Big Basin Redwoods State Park Friday May 24, 2013 ~~~~~ MBTB 15- Mtbr.com
    More pie please

Big Basin Redwoods State Park Friday May 24, 2013 ~~~~~ MBTB 15

Let's get a thread going for the May-By-The-Bay Big Basin/Butano ride…

I think we have a consensus: Friday May 24th meet @ Big Basin HQ, roll at 10am.

~37 miles and 5500'

Pace = your pace!

Parking = $10

HQ weather forecast.

Beach weather forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    …I just found out through shredchic that the usual eating spot at Gazos Creek is now a brewery!
    highway 1 brewing co or junk food from the gas station.

stokage…

Take Friday off, ride bike, take Friday off, ride bike, take Friday off, ride bike…
    Long live long rides

rho
    Life is strange
    Super duper kick ass awesome ride!

I'm super bummed I won't be able to make it.

mtbr member

I'm planning to follow in your tire tracks and do this ride on Saturday, as Friday is a no-go for me.

mtbr member
    Very stoked.. I sense a new PR up Butano Fire Road fueled by Gazos Creek brews!

I expect to be fighting JL for the Strava KOM on the Johansen descent.. that should be epic...

mtbr member
    Looks like we'll have very similar weather to last year's event..

~~~
    I'm out this year. Have a great ride!

pro leisure tour

Waaaah!

Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Super duper kick ass awesome ride!

I'm super bummed I won't be able to make it.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    I'm out this year. Have a great ride!
    And also what he said.

This has been one of my favorite rides each year with some very fun type peoples. But alas this year my plans have been preempted by the college graduation of a very wonderful niece. So enjoy this one extra hard for me guys!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Tried to join you guys two years ago, will try better tomorrow. Assuming social pace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Tried to join you guys two years ago, will try better tomorrow. Assuming social pace.
    Absolutely.. social pace not "social pace". There will be some sprinting and shenanigans but regroups everywhere.

mtbr member
    Will be there.

mtbr member
    Crap...this sounds cool but have to pick up daughter at school at 3 in LG. I could probably go with an earlier start but 10 doesn't sound possible for me...is there ST?
    I'm not sure how this works.

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Crap...this sounds cool but have to pick up daughter at school at 3 in LG. I could probably go with an earlier start but 10 doesn't sound possible for me...is there ST?
    Maybe.... Its really a pretty cruse around in the forest on old roads, ride some awesome trails... You'd like it, but its really more of a social pace social ride.

mtbr member
    Dammit, work and related stuff will make it very unlikely I can show up. Skyline35, please make your spinning disc bigger! Very fun ride indeed, if anyone would need more endorsements...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    Dammit, work and related stuff will make it very unlikely I can show up. Skyline35, please make your spinning disc bigger! Very fun ride indeed, if anyone would need more endorsements...
    Boooooooooooooo

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I will be there racing for KOMs, but with nice long breaks at all the usual spots.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    Dammit, work and related stuff will make it very unlikely I can show up.
    That was me last year :-(

Are you free Saturday evening? Coe. Full Moon.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Spin-stabilized
    I'm out
    Have fun!
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member

This ride is sucking
    Big Basin Redwoods State Park Friday May 24, 2013 ~~~~~ MBTB 15-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369434939.957283.jpg
    Last edited by ratpick; 05-24-2013 at 11:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Great ride today and a super nice group to do it with. This is indeed one of my favorite group rides of the year!

mtbr member
    Great riding with you guys!!!!!!! This is one of best group rides.

mtbr member
    Awesome ride.. lots of photos to come.. love riding with you guys!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    That was fun. Nice meeting all you guys. Thanks for keeping the social pace for me.

mtbr member
    Click on any photo to see the whole album!

We began with 6 adventurous May-by-the-Bay-ers, with one deciding to head back at Chalk Mountain after the intimidating climb up to it.

It was chilly when we started but warmed up very quickly so we stopped at the first clearing to take off layers, then on to Sandy Point

From MBTB Big Basin Ride - May 2013

The Sandy Point treehouse is slowly progressing - looks fantastic!

We didn't linger here too long, although it is a pretty and interesting spot

Once we hit the road to Chalk Mountain, JL took off ahead so I was forced to mark him to protect what I thought was my KOM (turns out it was ElHombre's and I stole it from him in the process!)

It was a seriously beautiful day out there!

I felt good on the climb to Chalk Mountain so got to get into position to take everyone's photo as they arrived

We rested a bit, ate and chatted. Here is where poff usually whips out his sausage but sadly all he had was a salami sandwich!

Dane, who had joined us, decided to turn back so we continued a man down to the next peak which was has been cleaned up after some storm damage last year. We checked out the views and headed off quickly

The Narrow Fireroad of Awesome lived up to its name, with Axe coming to grief on the slippery gravel at the top and poff managing to not get killed, as he thought he might. Skyline35 had the best cleaning day on the switchbacks!

We had no problem finding the single track down to Highway 1. There was a pack of twitter workers out on a team-building hike, but they didn't get in our way and we managed to not run them down!

We pacelined along Hwy 1 into a very strong headwind, spirits raised when we saw this sign

Understandably, the guys were eager to continue on up the climb, but some protesting and pouting by me scored us a table in the brewery!

It felt like a party, as we ordered a variety of appetisers and I had a couple of pints of their beers (pretty decent!)

Great spot.. I hope this brewery survives out here! We hit the road and dodged the traffic on Gazos Creek Rd up to Butano State Park

The guys had a mission and with no messing around, straight up the trail

We rode together for a bit but naturally separated as it got steeper and poff had little choice but to ride at the cadence his single speed preferred. I joined him for the climb, trying to match my gears to his cadence to share in his pain!

KOM runs were made at the airstrip!

We had chatted a bit about the Olmo Fire Road option - JL suggested we descend down just a little to check it out, so when we got there, he and I did just that. It dipped down pretty quickly, giving us a 20+% climb back out. It would be brutal to climb the whole trail!

We regrouped at the top of the fire road, at the scout camp, then casually rode over to the Johansen turnoff. Last year, I had captured the KOM of this 2.9 mile descent but JL had gone out and stolen it just a few weeks later. With my new bike, I was determined to win it back so I said "later" to everyone and took off.

It was a successful recapture, with an extra minute of security should JL (or ElHombre) go back for glory!

Back at Big Basin HQ, we changed and drank some beer, ate chips, dip, salsa and chocolate and chatted.

Love this route and a great group to ride with! Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice pictures and great write-up. Let's see if Charlie can surpass this with his pictures.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong View Post
    Nice pictures and great write-up. Let's see if Charlie can surpass this with his pictures.
    I had a better day on the bike than behind the camera!

Well here are a few...

Axe's Chalk Road break-away:

Top of Chalk Mountain, poff, ratpick, JL:

Pigeon Point lighthouse far on the horizon:

A critical turn:

ratpick, poff, JL, Axe:

A couple beers and ratpick is psyched to crush the Butano Road climb, graaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

JL stealing my lame airstrip KOM:

JL, ratpick, poff:

That was a super fun day, guys!!!!!!!
    ///Charlie

Ben Lomand:

Davenport:

Long live long rides

jms
    mtbr member

Ask Chuck!

Nice picture Charlie. Your photos made me wish I was along all the more. It's such a great area to ride. I was super bummed I couldn't do this ride with you guys because of all things, a work conflict. Wish I could have been there to show you a couple extra bits to add to the narrow fire road portion of the route...........

If you want to know about Olmo, ask Chuck, he's been up it with me........LOL...we both wondered how "cat litter" can defy gravity andkeep from all sliding to the bottom of the hill. The most vertical bits of Olmo are actually in the first third, down in the Redwoods, but traction is so limited towards the top that the toughest section is in the last quarter of the climb. It's @ a solid hour of climbing in the Pixie ring, on the far left side of the cassette....... for me anyway to get to the top.

If Ratpick or El Hombre or anyone familiar with the basic route would like to do it again, with an Olmo detour and a slightly different drop back toward the park HQ from Johansens..........
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member

Thanks for the inspiration guys. Did the same route yesterday and had a blast. It was empty out there, until I returned to headquarters to find the barbarian hordes swarming the HQ. I downloaded ratpick's gps track and was glad I did. First time using my edge 800 to follow a course - simply amazing to have it beep to tell me I missed a turn. Didn't have to use my paper map at all. That section with all the switchbacks was a really great stretch, although I had just put on a new bar to try out the night before, and the clearance between the trees was very close in a few sections. The Butano climb reminded me a lot of the climb from Aptos up to the top of Demo. It was a long schlep from Oakland, but would certainly go back and do it again.

Big Basin Redwoods State Park Friday May 24, 2013 ~~~~~ MBTB 15-image.jpg

Big Basin Redwoods State Park Friday May 24, 2013 ~~~~~ MBTB 15-image.jpg
    Last edited by plantdude; 05-28-2013 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration guys. Did the same route yesterday and had a blast. It was empty out there, until I returned to headquarters to find the barbarian hordes swarming the HQ. I downloaded ratpick's gps track and was glad I did. First time using my edge 800 to follow a course - simply amazing to have it beep to tell me I missed a turn. Didn't have to use my paper map at all. That section with all the switchbacks was a really great stretch, although I had just put on a new bar to try out the night before, and the clearance between the trees was very close in a few sections.
    Yes, the "Narrow Fireroad of Awesome" is awesome and kudos for going through the trees - many of our group opted to bypass and SHAME on them!

I hope you didn't follow my track down the top of Olmo

It's a great ride.. really fun as a group ride!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Yes, the "Narrow Fireroad of Awesome" is awesome and kudos for going through the trees - many of our group opted to bypass and SHAME on them!
    Sorry, I was still bleeding from following you too closely a few turns before.

I joined him for the climb, trying to match my gears to his cadence to share in his pain!
    I will bring a 50lb kettlebell for your camelback next time, so that you could share mine.

enjoying the scenery
    I made the trip down to BB looking forward to a lengthy adventure on the saddle. Was nearly front ended twice on the road into BB, need to honk from now on as I make those sharp corners, far more used to riding that road than driving. Arrived at HQ to find the temps around 50 in the tall trees and Met up with some people whose exploits I have read about for a while so that was cool. Once rolling it warmed up quickly as we made our way west. Gazos Creek Road is a fire road but still it very nice ride, you are deep in the woods and surrounded by green. I had forgot the trip "down" to Highway 1 had so much uphill! As expected I was falling back and then JL came along to "shepard" me on. We regrouped at the odd house at the junction of all trails, compete with a sweet treehouse featuring double paned windows. For folks looking for unique geologies, Chalk Mountain is it. From the cool, dark trees we burst out onto a rubbly field of white. The entire hill just crumbles to your touch.

Was sorely missing my sunglasses now. After a few steep climbs, the group was well ahead of me and I began to think twice about continuing. Not sure that was the best decision because I now have to do it again to complete the ride and I experienced some of the worst traffic ever on 880 just past the SJ airport. I will be out there next time, just scratch more arrows at the turns and I am good to go. Nice meeting you all.
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon

Medium?
    If you were thinking about turning around at Chalk Mtn, you're damn glad you did.

The combination of the headwind road ride, the rolling road climb up to Butano and the giant Butano climb are cumulatively killer and there's no bail out once you descend the fire road of awesome.

I like mtn biking, too
    Man, Ratpick has the best ride reports! And Charlie... I wish I had those kind of mad skillz but I do not. I used to go down Olmo quite a bit when I wanted a short Butano ride. Yeah, that gravel at the top is a bit sketch when it's dry - kinda like snowboarding with a bike. It's just a 30 min drive from HMB to Butano, so that was convenient ride when I was out that way. I love how it feels like you are 20 million miles away from civilization out there, and yet there is a random brewery now!
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    If you were thinking about turning around at Chalk Mtn, you're damn glad you did.

The combination of the headwind road ride, the rolling road climb up to Butano and the giant Butano climb are cumulatively killer and there's no bail out once you descend the fire road of awesome.
    Not so. You can go turn up Gazos Creek Rd from Cloverdale and follow it back to the park HQ.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Not so. You can go turn up Gazos Creek Rd from Cloverdale and follow it back to the park HQ.
    That's not exactly a bail-out, but I guess it's 1000' less climbing or so.