mtbr member
    Sep 2015

braille comparison to pacifica trails

I have not ridden at Demo. Heard that Braille is the more difficult option and has some steep sections. Was curious as to how it compares with Mile, Crack or the 3-letter trail in Pacifica in in regards to difficulty / crash consequences? The stuff I've seen and/or ridden up on Montara is pretty gnarly in my opinion. Plan to do Demo early next year after some rain comes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've only done Pacifica once - but the Mile steep rock garden is way more gnarly than anything on Braille. Braille is in the forest under tree cover. It's just a steep fast 1000ft descent with bypass lines if you don't want air or big hucks. Of course there are still major consequences if you get out of control going 35-40mph. But otherwise it's a very manageable trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you're comfy with the Pacifica trails, try not to fall asleep on Braille.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I ride both places pretty regularly. Braille is like a mix between mile and boyscout. Itís got a lot of man made but natural looking features. Along with the steepness of mile in some sections. Braille flows very well like boyscout does and is considerably longer than both mile and boyscout.

Bring your climbing legs and all necessary nutrition for a two hour ride with long climbing sections. Thatís if you do one lap. Bring someone who knows the place to maximize your fun.

Flow trail is the other option out there. Itís pretty beat up the last time I rode it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by houst View Post
    I have not ridden at Demo. Heard that Braille is the more difficult option and has some steep sections. Was curious as to how it compares with Mile, Crack or the 3-letter trail in Pacifica in in regards to difficulty / crash consequences? The stuff I've seen and/or ridden up on Montara is pretty gnarly in my opinion. Plan to do Demo early next year after some rain comes.
    It is completely apples and oranges, but I think almost everybody would agree that Braille, or pretty much almost any other trail in the BA, is significantly easier than those Pacifica trails you mentioned - IMO Braille is generally more like a blue trail - it is definitely steep for a legal trail and has some mildly rooty/tech sections, but if you can ride those other trails, Braille should be pretty straightforward - although I'm guessing it is probably pretty blown out around now - it is a totally different trail in hero conditions

What makes Braille slightly dangerous / slightly sketch IMO is that the generally small features can be a bit janky/sketchy and are all pretty much all huck-to-flat - there are no landings to the drops and the features are mostly just fairly narrow planks of wood to blind landings that do not really inspire confidence to hit at high speed

Like I said though, you should have no problems if you are just riding under control and not sending all the hucks to flat

Hella Olde
    Link removed -DH40

These kids are good - too good for me.
    Last edited by DH40; 1 Week Ago at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    ^^^ This.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    If I rode there I would not want that video to get attention.
    Cat out of bag years ago. There are tons of videos by local builders. I don't feel guilty for linking it here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    I don't feel guilty for linking it here.
    You should feel guilty for making me feel like an inadequate rider

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I guess I'm glad I didn't try XXX when I went there, I always want to know I have the option to bypass gaps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    I think that was definitely the most eloquent and accurate way to answer the question. Totally on point.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Cat out of bag years ago. There are tons of videos by local builders. I don't feel guilty for linking it here.
    OK. I hadn't seen any video, but I definitely know of the trails.

Hella Olde
    OK. I hadn't seen any video, but I definitely know of the trails.
    Yeah there was def a time when I would lowkey scold people for putting them up, but the mindset seems to have changed. I've met quite a few builders there and some have even pointed me to public videos. If someone knows otherwise, however, I'm all ears. I usually don't post video links, but i thought the riding was tight and showed some of the gnar available down there for comparison.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    You should feel guilty for making me feel like an inadequate rider
    Right there with ya! The big-boy line on Boy Scout is too intimidating for me. Pointy tombstone lips I avoid.

mtbr member
    Yeah there was def a time when I would lowkey scold people for putting them up, but the mindset seems to have changed. I've met quite a few builders there and some have even pointed me to public videos. If someone knows otherwise, however, I'm all ears. I usually don't post video links, but i thought the riding was tight and showed some of the gnar available down there for comparison.
    Well I'm still in the lowkey scolding mindset. Some of the builders I know who built a lot of that stuff are not into this. It's really the same logic that Strava apologists use, "well everyone else is doing it so it doesn't matter if I'm riding these illegal trails and adding to the heat map" etc. Yeah, anyone can search Youtube and find that video. That doesn't mean you have to make it easier to find by posting it in yet another searchable internet site. It would be fine if they just made it less obvious by pulling the names and obvious start point (super easy to do but people are lazy). Hell I've posted vids from there but I at least make a small effort to make it not blatant. Particularly since I didn't build the trails.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Well I'm still in the lowkey scolding mindset. Some of the builders I know who built a lot of that stuff are not into this. It's really the same logic that Strava apologists use, "well everyone else is doing it so it doesn't matter if I'm riding these illegal trails and adding to the heat map" etc. Yeah, anyone can search Youtube and find that video. That doesn't mean you have to make it easier to find by posting it in yet another searchable internet site. It would be fine if they just made it less obvious by pulling the names and obvious start point (super easy to do but people are lazy). Hell I've posted vids from there but I at least make a small effort to make it not blatant. Particularly since I didn't build the trails.

OK fair enough. The link was for the OP anyway not for MTBR perpetuity - removed.

The Machinist quoted my post, however, so there's that....

Hella Olde
    If I rode there I would not want that video to get attention.
    Hey there - can you edit out the link I posted. it served its porpoise and looks fishy now.

mtbr member
    Cool. Funny thing is the OP apparently already rides there so knows those trails so no reason to post the vid right? If we all just stuck to the topic... focus people!

We should meet up in P-town sometime. Whoops, back to topic...

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Cool. Funny thing is the OP apparently already rides there so knows those trails so no reason to post the vid right? If we all just stuck to the topic... focus people!

We should meet up in P-town sometime. Whoops, back to topic...
    You're right! What a crackhead I've become. I'd probably show up a day late for a meetup, anyway. I just picked up a DH bike and that's the only place i can think of to break it in.....gotta get down there soon.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Well I'm glad DH40 posted the link, so I could at least see the trails in question. I would never ride there myself. Looks like legit bike park style jumps, which is awesome if you've got the cajones but I image those trails would weed out the posers almost immediately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    It is completely apples and oranges, but I think almost everybody would agree that Braille, or pretty much almost any other trail in the BA, is significantly easier than those Pacifica trails you mentioned - IMO Braille is generally more like a blue trail - it is definitely steep for a legal trail and has some mildly rooty/tech sections, but if you can ride those other trails, Braille should be pretty straightforward - although I'm guessing it is probably pretty blown out around now - it is a totally different trail in hero conditions

What makes Braille slightly dangerous / slightly sketch IMO is that the generally small features can be a bit janky/sketchy and are all pretty much all huck-to-flat - there are no landings to the drops and the features are mostly just fairly narrow planks of wood to blind landings that do not really inspire confidence to hit at high speed

Like I said though, you should have no problems if you are just riding under control and not sending all the hucks to flat
    Dude...you are high. I imagine you also think the caravan heading to the US is a massive national security threat. Yes...POcifica is WAY more challenging but Braille is no blue trail, Sir. That's an obnoxious and pretentious, dare I say egregious, declaration. If you ride it right, it's pretty badass. Even if you don't, most people here will have a better time at Demo over POcifica. (JimW, you don't fvcking count because you are an animal).

Your assessment of janky drops, flat landings, and blind landing is patently false. There are no janky jumps right now and all the landings are reasonably angled. I guess they are flat if you are just pinning the sh!t out of it but Braille is meant to be savored not handled in 5 minutes. The jumps are not huge but many here would think them next level.

I think POcifica is fine if you have good insurance and don't care about penalties. I am admitting here that I am a pansy when it comes to POcifica. That place eats bikes and tentative riders alive and I am personally not keen on the consequences that that place will dole out if you're off your game.

I'll take Braille over Pacifica all day long...but I am also 30 minutes away so.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I guess they are flat if you are just pinning the sh!t out of it but Braille is meant to be savored not handled in 5 minutes.
    Do you even Strava, bro??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Dude...you are high. I imagine you also think the caravan heading to the US is a massive national security threat. Yes...POcifica is WAY more challenging but Braille is no blue trail, Sir. That's an obnoxious and pretentious, dare I say egregious, declaration. If you ride it right, it's pretty badass. Even if you don't, most people here will have a better time at Demo over POcifica. (JimW, you don't fvcking count because you are an animal).

Your assessment of janky drops, flat landings, and blind landing is patently false. There are no janky jumps right now and all the landings are reasonably angled. I guess they are flat if you are just pinning the sh!t out of it but Braille is meant to be savored not handled in 5 minutes. The jumps are not huge but many here would think them next level.

I think POcifica is fine if you have good insurance and don't care about penalties. I am admitting here that I am a pansy when it comes to POcifica. That place eats bikes and tentative riders alive and I am personally not keen on the consequences that that place will dole out if you're off your game.

I'll take Braille over Pacifica all day long...but I am also 30 minutes away so.
    Trail rating is relative, and I like to define them on a more global scale. (Not everyone lives in the Bay Area). So in comparison to the stuff up in the PNW and beyond, I would argue that Braille is a blue/intermediate. Any rider with a decent skill set off-road should be able to make their way down it. But yet it still offers to challenges to even the fastest endurobros. Hence therefore, it can be classified as a trail ranking in the middle ground, or a blue.

Moderator Moderator
    These types of trails are now called Purple.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Braille would be a tougher blue square in Squamish/Whistler Valley, although a legit single black diamond if the various features were mandatory. Itís hard enough for me!

Thanks to DH40 for posting the Pacifica vid and reminding me why Iím afraid to ride there until I learn how to manual and jump properly.

mtbr member
    Hey there - can you edit out the link I posted. it served its porpoise and looks fishy now.
    Looks like mods did it before I got back here. The video was amazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Trail rating is relative, and I like to define them on a more global scale. (Not everyone lives in the Bay Area). So in comparison to the stuff up in the PNW and beyond, I would argue that Braille is a blue/intermediate. Any rider with a decent skill set off-road should be able to make their way down it. But yet it still offers to challenges to even the fastest endurobros. Hence therefore, it can be classified as a trail ranking in the middle ground, or a blue.
    ^^This. I personally think Braille is a pretty solid blue trail. My girlfriend would definitely consider herself more of an intermediate/beginner rider and has no problem riding Braille. She didn't hit the optional jumps, but was able to ride down all mandatory stuff with ease. That being said I love Braille, and make an effort to ride it anytime I visit the Bay Area.

fc
    head minion Administrator

braille comparison to pacifica trails

Braille, in its base form is not that hard. There's only a couple steep and rocky parts. And every jump is optional.

But there's about 20 jumps in there that make it interesting. And doing it around 5 minutes makes it hairy.

So do every jump, very fast... advanced trail.
    Last edited by fc; 1 Week Ago at 02:09 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    FC - your Rylo is shaky compared the footage my buddy gets on his. Maybe you need to adjust your HSR ;-)

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    FC - your Rylo is shaky compared the footage my buddy gets on his. Maybe you need to adjust your HSR ;-)
    Rylo, like the GoPro 7 stabilization is only good on very bright light conditions. Dark singletrack is schit.

They saw my review and they said they are fixing it tomorrow! They are sending an engineer to have lunch with me. Serious!

Rylo review - 360 camera- Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Those are crazy, I believe Anneke Beerten is sponsored by them. How does the camera decide when to rotate the perspective? She does those crazy surreal clips where the POV is floating above her helmet and tracking from all kinds of angles. Weird stuff - have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Braille, in its base form is not that hard. There's only a couple steep and rocky parts. And every jump is optional.

But there's about 20 jumps in there that make it interesting. And doing it around 5 minutes makes it hairy.

So do every jump, very fast... advanced trail.

Rylo video this month.

https://www.facebook.com/francoismtb...503213/?type=3
    Is that a shimano e8000 display in boost? Pretty bold posting that here
    Last edited by ananth; 1 Week Ago at 03:19 PM.