Bike shop in the Mission

Printable View

• 05-25-2004
    piercebrew
    Bike shop in the Mission
    Anyone know the name of the bike shop in the mission where you can work on your own bike? I've heard that you can also take classes there?
    Thanks.
  • 05-25-2004
    Lungs_on_Fire
    Freewheel
    The store is Freewheel. They have two locations - the one in the Mission and one on Hayes Street. Only the Hayes Street location has the area where you can work on your own bike. They have about 4 stands, all the tools you could want and a sweet degreaser tank! You have to buy a membership - it about $20 per year. They do the class every so often. I took one a few years ago and it was pretty good.
  • 05-26-2004
    DH40
    Freewheel on Valencia doesn't let you work on your own bike last I checked. That all goes down at the Hayes shop. Although they moved down the street a bit last month so maybe that changed. Have you checked out Pedal Revolution (on 21st -I think- near Folsom), the Anarchy shop? Seems like if anyone would, they would, being all Anarchy and so forth.

Do you commute?
  • 05-26-2004
    piercebrew
    thanks for the info
    I don't commute anywhere yet, since I just finished school and don't have a job yet. Though, that should change shortly, and want to get a cyclocross bike to commute to work. Do you know if Free Wheel carries any CX bikes?
    I think I have an old friend who just started there...
  • 05-27-2004
    DH40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by piercebrew
    I don't commute anywhere yet, since I just finished school and don't have a job yet. Though, that should change shortly, and want to get a cyclocross bike to commute to work. Do you know if Free Wheel carries any CX bikes?
    I think I have an old friend who just started there...

Freewheel has probably the best selection of boo-tik (ala Surly, Sycip, etc) 1x1 and CX bikes in the Mission. They are into highend road, track, SS, and commuter/mtb bikes. I like the shop a lot although they don't really have anything I can use. They are great for emergency parts or repairs and barter for beer. I'm sure they can order anything you need.
  • 05-27-2004
    Jay_
    There's also the Bike Kitchen at 18th and Alabama. I've never been there so don't have any more info. Check tha site...

http://www.bikekitchen.org/
  • 05-27-2004
    DH40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay_
    There's also the Bike Kitchen at 18th and Alabama. I've never been there so don't have any more info. Check tha site...

http://www.bikekitchen.org/

There you go!