BKXC Santa Cruz- Mtbr.com

Thread: BKXC Santa Cruz

mtbr member
    May 2018

BKXC Santa Cruz

Full of local radness from the Ibis factory, MBoSC HQ, Drew and Emma follow cams, the new Engelsman reroute, and a good cause! Nice one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_fN_Z4060&t=973s

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I want to move to Santa Cruz once I get my degree

NedwannaB
    Every other utoober is testing the new G4 Ripley.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member

BKXC Santa Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Every other utoober is testing the new G4 Ripley.
    Cheap advertisement. Extremely low risk investment unlike professional racers who can get injured and “waste” a whole year.

mtbr member
    It is bemusing to see the new G4 Ripley advertising strategy includes getting every youtube personality to give their hot take on it. Meh, if it works, good for them.

OTOH, I'm stoked to see Ibis step forward and take some credit for the cool stuff they do to support trail advocacy and their support for MBoSC and trail stewardship, it's well deserved. I'm also glad to see BKXC talk about (and pitch in at a Demo Drop-in) the need to (and benefits of) volunteer and give back to your local trails. He's done 1 or 2 videos on this topic before, but would love to see more of that from him and his fellow youtubers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    No Kidding. YouTube is becoming one large commercial for products.

With that, the comments made by these people becomes far less credible. A paid commercial isn't meant to talk poorly about a product.

BK makes good content. And he does let us know he won't review things that sponsored or given due to his own bias. Tha's fair and appreciated.
    I don't watch as much of his lately, sort of, because his videos are getting too long.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    No Kidding. YouTube is becoming one large commercial for products.
    That's no coincidence - Google is looking for return on their 1.65 billion dollar investment.
    My Favorite Peeps:

banned
    Apr 2019
    He has a lot of subscribers. Over a quarter of a million, which is a lot for an mtb channel, as opposed to a general lifestyle channel, which can attract subscribers by the millions.

What's odd is that I saw multiple youtubers featured by manufacturers at their tents who had much lower subscriber counts. SydandMacky for example are at 25K subscribers. They were sponsored by Vittoria. Awesomemtb as well, with around 14K subscribers were also sponsored (don't recall the manufacturer).

It seems like the bar for sponsorship is set pretty low: a couple dozen thousand subscribers and you are on the radar for product placement, review and endorsement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I didn't see a strava route for it on his strava acct, how did he link all the trails?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Syd and Macky are sponsored because they are Pro Enduro racers. Not because they are YouTubers.

Paul the Punter (I. E. The man behind Pinkbike the Privateer + others) started his own company to hep get YouTubers sponsored this year. There has been an explosion in sponsorship from large companies for YouTubers as a result (Syd and Macky weren't one of them).

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yeah, Brian has done good. He does good editing and and interesting content. It's more than just riding these days, keeps it from getting stale.

Seem the amount of subscribes is important, but not defining. I don't subscribe to any, yet I watch them all.
    Every one of the big names in MTB YouTube has room for improvement -they have all gotten comfortable in front of the camera which means they have become sloppy. Yet they still have a following and people listen to what they have to say about a product.

I'll stay tuned to to BK's Santa Cruz segment to see what's going on, just out of curiosity since SC isn't TOO far from me.

I appreciate the "pro YouTubers" cutting the path (no pun intended) for content. Gives me ideas for what I want to record, and what I do not like as well. I'm not fancy with my content but it works for friends and family and I don't make it corny like a bunch of home videos we all made when we first started. LOL

Moderator Moderator
    I like how Drew rides every part of the trail. Like surfing, no need to rush, let it flow.

Here's a bit of trivia: Can anyone guess where the railing design on the Emma McCrary bridge came from?