Bike Storage in the City- Mtbr.com
    Hi.

Bike Storage in the City

So I just moved to SF, and I'm trying to figure out where to store my bikes. I'm in a flat without an enclosed garage, and I was thinking of building a lockable bike "closet" to put near my parking space that will keep my bikes (6 of them.) I have the room for the closet, and I also have room on the rooftop balcony, but I'm not too keen on hanging the bikes inside the apartment (most are MTBs.)

How do you store your bikes? Do you keep them inside, outside, or do you pay for monthly storage?

Any ideas are appreciated, as are pics if you have them.

ballbuster

Rooftop is probably better

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    So I just moved to SF, and I'm trying to figure out where to store my bikes. I'm in a flat without an enclosed garage, and I was thinking of building a lockable bike "closet" to put near my parking space that will keep my bikes (6 of them.) I have the room for the closet, and I also have room on the rooftop balcony, but I'm not too keen on hanging the bikes inside the apartment (most are MTBs.)

How do you store your bikes? Do you keep them inside, outside, or do you pay for monthly storage?

Any ideas are appreciated, as are pics if you have them.
    Anything is going to grow legs in the city. Building a closet is a good idea, as long as its built in a secure manner. Like, no exposed screws that can be backed out or drilled out, or walls that can be axed or cut through with a saw. I wouldn't put any of this in an open garage, no matter how strong you think your locks and chains are.

mtbr member
    Man, this is a huge deal in my apt. I have 4 bikes and no storage. Right now 3 of them they are "neatly" arranged around my living room table and one lives in my office, but my wife is not a big fan of this arrangement. My boss probably isn't either. I also sometimes kept my old road bike in the garage with the wheels removed but it got stolen last week, second bike I've had stolen from a "secure" garage.

I looked for monthly storage but couldn't find anything close buy and really nothing is safe unless its in your apartment. Bike thiefs in the city know what they are doing. I actually caught my whole bike theft last week on video, the guys were no joke. They broke into our garage on Presidio (super busy) in broad daylight stole a wheel from another bike in our garage, put it on my bike, put a helmet on and bailed.

If you come up with anything good let me know, especially for muddy mt bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I keep my bikes indoors using a freestanding bike rack (several companies put their name on this rack, currently Performance calls it the Xport Bikes Aloft 2 and it is on sale now). You can get 4 bikes on it if you get the extra rubber cradles. Some suspension bikes can be difficult to hang but you can put those bikes on the ground in front. I don't worry about mud - I just bounce the bike a few times on the ground before I bring it inside. Sure, a little dirt and mud fall onto the floor, but as long as you keep the mess to the one area, it's no big deal. I managed to find wall space in a tiny studio (under 400 sq feet) for this rack, so I'm sure you can too.

aka baycat
    If it is your own private garage. Seen people anchor hooks into the walls and then cable lock their bikes up. But even heard of thiefs stealing that way when you leave your garage door open. A stand alone lockable bike closet might be the best bet. As you have your closed garage and locked closet as 2x the security. And then maybe hide a pit bull in the closet.

We have a storage unit in our building that I store my bike in. Fits nicely and enough room down there to do any other mechanical repairs on the bike. A future bike can live in the apartment but will be nicely hanging on a wall.

mtbr member
    Good luck. Only thing I can say is GET RENTERS INSURANCE TODAY. I had 2 really nice (locked) bikes stolen out of our "secure" garage, another beater 10 speed, and my neighbor had his fork and front wheel stolen off his DH bike. I don't believe you can build a secure enough bike locker. If people see your bikes in there, you literally have crack head zombies who will do whatever it takes to get inside. It's like a bad 80s horror movie. They have nothing to lose if they get caught, so it really doesn't matter to them. Maybe something up on the roof would work, unless people can gain access to your roof from a neighboring building. Also, it all depends on what neighborhood you live in. Not sure where you're living, but we lived in the mission and it was terrible for bike theft.
    Last edited by maleonardphi; 08-26-2010 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Just to reiterate, call today about renters/homeowners insurance. We were paying about $125 a year, and when my two mountain bikes were stolen, I got about $10K out of the insurance company. We use State Farm and our agents name is Frank Lew 415-759-2081. I don't work for him, or am in anyway affiliated with any insurance company. But even with a $500 deductible, it was nice to get my bikes replaced.

mtbr member
    wut ^ said.

When I lived in the City, I kept 3 bikes in the kitchen/dining area.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi
    Good luck. Only thing I can say is GET RENTERS INSURANCE TODAY. I had 2 really nice (locked) bikes stolen out of our "secure" garage, another beater 10 speed, and my neighbor had his fork and front wheel stolen off his DH bike. I don't believe you can build a secure enough bike locker. If people see your bikes in their, you literally have crack head zombies who will do whatever it takes to get inside. It's like a bad 80s horror movie. They have nothing to lose if they get caught, so it really doesn't matter to them. Maybe something up on the roof would work, unless people can gain access to your roof from a neighboring building. Also, it all depends on what neighborhood you live in. Not sure where you're living, but we lived in the mission and it was terrible for bike theft.

Yeah I have renter's insurance, and I'm in Noe Valley up on the hill. Shouldn't be too many crack-head zombies roaming the streets .

Roof sounds like a good idea, but bringing the bikes up and down the stairs might be a PITA.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it!!

mtbr member
    Our most recent break in was on Presidio and Clay. There is some foot traffic but it's a nice area. It's San Francisco! The crack head zombies are everywhere

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    I'm in Noe Valley up on the hill. Shouldn't be too many crack-head zombies roaming the streets
    Shouldn't be, but there are. The multi-unit garage next to my apt building got cleaned out a few weeks ago, multiple cars broken into and bikes stolen.

Plus Aug/Sept is always bad for property crime in SF it seems. Kids back to school, meeting new friends, doing stupid stuff together, etc.

Hi.
    Looks like the gf is cool with letting me store the bikes in the spare bedroom. Now all I need is to haul my toolchest and stand up there, and the shop will be complete!

Members who have read this thread: 0