mtbr member

Bike Computers\GPS Trackers

Has anyone used the app simply called Bike Computer? Or what tracking app do you prefer? I use trailforks to track my rides. Don't really get involved in the whole Strava scene. Bike Computer is subscription based so I'm curious how good it is. I ride alone all the time, I'm a freelancer living in Marin so I weekday ride when I'm not working.

My wife insists that I drop a pin when I start so she can call out the dogs if I no show later. Bike Computer has a feature called 'keep me safe' that sends out an alert if your bike stops moving for a specified amount of time. This is appealing to me. Anyone use this or other functions on the app?

I know trailforks has an emergency function where you can call 911 or send a location, but automation is appealing in case you get crushed. 1st 2 screenshots are trailforks, 3rd is Bike Computer.

Otherwise what else do ya'll like for tracking\safety?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Good question. I've been curious myself. I'm mostly alone, deep in the woods on weekdays.
    IPA will save America

just another bleepin SSer
    If tracking/safety is your primary goal, why not get a Spot or Delorme InReach?

Gets around some issues with phone based systems, such as lack of access when out of cell coverage. True that Spot/InReach may lose satellite contact in canyons, but the person can follow your dropped pins and see where you were prior to losing signal.

And Spot/InReach has a 911 button you can press, if you are still conscious and need help.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

Moderator Moderator
    I use a Garmin Fenix 5x as ride computer and Garmin InReach Explorer as a safety net. The InReach has tracking and satellite text messaging.

mtbr member
    You're South Bay yeah? Always looking for a weekday ride buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Good question. I've been curious myself. I'm mostly alone, deep in the woods on weekdays.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I got the InReach because cellular service is so poor in the mountains. The device also appears to be a lot more rugged than most cellphones. You can send and receive routine messages with it as well as distress calls (you have 2-way communication with rescuers). You can also turn on automatic tracking, which sends your location to a password-protected website every 10 minutes (2 minutes with a premium subscription). I have sent and received normal texts from inside my home, which you can't see on Google Earth because the redwood forest is so thick. It takes a bit longer under such conditions, but I'd trust that in a canyon over a cell phone.

I have the Explorer +. Tempted by the new mini.

fc
    Findmyiphone is very useful. Good for your spouses to have your account.

Its big weakness it has no information if there's no current signal from your phone. I wonder if there's an app to determine last known signal.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Findmyiphone is very useful. Good for your spouses to have your account.

Its big weakness it has no information if there's no current signal from your phone. I wonder if there's an app to determine last known signal.
    I used to use an app called Lookout that had a function called Signal Flare that told you the last location before it was turned off. Seems like the Apple app would/should have that....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Every phone based tracking system requires a cell or wifi signal to work. If you always have cell service on your rides you're good. If you don't, then you need to look into a satellite based system. I have both a Gen 3 SPOT and an Inreach. They are both very reliable if the shit hits the fan. The Inreach has the added benefit of communicating with your wife and rescuers if needed and knowing that help is on the way. If you need someone to be able to track where you are on every ride the SPOT is an easier/cheaper alternative. I only activate my Inreach if I am on a long bikepacking trip, 5 days or more. I find the check-in feature of the SPOT to be pretty reliable and I live/ride in a pretty remote area of very deep canyons. They both have about the same success rate in my use.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    Every phone based tracking system requires a cell or wifi signal to work. If you always have cell service on your rides you're good. If you don't, then you need to look into a satellite based system. I have both a Gen 3 SPOT and an Inreach. They are both very reliable if the shit hits the fan. The Inreach has the added benefit of communicating with your wife and rescuers if needed and knowing that help is on the way. If you need someone to be able to track where you are on every ride the SPOT is an easier/cheaper alternative. I only activate my Inreach if I am on a long bikepacking trip, 5 days or more. I find the check-in feature of the SPOT to be pretty reliable and I live/ride in a pretty remote area of very deep canyons. They both have about the same success rate in my use.
    Best advice available, On the Nor Cal Board, lord knows no one else has more experience with this stuff.
    My Favorite Peeps:

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Best advice available, On the Nor Cal Board, lord knows no one else has more experience with this stuff.
    Right, 'cause it isn't like there's not a whole board on mtbr dedicated to this sort of discussion. Norcal is definitely the best place to find information about gps, bike computers, and whatnot.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Right, 'cause it isn't like there's not a whole board on mtbr dedicated to this sort of discussion. Norcal is definitely the best place to find information about gps, bike computers, and whatnot.

Yeah. Itís not like there are people who use GPS professionally or anything like that outside of the NorCal forum.

Iím trying to understand how a topic like this could possibly be regional in nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Yeah. Itís not like there are people who use GPS professionally or anything like that outside of the NorCal forum.

Iím trying to understand how a topic like this could possibly be regional in nature.

I guess it should be obvious that gps only works in norcal. The rest of us in flyover country are living in the stone age, clearly.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Itís because, as someone recently said on another thread, many visitors to this forum donít go anywhere else. Besides, the satellites and radio waves work different here dude.

On topic, the new Garmin Edge 520 plus has an emergency feature if the unit detects a too-hard stop. It doesnít work with MTB as normal impacts would set it off, so I had to deactivate it.

Moderator Moderator
    There are certain areas of Skeggs where I get zero satellite reception on my InReach even with a clear shot of the sky. Any notable areas in NorCal where satellite reception wanes?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I guess it should be obvious that gps only works in norcal. The rest of us in flyover country are living in the stone age, clearly.

I don't claim to know more about any of this stuff than anyone else. But I find it interesting that two know it all's with over nearly 34,000 posts between them find it necessary to come to a regional forum that has nothing to do with either of them to bitch that the internet didn't come to them first for their opinion. Sad, just sad......

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    I don't claim to know more about any of this stuff than anyone else. But I find it interesting that two know it all's with over nearly 34,000 posts between them find it necessary to come to a regional forum that has nothing to do with either of them to bitch that the internet didn't come to them first for their opinion. Sad, just sad......
    I saw the thread when browsing "most recent posts" which IS a function of this website, as well as tapatalk.

And though I'm not from Norcal and don't care about Norcal, GPS tech IS a topic of interest to me. In fact, I answer a LOT of people's questions regarding GPS issues in the GPS FORUM.

Based on the thread title being a topic of interest, I clicked on it. Tapatalk doesn't make the forum the thread is in very prominent, so I didn't notice its location until after I opened it, saw it was in Norcal, and saw that fc had even posted in it. If you people in the Norcal board have been anywhere else on this forum, you'd be well aware of how much of a sore spot this issue is with a number of users. But you don't, so you clearly don't have a clue.

After reading the original post, I saw that it doesn't have much content related to my specific background. That said, there are a number of others who browse the GPS FORUM who do have more experience with various live tracking options. And of course, most of them are probably not going to see a thread in the Norcal forum at all. So of course, other people who are much more knowledgeable about the OP's question aren't ever going to respond.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Iíve always liked Cyclemeter. I have it set up to email my wife my progress every 15 minutes during a ride so she has some idea of where to start the search if I donít come home. Sheíll only get a few updates when Iím at Demo. But I only ride there on the weekends when someone else would probably come across me if I was in bad shape. This isnít the solution for everyone but it works for my needs.

As a bike computer it works well too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I saw the thread when browsing "most recent posts" which IS a function of this website, as well as tapatalk.

And though I'm not from Norcal and don't care about Norcal, GPS tech IS a topic of interest to me. In fact, I answer a LOT of people's questions regarding GPS issues in the GPS FORUM.

Based on the thread title being a topic of interest, I clicked on it. Tapatalk doesn't make the forum the thread is in very prominent, so I didn't notice its location until after I opened it, saw it was in Norcal, and saw that fc had even posted in it. If you people in the Norcal board have been anywhere else on this forum, you'd be well aware of how much of a sore spot this issue is with a number of users. But you don't, so you clearly don't have a clue.

After reading the original post, I saw that it doesn't have much content related to my specific background. That said, there are a number of others who browse the GPS FORUM who do have more experience with various live tracking options. And of course, most of them are probably not going to see a thread in the Norcal forum at all. So of course, other people who are much more knowledgeable about the OP's question aren't ever going to respond.
    You missed the point of my reply. That point was that most of us have more to do than spend our days looking for ways to be a blow hard on MTBR by searching for things to comment on. Your 23,000 posts will attest to the fact that you don't see it that way. I've looked at the GPS forum enough to know what your deal is and to stay far away. So, I guess I do have a clue. Really, if you had just come in and offered an opinion I'd have no problem, but that's not what either you or Le Puke did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It looks like we have another love connection forming boys! Whip out your dicks!

jms
    mtbr member

https://youtu.be/6EEW-9NDM5k
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member

Why worry? Is there some personal experience you've had, or a question that will contribute to the discussion of this topic?
    My Favorite Peeps:

Formerly of Kent
    Why worry? Is there some personal experience you've had, or a question that will contribute to the discussion of this topic?
    Iíve had quite a bit of experience with GPS, PLBs, mapping, map reading, land navigation, emergency extraction, space and land based communication assets, etc.

None of which are Colorado-centric. There is nothing unique about Coloradoís atmospheric or geographic conditions that would require me to ask a question about these technologies in the Front Range forum. Not even the fact that GPS is controlled from the Front Range, or that many comm birds and assets are controlled from here. Or that most commercial imagery used by people is produced by companies here, with birds made here. Those things have no bearing on what tech works where, how, when and why.

Death from Below.

jms
    mtbr member
    Iíve had quite a bit of experience with GPS, PLBs, mapping, map reading, land navigation, emergency extraction, space and land based communication assets, etc.

Okay, that's cool. Can you tell us/me what you like and why? I hate being an unguided missile out in the middle of nowhere.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Formerly of Kent

Bike Computers\GPS Trackers

Okay, that's cool. Can you tell us/me what you like and why? I hate being an unguided missile out in the middle of nowhere.
    I have an InReach SE+.

A couple of reasons.

1) Two way comms via Iridium + BT. If Iím out in the sticks and change plans, I can inform my wife.
    2) Weather. I go camping in places that do not treat the unprepared kindly. NOAA updates via Iridium.
    3) Itís more robust than a phone.

Death from Below.

Moderator Moderator
    Thread copied to GPS forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The big S just introduced ANGi: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    The big S just introduced ANGi: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi
    Surprisingly it actually doesn't cost much more than owning a "normal" helmet.
    Pretty cool if it actually works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yup. So many questions - still requires cell coverage though, curious how accurate its "detections" will be, etc...

Edit:

Looks like S has added something to address coverage:

Just set your estimated ride time before you head out. All you need is an active data signal when you start your session. If you havenít completed your ride within that time frame, ANGi will send a notification to your contacts with your last uploaded location. This will happen regardless of whether you have cell phone service or not. Refer to the app and user manual for full functionality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Some regions have better cellular service on trails than others.
    On the main forums, many seem to take it for granted that their phone will work anywhere on the trail. Certainly not true in California. I bet Colorado has some unserved areas as well.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Surprisingly it actually doesn't cost much more than owning a "normal" helmet.
    Pretty cool if it actually works.
    The cheapest helmet they have listed with Angi is $130, and then from what I can tell you still need the unit which is $50. Are "normal" helmets $200?

I'll admit it's cool though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    The cheapest helmet they have listed with Angi is $130, and then from what I can tell you still need the unit which is $50. Are "normal" helmets $200?

Yes. There are many name brand companies that have half shell mountain bike helmets over $200.

Full face helmets can be up to $1k. (At least in the moto world).

And if this works as advertised then I see it as affordable compared to everything else in the bike/tech industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post

The Angi helmets come with the sensor already installed

The sensor can be purchased separately to add to any of their other 2019 helmets, which are all "Angi ready". I'm sure you could find ways to mount it properly to other helmets too

fc
    So the real benefit of Angi and remote caller type devices is:

You've crashed and are unconscious and cannot make a phonecall. Or you're aware but are disfigured and cannot reach your phone?

Am I getting that right? Has this ever happened to anybody here or anyone you know?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    My Edge Explore 1000 has fall detection and emergency contact as well as allowing chosen contacts to track you live. It is a complex and unreliable feature. Everywhere I ride has good cell coverage, so I have instead switched to an Apple Watch 4, which has fall detection, emergency notification, and allows whomever you choose to locate you, as well as monitoring heart rate (even EKG), GPS mapping, Cyclemeter, Strava, Trailforks. On the phone...the Find Friends app also allows location and works well. The well as That watch plus my iPhone, which I ride with too, means I can throw that POS Garmin away.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Some regions have better cellular service on trails than others.
    On the main forums, many seem to take it for granted that their phone will work anywhere on the trail. Certainly not true in California. I bet Colorado has some unserved areas as well.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    Vast areas.

Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent
    When I was out in the Sierra Nevada this summer, I had coverage for about 10-20% of my daily mileage. Coverage up in Tahoe is pretty good. Non-existent in much of the range.

If you want truly remote, try SE Utah.

Death from Below.

Moderator Moderator
    So the real benefit of Angi and remote caller type devices is:

You've crashed and are unconscious and cannot make a phonecall. Or you're aware but are disfigured and cannot reach your phone?

Am I getting that right? Has this ever happened to anybody here or anyone you know?
    I can't remember if this has happened to me or not!

I need a sensor in my helmet that gives me a shock when I'm climbing too slowly.