Bike Skills clinic?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bike Skills clinic?

Anyone here ever done one of these clinics by BikeSkills?

It seems like it could be fun. Maybe we could gather a whole bunch of MTBR people and take over a clinic?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

aka baycat

So it goes.....
    What I am wondering is do they have skill clinics for kids who are beginners. Both my daughters (ages 9 and 11) will be with me on Sunday. They both have mountain bikes and love to ride on the local bike path and dirt trails of the nearby park. However they don't like "listening" to me when it comes to teaching them things like biking or skiing....

It would be cool if they have a real easy beginner/kids skill clinic to help them build the confidence necessary to mountain bike - sorta like a downhill ski class/clinic. Would also give me more time to demo some nice bikes too
    It's the search....not the find

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Took one last year. Was very cool. Rode with Joe Lawwill, Forest Arakawa and Chis Duncan. Duncan in particular is one of the most gifted educators I've ever met. I'm a professional educator, so I know a little something about effective teaching.

All the guys were great. Also got to meet Mark Weir. In any event, IMHO, it's money well spent.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Great Idea

Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    Anyone here ever done one of these clinics by BikeSkills?

It seems like it could be fun. Maybe we could gather a whole bunch of MTBR people and take over a clinic?
    Hi Guru,

I would be very interested in that option however I may just pull the trigger and attend the class offered on 9/24/06. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Michael

gimme friction

Wut up, Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dawg
    What I am wondering is do they have skill clinics for kids who are beginners. Both my daughters (ages 9 and 11) will be with me on Sunday. They both have mountain bikes and love to ride on the local bike path and dirt trails of the nearby park. However they don't like "listening" to me when it comes to teaching them things like biking or skiing....

It would be cool if they have a real easy beginner/kids skill clinic to help them build the confidence necessary to mountain bike - sorta like a downhill ski class/clinic. Would also give me more time to demo some nice bikes too

The last couple of years at Ales & Trails, they have had women-only bike skills classes. I think the kids would get alot of positive encouragement from the women who put on these classes.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia
    The last couple of years at Ales & Trails, they have had women-only bike skills classes. I think the kids would get alot of positive encouragement from the women who put on these classes.
    Wasn't it run by the Luna Chix?
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Feeling a little taller
    I could see doing one of these classes. It looks like the upcoming NorCal classes are all Dirt Jumping. Not that I'm against DJ; I've even got a DJ bike and a full-face helmet.

Anyway, if we figure it all out, I'm in.

(disclaimer - rider may be subject to prior engagements that rider may have no control over)
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    (disclaimer - rider may be subject to prior engagements that rider may have no control over)
    Sounds like a new signature to me.

I'd be interested in doing a class like this as well. Although like Dan'ger (disclaimer - rider may be subject to prior engagements that rider may have no control over)

mtbr member

The Skills Factory

Mad Cat Bikes in Sacramento gives clinics regularly but at about a third the price! There is a "stability over technical terrain" clinic at Rockville on Sat the 23rd for $35. Although I haven't attended one yet, I know the guys in the shop are real cool and their team does well at the local Prairie City races. Check out http://www.madcatbikes.com/ or their site for a proposed mtn bike community center @ http://theskillsfactory.com/.
    Rollin' rocks will never die...

another day at the office
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dawg

Chris Duncan leads the Bikeskills classes along with other instructors. I posted a news release last week.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=224062
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

nerfherder
    Props to the Mad Cat gang because their $35 offering is a killer value. I hope they're program takes off because formal skills instruction is something that's really missing from our sport. BikeSkills classes are more money but we think worth it because you get instruction from current and former pro riders like Lawwill, Duncan, and Forrest Arakawa (and sometimes Lopes, Weir, Voreis, etc.).

Joe Lawwill's clinics are based out of southern California (Orange County) but he does occasional clinics in Northern Cal and elsewhere.

Chris and Forrest are based out of NorCal. Chris specializes in jump clinics and Forrest on trail riding.

If any of you are interested in doing an MTBR group clinic let me know. I'll put you in touch with the right people.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Jump Class on Sunday 9/24/06 is a GO!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead
    Hi Guru,

I would be very interested in that option however I may just pull the trigger and attend the class offered on 9/24/06. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Michael
    Hi Folks,

Two buddies and I signed up for this class so it will definitly happen. Go to BikeSkills website and email Chris if you are interested in signing up for it. They can accomodate up to 8 students and use a second instructor once they get over 4 students. My two buddies are in their thirties and I'm ancient so if you ever had a concern that you would be caught in a class with nothing but kids this is your chance to avoid that situation. So far I'm very impressed with the pre-class information, including several short videos, they provide. I hope to see some more Mtbr people out there!

Thanks,

Michael

Members who have read this thread: 0