Bike paths near fairfield/vaccaville- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bike paths near fairfield/vaccaville

I have an appointment at kaiser in Vaccaville Wednesday morning and I'd like to ride after. Normally, I would ride Rockville or, in a pinch, lagoon valley. But, I don't like to ride dirt when it is this wet due to trail damage.

Are there any paved or gravel bike paths in this area like the American River Bike Trail? Not that very many bike paths are in that league, but I would like 15 or 20 miles of leg stretch. On my ROAD bike!!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    there is a path on the west side of 80 ,never been on it ,don't know where it goes. Plenty of little used roads around there.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about putting together a mostly bike path loop for you but honestly if youíre not a Vacaville local it will be very confusing with a lot of turns and road crossings.

I think your better bet is to ride Cantelow. Go west in Vacavalley Pkwy till the intersection with Browns Valley Pkwy. Turn right on Browns Valley then follow this road down a hill to a four way stop with the Cheyenne development. Turn right and follow this till it dead ends at Timm Road. Turn left, then follow this road all the way to the top of Cantelow. There will be one semi-tricky spot were Steigers joins into Cantelow at a stop sign. Stay right to stay on Cantelow. Itís a local classic road climb. At the top, turn around a get a ripping, like you can hit 50+ mph, descent and retrace your steps back. It should be almost exactly 9 miles to the top and will get you a 18 mile out and back.
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    You can hit Rockville and not be concerned about trail damage.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    You can hit Rockville and not be concerned about trail damage.
    This.

An added bonus, riding in the rain send most riders scurrying for shelter (like it did on Saturday, full lot overflowing onto the street when I arrived, only a handful of cars left after it had been pouring for 45 minutes)

Bike paths near fairfield/vaccaville-rville.jpg

mtbr member
    One thing I remember about Vacaville, the bike paths follow the creeks!

You could ride south on Leisure Town Rd. for about 2 miles and then turn right onto Elmira where Patwin park is. From there you can get on the Alamo Creek bike trail which can connect all the way to Lagoon Valley (with a few "Where'd the trail go? Oh there it is." street crossings). Out and back with a bit of exploring would probably get you 15 miles.

mtbr member
    A gravel bike tip:

Look up Mix Canyon Road. Itís just north of Vacaville off of Pleasant Valley Road. Mix Canyon is one of the steepest paved roads in California. About 4 miles long and 2000ft of elevation gain, most of it near the top. From the top of Mix Canyon, ride the ridge top road (Blue Ridge Rd) south to Gates Canyon Road for an exhilarating drop back down.

Mix and Gates are both fully paved. Blue Ridge Road is mostly gravel with some dirt.

I generally park at the intersection of Gates Canyon and Pleasant Valley Rds and ride over to Mix. The warm up on the road is a good idea.

The views from the top are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

jrm
    mtbr member
    theres the Fairfield linear trail that runs along I-80 as an up and back. Or explore using this given your circumstances: https://solanotrans.github.io/solanocountyrides/

Grizzly Island is pretty cool..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    A gravel bike tip:

Look up Mix Canyon Road. Itís just north of Vacaville off of Pleasant Valley Road. Mix Canyon is one of the steepest paved roads in California. About 4 miles long and 2000ft of elevation gain, most of it near the top. From the top of Mix Canyon, ride the ridge top road (Blue Ridge Rd) south to Gates Canyon Road for an exhilarating drop back down.

Mix and Gates are both fully paved. Blue Ridge Road is mostly gravel with some dirt.

I generally park at the intersection of Gates Canyon and Pleasant Valley Rds and ride over to Mix. The warm up on the road is a good idea.

gates has a handful of unpaved sections, of course on the steepest parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    gates has a handful of unpaved sections, of course on the steepest parts.
    Does it? The last time I did the route, there was new asphalt between the gates on the upper section. Admittedly itís been a couple years since I rode it.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Rockville should be fine today. Gonna check it tomorrow.
    edited.

mtbr member
    Does it? The last time I did the route, there was new asphalt between the gates on the upper section. Admittedly itís been a couple years since I rode it.
    been that way for decades.

I'm incoherent about the time I hit them on the climb anyways, so I get it. ha

mtbr member

Mixin' it up on Gates

Beat me to it, used to ride Gates and Mix regularly. Mix used to be dirt about 2/3rds the way up until say '92 or so? Gates has always been the funner of the pair in my opinion. Dropped off the back side once and down to 128, that had to be one of the craziest dh's I did and that was '89.

Cantelow is a good spin too.

A gravel bike tip:

Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....