Boggs being converted to ORV park...- Mtbr.com
    MTBr ReMember

Boggs being converted to ORV park...

...Thought you all would be interested in this:

The new Off Road Vehicle campground at Boggs forest is now open.

Thanks to the efforts of Mushroom Joe and Kelly the Lake County Crawlers 4 Wheel drive club has a new camp with custom made fire ring and BB-Q.
    The camp is at the south end of road 100 in a beautiful secluded spot under the canopy.
    I have attached a couple of photos of the fire ring and BBQ.
    The fire ring is awesome it has the Lake County Crawlers and the names of Mushroom Joe, Kelly, Gerri and of course Forest Wayne artfully welded into the Geothermal drill casing...Excellent work guys!!!

Big props to Wayne Conner the forest manager for his approval and direction on getting this project done!!!
    Wayne does a fantastic job of balancing the multiple use nature of Boggs forest keeping us all happy and occupied with events and projects.

Wayne also hired Gerri, Kelly's wife so we now have an assistant in the forest office to help Wayne keep things running.

In a small community like Cobb it's great to see our forest run as a Family operation.
    Having two 4 wheelers myself I am looking forward to upcoming events at the new campground!

For those of you who are not familiar with the Lake County Crawlers, they are the Jeep guys you see up at Boggs keeping an eye on things.
    Last weekend they came up to the NorCal Highschool Mountainbike race and cruised around making sure that the event was in order and that
    there was open access to the race course and multiuse campground.
    I am looking forward to joining in at the Crawlers events to show my gratitude for all the efforts they have put in at the mountainbike events.

I spoke with Mushroom Joe and Kelly on Saturday during the bike event.
    They showed their leadership and concern in taking care of our community asset.
    Kelly even told me that he will be building the new Kiosk at the entrance to the forest!!!
    Thanks Kelly...

For more info on the new camp and upcoming events call the forest office at 707-928-4378.
    I am sure Wayne of Gerri will be glad to answer your questions...

See ya' on the trails...
    Tim

These are the guys who tear down the course markings at the BillyCross races and worked to get Gail, Norm ( the former forest manager) and Hoz out of their personal playground....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I thought this was going to be a 4x4 bashing post for some reason -- I was pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by SPDu4ea; 05-03-2006 at 05:45 PM.

So it goes.....
    "I thought this was going to be a 4x4 bashing post for some reason -- I was pleasantly surprised"

Hmmm....I think that although UncleMTB may not be "bashing" 4X4's in this post he is being somewhat "sarcastic" about the situation up at Boggs.....I of course could be wrong

Anyway stealing the thread...Hey UncleMTB! I was up riding Boggs for the first time this weekend with some buddies of mine (we were the group of Kona owners talking with you on Friday afternoon by your truck asking about routes...). Again thanks for your map of the park including the route of the race on Saturday .

-Dawg

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Am I reading this right?

Quote "Last weekend they came up to the NorCal Highschool Mountainbike race and cruised around making sure that the event was in order and that
    there was open access to the race course and multiuse campground."

So they drove around in there 4x4s while there was a race going on, just to show that they could.

MTBr ReMember
    That is correct...
    They have driven onto the course and endangered the riders repeatedly, and did the same Saturday...with the approval of the forest manager!
    This is their way of saying this is their "Sandbox"...
    Boggs is owned by the State of California so the rights and responsibilities are shared by 30 million of us ( give or take a few million ).
    They were trying to do this campground thing without anyone noticing...I just felt that it should be known by other users that this was happening.
    When you come up for MayByTheBay bring your jeep...I will bring the Glomar.
    Tim

Sucks!

I guess Knoxville and Tahoe and Cow Mountain and (what's that ORV place in Mendocino Co.) aren't close enough for 'em.

Hella Olde
    Another victory for the good guys!
    America rules!
    4X4s kick ass!
    huuuuuaaaagh!
    Cowboy up!

argggggh.

MTBr ReMember
    Old Dawg.
    Hope you guys got that rear wheel thing worked out.
    Come up any time...

Velocipus,
    There are three ORV area's in Lake county that I know of:
    Elk Mountain, Cow Mountain and the one near Letts lake.

I have been a motorcyclist and 4 wheeled for all my adult life.
    I now choose to run my wheels with oatmeal...
    The point is that they don't want to share and they use bully tactics to make their point and are not interested in any other point.
    I am working with the hikers and other trail users regarding how to have a closed course and not keep them from using the rest of Boggs when we have events
    These guys are a lot more offensive to the hikers then they are to MTBr's.
    After all they want the same things we do...A store that sells burrito's and beer at the trailhead, next to their back yard.
    Sound like heaven?
    Too bad the burrito's are all the way in Middletown!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMTB
    Old Dawg.
    Hope you guys got that rear wheel thing worked out.
    Come up any time...

Velocipus,
    There are three ORV area's in Lake county that I know of:
    Elk Mountain, Cow Mountain and the one near Letts lake.

I have been a motorcyclist and 4 wheeled for all my adult life.
    I now choose to run my wheels with oatmeal...
    The point is that they don't want to share and they use bully tactics to make their point and are not interested in any other point.
    Tim
    I'm with you. I still have my CR80 that I used to race and rip around on when i was a wee lad. I grew up camping in the Sierras with the Golden Gators Jeep Club. It sucks that they don't want to play nice and share even though they seem to already have a good selection a places to play mith their man-toys (I know there are women 4wheelers too, but "man-toy" is what my ex-gfriend called my mountain bike... thought it appropriate.)

jrm
    mtbr member

Its still a State Park..

That is correct...
    They have driven onto the course and endangered the riders repeatedly, and did the same Saturday...with the approval of the forest manager!
    This is their way of saying this is their "Sandbox"...
    Boggs is owned by the State of California so the rights and responsibilities are shared by 30 million of us ( give or take a few million ).
    They were trying to do this campground thing without anyone noticing...I just felt that it should be known by other users that this was happening.
    When you come up for MayByTheBay bring your jeep...I will bring the Glomar.
    Tim

And if they improved any part of the park they'd need a permit to do so. In regard to their behavior towards other users. All there has to be is a few reports of user conflicts or injury due to a conflcit and the quadtards tudes will change or they'll get kicked out.

Even though there isnt a local ranger now there is a regional supervisor or something right? And if there in on this then you might go above them other wise you might make them aware of the potential for conflicts given their behavior at the last race..

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Hey, another 4 wheeler. This is definitely good news. I wished there were more wheelers & MTB'ers that got along.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    And if they improved any part of the park they'd need a permit to do so. In regard to their behavior towards other users. All there has to be is a few reports of user conflicts or injury due to a conflcit and the quadtards tudes will change or they'll get kicked out.

Even though there isnt a local ranger now there is a regional supervisor or something right? And if there in on this then you might go above them other wise you might make them aware of the potential for conflicts given their behavior at the last race..
    The Forest Manager is "Forest Wayne". If you wanted to report a conflict you would report it to him. Most likely when you call Gerri will answer the phone. Sort of throws all objectivity out the window. It's tough to get the buddies of the guy in charge of the forest kicked out. The system only works when there are reasonable people in positions of authority.

Last edited by Ogre; 05-04-2006 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    So how does this affect most of the MTB trails at boggs? I seem to remember that most trails were singletrack, too small for a jeep (but I suppose you could ride a motorcycle on it), with a few fire roads. Are we likely to run into those guys at MBTB? Is their campground near where we usually camp?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

jrm
    mtbr member

Thats why..

thats why you take the issue outside and above the relationship between the forest mgr. and the quadtards. What the forest mgr has allowed could be illegal based on the programable environmental impact report (EIR) that outlines what improvements and uses are and arent allowed on state property. Another consideration is that the EIR i spoke of eariler has stipulations in it regarding the oversight of any new improvement or use by state and federal resource agencies. With this recent item any one concerned could call say the Dept of Fish and Game and ask them what can and cant be done in the park.

80% of the problems are systematic. But that doesnt assume that the problems are inherant to the system in aggregate..

MTBr ReMember
    John,
    It is a state forest but still requires review which was not done.
    We are looking at the installation to see if it is "permanant".
    The Superintendant is on my E-mail list and will be visiting for a unrelated talk on the 13th of May which just happens to be the day we are setting up the next BillyCross race.

Bill
    It isn't an issue for our normal Gatherings as we don't get a special use permit and we don't close any of the trails or roads. The camp is two miles away and off the single track...At least till we build new trails to it...

I do believe I see a nice chance at getting a DH shuttle run from High Point to the Jeep camp which is at the bottom of the forest!!!

The forest rules state that the designated campgrounds are first come first served so it could get a lot of use what with maybe a free ride park on that side of the forest...

I don't think Wayne knows just how many 4wheelers and M/C have MTB interests.

See ya' in Auburn,
    Tim

jrm
    mtbr member

Auburn huh?

John,
    It is a state forest but still requires review which was not done.
    We are looking at the installation to see if it is "permanant".
    The Superintendant is on my E-mail list and will be visiting for a unrelated talk on the 13th of May which just happens to be the day we are setting up the next BillyCross race.

Bill
    It isn't an issue for our normal Gatherings as we don't get a special use permit and we don't close any of the trails or roads. The camp is two miles away and off the single track...At least till we build new trails to it...

I do believe I see a nice chance at getting a DH shuttle run from High Point to the Jeep camp which is at the bottom of the forest!!!

The forest rules state that the designated campgrounds are first come first served so it could get a lot of use what with maybe a free ride park on that side of the forest...

I don't think Wayne knows just how many 4wheelers and M/C have MTB interests.

See ya' in Auburn,
    Tim

What i'd do is document the imprvement with pics and maybe a schmatic drawing. and any incidents that have happened. Then present these to the supervisor after his visit, and at the sametime send them to other stakholders called out in the EIR. This way the super will have justify the actions of his staff to the other stakeholders.

There may not have been a campsite there before because a stakeholder (resource or regulatory agency) may have determined that, that part of the forests resources (trees, critters, topography) couldnt suppport more human impact then whats called out in the EIR.

Coors, the american beer.
    wait why are some of you guys trying to get rid of the 4 wheel drive guys? I dont understand what the problem with them is ... if they want to put up a campground thats ok isnt it? After all they did have permission. The forest belongs to everyone does it not?
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

MTBr ReMember
    Melt,
    If you know more about Boggs because of this post then I have done what I set out to do.

If there is a user conflict happening in Jackson or Soquel demo forest I want to hear about it...
    I may want more or less, of whatever is happening but I want to know.
    So now you know...

Come up and ride there is new single track...
    Tim

Dec 2004

This is good Yah!

In all my years of MTBing I have never,never had any problem with Jeepers or Wheelers. There is a jeep trail in Bear Valley ( Slick Rock ) that Most of us Trogs ride when the Snow melts every year in and year out. We all ways seem to run across a club or too on our venture. We all ways stop and watch them crawl over the K narly rocks and terrain.

The Wheelers mention to us all the time that they think we are CRAZY for riding our MTB on that trail. We all talk it up and have a lot of fun doing so. Out of all people that I would want to be stuck with in the Forest, Camping or on the trails I would have no probs with a Jeep or Wheelers Club. More power to them. More space for them means more space for us.

Beisdes I have 3 TRUCKS. Been there done that and still working on one. V8 Horse Power you got to love it.

mtbr member
    The only time I've shared a trail with ORV's is at Downieville. The motorcycles had to pull over to let the bikes pass them. The switchbacks were too tight for the motorcycles. Ha.

But I suppose that as long as they follow the same rules all the other trail users are expected to follow, it shouldn't be a big deal.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Members who have read this thread: 0