south, not as much tree coverage in the Santa Monica Mountains.

But yea the main reason this keeps popping up on the board is simply because those of us who ride there like to fart around on the computer a lot.

PS: fun ride dan'ger, hope to see you again soon!

Feeling a little taller

Friday Afternoon (Today)

Anybody interested in joining me in a ride over at Briones this afternoon 5-ish?

pewpewpew Moderator
    Anybody interested in joining me in a ride over at Briones this afternoon 5-ish?
    Wish I could but i'm headed south this weekend ... have a good one