Thread: Big chief trail

Paper or plastic?

Big chief trail

Is going to be awesome. It has everything, shale, rocks, flow, berms, jumps. Can't wait to see it done.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Formerly dvo
    I'm the problem....

Paper or plastic?
    Doesn't suck

mtbr member
    Yeah, and they're finishing it this weekend! There are some great rock rolls at the top and a looong log ride now, too. I like where this is going.

mtbr member
    My buddy was just telling me how sick this trail is. Is there going to be a way to loop this ride, or shuttle downhill only?

Paper or plastic?
    Ride up the 06. I rode up big chief and it was slow. When people show up, it will be better DH only.

mtbr member
    Big chief brings back good memories. Back when I used to ski around Tahoe instead of Lassen and Shasta, I often skied up the road at big chiefs. It was a good access to Silver Peak and was a good cross country workout with a little steepness at the end.

One time, I came up a hill and saw a couple standing in the trail a hundred yards ahead. She was kneeling on her skis in front of him! I waited until they were done and skied past. Both looked a little flushed!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    I'm thinking up the 06 to the top of Mt Watson, then descend the east side, wrap around to OTB, then down Big Chief will make for an awesome day of riding.

mtbr member
    All Hail The Chief ! Good stuff. Many
    Thanks to the Builders for this one.
    Itís got some rocky sections that rival Mills Peak trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Damn that looks so good!

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Damn that looks so good!
    Wait til you see the rest of it.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    This trail is excellent and gets better as you get higher up. I rode up until the trail vanished (a bit more than 2 miles, just past some great rock rolls and construction equipment) and back down a few weeks ago. Itís a blue square but great fun with lots of berms, whoops and rocks. I ran into a large group of kids (10-12 yo) and their adult chaperones near the top and learned how close it is to the 06 fire road. Half of them were overmatched so I had to wait a while for them to clear but itís fantastic that youngsters are learning on real trails like this and Sawtooth in Truckee.

This is less than half of the fully planned trail. If there is more built above then it isnít connected yet. When finished it will be a must-ride for those looking for some chunky flow that is not very challenging but still lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    All Hail The Chief ! Good stuff. Many
    Thanks to the Builders for this one.
    Itís got some rocky sections that rival Mills Peak trail

If this trail doesn't get hacked by shuttle riders, my money is on Mills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Discovered it by accident when riding the sawtooth trail. The banked turns make it a trail built for biking. Pretty fun.

Big chief trail-img_2241.jpgBig chief trail-img_2244.jpg

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Big chief trail-30314719738_7b0d26949f_c.jpgBig chief trail-44133888782_6988e54421_b.jpgBig chief trail-43463989664_6c1baebe91_b.jpgBig chief trail-44181468491_464fe81c92_b.jpg
    Big chief trail-42373950900_7603918895_b.jpg

Rode from the top (a little bit South of Robie Park) this morning all the way down and back up the 06 fire road. Ends up being a just under 10mi loop. The top bit (before you cross the fire road before the Big Chief) is pretty rough at the moment but looking good. A beautiful view looking out to Squaw, and some incredible stone work through one of the really rocky sections. Whoever laid that... can you come over and do my front walkway?

Then after the two chiefs it really gets going. Some terrific features - gap jumps, some nice drops, a log ride, and there's a really nice big rock with about 4 different ways down from it from mild to wild. And lots of really great chunky flow, some smooth flow with terrific berms - really just a little bit of everything. A massive amount of work has gone in to this, and some really nice design that makes it rideable by a wide range of folks and yet still challenging even for experts.

Have to say I agree with the folks that say it should be DH only. Not because "that's the way I want to ride it" or anything, but just that's the way it seems to have been built. There are some gap jumps that, while optional, are clearly intended to be part of the trail and you need to be going at a good clip to clear them. Then there's the "chunky flow" downhill stuff that really demands being ridden at pace to keep your momentum up and float over the rocks, and then the berms are such that riding them slowly would actually damage them - it's all pretty much built to keep your speed up in one direction. And yet... I can see how the folks who are in to techy/rocky climbing challenges would really enjoy going the other way. So not entirely sure how that's gonna work out when those folks encounter the people who are going fast enough to hit all the features as they were designed!

Terrific work, donating some $$ to https://www.truckeetrails.org/donate/ today!

mtbr member
    So - its worth a look even now huh? Sounds fun, would you give it a blue or black rating?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    So - its worth a look even now huh? Sounds fun, would you give it a blue or black rating?
    It's totally worth a look now. I guess I'd say it's chunky blue, but you could make it black if you a) go fast enough and b) hit the creative lines. I can't imagine anybody of any skill level would find it boring.

mtbr member
    Vote with your wallet, ya'know?! https://www.truckeetrails.org/donate/

mtbr member
    $10/month from my paycheck goes to TAMBA, Truckee Trails, STS, BONC. Each. Youíre welcome. For last two years.

Custom User Title
    Big Chief "officially" open or just kinda open? I don't see anything about it being open on the Truckee Trails web site.

Either way I guess it is okay to ride the trail as long as you don't smash into a work crew. Looks like some riders are already checking it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Decided to check out the trail today. A few thoughts.
    -It's a pretty good ride from Tahoe XC and back, with a little detour towards Carnelian Bay, a bit longer than it looks on a map. Bring food.
    -After dropping down OTB, I rode the trail from Robie Park. I was expecting mostly downhill. That is not the case. The trail from there is a lot of up and down, a lot of pedaling. I'm sure it will ride a lot better next year after it gets some moisture and tire tracks on it.
    -Riding up the O6 kinda blows, especially after already climbing over the mountain and riding the trail, but it definitely seems the logical way to ride this.
    -While I haven't seen it, the section between Robie Park and Watson will have a lot more downhill pitch, and I would think will be the highlight of the trail.
    -Overall, seems like a fun xc trail with some nice features. The crew has definitely put some love into the trail. I don't see it as being too appealing for shuttling in and of itself, though I suppose if someone was ambitious they could put together a long point to point with some other trails.
    -I'm looking forward to checking it out when it's completed and ridden in, but I'm thinking this will probably be a once or twice a year thing for me. Too many trails with a better fun/effort ratio between here and there, but always good to see new trails and I would love to see trails built like this with more sustained downhill (yes that's my elbow jabbing you in the ribs, TAMBA).

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Anyone know how far up it is rideable? Venturing up there next week and might check it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    Anyone know how far up it is rideable? Venturing up there next week and might check it out.
    Word from TTF is that there's another 1.5 miles yet to be dug. The new is new and very dusty, as is all of the Sierra this time of year. They plan to continue fine tuning until the snow sends them packing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hi All

A friend told me about this thread and I thought I'd check in to see if you had any questions? A couple of notes

- The trail is open and you're welcome to go check it out, it is dusty and new and the crew is working to pack it in and smooth out the bobbly sections.

- The trail does get a bit XC in the middle due to the nature of the topography and the other natural resources we had to avoid. The Big Chief area has some great habitat with active owl nests, bears, cats and managed dear fawning habitat. It also has a lot of history with important historic and pre-historic cultural resource sites. The trail is aligned to avoid these most sensitive areas, including meadows and watercourses.

- The trail is open to non motorized multiple use, but is designed and managed for mountain biking. There will be new trail head signage that strongly encourages people to use the 06 as the uphill route. eventually we'll be adding in a short single track section to avoid the switchbacks on the 06.

- The crew is starting the next section of trail this coming week from the 06 road crossing up to Watson lake. This new section will offer a significant elevation loss and we'll be taking advantage of the rocky hillside to incorporate some advanced technical features into the trail.

-We're planning to have the entire trail completed by the end of October and we're still looking for help. If you're into more technical fast AM trail, this next section will speak to you. please contact Truckee Trails Foundation if you want to get involved.

Last Note - The majority of the upper trail is on Northstar property which they are providing public easement across. They've been a great partner in this project. REI is funding all of the construction with a grant through the National Forest Foundation to TTF. REI also funded the Alder Creek trail reconstruction project last years work on the PCT and Summit Lake trail.

If you have any questions on Big Chief or USFS Trail management in Truckee, feel free to reach out here or via email below

Thanks

John Groom
    Forest Service, Truckee RD, Recreation program manager
    jgroom@fs.fed.us

mtbr member
    All great to hear and thanks very much for your hard work! I will continue to make donations, and hopefully one day get out for a volunteer day.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thorough update, John, and super happy to hear about the pending elevation loss and tech features! If my right upper half wasn't all broke I'd be out there some for sure.

Custom User Title
    I rode Big Chief a few weeks back and had a blast. Nice rock "features", banked turns and rough sections will test your suspension setup. The trail has a lot of variety and will keep you're attention all the way.

Thank you to all involved!!!

mtbr member
    Exciting news! Donation $$ well spent!

Moderator Moderator
    Looks like paradise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have to say: really good work on this trail!. Rode up it and marveled at the design and effort.

Donated to Truckee trails and looking forward to doing the entire thing next season.

mtbr member
    Enjoyed the ď Chief ď today. Got on the uppermost section for the first time. Great views from up there . Came across the TRT from 267 to OTB then up the 06 to Big Chief and out the Sawtooth.
    My hat is off to all who worked on this project and to Truckee Trails Foundation

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeRD View Post
    Hi All

A friend told me about this thread and I thought I'd check in to see if you had any questions? A couple of notes

- The trail is open and you're welcome to go check it out, it is dusty and new and the crew is working to pack it in and smooth out the bobbly sections.

- The trail does get a bit XC in the middle due to the nature of the topography and the other natural resources we had to avoid. The Big Chief area has some great habitat with active owl nests, bears, cats and managed dear fawning habitat. It also has a lot of history with important historic and pre-historic cultural resource sites. The trail is aligned to avoid these most sensitive areas, including meadows and watercourses.

- The trail is open to non motorized multiple use, but is designed and managed for mountain biking. There will be new trail head signage that strongly encourages people to use the 06 as the uphill route. eventually we'll be adding in a short single track section to avoid the switchbacks on the 06.

- The crew is starting the next section of trail this coming week from the 06 road crossing up to Watson lake. This new section will offer a significant elevation loss and we'll be taking advantage of the rocky hillside to incorporate some advanced technical features into the trail.

-We're planning to have the entire trail completed by the end of October and we're still looking for help. If you're into more technical fast AM trail, this next section will speak to you. please contact Truckee Trails Foundation if you want to get involved.

Last Note - The majority of the upper trail is on Northstar property which they are providing public easement across. They've been a great partner in this project. REI is funding all of the construction with a grant through the National Forest Foundation to TTF. REI also funded the Alder Creek trail reconstruction project last years work on the PCT and Summit Lake trail.

If you have any questions on Big Chief or USFS Trail management in Truckee, feel free to reach out here or via email below

Thanks

John Groom
    Forest Service, Truckee RD, Recreation program manager
    jgroom@fs.fed.us
    Looking forward to the next section getting done, maybe I'll have some free time to pitch in. If it's anything like the section that's already built, but steeper, should be really fun. Not sure the lower section is worth the effort for me to pedal to from the north shore on a regular basis, but if the upper segment is fun (which I believe it will be) that might make it into the rotation, using OTB to return back to this side.

mtbr member
    Rode it today. Not my bag. Great work by TT and REI. Give it a year of pounding rain and snow pack and more tires on it in spring maybe Iíll try again then. The best part of it for me was the big rock jumps, slabs, etc and the short flow trail. Berms are made well. Itís tough to maintain speed, must be pedalling majority of trail to keep flow and make even thw small gaps. Just my take, its no complaint. I think with time it should open up a bit faster but its very xc. We went to the top and found the tractors where it looks like the next section is going in. Cool zone, wish it was steeper is all. It would be fun to session the short flowy area and the boulders. Its a good loop adding in some Sawtooth.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Rode Big Chief on Saturday at the end of a 32 mile ride. We were expecting slightly more descent and speed, so we were kinda bummed by all the jagged rocks and false-flat that necessitaed constant gruning and pedaling.

BUT

holy crap are some sections awesome!!! Big rock rollers, drops, log rides, jumps. As someone who has done a share trail design and building, I couldn't get over how much work went into some sections.

As the trail sits now it's not one you hit for a rowdy descent - but it IS one you hit for some totally rad features to play around on. Really reminded me of trails in the PNW and in the Northeast US. Where you'll be pedalling at aellow pace,minding your own business, and BOOM! Here's this big macho move on front of you. By far the most exciting features I've seen on public trails in a long time. Loads of fun.

As others have said I think time, rain, snowpack, and a bit if springtime love will really bring the trail to life.

Huge props to TTA and land managers. This thing ain't finished yet and it's already rad!

NedwannaB
    Was just talking to an aquaintence about this trail today. Have to check it out now!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Paper or plastic?
    For the locals, how big of a ride would it be to go up western States to Watson lake down big chief and sawtooth as a point to point shuttle?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My best guess would be that it would take a bit under 4 hours, but I haven't climbed to Watson Lake from that direction. If you were going to shuttle, might as well go to the top of Mt. Watson, but that is a long way to go to set up a xc shuttle. Top of 267, Tahoe xc, or any of the points in between would make for a better climb to Watson Lake.

mtbr member
    Left a car at The Sawtooth parking lot on the 06 and shuttle to the top of 267 2 weeks ago. We rode the TRT to Watson Lake then around Watson peak to the OTB then took the 06 to the current upper most finished section of the BCT. Rode down the BCT to Sawtooth back to the car. About 4 1/2 hours Saddle time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    For the locals, how big of a ride would it be to go up western States to Watson lake down big chief and sawtooth as a point to point shuttle?

Are you thinking up Western States-OTB-06-Big Chief and finish on Sawtooth? If that is the case, I would think 3.5-4 hours would be a good guesstimate.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    Are you thinking up Western States-OTB-06-Big Chief and finish on Sawtooth? If that is the case, I would think 3.5-4 hours would be a good guesstimate.
    Western states, wallternate, painted rock to the lake to the future start of big chief. That would be 2500' plus big chief - sawtooth, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Western states, wallternate, painted rock to the lake to the future start of big chief. That would be 2500' plus big chief - sawtooth, right?

yes

dis member
    JC, what does your schedule look like over the next six or so weeks? I have to make few one and two day trips up to a soft landing spot we have in Tahoe City to drop off some furniture and get a little work done but it would be just great to grab a ride with you at the same time. Big Chief in its current state is really intriguing.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by backpedal View Post
    JC, what does your schedule look like over the next six or so weeks? I have to make few one and two day trips up to a soft landing spot we have in Tahoe City to drop off some furniture and get a little work done but it would be just great to grab a ride with you at the same time. Big Chief in its current state is really intriguing.
    If this is addressed to me. Plan on going back in 2-3 weekends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    On Sunday I tried to go Western States, Wall, Painted Rock to Big Chief by Upper Deer creek. that very top section looked like it was done at first, but as I went on the trail become more and more unridable until about quarter way in, the trail disappeared entirely. after a mile hike through thorny brush with my bike slung over my shoulder I finally made it to the fireroad so I could start on the finished big chief section. Wasn't able to make it all the way because I was running out of daylight but that upper section has at least 3-4 weeks left before there is even enough of a clearing to hike through much less ride.

That said, will try again this Saturday and go from Western States, to bottom of big chief and back down western states sans-the thorny bushes.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Looks fantastic -- been a couple of years since I've made it down from the PNW; but I guess I need to make that happen. Thanks for all the great work Truckee Trails! Made my donation...

mtbr member
    Did this ride yesterday. 2:45 moving time (about 3:15 total) from WS to the Cottonwood and 21 miles. I skipped the last bit of Sawtooth as I was wiped.

Everything is in good shape right now. Big Chief is open from the 06, just past Deer Creek. There is a nice downhill to start with several fun features thrown into the mix. Then it's a somewhat torturous twelve minutes or so of pedaling, up and down, until you get to the original section. The fun really starts with a big rock slab roll to a step up over another large boulder. The feature wasn't built up the last time I was there, over a month ago. The remainder of the trail has been commented on here previously.

My overall thought is that this is a great addition to the area, with lots of 'sessionable' features. Yes, you will be pedaling a lot, and the plethora of loose shale slows you down and kind of beats the sh*t out of your hands after a while. I imagine that it will be better in the spring.

All in all, thanks and nice work to Truckee Trails! Now, how about a descent from the end of Big Chief to 89, linking it to Jellystone Park, while skipping the slog that is Sawtooth? Hah, sure that will never happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Did this ride yesterday. 2:45 moving time (about 3:15 total) from WS to the Cottonwood and 21 miles. I skipped the last bit of Sawtooth as I was wiped.

Everything is in good shape right now. Big Chief is open from the 06, just past Deer Creek. There is a nice downhill to start with several fun features thrown into the mix. Then it's a somewhat torturous twelve minutes or so of pedaling, up and down, until you get to the original section. The fun really starts with a big rock slab roll to a step up over another large boulder. The feature wasn't built up the last time I was there, over a month ago. The remainder of the trail has been commented on here previously.

My overall thought is that this is a great addition to the area, with lots of 'sessionable' features. Yes, you will be pedaling a lot, and the plethora of loose shale slows you down and kind of beats the sh*t out of your hands after a while. I imagine that it will be better in the spring.

All in all, thanks and nice work to Truckee Trails! Now, how about a descent from the end of Big Chief to 89, linking it to Jellystone Park, while skipping the slog that is Sawtooth? Hah, sure that will never happen.
    I too rode it yesterday as an out and back from the Sawtooth to the 06 (1800' of climbing in 19.5 miles, easy pedaling in both directions). Anytime there was a short climb, they put in a spin section or grade reversal. The trail is very unique and offers many different features rarely, if ever, found in a single trail.

Big shout out to those who laid the ground work and those who built the trail including volunteers, great job. It is a game changer for Truckee trails.

dis member
    [QUOTE=Schril;13863443]I too rode it yesterday as an out and back from the Sawtooth to the 06 /QUOTE]

Did you start and end at the Sawtooth Trailhead in Truckee? That's what I intend to try out this Sunday afternoon. Sawtooth counterclockwise, up the 06, down Granite Chief, then more of Sawtooth with an eye on Two Beavers and Bear and Two Bridges if I still have the legs for it. I might not. Anyone want to join me?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    [QUOTE=backpedal;13867484]
    I too rode it yesterday as an out and back from the Sawtooth to the 06 /QUOTE]

Did you start and end at the Sawtooth Trailhead in Truckee? That's what I intend to try out this Sunday afternoon. Sawtooth counterclockwise, up the 06, down Granite Chief, then more of Sawtooth with an eye on Two Beavers and Bear and Two Bridges if I still have the legs for it. I might not. Anyone want to join me?
    I started at the trailhead off Thelin Dr. rode out along above the river, out and back Big Chief, then finished the other side of Sawtooth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    A huge shout out and thank you to John Groom, the Forest Service, Northstar and everyone else involved in the creation of this trail. I had the pleasure of riding it last weekend and it is exceptional. I was particularly impressed with how rock was incorporated into the trail as part of the experience and challenge.

I can see a lot of effort was put into the planning, design and construction.

mtbr member
    Is this trail complete and open to public now?
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    Is this trail complete and open to public now?
    It sure is! Hub deep in loose but man is it fun!