Bike Mag Bible in Marin- Mtbr.com
    Autonomous

Bike Mag Bible in Marin

Looks like Bike Mag is in Marin this year for their Bible Of Bike Tests. Not sure exactly where and the few pics on their site donít give many clues (tho in honesty, I donít ride Marin much). Anyone encounter them yet?
    Also:
    I wonder if they were pre-warned about HOHA.

pvd
    mtbr member
    I call BS.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Well...we can tell they have the Izzo, SB115, and Revel Ranger. Any other guesses?

I'm gonna assume there's a Spur and Epic EVO.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    I'd wager the new Fezzari

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I m guessing this has to be a private trail like the one Mark Weir used to train on?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I want to know how these bikes perform when an HOHA member hurls themself down a cliff and then calls the sheriff on you.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Well...we can tell they have the Izzo, SB115, and Revel Ranger. Any other guesses?

I'm gonna assume there's a Spur and Epic EVO.

Anyone?
    That would be a tasty bunch of new bikes.

Autonomous
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    I m guessing this has to be a private trail like the one Mark Weir used to train on?
    Iíd say youíre likely right, tho previous Bible tests usually have an accompanying article about the great trail systems & thriving scene in the area, so that might not be possible. Itís Marin after all. Tamarancho maybe?

I'm really diggin it!
    Thriving scene ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Thriving scene ha!

If you consider sheer trail users, especially now. It's really thriving. Huge packs at Tamarancho every weekend.

Plus, didn't you hear? Marin got one bike legal single track opened up back in like February. I rode my gravel bike up it. It was fun. One couple mile long single track every 20 years. That sure sounds like thriving to me!

Those pictures aren't Tamarancho.

mtbr member
    Maybe the trails used for the bike test will have a surprise opening from MCOSD next month.

They can ride most of the back side of CC legally and many of those trails are perfect for these bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post

That would be the ranch...Those clowns from Bike Mag are not the Weir type and would be very surprised if invited..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinFactor View Post
    That would be the ranch...Those clowns from Bike Mag are not the Weir type and would be very surprised if invited..
    4 posts, and already hatin' on people you don't even know.

and name dropping Mark doesn't give you street cred. He is an e biker now, to put food on the table. mans gotta do what a mans gotta do I suppose.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    If you consider sheer trail users, especially now. It's really thriving. Huge packs at Tamarancho every weekend.

Plus, didn't you hear? Marin got one bike legal single track opened up back in like February. I rode my gravel bike up it. It was fun. One couple mile long single track every 20 years. That sure sounds like thriving to me!

Those pictures aren't Tamarancho.
    Washed out blurry photos, canít tell where they are.

Most people from Marin donít get out of their bubble. Even if they physically leave Marin.

So yeah. Mountain biking blowing up is happening everywhere. Super duper. Trailheads here in SEA are crowded AF. Weekends are horrific. A good friends bike shop has sales up 62%. All not in Marin...

It must suck to be stuck where less then 10% of the trail network is open to bikes. That must make the crowding even worse.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    4 posts, and already hatin' on people you don't even know.

and name dropping Mark doesn't give you street cred. He is an e biker now, to put food on the table. mans gotta do what a mans gotta do I suppose.
    I thought the ranch was for sale??

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Out of all the great places to go, why Marin?

mtbr member
    https://i2.wp.com/www.bikemag.com/wp...g?w=1200&ssl=1

Not a bad place to test the down country bikes. Just like anything else in Marin, if you know you know.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Man, so much Marin hate recently. It may not be Tahoe but its not so bad. There are some great riders on Mt Tam and some great trails if you know where to look.

These trails look like the San Geronimo Ridge area. My guess would be they are staging around the inkwells/Peters Dam area.

Look forward to seeing more pics.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    What if they were just doing out and backs on railroad grade, lol
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    Man, so much Marin hate recently.
    Yeah, across the board lately. And this isn't even an evil "E" type bike topic....😁

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yeah, across the board lately. And this isn't even an evil "E" type bike topic....
    yeah... Marin is terrible. don't ride there...

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Not really hating on Marin, but compared to the many great options I am surprised they chose California at all and Marin at that......

Guessing Bible Crew would stay away from the know if you know..

Maybe the draw of an after ride Franziskaner paired with Andouille sausage was just too much?

I'm really diggin it!
    I wouldnít call it hate.

Propping up Marin as a thriving scene doesnít do anyone any good.

All of the singletracks in Marin at one time were open, ridden and enjoyed by people on bicycles until 1985.

Depicting Marin for what it is now and the history of what went down to get there would be a way to start to fix things.

If no one talks about it, nothing will change.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    And honestly, Bike Mag team doesn't need a whole bunch of trails to test the bikes. They pick 2 loops - short travel loop and long travel loop- and ride those over and over. My guess is that they're probably using Tamarancho for the short travel loop and something else nearby for the long travel loop.

And finally... it's covid so since it's a california based magazine, it was probably easier for them to get together in Marin as opposed to trying to fly or drive somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I do think this misrepresents Marin and it should be presented as it really is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Not sure that Bike Mag's aim is to expose what's going on or not going on in Marin. They're there to test bikes so that they can put out an issue that helps them sell advertising and get sent free bikes to test and try during the year. I'm sure that there'll be an article touching on the current issues with trail access. But really, they'll focus mostly on the bikes, maybe say some good things about Fairfax and the local area, lament that there aren't more legal trails to ride but if you know where to find them, then you know where to find them.

I'm really diggin it!
    Or if you donít know where to find them, you just check the heatmap...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yep.... pretty much!

NedwannaB

Time frame?

Anyone know the duration of being in the area?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Based on what they've written in previous Bibles, they're usually around for a week or so. Probably weekend to weekend.

NedwannaB
    So, short story long, you're saying they already finished up last weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Actually, if my guess is correct, they're probably around through this weekend. Their first article about them being in Marin appeared on July 28 and they said they were just starting their week of tests.

Of course, this all speculation... but seems about right.

mtbr member
    Hmm. Is this the main Bible of Bike tests or just one of their limited Summer Camp Series tests they do sometimes for a specific genre like they did at Mammoth in 2018 for the Long Travel 29ers? I heard rumors about another location for this year's BOBT.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Very good point. It could be their "summer camp" bible of bike tests. Their full bible typically takes place in the fall.

mtbr member
    They are not going to test the suspension in Marin. It will mainly be a climbing and tire test. Lol. There are hundreds of better places. Not sure why Marin.
    Last edited by aliikane; 08-08-2020 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    I believe it's short travel only and 'I believe' it's on private property in Nicasio.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi, new to this forum, I live in Santa Rosa and ride Annadel exclusively (5 minutes from home, have small kids so donít stray far to ride, etc). Anyway, is there somewhere I can read a quick explainer as to whatís up with trail access in Marin? I have wondered before why I didnít hear more about riding down there. The topography is amazing, such a history in the sport, what is the deal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Old horse ladies have money and hate mountain bikers. They used their money and connections to ban mountain biking pretty much anywhere in Marin (except a few single trails, fireroads, Tamarancho and China Camp).

Can you imagine the horror of going out for a trail ride on your horse and being startled when a mountain biker comes to fast at you from around a corner. Completely ruins your entire year.

The outside is for horses not speeding punks on machines!

For whatever reasons (lack of organization, ingrained hate against those who recreate different), the mtbers were never able to be seen as a legitimate user group.

There are a few advocacy groups that are making progress, but progress is measured in decades here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chafingdish View Post
    Hi, new to this forum, I live in Santa Rosa and ride Annadel exclusively (5 minutes from home, have small kids so donít stray far to ride, etc). Anyway, is there somewhere I can read a quick explainer as to whatís up with trail access in Marin? I have wondered before why I didnít hear more about riding down there. The topography is amazing, such a history in the sport, what is the deal?
    this is a good primer: https://access4bikes.com/s/A4B_Fact_...ge_low_rez.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Horse people. The worst.

At Annadel they yell at you to slow down if you excced 5mph. Must be empowering sitting up there. I usually respond with a smile and ask if that was their big pile of shit I just rode through.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    can someone tell me what trail this is? Does it start with an "S"? Don't think it is a Tamo trail, unless its an angle that is throwing me off.

Bike Mag Bible in Marin-as_8908.jpg

mtbr member
    Probably the newly legal Paranickle aka Hunts Camp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I haven't been on Paranickle - but that looks a lot like Hunt's camp. Of course I only saw it from the riders perspective.

mtbr member
    I haven't been on Paranickle - but that looks a lot like Hunt's camp. Of course I only saw it from the riders perspective.
    Same trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    somehow I was reading aka as and. Thanks...

There is a bermed trail with a jump in the pictures that I have no idea where it is. Looks pretty good (for those two turns)

mtbr member
    Private land.

mtbr member
    I believe that they picked marin to test because one of their guys built a big flow trail type thing on his own land out in woodacre or something. From the clips shown in the first video they posted, its pretty clearly hunt camp but also some trail out above stinson, maybe willow camp.

Marin isnt the worst place to test a bike. the climbs can be punishing, and there are short fun trails full of rocks and tight trees. its not squamish, its not crested butte, but despite old people ruining everything, there are still fun rides in marin. and in the past, they arent picking locations like whistler or downieville, etc, theyre picking places with short loops they can lap a bunch to really get the characteristics of a bike.

mtbr member
    "...it was just so stable through the rock garden..." cut to clip of a rider 2 feet off trail avoiding all the rocks

this is a major problem in mountain biking, this is how single track becomes double track.

mtbr member
    somehow I was reading aka as and. Thanks...

There is a bermed trail with a jump in the pictures that I have no idea where it is. Looks pretty good (for those two turns)
    You were correct, I edited it to clarify.

The trail over looking the ocean is definitely Coastal Trail/Matt Davis (they bleed into each other) and a poach.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    You were correct, I edited it to clarify.

The trail over looking the ocean is definitely Coastal Trail/Matt Davis (they bleed into each other) and a poach.
    Probably not. The trail that accesses Willow Camp from the road is legal and likely the one they shot.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    "...it was just so stable through the rock garden..." cut to clip of a rider 2 feet off trail avoiding all the rocks

this is a major problem in mountain biking, this is how single track becomes double track.
    The real problem in Marin, or the bay area for that matter, is the lack of trail.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

NedwannaB

Whuuutt...

Never had any issues with equestrians up there.

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    The real problem in Marin, or the bay area for that matter, is the lack of trail.
    Or too many people.

"Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"óparaphrased from rhino_adv

Friendly Neighborhood MTBer
    If you can't play, display.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by kabayan View Post
    Ferrentino now will have plenty of time to go hike in Wilderness...
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    You might be right. Although one of the pictures in the Izzo shots is side hill which would not be the connector to Willow from the road.

I'm guessing its just a little offshoot trail to nowhere they found and used for the shot.

Sorry for resurrecting. Trying to name trails on Tam is my favorite game. I can't help myself.

And bummer on Bike's demise! Tough week for sports print journalism.