bicycle traffic ticket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

bicycle traffic ticket

i would like to say first and foremost... i am an idiot and i should have been obeying traffic laws yada yada yada.

ok so now thats out of the way. i go to school in davis where many know it as a bike town. the cops here have nothing better to meet their quota's with than ticket college students on bikes. i would say about 98% of the students in davis all run stop signs and red lights... and break just about every other traffic law in existance. anyways, friday morning i was riding to work at approx 6:50 am and i california roll a stop sign and a very non busy red light. both intersections were on campus... hopefully that would tell how non busy they are. anyways right after the red light i get pulled over and issued a ticket. i was completely cooperative and the ticketing process went as smooth as possible. didnt wanna piss off the cop and get more fines slapped on. long story short i learned my lesson and i have my first moving traffic violation ever.

my question is does anyone know what the penalty for such a crime is? fines? traffic school? if anyone knows the laws specific to davis and yolo county... that would be great. on top of that my bike was not registered to the stupid service that davis requires you to have. i believe that gives me a bigger fine. should i challenge the ticket? should i just pay the fines and be over with?

i was given the ticket and instructed to call a number within 21 days. i called and they dont even have my ticket on record yet. so im just wondering if anyone knows the penalty or has any advice while i wait for processing. the wait is almost as bad as waiting for a new bike to come in after you ordered it at your LBS.

Oct 2008
    It never gets old reading about areas that enforce bike laws. lol. I'm sure its some minimal fine. At the most they will treat it as if you were a car rolling the stop sign, so maybe a point, maybe traffic school.

I'm so glad i wont bike in davis. That whole "register your bike" crap is idiotic. Afterall, its a freakin bicycle. Most of the bikes on the davis campus arent worth more then 300 bucks.

And don't get me going on the "BUI" nonsense.

mtbr member
    Expect possibly (most likely) a Very big ticket, normally the same as if you were in a car. I've gotten two red light violations in the past, both over $300 dollars. Fought both though, one was reduced to $20, pleaded guilty for a reason (Light did not detect my bike and I ran it when safe). Other was complete bull cause even though I stopped I had rolled over the line while track standing, gotta love Sausalito cops. Even though I lost the second one in court, Marin did have a bike handling class you could attend for $50 and they dropped the fine.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    pay it.

But go to court to fight it so that you can get it reduced from 300 to 20 bucks as someone suggest.

One, this will not go into your car insurance record, so just pay 20 bucks and be over with it.

Two, who cares, just your unlucky lucky day. When you go interview for a job, no one will care that you got a bicycling ticket.

Just pay it and forget about it.

BUT if you dont, there will be a warrant out for you. Next time you get pull over, you are going to jail to sit with some real criminals. Is that what you prefer?

The tickets take a while to process. My speeding ticket at a local trail took more than 2 wks and it was more than a month before they mail me a physical pay this amount ticket or appear in court paper.

organically fed
    cops. pshht!

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think the penalities are the same as for a motor vehicle with the exception of points. since a bicycle doesnt require a license to operate I think they cant asses points on your license.

as for having nothing better to do, its more of a case of safety. if everyone follows the rules then everyone knows what to expect from other road users. also if the laws are enforced equally then motorists can stop complaining about scofflaw cyclists be more allowing of us on the road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rox
    I think the penalities are the same as for a motor vehicle with the exception of points. since a bicycle doesnt require a license to operate I think they cant asses points on your license.

as for having nothing better to do, its more of a case of safety. if everyone follows the rules then everyone knows what to expect from other road users. also if the laws are enforced equally then motorists can stop complaining about scofflaw cyclists be more allowing of us on the road.
    he took down my license number anyways.

not a lot of crime goes on in davis. the biggest crime would be a bike theft. so yea, the cops dont have much to look forward to, nor do they have anything to meet their quota's with. so they meet their quota's with people on bicycles.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Linga115

not a lot of crime goes on in davis. the biggest crime would be a bike theft. so yea, the cops dont have much to look forward to, nor do they have anything to meet their quota's with. so they meet their quota's with people on bicycles.
    Cops don't have Quotas.

mtbr member
    I chose to ignore a jay-walking ticket and wound up with a warrant out for my arrest. I managed to go to court before they could arrest me. Judges usually knock a lot off the fine if you're nice.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Jan 2009

don't sweat it

I flew through a stop sign on Canada Rd. (Redwood City), Paid my fair share to support the city. (it was around $100, probably 30% of the regular fee). It does not go anywhere from here. No points, no insurance etc.

If the bill is out of your "budget" you can beg for the judge to lower it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aboross
    I flew through a stop sign on Canada Rd. (Redwood City), Paid my fair share to support the city. (it was around $100, probably 30% of the regular fee). It does not go anywhere from here. No points, no insurance etc.

If the bill is out of your "budget" you can beg for the judge to lower it.
    thanks for the info. what sucks for me is the court house is in woodland while i am in davis. i dont have a car and there is not too much means of transportation to that city. i think they do this on purpose so people dont challenge the tickets they get

mtbr member
    My brother goes to davis and got a ticket riding through a stop sign, just a few months ago. The ticket was originally $130 I believe, but the ticket came in the mail at his apartment when he was on winter break. Now because of some stupid thing that any fines not paid in 2008 would cost another $30-$40. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

May the Force be with you

Goals

Quote Originally Posted by ZQ8Dude
    Cops don't have Quotas.
    No, they have Goals

organically fed
    Cops don't have Quotas.
    Not literally, they don't. But they do have pressure to perform and produce "results", not to mention the sh!t talking competitions they get into with each other.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    My brother goes to davis and got a ticket riding through a stop sign, just a few months ago. The ticket was originally $130 I believe, but the ticket came in the mail at his apartment when he was on winter break. Now because of some stupid thing that any fines not paid in 2008 would cost another $30-$40. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
    that sucks. i heard on the phone recording of that new law. sucks that it screws over so many people. just when you though the day couldnt get any worse... they slap a new fine on you... im hoping im a little luckier.

is your brother on the cycling team by any chance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    'm glad he didn't put you face-down on the ground and shoot you in the back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcruz
    'm glad he didn't put you face-down on the ground and shoot you in the back.
    nah i gave him no reason to. i was as cooperative as possible. that was probably the smoothest ticket he's ever given.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    Not literally, they don't. But they do have pressure to perform and produce "results", not to mention the sh!t talking competitions they get into with each other.
    what does a sh1t talking competition have to do with anything??

Pressure to perform is not the same as a having a quota by any means.

organically fed
    what does a sh1t talking competition have to do with anything??

Pressure to perform is not the same as a having a quota by any means.
    1. They get into little "contests" with each other over who can pass out the most citations.

2. The comparison is not that much of a stretch.

You can keep arguing semantics as much as you'd like, but I'm bored now.

dw22107
    Jan 2008

Sausalito cops pass out $380 tickets

A few years ago my roommate got a ticket in Sausalito for going through an orange light. Sausalito cops like to give out $380 tickets. He went to court to try and get it reduced. There was one guy driving 85mph on 101 in Marin and his fine was much less than my roommates. All the drivers of automobiles fines were smaller than his. No love lost for the Sausalito police department here.

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    I was fined for biking past a schoolbus with flashers on in San Anselmo. The ticket was $120. If I was in a car, the ticket would have been $700+. So there must be some scale set forth (at least there) that weighs the violation.

In Fairfax, I got a ticket for making a "no right turn 7-9 am" turn onto a secondary street in my neighborhood. Got the full vehicle fine on that one, but working with MCBC we got the law to exempt bikes

The Fairfax>Ross corridor is notoriously patrolled.

Alien Surf Team
    For it not being on record yet: 1) You can't pay it until the cop gets processed in the office (either the cop is slow or they're behind in processing. Just wait til the mail comes. 2) Just pay it and do the online traffic school if it's offered. I did it for my wife and it took about an hour. Now that I think about it I should have made her pay me back with special bedroom tasks. hahaha. I'm so stupid.

For me on stop signs in town: I slow up somewhat, look if its clear and for cops, and roll through. I do not blaze through at mach speed. That's just asking for a ticket. Sure some cops are pricks and will ticket you no matter what but most will see you at least slowed up and looked. Now for residential stop signs in quiet areas I just blaze through those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish
    For me on stop signs in town: I slow up somewhat, look if its clear and for cops, and roll through. I do not blaze through at mach speed. That's just asking for a ticket. Sure some cops are pricks and will ticket you no matter what but most will see you at least slowed up and looked. Now for residential stop signs in quiet areas I just blaze through those.
    same here. i slowed down for the stop sign and red light. the cops here just like giving out tickets.

Alien Surf Team
    When I was a kid we had a neighborhood cop that was assigned to our area. Town of 150K people but still the cops had their own areas and we saw him almost every day. We never got ticketed for anything. He'd just call our parents. He was actually a pretty cool guy and would let the little things slide but just make sure you knew that he knew what you were up to. haha

mtbr member
    If you are not driving a car, you don't have to show him your drivers license.

Alien Surf Team
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave
    If you are not driving a car, you don't have to show him your drivers license.
    Listening to this advice could end you in jail for providing false information in an attempt to provide a false identity. Sure you don't have to carry it if you're not driving. However if you have it on you and lie, or you don't have it on you and lie about not having one you could be arrested. And you don't have to be driving, riding, walking, etc. It has to do with your identity not a moving violation.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    I chose to ignore a jay-walking ticket and wound up with a warrant out for my arrest. I managed to go to court before they could arrest me. Judges usually knock a lot off the fine if you're nice.
    I KNEW you were trouble
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

pro leisure tour

its about safety

Go to court. Get a ride to Woodland. Admit that you ran the light. Tell the judge it seemed safe to you as: there were no cars around, the weather was clear and dry, plenty of daylight, all equipment is in good condition, etc. Add that "I slowed enough to look at everything. I am the one most responsible for my personal safety and I am the one who will be hurt if I crash. With this in mind, I feel that I was not operating unsafely at the time."

Two things can happen next. The judge may schedule a trial where the officer will be asked to show that you were operating unsafely. A possible example of that would be that the sprinklers were on in the center divider and water was on the pavement making road conditions unsafe. Or the judge may reduce your fine.

No matter what you do, in the future watch more carefully for cops so you don't have to deal with this crud again.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    that sucks. i heard on the phone recording of that new law. sucks that it screws over so many people. just when you though the day couldnt get any worse... they slap a new fine on you... im hoping im a little luckier.

is your brother on the cycling team by any chance?
    Nope he's not on a cycling team.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    so i called the traffic court house place and they said a bicycle fine is 169 per offense. since i have 2 on there my total is 338. i am definitely going to court to reduce that.

Uncle

Where I live

For me on stop signs in town: I slow up somewhat, look if its clear and for cops, and roll through. I do not blaze through at mach speed. That's just asking for a ticket.
    Blowing a light or stop sign at light speed is asking for death. No one anywhere should fly through intersections at mach speed -- too many cell phones, drunks, junkies, stoners, people skipping or misusing their meds, or just plain senile folks that haven't yet had their licenses pulled. Far too many folks accidentally running their intersections with 3500lbs of steel at their side. Nope, not me never since seeing my neighbor crush the side of a car and keep driving, later saying, "Oh, did I hit something? Yeah, I do that sometimes." That's all I needed to see to change my habits.

But hey, do what you want.

pro leisure tour
    i am definitely going to court to reduce that.
    You didn't say if you were being unsafe or not. If there was traffic or other conditions that made this unsafe court might not be for you. The total could actually rise when court costs are added.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJ
    You didn't say if you were being unsafe or not. If there was traffic or other conditions that made this unsafe court might not be for you. The total could actually rise when court costs are added.
    i was being safe, i ALWAYS slow to make sure it is safe at every intersection. i dont necessarily stop, however if there is a car or i see that it is not safe; i always stop. in the case of the stop sign, i slowed down before going past it. in the case of the red light, i acutally made a right turn onto the sidewalk and turned around to ride through the cross walk (which was green) to the other side (a long way to make a left turn). there were no cars and i did slow down when i approached each intersection.

Oct 2008
    1. They get into little "contests" with each other over who can pass out the most citations.

2. The comparison is not that much of a stretch.

You can keep arguing semantics as much as you'd like, but I'm bored now.
    got proof?

Oct 2008
    Listening to this advice could end you in jail for providing false information in an attempt to provide a false identity. Sure you don't have to carry it if you're not driving. However if you have it on you and lie, or you don't have it on you and lie about not having one you could be arrested. And you don't have to be driving, riding, walking, etc. It has to do with your identity not a moving violation.
    That doesnt sound right. Afterall, if not having ID on you is not an issue. Then having it and not producing it should not be an issue. Especially while riding a vehicle that does not require a license. Unless you're committing a crime on the bicycle.

Furthermore, an officer cannot just walk up to a random citizen and demand an ID. An officer has to perform a Terry Stop, which means he/she has to have a reasonable cause to stop you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That doesnt sound right. Afterall, if not having ID on you is not an issue. Then having it and not producing it should not be an issue. Especially while riding a vehicle that does not require a license. Unless you're committing a crime on the bicycle.

Furthermore, an officer cannot just walk up to a random citizen and demand an ID. An officer has to perform a Terry Stop, which means he/she has to have a reasonable cause to stop you.
    i didnt have my CA ID on me. i had my school ID. he got my license number through the info he demanded. ie. my name, birth date, address. i dont carry my wallet on me when i go to school simply because i dont need it. just my school ID at best usually gets me through the day.

Oct 2005
    First step in getting out of this is verifying if he used a state MOTOR VEHICLE code to issue you a summons. Then you're going to have to go through the law index for your state and county and look for the precedents to throw this case out because you weren't on a motor vehicle and can't be charged as such.

organically fed
    got proof?
    Proof? Yeah, I've been an eyewitness to it and even a participant in it.

You're really acting foolish now, kid. Run along and play.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    First step in getting out of this is verifying if he used a state MOTOR VEHICLE code to issue you a summons. Then you're going to have to go through the law index for your state and county and look for the precedents to throw this case out because you weren't on a motor vehicle and can't be charged as such.
    Bicycle Use. VC 21200

Every person riding a bicycle upon a street or highway has all the rights and is subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Oct 2005
    Damn.

Oct 2008
    Proof? Yeah, I've been an eyewitness to it and even a participant in it.

You're really acting foolish now, kid. Run along and play.
    kid? screw you.

So you were/are a douche cop, that doesnt mean they all are

Alien Surf Team

I think you mean it doesn't sound fair. In some ways you're right. Anybody would feel violated. Here's a little more to consider.

1. You're right, a cop should not walk up to random people and hassle them. However in some cases that is the exact idea. i.e. DUI checkpoints. In fact you are being randomly hassled and must comply. For this thread it's not random so this doesn't even apply.

2. Not sure about all states but in Ca the drivers license does not belong to you. It's "issued to you" to use.

3. If the cop has reason to ask you relevant questions and you lie then you are breaking the law. i.e. your identity and if you have identity on you. It doesn't have to be a DL. It could be your student ID or even library card as well. In reality you could probably just say, "oh I didn't know I had my ID on me."

But anyway, the only reason to be worried about having to produce an ID, or trying to lie about not having one is because somebody knows they're guilty.

organically fed
    kid? screw you.

So you were/are a douche cop, that doesnt mean they all are
    1. No thanks, Buckaroo...I'm straight.

2. A lot of them are, it's the nature of the job.

3. You're making a fool of yourself, little anke-biter. Please stop.

Thanks!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    Bicycle Use. VC 21200

Every person riding a bicycle upon a street or highway has all the rights and is subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle.....
    They need to throw a clause in there that says, "Except for when you're sitting at a traffic light and it doesn't sense you there. Then you can go ahead and run it after waiting 10 minutes."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got a ticket in Chico for the same thing, running a stop sign and a red light, Got pulled by the CHP on my bike, pretty funny. Long story short, they sent the ticket to my dorm, I didn't get the ticket until 3 months later after the winter break. I called the court, there was a bench warrant for my arrest and the fine was up to $1600!

I scheduled the next court date available and plead guilty but could I explain to the court my actions to reduce my fine. I told him about being a college student, explained the mix up with the mail in my dorm, and stated my case for a bike running a redlight not being as bad as a car. With a minimal amount of back and forth he reduced my fine to $35 and said "Next Case"

I think with these deals, it is all about who you get as the judge. Only bad thing is that area can not be doing well with tax income to the city, so expect a harder fight for a reduced fine, but you have a good chance. Good luck
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

pro leisure tour
    i was being safe, i ALWAYS slow to make sure it is safe at every intersection.
    Thats pretty much how I ride as well. The court option may be best for you in hopes of reducing the fine. Sounds like you will play the "student" card?

BTW - when did you see the cop? If the judge asks you this will you tell him/her that you saw the cop the whole time but since you were operating safely it didn't seem like a problem to you?

I hope the fine is small.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

There was a good thread on BARF about IDs and bicycles.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...2&postcount=25
    http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...2&postcount=40

motorman4life is an officer (as are SilverSys, JPM, afm199 if you read the whole thread)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alamere
    There was a good thread on BARF about IDs and bicycles.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...2&postcount=25
    http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...2&postcount=40

motorman4life is an officer (as are SilverSys, JPM, afm199 if you read the whole thread)
    that was interesting to read. glad to know i did everything right in my situation.

mtbr member
    I grew up in Davis. UCD was my urban riding playground. Lots of staircases, loading docks, hidden alleyways, etc...
    Of course the UCD bike cops didn't like me very much. After a couple of speeding tickets (15 MPH spped limit on campus), I just learned it was more fun to out run the cops. Not one of them could keep up with me and it was always easy to ditch them.

Not that I recommend this course of action to anybody now.......

I got a ticket from a city of Davis cop for blowing a stop sign. I was on the sidewalk, going around a right corner and he gave me a ticket for not stopping at the stop sign.
    Back then, the fine was only about $30, but the court clerk looked at it and said "A ticket on your bike? This is stupid. I'll take care of this." I never paid a dime.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Urban Ninja
    I didn't read all of the responses here but when I was living in AZ I got a ticket on my bike for an illegal lane change because I got hit from behind by a truck going about 40mph when I was trying to get out of the left lane as traffic was picking up speed but I failed to signal. The car should have got a failure to control vehicle ticket also but the cop was a major diC. Amazingly I wasn't hurt much but it ruined my full XTR race bike. It was a bad deal but anyway... I was so bitter that I just paid the ticket and didn't try to go to traffic school. The points did go on my MVR record and when I went to get insurance I had to show proof the the points attributed were when I was on a bicycle and most insurance companies overlooked those points. Bottom line, do some research into the CA laws and call insurance companies to see what effect this might have, go to traffic school or whatever to get this off your MVR. Don't deal with this hassle for 3 years like I did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    I grew up in Davis. UCD was my urban riding playground. Lots of staircases, loading docks, hidden alleyways, etc...
    Of course the UCD bike cops didn't like me very much. After a couple of speeding tickets (15 MPH spped limit on campus), I just learned it was more fun to out run the cops. Not one of them could keep up with me and it was always easy to ditch them.

Not that I recommend this course of action to anybody now.......

I got a ticket from a city of Davis cop for blowing a stop sign. I was on the sidewalk, going around a right corner and he gave me a ticket for not stopping at the stop sign.
    Back then, the fine was only about $30, but the court clerk looked at it and said "A ticket on your bike? This is stupid. I'll take care of this." I never paid a dime.
    nice. if only it was that easy these days.

Jan 2009
    hi all,

not sure if anyone is going to pick up this old thread, but I was recently ticketed for running the red light at Redhill and Sir Francis Drake. I am relatively new to the area and didn't realize the cops are serious about cyclist following the laws... Well the ticket is $436! So after reading this thread I decided I'm going to fight it in hopes of having the ticket reduced... I like the idea of admitting somewhat guilt but pointing out the positives of the situation such as taking responsibility for actions if I get hurt, noting road conditions and safety gear I have/wear... Does anyone else have tips for a successful court appearance hear in Marin?

thanks for the help!

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlerdude
    hi all,

not sure if anyone is going to pick up this old thread, but I was recently ticketed for running the red light at Redhill and Sir Francis Drake. I am relatively new to the area and didn't realize the cops are serious about cyclist following the laws... Well the ticket is $436! So after reading this thread I decided I'm going to fight it in hopes of having the ticket reduced... I like the idea of admitting somewhat guilt but pointing out the positives of the situation such as taking responsibility for actions if I get hurt, noting road conditions and safety gear I have/wear... Does anyone else have tips for a successful court appearance hear in Marin?

thanks for the help!
    Wow. Did you actually get the ticket and know you have to pay $436, or are you applying the penalty for driving a car to bikes? Like I said before, I was surprised with my SA ticket that my actual fine was much less than what it would have been was I driving a car.

Did you know you can have any bicycle ticket reduced to $50 with the MCBC street skills class?

Jan 2009
    Cool thanks for the tip, I will surly look in taking the class.

Yes, I received a "courtesy notice" and says my bail amount is $436....

Retro on Steroids
    not sure if anyone is going to pick up this old thread, but I was recently ticketed for running the red light at Redhill and Sir Francis Drake.
    Which direction? I live close to there, and I cross in creative directions all the time, never been hassled.

Maybe because I'm a "local."

Sundays are the days to observe the traffic rules in San Anselmo, because that is the day when the pickings are easy for the police.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlerdude
    Cool thanks for the tip, I will surly look in taking the class.

Yes, I received a "courtesy notice" and says my bail amount is $436....
    The bail amount is that high because that's the fine for running a stop sign or red light with a motor vehicle, which of course has the potential of killing someone.

Definitely worth your time to go to court and plead "guilty with an explanation" or see if traffic school is an option. Be early, be neat and well groomed, know what you are going to say and be concise.

You, of course, didn't just blow through the intersection, but had slowed but then failed to come to a complete stop as you observed that there was no cross traffic.

mtbr member
    My Guess is they will still find you guilty but offer you the class and have it reduced to $50, BTW Marin Brewing Company is just down the street from the class for a little pre-education warm up

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Yeah go to court, judges usually scoff off bicycle tickets and cut em down to size,
    I wish cops would lay off traffic tickets and go arrest Obama, Pelosi and Martha Stewart =) =) Those white collar criminals shank the public good for HUGE bucks and we get fined for pedaling a bike through a red light .. wtf

Jan 2009
    I was stopped on Sir Francis Drake waiting to make a left on Redhill coming from Fairfax. The cop had the left arrow first across the intersection and was gone. I waited till there were no cars moving in through the intersection and made my left before the arrow turned to clear out before the pile of cars behind me needed to pass.. Apparently the cop noticed me on his pass and said "I had a look as I was about to do something illegal", so he was watching me after he passed. So I should have been a bit smarter than to go for it. I am almost paranoid now going through stop signs... I'm hoping to just sign up the the street skills class and get the reduction. Thanks for all the advise!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey guys, just wanted to bump this thread as I got a citation at Sausalito that costs $479. I've read about the street skills class in Marin, I'm curious as how everyone's experience was? (Did everybody get their refund?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    bump?

mtbr member
    From what I remember the class was about 2 hours and was taught at the time by the Breezer bike CEO who did a good job at keeping it interesting and the time went by fairly quickly.

It was also interesting to see what people actually got tickets for, lets just say Sausalito cops are the biggest a-holes around and the reason I'll never spend another dime in that town and I used to bring visting guests there a couple times a year.

Do not recall how long it took to get my refund, but I did.

http://www.marinbike.org/Events/MGH/CitationRules.shtml

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Delay, delay, delay.

Then, trial by written declaration.

If that doesn't get you out've it, request trial de novo.

Retro on Steroids
    Wouldn't do this now, but in the 'seventies I was with a friend and we were stopped for a minor infraction. We gave our names as Eddy Merckx and Tom Simpson.

Couple of years ago I took a seatbelt violation to court, and after a 20-minute trial I had the satisfaction of the judge telling the CHP to his face that he was lying and the case was dismissed. My criminal defense attorney friend couldn't believe that I won in traffic court, the most notoriously one-sided tribunal short of a dictatorship.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So stupid thing just happened. I requested a day off for March 28th, thinking that was when the class was. It was actually March 23rd, which was 2 days ago. They don't have any more classes listed....

mtbr member
    I was ticketed back in 88ish. The situation was lousy, the officer was not a professional by today's standard. The fine was $20, I think. I did not pay it for technical reasons. The really lousy part was the officer was belligerent, and very quickly threatened me with immediate arrest and incarceration. His much older partner, and I think his superior, let this all happen without saying a word. I had done some time and was very sure I was not in that kind of jeopardy...and I was pre-law...and I was but I didn't know that then. At any rate, I went at the guy with all the BS I could deliver, and he just got more and more pissed off at me. The irony is that I took all the good info he gave me and never had another problem in my 3 years at UCD. It was actually kind of fun. In the end I was part of a group of cyclists who were asked to weigh in on cycling related issues.

So the moral is, Davis probably won't charge too much, and I bet the officer was a pro....am I right?

Members who have read this thread: 0