Big shout out to Dan at Summit Bikes in San Rafael- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

Big shout out to Dan at Summit Bikes in San Rafael

I've been meaning to do this for months but you know how these things go sometimes . . . I was with the family visiting my wife's cousins in Fairfax and I made a few calls to some LBS's to see who rents bikes because I could see Mt Tam and after mt biking for ten years on the East Coast, Mt Tam has a near mythic quality at this point . . . Dan Tess at Summit Bikes tells me they have a group ride going out at nine but I knew I'd never make it so I just got to the shop around ten and rented a Fisher . . . I got there and Dan said, hey, no one showed up for the group ride, maybe since it's Valentine's Day (yeah I got a cool wife who encourages me to ride when we travel) but I could still take you out and show you around . . .we rode Tamarancho and had a great time, even when I nearly bonked, the riding was way different than New England and just a ton of fun and I had a great time with Dan and afterwards we had a fish burrito and a fresh beer at a great brewery in Fairfax whose name escapes me . . . just a perfect example of the how great the mountain biking community is and how one guy at a shop can really make a difference . . . this was my first experience riding in a different area (i've since had a great experience with a few shops and paid guided tours in Vegas) and it was great . . . a bike shop manager throwing on his kit and taking a visitor from the east around all the great trails? I love this game! anyone ever coming out to western massachusetts, be sure to drop me a line and i'll show you all the great stuff. . . sharing local knowledge and growing the brother- and sisterhood of mountain biking is what it's all about . . . peace.

ballbuster

Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by lenox_mtbr
    I've been meaning to do this for months but you know how these things go sometimes . . . I was with the family visiting my wife's cousins in Fairfax and I made a few calls to some LBS's to see who rents bikes because I could see Mt Tam and after mt biking for ten years on the East Coast, Mt Tam has a near mythic quality at this point . . . Dan Tess at Summit Bikes tells me they have a group ride going out at nine but I knew I'd never make it so I just got to the shop around ten and rented a Fisher . . . I got there and Dan said, hey, no one showed up for the group ride, maybe since it's Valentine's Day (yeah I got a cool wife who encourages me to ride when we travel) but I could still take you out and show you around . . .we rode Tamarancho and had a great time, even when I nearly bonked, the riding was way different than New England and just a ton of fun and I had a great time with Dan and afterwards we had a fish burrito and a fresh beer at a great brewery in Fairfax whose name escapes me . . . just a perfect example of the how great the mountain biking community is and how one guy at a shop can really make a difference . . . this was my first experience riding in a different area (i've since had a great experience with a few shops and paid guided tours in Vegas) and it was great . . . a bike shop manager throwing on his kit and taking a visitor from the east around all the great trails? I love this game! anyone ever coming out to western massachusetts, be sure to drop me a line and i'll show you all the great stuff. . . sharing local knowledge and growing the brother- and sisterhood of mountain biking is what it's all about . . . peace.
    My sis-inlaw is getting married in Mendon in October, so I'll be out there. I may take you up on that offer, but I prolly won't have my bike with me. Are there any shops where I can rent one?

Last year, I helped my bro and sis inlaws buy thier Trek comfort bikes at some nearby town to Mendon at this little shop where where you have to scale like 30 steps on the second floor of a little strip mall. There was a second parking lot in back at the same level.

Afterwards, we went for a ride down a former railroad right-of-way turned bike/jog/skate path.

Sep 2003
    Not to be a downer, but I stopped in the shop recently and was told Dan recently passed away due to a brain aneurysm.

Jul 2004

Wow, this totally sucks.

I felt like I was sucker punched this morning reading lighty's response to my saying thanks to Dan at Summit bikes. I just got off the phone with his manager out there and he told me that Dan was teaching a spinning class on his day off from the shop and wasn't feeling well and then collapsed and held on for a few day before passing away. He had just turned 26 years old. I met this guy once and just for having had a ride and a brew together he affected my life a little. We laughed, we rode, he shared his water when mine ran out. Riding back from Tamarancho we passed my wife and daughter on the street and he said my kid was cute; not everyone is kind or smart enough to know that it's always right to compliment other people's kids. What can you say? If anyone has contact info for his family, I'd like to send a card. Live life every day. Don't take anything for granted. Kiss your kids and your spouse and your parents and tell them you love them. Dan was in amazing shape, he was a personal trainer and I think he was racing expert class. The week we rode he told me he had already done three hundred miles. Life sucks sometimes. Wherever you are, Dan, I hope there's sweet singletrack, tight switchbacks, long descents, great views, and good beer after the ride. Peace.