Big Trees reroute Joaquin Miller Park - Sat & Sun Sept 11-12- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    460

    Big Trees reroute Joaquin Miller Park - Sat & Sun Sept 11-12

    We were out yesterday laying out the re-route for Big Trees Trail in Joaquin Miller Park.



    The current trail is over-grade, causing it to significantly widen and erode. (Some sections are now up to 12' wide.) The reroute will create a new narrow, longer contour trail, with lower grades. BTCEB, a critical partner in the project, hired Jim Jacobson from Bicycle Trails Council of Marin (and the trail designer for Tamarancho) to design the new trail.

    A meaningful benefit to cyclists will be that Big Trees will no longer be subject to seasonal closures, (which was instituted during the rainy season since 2000), and keep a major loop opportunity in the park open year round!

    As part of the trail work weekend, volunteers will be able to camp Friday and Saturday nights in the park. Food is also provided for volunteers from breakfast Saturday through lunch Sunday.

    SIGN UP FOR THE WORK DAY

    You will see several time options on the registration page so make you sign up for the correct times. For more info contact [email protected]


    (Map of re-route)

  2. #2
    Feeling a little taller
    Reputation: Dan'ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,701
    I might be there on Sunday if I'm needed but I'll be at Black Diamond Mines for the Gala Ride on Saturday.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.


    Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

  3. #3
    jrm
    jrm is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,276

    Is the Gala Ride

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    I might be there on Sunday if I'm needed but I'll be at Black Diamond Mines for the Gala Ride on Saturday.
    this weekend or next weekend? Only ridden mines once and would like to do it again..

  4. #4
    Feeling a little taller
    Reputation: Dan'ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,701
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    this weekend or next weekend? Only ridden mines once and would like to do it again..
    Gala Ride is always the 2nd Saturday: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=648303

    Would be great to see you!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.


    Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    460
    Bump this puppy.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    460
    Here's the fact sheet on the Big Trees Trail reroute including a little background, schedule, meals, camping, parking pass, etc.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    59
    I was going to come out on Sunday, but not sure that I can make the 8 am start, if I show up at 10 can I just meet the crews at the work site?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    460
    There will be people in the center camp all day so shouldn't be a problem checking in late. But check in up top (by the horse arena) before heading to Big Trees, so they have your waiver and all. But it's less then a 5 minute walk down the hill to the work site. Print out the waiver and parking pass from the PDF in my earlier post.

  9. #9
    horn doggie
    Reputation: scooderdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    847
    Not at all clear where this reroute will occur - upper, lower, midway. Some work was done of the upper a couple years ago.

    Can you post of a map showing where this reroute will be? The one that is posted I can't make sense of, as it has no perspective relating the rest of the park

    EDIT: Never mind. Saw the link under the small map.

    How will this link to the "unofficial" single track alternate route just south of the upper grove?
    Wanted:

    Potts, Potts, Potts

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    59
    Hey,
    I did some work on this on Sunday, then rode it a few times to, um, pack the tread down. It's a nice fun change, I think, much better than the old drop and climb.

  11. #11
    Feeling a little taller
    Reputation: Dan'ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,701
    Pics! Or else it didn't happen!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.


    Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

  12. #12
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    I know, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Pics! Or else it didn't happen!
    I would think somebody brought a camera, and posted something by now. I can't wait to check it out.

  13. #13
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Pics! Or else it didn't happen!
    I rode it while they were working on it.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    141
    sweet section of trail and it even connects with the other section of "big trees singletrack" that bypasses the picnic tables. great job! i like how the old trail has disappeared also.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: oakhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    913
    I am going to check it out right now.....
    maybe bring a camera, maybe.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    460
    I took a bunch of pictures and then proceeded to lose my camera. So I drew a picture, which will have to do until someone sends us some pics.


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by ssdoc
    sweet section of trail and it even connects with the other section of "big trees singletrack" that bypasses the picnic tables. great job! i like how the old trail has disappeared also.
    That section of "trail" (which I've always called Duke Ruffin) is still not legal. But we tied it in (looping it back into the new reroute) so that if you're map challenged you don't pop out onto the old section of Big Trees and then tromp through the woods.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    822
    excellent work all, thanks.

    oparks - in my opinion, the next big challenge at JMP would be to re-route $2 Hill so that it too contours nicely and is no longer eroding into the creek. Is there currently an activity, any planning around this? If so, what's the status and what could be done to help?

  19. #19
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,718
    Here's a I made today on my lunch ride, showing the re-routed section.

    from Morgan Fletcher on Vimeo.



    Morgan

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psmithm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    112

    Thanks, Morgan!

    Thanks, Morgan, I'm down in Paso Robles at my in-laws so I missed the trail work. Can't wait to ride it.

    Nice video.... how did you play the bongos while riding? Most impressive.

  21. #21
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by psmithm
    Thanks, Morgan, I'm down in Paso Robles at my in-laws so I missed the trail work. Can't wait to ride it.

    Nice video.... how did you play the bongos while riding? Most impressive.
    :-) I think that's the little leash on my camera, swinging and tapping the helmet.

    Morgan

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    460

    $2 Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by grundy
    excellent work all, thanks.

    oparks - in my opinion, the next big challenge at JMP would be to re-route $2 Hill so that it too contours nicely and is no longer eroding into the creek. Is there currently an activity, any planning around this? If so, what's the status and what could be done to help?
    This is kind of a sticky wicket. A big hurdle is $2 Hill is in the creek bed (the beginning of Palo Seco Creek - the main tributary to Sausal Creek) and there is a possibility that we would need a creek permit to do any work on this section of trail. This is one of the top areas on Friends of Sausal Creek radar. FOSC came out with a Sausal Creek Watershed Enhancement Plan (3 years in the making) this summer. If the Friends get involved, which they very well might, $2 hill could be completed screwed (as they don't care that this is a very popular bike feature in the park).

    I would be interested in what other riders think about fixing $2 Hill. I've heard the same recommendation from another rider this summer, but also heard some riders suggest it would be sacra sank to sanitize the hill.

    This leads into a wider topic within JMP. FOSC is making a big push in the park to implement their watershed plan (which isn't necessarily going to be bike friendly - one suggestion is to close down Cinderella completely). The plan can be viewed online at http://www.sausalcreek.org/watershedplan.html

    I saw an email last week from the ED of FOSC about the Fern Ravine/Sequoia Arena area.

    "Rob recently emailed several of us about the alarming condition of the Fern Ravine/Sequoia Arena redwood forest understory. He noted 6-10 new bike trails traversing the slopes throughout the site, a couple of new bike jumps, and a large new stick structure. The logs and branches that had been placed to deter off-trail use had been moved, many to line new bike trails. The soil surface around Fern Ravine Creek in the grove was pulverized and compacted. He estimated that 90% of last year's new plantings in the grove have been destroyed. Rob's overall take was that over the summer the conditions of the vegetation understory and the slopes in the redwood grove have deteriorated significantly such that things are much worse than when he brought his concerns to us just over a year ago..."

    It's true there are a number of idiots who are riding around off trail, building jumps and tearing the crap out of this area. If cyclists don't wise up, and keep using the park like a empty lot behind K-Mart, we're all going to get hammered.

    Cyclists in general aren't paying very close attention to what's happening in the park. (For instance this thread got one post leading up to the work day - while a thread on how pushing a bike up Cinderella ruins the "buzz" of DHers, got dozens of post.) In a couple months there will be a new City Council member in this District - someone who isn't going to have very deep knowledge about bike access in the park. And I'm going to bet FOSC and bike haters are going to get a big jump start on pushing their agenda. Not to be Chicken Little, but cyclists need to be better informed on whats going on in JMP.

  23. #23
    default title
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    510
    Before, during and after pics should show up here eventually:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/volunteers.outdoor.ca

    I'm glad you seem to like it, Morgan. Around :30 in at "soft spot": yeah, I know. I tried. There's only so much a tamper can do without some water. There's a few other lines that we made in that spot heading counterclockwise like you did in the vid. You'll probably see them next time.

    Thanks to the two "locos" who tried to show me on a map where a few things were. I didn't get lost and didn't try Cinderella.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

  24. #24
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap
    Before, during and after pics should show up here eventually:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/volunteers.outdoor.ca

    I'm glad you seem to like it, Morgan. Around :30 in at "soft spot": yeah, I know. I tried. There's only so much a tamper can do without some water. There's a few other lines that we made in that spot heading counterclockwise like you did in the vid. You'll probably see them next time.

    Thanks to the two "locos" who tried to show me on a map where a few things were. I didn't get lost and didn't try Cinderella.
    I appreciate your work, and the work from all the other volunteers! The trail will mature nicely with more traffic and some moisture. It's going to age well, I think. I never noticed that downhill drain before. Was it under dirt before?

    I met an older runner on the trail, and he was really confused. Between the new re-route and the slightly different fork for the non-trail, he didn't know where he was going. We confirmed his preferred and actual destination three times, and he and I were on our way.

    Morgan

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap
    Around :30 in at "soft spot": yeah, I know. I tried. There's only so much a tamper can do without some water.
    It's a half cut and won't hold up. Which isn't bad - we'll get a nice narrow trail in the end.

  26. #26
    Fat Guy Riding
    Reputation: jschwart73's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by oparks
    This is kind of a sticky wicket. A big hurdle is $2 Hill is in the creek bed (the beginning of Palo Seco Creek - the main tributary to Sausal Creek) and there is a possibility that we would need a creek permit to do any work on this section of trail. This is one of the top areas on Friends of Sausal Creek radar. FOSC came out with a Sausal Creek Watershed Enhancement Plan (3 years in the making) this summer. If the Friends get involved, which they very well might, $2 hill could be completed screwed (as they don't care that this is a very popular bike feature in the park).

    I would be interested in what other riders think about fixing $2 Hill. I've heard the same recommendation from another rider this summer, but also heard some riders suggest it would be sacra sank to sanitize the hill.

    This leads into a wider topic within JMP. FOSC is making a big push in the park to implement their watershed plan (which isn't necessarily going to be bike friendly - one suggestion is to close down Cinderella completely). The plan can be viewed online at http://www.sausalcreek.org/watershedplan.html

    I saw an email last week from the ED of FOSC about the Fern Ravine/Sequoia Arena area.

    "Rob recently emailed several of us about the alarming condition of the Fern Ravine/Sequoia Arena redwood forest understory. He noted 6-10 new bike trails traversing the slopes throughout the site, a couple of new bike jumps, and a large new stick structure. The logs and branches that had been placed to deter off-trail use had been moved, many to line new bike trails. The soil surface around Fern Ravine Creek in the grove was pulverized and compacted. He estimated that 90% of last year's new plantings in the grove have been destroyed. Rob's overall take was that over the summer the conditions of the vegetation understory and the slopes in the redwood grove have deteriorated significantly such that things are much worse than when he brought his concerns to us just over a year ago..."

    It's true there are a number of idiots who are riding around off trail, building jumps and tearing the crap out of this area. If cyclists don't wise up, and keep using the park like a empty lot behind K-Mart, we're all going to get hammered.

    Cyclists in general aren't paying very close attention to what's happening in the park. (For instance this thread got one post leading up to the work day - while a thread on how pushing a bike up Cinderella ruins the "buzz" of DHers, got dozens of post.) In a couple months there will be a new City Council member in this District - someone who isn't going to have very deep knowledge about bike access in the park. And I'm going to bet FOSC and bike haters are going to get a big jump start on pushing their agenda. Not to be Chicken Little, but cyclists need to be better informed on whats going on in JMP.
    I will give FOSC some credit - While slanted in the direction of changing the parts of JMP that many people love, it would look like there is a point to all of the items discussed in the report/plan. I've only been riding in JMP for a couple of years, but everything they call out is pretty much dead on. I've been discussing with friends for a while how bad Cinderella is and the need to get water off the trail and into the creek. The same can be said for $2 Hill - It's HAMMERED by erosion now and in my unprofessional opinion, no level of "repair" to the existing trail is going to be of much help.

    On an unrelated to erosion note - Thanks again to all for the Big Trees reroute. It looks very good from the pics. Haven't had a chance to get out for a few weeks, hope to check it out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    660

    Finally checked it out

    What a great trail you've made. Congratulations. I met a dozen bicyclists on it Sunday morning, all of them loving it. BTCEB rocks! VolCal Rocks. JMP Rocks.

    If you haven't been, go check it out!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.